Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: NIN albums you want to see played live in full

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

NIN albums you want to see played live in full

I want to see pretty much every NIN album played in full. The Downward Spiral and Broken were already played in 2009 and 2018, respectively. So the ones I most want played in full now are Pretty Hate Machine, The Fragile, and Year Zero. I think Year Zero should be especially appropriate for the times we are living in.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Year Zero and based off the article on their website I could see it happen at Riotfest this year.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Year Zero and based off the article on their website I could see it happen at Riotfest this year.
    What article was that?

That would be awesome, especially for the live debuts of MVH and Zero-Sum (complete).

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I’d like Still done in full, and The Slip so we finally get Demon Seed live.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Year Zero seems to be the best answer for me by a mile if they coordinate the stage show to the theme as well.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Year Zero seems to be the best answer for me by a mile if they coordinate the stage show to the theme as well.
    Doesn't hurt that it's more relevant than ever lately.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    They'd have to bring Rob back for that, wouldn't they? And I'm not sure he'll be available, being a first time dad and all that

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Year Zero because as others had said it’s more relevant than ever
    Pretty Hate Machine purely because #KindaIWant22
    And The Fragile just because it deserves it, even if it would be the only time(s) some of those songs were played.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    All of them in the order they were released along with a few singles such as Deep and TPD. Probably have to be split into 3 or 4 nights, preferably at the Aragon ballroom. Pretty sure this happed in a dream I had. Also this:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Fragile, obviously. Already saw The Downward Spiral back in 2009 at Webster Hall.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The Fragile, but it would definitely have to be done right. One off performance with guest musicians. Beyond that, the EP trilogy played back-to-back-to-back would be fun. I would have said Year Zero too if we weren't already living in it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The Fragile, but it would definitely have to be done right. One off performance with guest musicians.
    For awhile I had convinced myself that the final show of the 2022 tour in Cleveland might be the one, based on Trent's article back before COVID:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...erview-905456/

I wonder if we could do The Fragile. There are eight songs we don’t know. So maybe next time we tour, we’ll do our homework and work up a few of them. I’d like to say there’s a great master plan behind all that; usually, it’s inspiration when it’s too late to actually do anything.
    However, the more I thought about it, they would really need an indoor venue with pretty much all the freedom they could get, not an outdoor venue presumably with an 11pm curfew or something. Although I guess the album is just under 2 hours, I suppose. Maybe they could squeeze it in, and even do a quick Kinda I Want To (with all of the HOTF band members represented on stage) for the encore just to see what happens.

Doing YZ at Riot Fest actually doesn't seem too out there of a possibility, especially given that festival's history of bands playing full albums. It's also just about the right length to do that + a few hits/extras at the end. I loved hearing BotE as an opener; that preluded by HP! would be pretty sweet.

Edit: It also kinda feels like they know that doing the four-song intro tease of SD/Day/TF/TW has the nice side-effect of hardcore fans letting their guard down. So that one day when they intro it ... no big deal. And then all of a sudden they blast their way into WITT and Fragile and then Mike Garson walks out for JLYI, and everyone in the crowd knows they're in for a wild ride. Ahh, some day.
    Last edited by pwing47; 07-12-2022 at 03:22 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    ^ They’re very talented musicians. I’m sure they can learn those 8 songs lol.

Which 8 would they be? My guess…

We’re In This Together
    The Great Below
    Where Is Everybody?
    I’m Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally
    Underneath It All
    Ripe (With Decay)

10 Miles High
    The New Flesh

I’m sure they know Please and Complication.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 07-12-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pwing47 View Post
    Mike Garson Charlie Clouser with theremin walks out for JLYI,
    fixed that for you

Given the recent song arrangements tendency, I think they'd do songs like Pilgrimage or Underneath It All with their Kraftwerk-like setup (no live drums, AC and AR jamming on synths, Robin and maybe Ilan adding guitars or other shit). Probably Where Is Everybody too, it's guitar-heavy, but drums probably won't work too good on an acoustic kit. Not much to do on cymbals either.

teitan, are you writing all this down?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Wasn't there rumblings of in the early days of The Fragile the lineup would have been more keyboard focused before the scope of the album changed? Keith Hillebrandt was going to be involved or something. Wouldn't be impossible for them to do something similar and everyone in the band seems to be able to play anything these days now :P

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    ^ They’re very talented musicians. I’m sure they can learn those 8 songs lol.

Which 8 would they be? My guess…

We’re In This Together
    The Great Below
    Where Is Everybody?
    I’m Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally
    Underneath It All
    Ripe (With Decay)

10 Miles High
    The New Flesh

I’m sure they know Please and Complication.
    I was thinking:

Pilgrimage, IIRC it was only played as a tape to open some of the 2006 WT Fall so since it wasn't an opener he's saying they wouldn't just stop and play a tape.
    Please - probably an easy one to take on, just not something they've put effort into.

While I'm here JLYI, Great Below, and Mark Has Been Made need to return to the setlist. At least at all of the California shows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    I want to see pretty much every NIN album played in full. The Downward Spiral and Broken were already played in 2009 and 2018, respectively. So the ones I most want played in full now are Pretty Hate Machine, The Fragile, and Year Zero. I think Year Zero should be especially appropriate for the times we are living in.
    I feel the same way about this, maybe moreso about Year Zero just because how relevant the themes from that album are right now. Year Zero live, front to back needs to happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Realistically, I would want Pretty Hate Machine and Not The Actual Events to be played in full. Except for Kinda I Want To, they have played every song on the album enough where it could happen. Not the Actual Events would be cool as I have a soft spot for it and they have played 4/5 songs live at this point.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    The Fragile, for sure.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I'd have to say Not the Actual Events just so I can hear The Idea of You live. Also, Year Zero mostly so I could hear My Violent Heart, Meet Your Master, and Zero-Sum live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    Pretty Hate Machine purely because #KindaIWant22
    I see there's more than just me. Kinda I Want To and Twist have to make an appearance at least once in my lifetime.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    It can GO a little DEEPer.

edit: come to think of it, Twist should be the theme song to Hellraiser.

I'm wearing these chains
    You make it hurt real good
    I love, love the pain.