Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2022.06.21 London, UK @ O2 Academy Brixton

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2022.06.21 London, UK @ O2 Academy Brixton

Brixton

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Phew, just got home. Made it onto the rail and stood pretty much exactly where I stood in 1999 for the Fragility v1.0 tour. The set was a real mix of the two Eden shows (plus Sunspots), and they more or less managed to combine my favourite bits from each show into one set. I absolutely love the current version of Sanctified. TR has been on consistently chipper form for all of these shows, which is great to see.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've gotta say that show topped any NIN shows I've seen prior to now - seen every London date since the Year Zero tour (except the Scala gig ) and a couple of others elsewhere. Setlist was superb - I love Sunspots, and was praying they played it, so, made up with that (and Everything), and finally got to see The Perfect Drug in the flesh. I'd forgotten how overwhelming the double bass drums at the end of Wish are - the roar that greeted that was immense! And yes, Trent did seem pretty chipper last night! Can't wait until they venture over again. Or the 'soundtracks tour'....

It was weird being in the front row of the balcony and recognising quite a few people in the front row downstairs!

My videos from the night - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KuRBSSYtN9slpQ
    Last edited by simonn; 06-23-2022 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Video link

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Many thoughts to come for my 7th NIN show, but first just this… “god money, nail me up against the wall”

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Happy (to see all those familiar faces again). Queueing and railing was fun, but killing me...
    Back home already, Eurostar and regular train Belgium/Netherlands helped me out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I uploaded a few of my pictures to this Facebook page. (NIN.hu)

Really loved this gig
    I much prefer the Brixton Academy than the O2 where they were playing at the last tour...
    Also, so happy to finally have a drum stick from Ilan. I already have one from Jerome Dillon and Josh Freese, so I'm happy I got one from him at the end of the gig.

https://www.facebook.com/31867238386...fNADaqCeWMA8l/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It was nice to see you ��

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    tl;dr -> Fucking epic show. Shame I missed @zsorzs - we saw each other, and waved, but just too far apart - and too dense a crowd, to make it work.

Long post - but well deserved! I've told many people already that, for me, this show was 30 years in the making! I've been fortunate to see NIN about a dozen times over the years, but always in stadiums, arenas, festivals. Always seemed to have the mis-fortune of a clash, or something, when they played a tiny venue (like the O2 Academy). All the previous shows, I have enjoyed - don't get me wrong! But something was missing for me. I wanted to be 'down there', in the mix, on the rail. This was my chance.

Somehow got a floor ticket (step one done). Plan was: leave work early. Sainsbury's meal deal. Eat in the queue. Doors. Poster. Cloakroom (to leave the poster). Bathroom. Then as close as I could get. Everything was spot on - except I was so excited, I skipped the bathroom! No bother, somehow it didn't bother me all night. Lucky!

Small venue = small rail, and so I was second back from the rail, just to stage-left of centre. That will do. Just the long 2-hour wait for NIN now!

The wait was worth. every. second. It was such a different experience for me. To be able to see facial expressions on the band, and to spot all the little nuances that make the show come alive. And yes, he did seem chipper! Like he was really enjoying himself up there.

The feelings and sensations of being right there, in the mix. Crazy. Surging, squishing, screaming lyrics, trying to stay upright, pumping fists, trying to hold my spot AND still watch intently. I pulled it off. I like the respect down there. I like the staff handing out water (and occasionally someone didn't quite get a hand on one, and it dumps on you, and you get a bit of a cooling off ). I loved the show.

After HLAH, it was time. I tapped out and got the security to pull me over the rail. I had fulfilled my wish. Hurried my way to the back, grabbed 2 beers (finished them before Hurt - I guess I was thirsty!) and found a clear line of sight for the last 3 songs. For me, it was the perfect ending - I could just stand back, relax, reflect, enjoy a beer (or 2) and enjoy a very stationary view for the finale

Thanks for sticking with the story! Like I said - it's been a long time coming. From hearing Something I Can Never Have and Terrible Lie way back in 1992, and culminating in my dream session last night. Maybe I'll get to do it again someday? Maybe then, it will be on the rail

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yes @bthitman , when I saw how close you are I knew it would be very hard to get there so I just left it and went to get one more drink
    I remember when they played 4 nights in Brixton in 2005 I was at the front row at the final evening. Crazy times

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I enjoyed this concert.

I tested positive for Covid the next day (doing fine) - do an LFT, folks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I also feel poorly, but tested negative yesterday morning and evening...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    I enjoyed this concert.

I tested positive for Covid the next day (doing fine) - do an LFT, folks!
    I thought a positive test took a few days after contracting the virus…so you may have been positive at the gig.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainkurtz View Post
    I thought a positive test took a few days after contracting the virus…so you may have been positive at the gig.
    Yes it could have been from Manchester the day before or from The Eden Project. That it either entered or was present in my system during the show means that it's worth others' testing. My LFT on Wednesday morning was a routine one; I also did a test before leaving for Cornwall.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    Yes it could have been from Manchester the day before or from The Eden Project. That it either entered or was present in my system during the show means that it's worth others' testing. My LFT on Wednesday morning was a routine one; I also did a test before leaving for Cornwall.
    Apologies. I didn’t mean it to come across as accusatory. I hope you’re feeling ok and get that negative test soon!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Such a great fucking end to a fantastic little tour. The energy topped even the Glasgow show, which was intense as fuck. So glad I made it over to the UK to catch these shows

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    Happy (to see all those familiar faces again). Queueing and railing was fun, but killing me...
    Back home already, Eurostar and regular train Belgium/Netherlands helped me out.
    Leuk om je te ontmoeten! Altijd fijn een beetje nederlands te babbelen

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thought I’d give a late journal entry on this.

This was my first *intense* show since Covid, and it definitely was a marker of my change in attitudes towards mosh pits etc. My friend got us in early on the O2 Priority access so I found myself quite surprised and unprepared to be in the pit.

Yves Tumor was fantastic, really great. Felt like at first the crowd was wary of him, but as it carried on the vibes grew and grew. I’m not a new fan, but hands down they’re the best support I’ve seen for NIN (bar Jane’s Addiction, but I don’t think that counts)

The first few songs of NIN’s set could not have been more intense, and as soon as the first moment of Mr Self Destruct hit, I felt my legs go to jelly. I’m not sure if it was a lack of water, a long stressful day, anxiety or a mixture of all three, but I knew I wouldn’t be lasting the whole show there immediately. Still, I stuck it out as much as I could for such a ridiculously intense first section. As soon as Piggy started I tapped out.

Here was my biggest issue: A goth couple who were to my rear right side seemed to be happy to be at the front, but not happy to be near a mosh pit, and even unhappier with me personally for some reason. I felt several sharp, aggressive shoves throughout the four songs I was in for to the point I realised that this wasn’t just the usual roughness of a pit. I couldn’t help but ask them as I left why on earth were they near a pit if they couldn’t handle it… didn’t really get a response though. Ugh.

As I walked back up lots of people complimented my Smashing Pumpkins Zero shirt, which was nice. I also made a few people laugh by yelling “THERE’S A FUCKING RAINBOW” during Less Than.

The set was phenomenal, I think I should’ve paced myself better and placed myself better for the night. The show was so full that I could only stand at the back by the bar really. I made Twitter go nuts with my Sunspots video.

Did a weird thing and left when Hurt started. I think it’s become my “Seven Nation Army” for NIN.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Full show is up: