Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: January 6th Committee Hearings

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    According to the law, no, it's not treason. The words "treason" and "treasonous" have evolved over the years but the US code has not and pretty specifically refers to aiding the enemy.

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?...edition=prelim

If anything, it's Seditious Conspiracy. I saw this a bit ago but I can't recall who said it: (paraphrasing) DOJ action / inaction will look the same for a long time until they either indict or announce no charges. It's probably the most consequential decision DOJ has ever had to make, not just because he's a former president but because both action and inaction will have vast repercussions for years to come. This can't be rushed and progress will not be public.

I'd love to see something come from all this but I'm not particularly hopeful.

Edit: To expand on this a bit...obviously, there have been several charges of Seditious Conspiracy so far, Stewart Rhodes and Enrique Tarrio being the most significant, so it seems odd that DOJ would stop at the Oathkeepers / Proud Boys with that line of prosecution. If there were a true conspiracy it would likely extend further up the chain, something the Committee has been working towards in their hearings. As this article lays out, the charge is somewhat difficult to prosecute but I'm struck by the prosecution / conviction following another attack on the Capitol in 1954, given it's loose parallels to Jan 6. So in one sense, it bodes well that DOJ feels the evidence is strong against those charged and hopefully they are able to charge others up the chain. But on the other hand, any conviction for Seditious Conspiracy will be a difficult one, even with the testimony of all the dudes that eventually flip on Rhodes and Tarrio. Mark Meadows flipping would help but I would be surprised if that ever happens.
    Last edited by cdm; 07-15-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I have the feeling they may go for something else, entirely.

Criminal charges are supposedly being brought against Meadows, soon, which will be interesting.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-15-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I am confused again, and none of this is me trying to be an asshole to anyone here, but I thought we’d landed on “He’s probably going to get away with all of it” to now some speculation he won’t?

I’m looking for answers and hope here. For real. It seems like this is all pageantry and perhaps knowledge for those that weren’t following 1/6 too closely.

Additionally, for the record, I hope I’m wrong and Trump finally sees consequences for the first time. I just don’t believe it’ll happen and I do firmly believe we’re running out of time for consequences to be possible.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    He can't just "get away with it" and run again. I think they're going to conclude that he is unfit to run for office... which is probably part of the reason Trump is looking to announce his candidacy early. He wants to get his base mobilized to the point where the GOP feels threatened.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I wonder if the conclusion from this actually might just be a fitting punishment; that this is the defining moment of his presidency. A cowardly tantrum that riled up a crowd of conspiracy theorists and generally shitty, stupid, pissed off people into attempting a popcorn fart of an insurrection. He can't sustain this. It will haunt him, like the way we think about OJ Simpson in hindsight. We're not remembering his sports acumen or career as an actor.

This will be the way history books remember Trump, and he'll know it. January 6th and the subsequent hearings that exposed him will be his "Boston Tea Party." I hope it's his "Rosebud" moment too. When the MAGA crowd fades, he knows that he's a fucking loser, he lost, and that's what he'll be remembered as: a giant loser. People will say "don't be a fucking Trump" when they're calling someone a bad sport.

Even if that's all the "satisfaction" we'll ever get, it's got to be enough.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This guy? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Ornato

He’s fucking shady.

The testimony of Cassidy Hutchinson was credible.

The only ones refuting it are Trump, Ornato and some Secret Service.

Note that Ornato is totally beholden to Trump , because he’s obviously afraid of Trump. And any Secret Service members who’ve refuted Hutchinson’s testimony have refused to do so under oath, including Ornato.

But changing over phones ON JANUARY 5TH AND 6TH???

Nope, that SCREAMS cover-up.

Bring in others who can corroborate Hutchinson’s testimony. And go after Ornato. And Trump.

This is a cover-up. Which, alone, is illegal.

It’s what brought down Nixon.

There are other witnesses.

See below video, “Tony” = Ornato.

Last edited by allegro; 07-15-2022 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    What's really crazy is that the central controversial scandal that brought down Nixon is nothing compared to this, and nobody is really feeling comfortable declaring that (yet?). This "scandal" laughs at Watergate.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    It’s true!!!

This makes Watergate look like amateurs.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I guess next week’s prime time Committee hearing will focus on all the hours when law enforcement at the Capitol was under siege and the VP and members of Congress were in serious danger; and Trump was repeatedly warned about this, that the rioters were armed, that they were threatening to hang Pence, etc., and the focus of the hearing will be on Trump’s refusal to act.

And how, ultimately, VP Pence acted to call in the National Guard.

This will undoubtedly show dereliction of duty by Trump. Which violates his oath.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    And how, ultimately, VP Pence acted to call in the National Guard.
    That's gotta resonate with some people. That's fucked up!
    Really when you think about it, that could have gotten sooooooooo much worse if it'd been left to progress "naturally," and the president wanted that to happen. He's like some mad king watching it all burn, and then the vice president has to jump in and hit the "fuck this!" button. Has anything like this ever happened before?

The vice president had to step in and intercede, and only after a crazed crowd was chanting for him to be publicly executed. I just cannot get over how bonkers this is.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-15-2022 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    And this was after people had been literally BEGGING the President to do something for HOURS!!

Fucking SEAN HANNITY! Members of his Cabinet!

HIS OWN DAUGHTER tried to get him to tell the rioters to stop!

Members of Congress and Governors from other states were calling and begging for permission to send in the Guard.

Trump continued to refuse, for HOURS, while people DIED at the Capitol.

And, according to Cassidy Hutchinson, Trump said that Pence was “going to get what he deserved” when Trump was warned that rioters were chanting “Hang Mike Pence!” and had constructed gallows.

Pence was able to make the call to override the President and to call in the Guard, himself. I’m not even sure under what AUTHORITY, but it’s good that he did. Trump’s people later lied and said Trump did it, but it was all proven to be a lie.

The fact that so many rioters are testifying that they only left the Capitol when Trump told them to leave, via Tweet, just proves that they were being directed by Trump.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-15-2022 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Remember, too, that Trump and his team were behind FAKE ELECTORS in seven states, wherein GOP electors claimed they were to replace Democratic electors in “contested” states due to “fraud.”

These fake electors tried to take over on December 14th in each of these 7 states (the official certification deadline in all the states):

https://www.newsweek.com/michigan-re...-1555028?amp=1

https://www.newsweek.com/arizina-gop...-1675706?amp=1

When THAT didn’t work, the plan was to send these phony certified electoral votes to CONGRESS to be “counted” on January 20th.

Now, TODAY in Georgia:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/geo...ys-2022-07-16/

The prosecutor for Georgia's Fulton County has warned high-profile Republicans in that state they could be indicted for their role in efforts by ex-President Donald Trump and his supporters to overturn the result of the 2020 election, Yahoo News reported on Friday.

District Attorney Fani Willis has written letters to people including Georgia Republican Party Chairman David Shafer and State Senators Burt Jones and Brandon Beach over their role in an alleged alternate electors scheme in that state, Yahoo reported, citing unnamed legal sources familiar with the matter.

The scheme was aimed at appointing alternate electors pledged to Trump despite current President Joe Biden's victory in Georgia, Yahoo said.

Representatives for Shafer, Jones and Beach did not immediately respond to emailed requests for comment.

Willis, a Democrat, is leading a criminal investigation into Trump’s attempts to influence the state’s 2020 election results.

Yahoo, citing an interview with Willis, also said she was considering requesting that Trump testify under oath to the special grand jury investigating his conduct. Willis declined to comment on the letters, Yahoo said.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-15-2022 at 11:19 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Awesome thread LOL:

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    well, now the Jan 6th Committee has subpoenaed the secret service about the deleted texts.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/16/11118...e-erased-texts

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I’m re-watching the WHOLE hearing from last Tuesday and found out that the “Yellow Oval” is actually in the RESIDENCE on the SECOND FLOOR of the West Wing!

So, at some point, some of these goofs that were fighting at the December 2021 meeting ended up in the Presidential residence!!

Wtf.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Speaking of which, is there a resource that is collecting and organizing these complete hearings, with notes, takes, and highlight clips? I've found myself just throwing this on in the background, and I'd really prefer to just go through complete recordings. Someone's gotta be organizing all this right?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Speaking of which, is there a resource that is collecting and organizing these complete hearings, with notes, takes, and highlight clips? I've found myself just throwing this on in the background, and I'd really prefer to just go through complete recordings. Someone's gotta be organizing all this right?
    MSNBC has all 7 hearings so far online:

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/wa...7-143929413922

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I've also come across this interesting New Yorker article, that is basically a collection of links to other articles and highlights. I haven't gone through it all yet, because it's really a lot, but it definitely seems like an interesting thing to flip through

Go incognito if you need to get past the paywall

https://www.newyorker.com/books/doub...crbFZnb7h0tj7c

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Anyone shocked?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I mean, a little bit. They're actually keeping that story going? especially after the whole "How dare you say we lost these texts" bull crap excuse.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    They can recover them, they just don’t want to.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

🎶wouldn't it be nice🎶

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    They can recover them, they just don’t want to.
    The consensus is that these guys really know how to delete shit, they're in charge of security; so they really lit the shit on fire and buried the ashes.

The only saving grace would be if some rogue Secret Service agent managed to keep some stuff on a private device.

At least we shouldn't hear "but her emails" ever again.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Tonight's final hearing is prime time and is going to focus on dereliction of duty (or whatever the legal terminology equivalent), Trump's refusal to carry out his duties on January 6th. This should be really good.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/21/polit...ing/index.html

Here's minute-by-minute details of J6, using information we know so far.

Mitch McConnell the evening of January 6th:

The United States and the United States Congress have faced down much greater threats than the unhinged crowd we saw today. We have never been deterred before, and we will be not deterred today. They try to disrupt our democracy, they failed. They failed. They failed to attempt to obstruct Congress. This failed insurrection only underscores how crucial the task before us is, for our republic,"
    Last edited by allegro; 07-21-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    besides trump’s outtakes, liz cheney calling out the grown ass men was my favorite part of tonight’s hearings.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The outtakes OH my God, with Ivanka in the background (no WONDER she worked in the White House)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Last edited by allegro; 07-22-2022 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

I mean you gotta start somewhere.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Who is this mysterious person...?

So either she's got actual schizophrenia or someone lost the password.