Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: 2022.05.25 Philadelphia, PA @ The Met

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

2022.05.25 Philadelphia, PA @ The Met

Night 2

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Someone asked me why I was seeing NIN two nights in a row. If they don’t have the massive production like Tension, they’ll usually play vastly different setlists. Only four of the same songs were played both nights.

Tonight was more old school NIN, with lots of Broken and TDS. They just walked on stage and started playing Wish. Last, The Becoming, and Sin were excellent. The crowd around me thought that The Becoming intro was for Reptile (which followed) due to the green lights. It seemed like they were up against a time limit tonight, because they basically ran back on stage for Hurt.

Edit: Me, I’m Not was great as well. It was nice to see it live again.
    Last edited by cynicmuse; 05-25-2022 at 11:04 PM. Reason: I forgot something

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynicmuse View Post
    It seemed like they were up against a time limit tonight, because they basically ran back on stage for Hurt.
    This was the only bummer of the night, Head Like A Hole playing had me thinking "well at least there's still the encore" and when they came RIGHT back out after it and jumped into Hurt my heart sank. I just wasn't ready to see them go yet! A friend I made there pointed out they ended exactly at 11 so yeah I expect they took shit and or were fined for playing past curfew last night and were under the gun to end at 11. The setlist didn't have any missing tracks but they started earlier than expected, probably with the aim of finishing by 11.

Other than that less than pleasant surprise, another amazing and eclectic set, leaning much more into Broken and The Downward Spiral - no Fragile or trilogy songs (EDIT: nevermind they played The Frail / The Wretched you fucking idiot).

Wish
    Last
    Letting You
    Sin
    Echoplex
    The Frail
    The Wretched
    Sanctified
    Heresy
    The Becoming
    Reptile
    Closer
    Me, I'm Not
    Burn
    The Line Begins To Blur
    Suck
    I'm Afraid of Americans
    Gave Up
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like A Hole
    Hurt

Sin was a blast to finally see again, Last melted face, Heresy and The Line Begins To Blur sounded terrific, and it was great to see Me, I'm Not creep back in. But again, every song was a treat. The band was on fire once more. So sad that it's over that I'm hoping they book more dates between Boston Calling and the Euro dates, or between the Euro dates and the ones in September. Now that they're playing indoors again and not just outdoor venues, the sky is the limit.

Once again, everyone I met was so awesome and friendly. This is the best cult ever.

They soundchecked a lot that they played tonight (TLBTB, Last, Echoplex, Letting You). They also soundchecked Fashion and two other songs that have been played before but not for a while and not by this current lineup. One I have seen a few times and one I have never seen. I am hesitant to reveal what they were but I'm hoping the folks at Boston Calling get lucky...
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 05-26-2022 at 01:38 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    This was the only bummer of the night, Head Like A Hole playing had me thinking "well at least there's still the encore" and when they came RIGHT back out after it and jumped into Hurt my heart sank. I just wasn't ready to see them go yet! A friend I made there pointed out they ended exactly at 11 so yeah I expect they took shit and or were fined for playing past curfew last night and were under the gun to end at 11. The setlist didn't have any missing tracks but they started earlier than expected, probably with the aim of finishing by 11.

Other than that less than pleasant surprise, another amazing and eclectic set, leaning much more into Broken and The Downward Spiral - no Fragile or trilogy songs.

Wish
    Last
    Letting You
    Sin
    Echoplex
    The Frail
    The Wretched
    Sanctified
    Heresy
    The Becoming
    Reptile
    Closer
    Me, I'm Not
    Burn
    The Line Begins To Blur
    Suck
    I'm Afraid of Americans
    Gave Up
    The Hand That Feeds
    Head Like A Hole
    Hurt

Sin was a blast to finally see again, Last melted face, Heresy and The Line Begins To Blur sounded terrific, and it was great to see Me, I'm Not creep back in. The band was on fire once more. So sad that it's over that I'm hoping they book more dates between Boston Calling and the Euro dates, or between the Euro dates and the ones in September. Now that they're playing indoors again and not just outdoor venues, the sky is the limit.

Once again, everyone I met was so awesome and friendly. This is the best cult ever.

They soundchecked a lot that they played tonight (TLBTB, Last, Echoplex, Letting You). They also soundchecked Fashion and two other songs that have been played before but not for a while and not by this current lineup. One I have seen a few times and one I have never seen. I am hesitant to reveal what they were but I'm hoping the folks at Boston Calling get lucky...

Haha please can you pm me the two other songs, I’m super curious. Also can you come please back to Australia Trent!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As I’ve done with every NIN show I’ve ever been to I throw my quick review in afterwards and man what a show!!! What can I say about the set list that hasn’t already been said? 2009/Wave Goodbye era NIN is peak NIN for me since that was the time where my fanhood just exploded and this set list was basically plucked right from that era. The highlights for me at shows are seeing songs I haven’t seen live before and I got two tonight in Sin and Suck, Sin was so incredible I would’ve been satisfied if the show ended there.

I had an awesome vantage point in the pit, I was up against the back rail on Ilan’s side, this was the best I’ve ever been able to watch him play because usually he’s in the back not even on a riser. Once again really amazing night, we were probably a TPD added in to make it the most perfect set list ever, hope to see the band again within the next 12 months or so, get a NYC date booked already.

Also, I liked 100 Gecs more than I thought they would. Beyond cool seeing Josh play drums live again, would love to see him latch on to a bigger band again in the near future. I had such a great time I’ve almost forgotten about looking for street parking for 45 mins finding nothing and then paying $50 to park in a lot!
    Last edited by gorny540; 05-26-2022 at 12:39 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Once again a consistently surprising setlist. After making so sure not a single song was repeated from the previous, couldn’t feel slightly bummed out they didn’t stray from the H’s at the end, not even swap out THTF for Only which they have done a few times before. Also no SD or TPD for Philly!

Highlights were definitely the extended TDS sequence mid set, with Heresy, The Becoming and Reptile all played back to back. Last, Me I’m Not and especially The Line Begins To Blur were also amazing. Someone needs to do the math but I’m guessing were pretty close to where we were during CBI in terms of quantity of material ready to go in rotation!

Last show for a while… See you in the fall!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash512 View Post
    Someone needs to do the math but I’m guessing were pretty close to where we were during CBI in terms of quantity of material ready to go in rotation!
    47 songs in NIN 2022's live catalogue so far

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This was a face-melting show that left me surprised throughout most of the performance & had totally different vibes from the previous night!

My only complaint would be if you’re smoking in the queue, please step away so the smoke doesn’t blow in the faces of everyone down wind.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm still in the process of digesting the last two nights (short version: WOW, obviously). However, it just occurred to me that Josh Freese's drum fill during the 100 gecs set was the closest we got to MOTP last night. Weird and wonderful deviations from the expected...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    That Set list was fire both nights were amazing I missed out on a poster both nights if someone has a spare ill gladly buy it for cost or a tiny bit above cost bummed i missed getting a poster both nights.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Got to the venue early enough to easily find a street spot. Luckily walked up to the venue to find that it was last call to go in and buy merch before the doors opened. Took the opportunity to buy the show print, then met friends for dinner a few blocks away. Skipped 100 Gecs tonight, and got to my seat right before the show started. I was in one of those Grand Salle boxes tonight. Box #1 to be exact, basically on top of the stage. Incredible view of the show, highly recommended if you're going to a show at this venue in the future.

I know I've seen some errant comments on this topic on here before, but tonight I noticed for the first time that Trent 100% has a teleprompter right in front of him. It looks like another monitor speaker if you look quickly or have a diff. angle, but from where I was, I could see it was clearly a big box with a screen, angled perfectly towards him in a way that he can lean over and down to see the screen w/o too much fuss. I really only noticed him leaning on it during Last, Heresy & The Becoming. I have no problem w/him needing a little help during the real obscure stuff he's pulling out, part. considering the sheer amount of different songs they're learning & playing once again on this trek.

As has been said, this was obviously the better of the two Philly shows. Setlist was bananas, part. tracks 6 through 17. The energy kept rising during that span. An as every new song kicked in, the crowd kept reacting positively. That setlist reminded of this one as the only one that could really give it a run for it's money:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nine-...-53977785.html

I was at that Vegas show. I feel like the energy was better the other night in Philly, but I also was much closer to the action for this show than I was in Vegas. Either way, these are good problems to have haha. And finally seeing him play Heresy was just so amazing. And it sounded awesome, as did The Becoming.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 05-28-2022 at 04:27 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I actually think I preferred night #1's show, because I was right on the barricade, it was a little longer than night #2, and in EDIETS and AATCHB I got a couple songs I had not yet seen performed (plus the whole setlist was terrific and I had another night of NIN to look forward to afterward), but night #2 was also amazing and it's not hard to see why such an old school set would be a fan favorite. The last time I saw Sin, Heresy, and The Line Begins to Blur was during the Wave Goodbye 2009 club shows! And I won't ever get tired of seeing tracks like Burn and Suck. All I have to say is, considering AATCHB has thus far only been played as the penultimate track in encores before Hurt and that night #2 didn't have the traditional encore, I am even more eternally grateful they included it on night #1.

As far as 100 Gecs go, I had looked at their stuff on YouTube and felt extremely old and kind of bewildered, but I'm always respectful of the openers because obviously they're who Trent likes and wants to be performing, so I went in thinking "at worst it's just some extra time to wait before NIN." In the end I found myself pretty entertained by their sets, their endearing weirdo Gen Z attitude, and Laura's amusing stage banter, and as I shuffled around in my hotel room after night #2 I caught myself actually enjoying having a couple of their songs stuck in my head - it probably has something to do with knowing NIN's catalogue so well and 100 Gecs' songs being basically new to me and blasted into my brain two consecutive nights, but after seeing my favorite artist/band twice that definitely says something very complimentary about them so credit where credit is due.