Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Artists Inspired by Music: Interscope Reimagined limited edition vinyl reissues

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    No way these lazy and unfitting designs end up on Wikipedia/archive sites, directly under the pic of the normal album cover, as "alternate cover" like I see sometimes. Right?

I refused to believe he saw those and thought, "what a great interpretation of my work, this is worthy and fits the spirit of those albums", until I saw these pictures of the band posing with them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    I wonder if I know who Jimmy Iovine is and what his foundation plus the school
    he opened at usc was for. Kickback on his foundation via art sales, sounds right.

And I think Billie was gonna be famous regardless of label, dont kid yourself.
    You are oddly combative about the smallest things. Are you OK? seriously.

It's in the article that was posted earlier.
    The anniversary idea to commission album art came from Justin Lubliner, the savvy young record exec who shepherded Billie Eilish to stardom, sweeping the “big four” Grammy Awards (album, song, record and new artist)in 2020. Interscope executives John Janick, Steve Berman and Josh Abraham chose the painters and sculptors, along with billionaire company co-founder Jimmy Iovine.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    You either die Fist Fucking, or you live long enough to see yourself become The Becoming.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    I refused to believe he saw those and thought, "what a great interpretation of my work, this is worthy and fits the spirit of those albums", until I saw these pictures of the band posing with them.
    So hypothetically, let's say TR gets a message from Interscope that there's this artists-reinterpreting-album-covers project going on, they'd like Broken+TDS to be part of it, "would you agree to us using your albums, and help us promote it w/ a post on your website, and maybe show up to the premier?" or whatever. Someone further back in this thread mentioned that maybe there's money-to-charity involved? Maybe not, whatever. Anyway, later on you find out these are the covers that got landed on, and yeah, they're pretty crap, but what're you gonna do at that point? Try to raise a stink w/ the label and get them to find someone else to do the covers? Refuse to participate and throw a big monkey wrench in the works? Publicly distance yourself, throwing an even bigger monkey wrench in there? Or just go ahead and stick it up at nin.com and show up at the premier, and not spend any more mental energy on it.

Not saying that's how it went down, but IMO it's at least plausible. It'd be a risk you'd run, saying "sure, go ahead" to a thing like this, without having veto power over the final result (something else I find plausible).

(A counterpoint, of course, is that we know that TR's always been quite protective over the NIN brand, etc, but would he think it's worth making enemies by raising a stink, if he didn't like 'em? I'm not so sure.)

Anyway, just a thought. I was certainly in no danger of wanting to acquire these, personally, even before I saw those price tags.
    Last edited by xolotl; 01-28-2022 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    So hypothetically, let's say TR gets a message from Interscope that there's this artists-reinterpreting-album-covers project going on, they'd like Broken+TDS to be part of it, "would you agree to us using your albums, and help us promote it w/ a post on your website, and maybe show up to the premier?" or whatever. Someone further back in this thread mentioned that maybe there's money-to-charity involved? Maybe not, whatever. Anyway, later on you find out these are the covers that got landed on, and yeah, they're pretty crap, but what're you gonna do at that point? Try to raise a stink w/ the label and get them to find someone else to do the covers? Refuse to participate and throw a big monkey wrench in the works? Publicly distance yourself, throwing an even bigger monkey wrench in there? Or just go ahead and stick it up at nin.com and show up at the premier, and not spend any more mental energy on it.

Not saying that's how it went down, but IMO it's at least plausible. It'd be a risk you'd run, saying "sure, go ahead" to a thing like this, without having veto power over the final result (something else I find plausible).

(A counterpoint, of course, is that we know that TR's always been quite protective over the NIN brand, etc, but would he think it's worth making enemies by raising a stink, if he didn't like 'em? I'm not so sure.)

Anyway, just a thought. I was certainly in no danger of wanting to acquire these, personally, even before I saw those price tags.
    Maybe that is why it so bizarre to me. He will scrap entire video shoots and concert videos deemed not good enough for NIN. There is a division of NIN (tr/ar) vs TR/AR that suggests as you said, he is protective over the NIN brand. Only certain things can be considered NIN. Without a doubt there is thought put into all of this. So yes, I wouldve assumed these could easily and rightfully be scrapped by the man after the fact and without a second thought. Whatever, back to real life.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orson thrust View Post
    Maybe that is why it so bizarre to me. He will scrap entire video shoots and concert videos deemed not good enough for NIN. There is a division of NIN (tr/ar) vs TR/AR that suggests as you said, he is protective over the NIN brand. Only certain things can be considered NIN. Without a doubt there is thought put into all of this. So yes, I wouldve assumed these could easily and rightfully be scrapped by the man after the fact and without a second thought. Whatever, back to real life.
    If we're lowering the bar I'd love to see the TDTWWA/Everything/EDIETS videos get official releases, Rob get to finish and release 4k upscale AATCHB, all of the WG Club footage, and a proper vinyl pressing of Still.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I wonder if Trent & Atticus are fine with the covers simply because...well...they're not exactly going to devalue the work done on those albums. For them, it might be a case of "the legacy of these albums is secure, so why should we throw a fit if some random artists do special covers for them for a charity program?" We obviously care because we're silly fanatics, but they might just see it as a minor thing, not some grand artistic statement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i think (i hope) trent’s doing all of this just because it’s charity, thats why the brand tinting and stuff you guys mentioned

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Profits will be donated to the Iovine & Young Foundation which is building a school in South LA.
    ^ Is that an actual charity, and ARE they building an actual school? I know that Iovine and Dr. Dre donated millions to USC to build the Iovine-Young Academy on its campus several years ago. What is the Iovine & Young Foundation? Where is it registered? Who sits on the board? What is the mandate? When is this school set to be built? Who's going to run it? I cannot find any answers, just hype about this artwork launch. Would be nice to know. I understand that TR & AR are friendly with Iovine, and I'm a fan of the Good Doctor too, but this Foundation of theirs is almost a complete mystery.
    Last edited by botley; 01-29-2022 at 01:21 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    ^ Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I understand that TR & AR are friendly with Iovine
    It goes beyond friendly - Atticus is literally Iovine's fucking brother-in-law. It doesn't make NIN's apparently proud involvement in this any less disappointing, but when one reminds themselves of that - and that Iovine and Dre's foundation is the beneficiary of all the profits from this - it makes this move less surprising, if for all the wrong reasons. I'm glad that Trent himself isn't raking in the dollars from these gratuitously overpriced pieces of garbage (I've seen the term "Gucci prices" thrown out in reference to what NIN charges before but in this case it's very much literal), but think of this whole thing as some meaningful act of charity at your own peril. It's a long goddamn way from them selling unused tour merch to benefit food banks in the cities they were going to play in 2020. That was a wonderful thing to do, and the money went towards something really worthwhile. How charitable this whole thing really ends up being is questionable at best.
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 01-29-2022 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo bleh

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    I'm glad that Trent himself isn't raking in the dollars from these gratuitously overpriced pieces of garbage (I've seen the term "Gucci prices" thrown out in reference to what NIN charges before but in this case it's very much literal), but think of this whole thing as some meaningful act of charity at your own peril. It's a long goddamn way from them selling unused tour merch to benefit food banks in the cities they were going to play in 2020. That was a wonderful thing to do, and the money went towards something really worthwhile. How charitable this whole thing really ends up being is questionable at best.
    I'd like to believe that this will actually build a high school for South L.A. community and that it's going to be a great thing but I would like to see answers to my questions first.

There is also the real underlying problem with big ticket philanthropy — in that schools should be fully funded in ALL neighborhoods by a good strong public system, and food banks shouldn't even need to fucking exist. But that's not this universe.
    Last edited by botley; 01-29-2022 at 04:51 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah the world banning Maus isn't the one that wants the children educated.

Yes I know that CA != TN but it's a slippery slope.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    As much as I know people's hearts are in the right place, commenting on TR's weight is a little unnecessary.
    I meant it in a good way; he looks healthy, especially when watching your weight gets more important at his age.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Artists Inspired by Music: Interscope Reimagined limited edition vinyl reissues

look at nin tshirts and posters designs over the years. Do you like every single one? i know i don’t but am i an expert? Not really. I think TR isn’t as opinionated about art as we are. He’s more critical of his own creations than anybody else’s. His approach as a curator seems to be more of an observer than a consumer to me. He welcomes the ugly and usual when it comes to creativity. Which is probably why he’s not really concerned about opinions on these reimagined works.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    If the money's actually going to a good place, awesome. Doesn't change the fact that these are abominations, but hey, if it's for charity, cool.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I suggest we simply compartmentalize this event purely as 'interscope' and away from 'nin' or TR/AR.

Now doesn't that make you feel ...*dramatically poses with arms out*... better?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    So, here are some articles I found about the high school. To answer some of your questions, it appears to exist and is scheduled to open in the fall of 2022. According to the articles, it will be a magnet school and part of Los Angeles Unified School District, so I guess that means it's not a private school. It will eventually serve up to 250 students, and may particularly bring opportunity to Black and Latino children. It will be co-located on the Audubon Middle School campus.

I couldn't find any information about the "Iovine & Young Foundation" and about whether that is a non-profit or how its funds are allocated to this high school.

https://www.uscannenbergmedia.com/20...l-in-south-la/
    https://news.usc.edu/187803/lausd-ji...w-high-school/
    https://achieve.lausd.net/site/defau...07397&PageID=1
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90659330...-the-ground-up
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...ol-in-america/
    https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-in-south-l-a

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    So did anyone here bite the bullet and buy one?

I opened the app open when I got the alert but nope...couldn't do it. Even being a collector, I can really justify the spend on that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post

I opened the app open when I got the alert but nope...couldn't do it. Even being a collector, I can really justify the spend on that.
    No, if I wouldn't drop that on the TDS Echantillon test pressing or $1500 on something like this there's no way I could justify it.

Anyone want to offer some odds that the matrix etchings will match the 2017 DEs?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Anyone want to offer some odds that the matrix etchings will match the 2017 DEs?
    99.69%

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post

I would've done it if I wasn't getting married in a few weeks. My wife would not agree with me, especially with that 5000USD (holy shit!) price tag.

Curious, isn't 5000USD the price of the entire NIN Catalog? Would be fun to calculate how much it'll cost if you buy every Halo out there. Probably 2000USD.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    No, if I wouldn't drop that on the TDS Echantillon test pressing or $1500 on something like this there's no way I could justify it.

That signed Closer To God vinyl by all those people is amazing. How did he manage to get them all to sign in the exact same ink though?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    That signed Closer To God vinyl by all those people is amazing. How did he manage to get them all to sign in the exact same ink though?
    Talking with the original seller (not the ebay flipper), it was someone in the industry with access to the band and artists. I'm guessing it was some sort of a label event. I took a run at it last year, but it was just not the right time. Will certainly regret it, that belongs in Cleveland. Just knowing it exists is pretty cool.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That TDS test pressing link doesn't seem to work anymore, BUT the "other items you might like" included this gem.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    That TDS test pressing link doesn't seem to work anymore, BUT the "other items you might like" included this gem.

The link is for the CTG vinyl autographed by the 94 era members and others.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Well, all these months later and this is the only video I could find from someone who actually bought one of these (not one of the NIN editions, but a Lana Del Ray):

It's great that he has a sense of humour about it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    14:21 has The Downward Spiral cover.

Wow, it just keeps going with issues. I wouldn't be that excited about a $2800 glue stain with the cover falling off of a scratched disc and an unbound book of pages. But then he owns a store and a YT channel so he's probably way better off than I am.
    Last edited by allegate; 09-14-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    You know, it's still an absurd price tag, but with that Lana Del Ray record, I can at least buy that the artist's piece was actually informed and inspired by the artist / album in question. I'd find it very hard to believe that the "art" for Broken and The Downward Spiral was anything other than already-existing shit the artists had lying around that they remembered about and thought "close enough."

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Someone (DRanged691) on the official nin discord has 3 images posted in the nin-collectors chat.