Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2022

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slopesandsam View Post
    Was just watching the AppleTV+ show Roar, which is this semi-surreal feminist show that is, disappointingly, not particularly good. But, there's an episode in which a murderous incel has a NIN poster on his wall. A poster for the "Furious Bites Tour".

Weirdly, I imagine they would have had to get clearance to use the NIN logo on the fake poster.
    Are you sure it wasn't The Nine Inch Nails?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Was just watching the AppleTV+ show Roar, which is this semi-surreal feminist show that is, disappointingly, not particularly good. But, there's an episode in which a murderous incel has a NIN poster on his wall. A poster for the "Furious Bites Tour".

Weirdly, I imagine they would have had to get clearance to use the NIN logo on the fake poster.
    What’s the point in doing that and not just using an actual real tour poster?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/5-...ples-ever-used

A country-rap song about horses that samples Nine Inch Nails? The formula seems so obvious now (not really), but after becoming one of the most successful singles of all time, it’s hard to argue that Lil Nas X’s use of Nine Inch Nails’ “34 Ghosts IV” on “Old Town Road” isn’t the most famous hip-hop sample of the 21st century.

34 Ghosts IV is a semi-ambient instrumental piece that features a few muted strings, a piano, and a moody, driving bass line that serves as the backbone — most likely the quality that inspired Netherlands-based producer YoungKio to take the track and throw in some percussion and trap snare adornments. Lil Nas X famously bought the beat for $30 on a beat-sharing website, taking the sparse track and, in one of the strangest (and retrospectively most brilliant) career moves a young rapper could make, gave it a country theme.

Lil Nas X and YoungKio’s musical use of the sample might not be particularly groundbreaking, but its absolute rejection of any sort of genre or stylistic convention is important in how it reflects the taste of a generation brought up with access to the entirety of musical history in their pocket — anything goes.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Furious Bites Tour? Isn't that where they premiered Dive and Slam in Mexico?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I've been busy for a while. This is what came out of it.

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Maybe Admin wants to split this and the other earlier posts into it's own thread?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Was helping my kid with some homework and boom! See 2:55:

Gotta love BrainPop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Am I alone in thinking something is f-ed up with this? £930 for a copy of a t-shirt available for 5% of that.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/...47597279046474

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    You’re not alone.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I went down a 90's nostalgia rabbit hole and stumbled upon this dude reminiscing about Hills Department store, specifically buying Further Down the Spiral (skip to 1:31) from their music dept back in the day. Growing up in western PA this is pretty much spot on.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Hills is where I got my SNES, remember that vividly. not from western pa but close enough.
    Last edited by allegate; 05-20-2022 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Just came across the Discord chat: new reissue of Lost Highway on colour vinyl with alternate cover and an art print.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Just came across the Discord chat: new reissue of Lost Highway on colour vinyl with alternate cover and an art print.
    Sacred Bones has a slightly different variant, also on sale at 12pm ET

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    surprising they're both still available.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Now if we could only get a fucking Lynch-approved Blu-Ray version.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    It's neat and all, but I feel like the cover is way too busy. You can't beat a single shot of an ominous highway in the dark.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    surprising they're both still available.
    From what I have been able to find out, the Waxwork edition is a pressing of 3,000. The exclusive for Sacred Bones is 1,000.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    It's neat and all, but I feel like the cover is way too busy. You can't beat a single shot of an ominous highway in the dark.
    I agree on the new cover art, but I scooped up the Sacred Bones version with the yellow splatter and silver splatter.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Now if we could only get a fucking Lynch-approved Blu-Ray version.
    That's coming later this year from Criterion.

This isn't a new spotting, but I've been reading Scored To Death 2, which is the second book in a series about horror film composers. There's a lengthy interview in it with Charlie Clouser, and he discusses falling into Trent's orbit by doing sound effects work for the Happiness In Slavery video, plus a few other tidbits.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 05-20-2022 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That's coming later this year from Criterion.
    Confirmed?! I thought that was just a rumor! WOOOOOOOO!!!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Hills is where I got my SNES, remember that vividly. not from western pa but close enough.

Wait, was Hills a regional store chain??

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Wait, was Hills a regional store chain??
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hills_(store)

Most stores were located in Ohio, Indiana, New York, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, though the company did make a push into other markets. It pushed further south and had several stores in Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama and west into Michigan.
    apparently. I didn't know until I was looking them up a couple weeks ago, just knew they no longer existed.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    This is by no means current, but I rediscovered the old "Operation KMFDM" bootleg. At the very end of it the house speakers come on playing a HLAH remix and someone in the audience half drunkenly goes OH HEY A NINE INCH NAILS SONG COOL and I honestly can't tell if he's into it or bitter lol

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Confirmed?! I thought that was just a rumor! WOOOOOOOO!!!
    Not 100%, but Janus Films said a new 4K is coming out this summer. They've done a lot of work with Criterion, including a few Lynch releases, so it's safe to assume that Criterion will be putting it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just stumbled across Charlotte Lawrence song Navy Blue. Trent is credited as a writer on it. After a quick google search I couldn't find anything about this. Is that a Hurt sample I can hear in the song? And he got a songwriter credit for it? Like Old Town Road

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    "5 Songs You Didn't Know NIN's Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross Wrote For Other Artists"
    https://americansongwriter.com/5-son...other-artists/

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FRDU View Post
    Just stumbled across Charlotte Lawrence song Navy Blue. Trent is credited as a writer on it. After a quick google search I couldn't find anything about this. Is that a Hurt sample I can hear in the song? And he got a songwriter credit for it? Like Old Town Road
    It's not a sample, but more like a quote. Similar to The Gangsta, the Killer and the Dope Dealer.

From that "5 songs you didn't know..." The surprise for me was the Perry Ferrell track, "Go All the Way (Into the Twilight)" - and I'm okay never hearing that song again, hahaha.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The latest archive episode of "Ongoing History of New Music" is their 2000 episode on Nine Inch Nails, talking about the times leading up to Broken/Fixed being release. Apple Podcasts link

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    "5 Songs You Didn't Know NIN's Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross Wrote For Other Artists"
    https://americansongwriter.com/5-son...other-artists/
    Though, Reznor and Ross produced the entirety of Halsey’s fourth release If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power in 2021, the duo only wrote two songs that appeared on the album, “The Tradition” (along with Halsey and Greg Kurstin) and “You Asked for This,””

no that’s not true you just misread her Wikipedia

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)