Page 36 of 74 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 2211

Thread: Random Movie/TV News version 2.awesome

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Warren Beatty seriously considering a Dick Tracy sequel.

I fucking LOVE the Dick Tracy movie, so I'm intrigued.

edit: First look at Scarlett Johansson in 'Ghost in The Shell'!

Last edited by october_midnight; 04-14-2016 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I like how Godzilla looks. He looks finally looks disturbing again. My only issue is the tail being too long. I'm pretty confident in this movie because it's directed by Hideaki Anno.
    ...And co-directed by Shinji Higuchi, a special effects/tokusatsu master, if I may say so. I feel confident with Anno handling the story and Higuchi spearheading the special effects, though I don't know how this will translate internationally.

The tail on Godzilla is very reminiscent of the creature that H.R. Giger designed for Alien 3. There are even a few shots where you can see the tail curl into a "S" shape, and come to rest with just the tip pointed (kind of like a cat).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    First look at Scarlett Johansson in 'Ghost in The Shell'!

Nooooooooope.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Nooooooooope.
    Yeah no.
    Could be wrong, but Johansson tends to get cast as "badass/hotass/kickass" lately. Kusunagi certainly is that, amongst other defining traits which are much more important when it comes to the political, social and technological universe of GITS. Her narrative role isn't to jump around and shoot shit up, even though she occasionally does.

And personally I think Johansson is like a genderbent Keanu Reeves (or the other way around). Perfect amount of vapidity for actions flicks, very likeable, but absolutely no character whatsoever.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    True and there are plenty of Asian actors qualified, if not more so, to play the role than Johansson.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Animated movie becomes live action movie that is, ironically, mostly animation

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    True and there are plenty of Asian actors qualified, if not more so, to play the role than Johansson.
    Motoko Kusanagi's race is irrelevant as it has no impact on the plot, plus considering that she's a Cyborg, she can be designed after any race. And I don't recall it ever being specified what race she was in the anime.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I'm sure they can come up with some line of dialog such as "why the hell does our Japanese cyborg major look like a gaijin again ?"

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Motoko Kusanagi's race is irrelevant as it has no impact on the plot, plus considering that she's a Cyborg, she can be designed after any race. And I don't recall it ever being specified what race she was in the anime.
    Except she hasn't been designed after a different race. Motoko is a member of Japanese law-enforcement and part of her design was that she wouldn't be conspicuous. Nothing would be more conspicuous than being presented as non-Japanese.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Except she hasn't been designed after a different race.
    As I've said, it's never specifically stated what race she is. Her look could easily be an aesthetic choice.

Motoko is a member of Japanese law-enforcement and part of her design was that she wouldn't be conspicuous. Nothing would be more conspicuous than being presented as non-Japananese.
    You gotta keep in mind that this is an adaptation. We have no idea how different this world will be in this adaptation. For all we know, foreigners are more common in this version.

edit: Now that I think about it, has it even been confirmed it still takes place in Japan? Wasn't Mamoru Oshii's adaptation based in Hong Kong but all the main characters Japanese?
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 04-14-2016 at 12:59 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Except she hasn't been designed after a different race. Motoko is a member of Japanese law-enforcement and part of her design was that she wouldn't be conspicuous. Nothing would be more conspicuous than being presented as non-Japananese.
    But now I really want Kusunagi to fall in love with a Bill Murray tachikoma...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Allow me to butt in and just say that GITS is my absolutely favorite anime franchise, ever.
    I love all instances of it equally, that includes two Mamoru Oshii films (plus a remaster of the first one), two seasons plus additional movie of Stand Alone Complex, and the most recent one (Arise, which also consists of a series and a sequel movie).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like SONY has officially confirmed a whack of new movies just this morning, including:

Charlie's Angels (reboot....ugh)
    Robotech (directed by James Wan....double ugh)
    The Girl Who Played With Fire (sequel to Fincher's adaptation)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    There are going to be FOUR more Avatar movies.

You know, just in case you thought the phrase 'Hell on Earth' wasn't a real thing.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    But now I really want Kusunagi to fall in love with a Bill Murray tachikoma...
    *guffaws*
    https://twitter.com/kindachinese/sta...70565812609024

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Do people forget that saiyans are an alien race? The Goku controversy was kind of stupid because of that.

And I'm still mad at Stephen Chow for pushing the abomination into being made, but refusing to make it himself because he "refuses to make adaptation that aren't based upon his own work" when he made an adaptation of Journey To The West, which Dragonball was influenced by.....
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 04-14-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    There are going to be FOUR more Avatar movies.

You know, just in case you thought the phrase 'Hell on Earth' wasn't a real thing.
    At first, I thought you were talking about Air Bender.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I can't believe no one here is talking about the trailer for The Neon Demon which looks really fucking cool. And as for Ghost in the Shell, I think Scar-Jo looks awesome.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Do people forget that saiyans are an alien race? The Goku controversy was kind of stupid because of that.
    True, nothing says world ruining alien colonizer quite like caucasian.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Well, whatever reason Justin Chatwin and Emmy Rossum were cast, it definitely wasn't to lure people out with star leads. Did anyone even care about these two prior to the movie? The only castings I thought were fine were James Marsters (whose acting I felt wasn't the problem, it was how Piccolo was written and designed. They practically made him a sith lord....) and Chow Yun-fat (whose Chow Yun-fat for Pete's sake. Can't help but love the guy)

Stephen Chow should have just directed the thing and made it in Hong Kong. Kung Fu Hustle is a perfect example that he was perfect to make it. Seriously, anyone reading this post who likes Dragonball and Dragonball Z, check out Kung Fu Hustle if you haven't. If you don't like it, I'll be surprised because it has a similar vibe to the show. Or at least to me it did.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 04-14-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Random Movie/TV News version 2.awesome

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    From CinemaCon:

Oh my sweet zombie jesus...
    Last edited by october_midnight; 04-16-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    The Library Music Film, a documentary that looks fucking awesome. And it has Fatboy Slim!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...y-music-film#/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Why are people so upset about this? It's Hollywood. What do you expect? Plus, there aren't many Asian/Asian-Americans actresses who could do this kind of part and draw money. Lucy Liu? Right....

Besides, it could've been worse.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Yeah, because Gods of Egypt was such a hit.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Do you honestly think Gods of Egypt would have done BETTER business if it DIDN'T have what little, recognizable star power it had going for it?

There are plenty of talented Asian actresses out there, of course...but NONE of them are the hot chick from several blockbuster Avengers movies.

And obviously the Ghost in the Shell franchise has decent name recognition, but Scarlett Johansson in the lead is the main reason this won't look like an Asylum straight-to-DVD production or a Sy-Fy Channel made-for-TV movie.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Do you honestly think Gods of Egypt would have done BETTER business if it DIDN'T have what little, recognizable star power it had going for it?

There are plenty of talented Asian actresses out there, of course...but NONE of them are the hot chick from several blockbuster Avengers movies.

And obviously the Ghost in the Shell franchise has decent name recognition, but Scarlett Johansson in the lead is the main reason this won't look like an Asylum straight-to-DVD production or a Sy-Fy Channel made-for-TV movie.
    Well, that Star Wars movie managed to make decent entries despite its mostly obscure leads, I heard some people even went two or three times, imagine that !!!
    Harry Potter managed to recoup its expenses I heard. Chronicle did decently despite featuring nobodies acting beyond any franchise. District 9 didn't need keanu reeves last I heard. Etc, etc...

Shit movies won't be saved by great casting, and great movies will thrive despite a cast of relative nobodies. Scarlett Johansson screams huge studio insecurity to me.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    If it takes casting Johansson to get a movie green-lit, then it probably shouldn't be made by a Hollywood studio company. Clearly, this movie will be marketed towards audiences who aren't familiar with the manga/anime which seems a waste considering the HUGE Asian market of moviegoers.