Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Movie/TV News version 2.awesome

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    My fandom of Patton Oswalt is bordering on obsession now. I'm listening to a podcast where he's the guest, and as I'm listening, I head over to AST (A Special Thing) and see this: Fox orders animated series starring Patton Oswalt.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm not going to mourn, it's probably for the best if this thing just folds up and quietly skips town.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    They should just use a CGI Peter Venkman and have Rich Little provide the voice.

Or put this guy in the movie instead:

http://www.lookalikes-usa.com/list3.cfm?NAME=billmurray

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Honestly I agree, they should let the idea go. Bill Murray in Zombieland made us happy enough.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Ghostbusters 3 was doomed. After all, what was the last great thing Dan Aykroyd did? Plus, the expectations for a third film would not be met considering how revered the first one was. Plus, we should remember that the only reason Bill Murray even did Ghostbusters in the first place was so he can get money to fund a remake of The Razor's Edge that he was starring in while doing a favor for Dan Aykroyd since the Peter Venkman character was supposed to be played by John Belushi.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    First picture of Johnny Depp as Tonto in 'The Lone Ranger' revealed. Apparently he likes crows on his head.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Ghostbusters 3 was doomed. After all, what was the last great thing Dan Aykroyd did?
    Or Ivan Reitman - he's become rather overshadowed by his own son recently.

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    First picture of Johnny Depp as Tonto in 'The Lone Ranger' revealed.
    Now we know how they've managed to spend $200m on The Lone Ranger. It's the wardrobe.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    First picture of Johnny Depp as Tonto in 'The Lone Ranger' revealed. Apparently he likes crows on his head.

So, did they just grab him off the set of the last Pirates movie and splash paint on his face to "really, y'know, GET his look for Tonto"?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Wow, that sounds horrible. I grew up with TMNT, the cartoon series and the live action movies. My childhood is dead. Thanks Bay.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    Wow, that sounds horrible. I grew up with TMNT, the cartoon series and the live action movies. My childhood is dead. Thanks Bay.
    Great. Another moment of my childhood has been raped. I don't want to kill him. I want to torture him any way I can.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    I started watching Frozen Planet, but seeing a killer whale pod gracefully hunt for seals and penguins freaked me out in all it's cool crystal clearness.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I started watching Frozen Planet, but seeing a killer whale pod gracefully hunt for seals and penguins freaked me out in all it's cool crystal clearness.
    I couldn't help but laugh hysterically as my girlfriend was squee-ing over that seal. I'm heartless.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    ^^^ my wife and I are watching that now too and neither of us could believe how those whales worked together like that. Fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburningreptile View Post
    While this sounds atrocious, in fairness to Bay, there are a ton of ways they could go about this.

If you remember, in the comics, as well as animated series, there were tons of space story lines. Several including Turtles in space suits, Donatello with the black mask from another timeline, Ralph had some cool spin off journeys, the Neutrinos, the list goes on and on. There were also some really cool villans introduced.

So while I'm sure its not the story we all want (something closer to the original film I'd think is the popular fan consensus), its still possible they could do something cool with it, especially if they just sort of skip the origin story element of it and get right into it. Dimension X, Krang, bringing an army to earth, etc. If anything, since Bay has his hands on it, I'd rather them go this route since at least it's his field of "expertise" (say what you want I actually liked Armageddon). He would be much better producing some kind of epic alien invasion turtle story than he would a dark, gritty, story about sewer ninjas with their own personal problems. There is at least a chance of the former being a decent summer blockbuster "event", absolutely zero if they tried to do the latter.

Also keep in mind he is presumably not directing it, so at the end of the day it's going to come down to someone else's vision, hopefully someone with more of a love for the franchise than him.

So yeah, I'm skeptical, and this certainly would not be the way I would develop the film, but will keep an open mind at least until I see a trailer. Imagine a transformers styles trailer with the technodrome just ripping up downtown New York and an invasion of Rock Soldiers laying waste to everyone? Sounds at least mildly cool, no?

Sadly I doubt we ever get the film that we deserve, in the vein of Chris Nolan's Batman or what Aronofsky's Wolverine would have been, for lack of better examples, however if Bay was to do this film this way, and it exceeded expectations box office wise, sold a lot of toys, etc. that MIGHT renew the franchise to the point where a studio could have more confidence in giving another director with some actual talent a little bit of freedom to make something much darker and grittier the next time around. OR more likely, they'd just get greedy and make a sequel like Revenge of the Fallen *sigh*

Regardless, the way out is through. If Bay ruins this, it will be the last Turtles live action film ever. So our only hope as fans is to blindly support this until further notice unfortunately. THINK POSTIVE!
    Last edited by AgentofChaos; 03-19-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Haven't really seen anything he's in yet aside from a couple pix and a few commercials but so far I'm FULLY supportive of this casting.

Same goes for the choice of director, actually.

The original is one of my all-time favorite films and so far I'm almost shocked that they seem to be making excellent choices with the remake...although I'd still love to know what Aronofsky had in mind, too.

REALLY fucking excited about this movie.

Anyone who knows anything about the original runs of the TMNT comics and even the original cartoon already knows about the origins of the Techno Cosmic Research Institute, so I'd like to think he's alluding to that same, original TCRI/ooze/TMNT origin story we should all know and love.

And even if he isn't then it should likewise be noted that the "worst-case-scenario" everyone seems to be flipping out about -- ALIEN TURTLES?!? -- isn't truly quite as much of a departure from their original origin story as Bay-haters would have you believe.

Come on, guys. Think it through.

Plus, even if Bay's not into the Dinobots so much, this already suggests excellent story potential for the Triceratons to likely be included in the reboot, so I'm all for it. That whole storyline was awesome and I loved it when they suddenly took the turtles from their grim & gritty city setting to all that fantastic sci-fi insanity.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    While I share your love of TMNT and the gritty beginning of the characters, I feel you may be placing too much faith in Bay. Only because...it's Michael fricking Bay. Anyone who actually paid to see the Transformers movies should give their head a shake.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    There's nothing positive about Michael Bay. The man can't even hold a camera shot still for more than 20 seconds let alone let alone have a shot be shown for more than 30 seconds.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    There's nothing positive about Michael Bay. The man can't even hold a camera shot still for more than 20 seconds let alone let alone have a shot be shown for more than 30 seconds.
    The only exception being when the main protagonist exits a vehicle or building in slo-motion with a low camera angle showing face backgrounded only by sky...with epic music. Those are the only breaks he gives us.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Let's give it to Tarantino.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Raphael: "Hey, Donatello. You know what they call a cheese and tomato pizza in Europe? A margherita."
    Splinter: "Motherfuckers, get your asses in gear before some freaky brain shows up. *muffled* Hey Quentin which way to the Elektra 2 set?"

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Now THAT I'd watch.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm so pumped that it looks like that is actually going to happen. Can't wait to see Michael Keaton reprise that role.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    This looks interesting.

drama about a cult whose leader claims to be from the future

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/f...oundofmyvoice/

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Nice. Reminded me of the whole John Titor story.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I was really excited when I first read the description of Sound of My Voice. Then I watched the first 12 minutes or whatever that they posted online. My enthusiasm was pretty much gone at that point. Then the trailer, which leaves me even less excited to see it. I guess I might watch it on DVD. Maybe. Depending on how the reviews are, but the footage and trailer pretty much killed it for me.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I'm just going to pretend this doesn't exist and go to my happy place.

Nineteen Eighty-Four is being turned into a movie again.