Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Welp, that's me sobbing forever.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Wow, what a track.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Am I fucking crazy or are there a bunch of callbacks to TDS on this score? This thing is phenomenal.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Awesome that they’re using bandcamp again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Enjoyed it, the album was a good bit of background music while working...! It's almost alien hearing Trent singing something new after all this time, but most welcome!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Just bought it, thanks for posting. I'm now receiving Bandcamp updates from them. But I can't believe no other announcement has been made, not even on Discord

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    reznor in his ballad era. he’s a grown up now.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    On first listen through -- and I hope this doesn't ruin it for anyone..but I am INSTANTLY picturing The Deer Hunter in my head. haha. Which is not a bad thing in my world, absolutely love that film and the John Williams (2) theme "Cavatina" sounds very similar to this.

If you are a fan of that song or Gustavo Santaolalla's score for The Last of Us...this is right up your alley.

I mentioned in the Empire of Light score thread, that that score is a great Winter album... I think this is a PERFECT Fall/Autumn album. Would love to listen to "I'm With You" while sitting in an open field before sunset with the wind, grass, and leaves blowing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow, this one is creepy as hell! The soundeffects intervowen with the score (like in Violence remains) make it an interesting [unpleasent] listening experience! I like that there are calm moments to balance this out.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxto View Post
    Or the movie demanded the score to be very sparse and ambient-ish.
    Haven't seen it yet, but I heard there's a good amount of songs used in the film, so they obviously had to shape their work around that. mid90s was short and sparse too, but it was perfect for the film, so I can't really fault them for not creating longer pieces if it wasn't necessary.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    On my second listen-through and love it so far. As has been mentioned, it does have a suspenseful and unpleasant ambience to it & so far it's a great listen. "Vinegar" is a perfect example of that mood...the looped acoustic guitar and then the dissonance & effects & synth underneath make it such a spine-tingling listen.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can't stop listening to this, on my my fourth listen already. This is really good stuff - I like the occasional recurring theme's, the acoustic guitar is a nice addition to their ever increasing palette, as it's been absent on most of their score work up to now, and makes a nice change from the keyboards and percussion with occasional electric guitar of the last few. Just very atmospheric, and definitely makes me want to go and see the film more. 'Other paths not explored' is very nicely played - George Doering is listed as guitars, a new name to me.
    Last edited by simonn; 11-18-2022 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Trent didn't play the guitar as I'd initially assumed

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrgios View Post
    Closest they have come to a horror film score
    Bird Box would like to have a word with you.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I can't believe no other announcement has been made, not even on Discord
    Front page of nin.com and top of the listserv that went out this morning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NIN64 View Post
    I get TDS vibes and I don’t think it’s just from the acoustic guitar.
    I am getting that same sense of desperation in the slower instrumentals of TDS. Which fits with what I know about the film.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxto View Post
    It's like I'm listening to the FYC version of the score.
    Ouch, sick burn on shorter more compact thematic material.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’m not feeling this quite as much as the majority seems to be. Lots of repetition.

That’s not to say I hated it by any stretch.

I really liked the full version of “I’m With You,” “Vinegar,” “You’ll See What I Mean,” “Unfinished Business” and of course, “Home.”

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Original songs in TRAR scores -
    A Minute to Breath in Before the Flood
    The Way it Used to Be from Watchmen
    (If Only You Could) Save Me from Mank
    (You Made It Feel Like) Home from Bones and All

(and you kinda can add The Perfect Drug but not really)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    George Doering is listed as guitars, a new name to me.
    George Doering has done a ton of work in the film industry. Like.... A LOT​.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0230392/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    George Doering has done a ton of work in the film industry. Like.... A LOT​.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0230392/
    You're not kidding, that is a LONG list of very recognisable films!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    On first listen through -- and I hope this doesn't ruin it for anyone..but I am INSTANTLY picturing The Deer Hunter in my head. haha. Which is not a bad thing in my world, absolutely love that film and the John Williams (2) theme "Cavatina" sounds very similar to this.

If you are a fan of that song or Gustavo Santaolalla's score for The Last of Us...this is right up your alley.

I mentioned in the Empire of Light score thread, that that score is a great Winter album... I think this is a PERFECT Fall/Autumn album. Would love to listen to "I'm With You" while sitting in an open field before sunset with the wind, grass, and leaves blowing.
    This is exactly what I heard "DEER HUNTER, DEER HUNTER, DEER HUNTER".

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    So is this Null 14?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have more nuanced thoughts about the whole OST I'll have to share at some later date. For now I'll just say when I first heard TR's vocals appear on "(You Made It Feel Like) Home" it felt like he was reaching out through the void, cutting through the cold and isolation I've felt lately. Thematically we've had many "us against the world" motifs, but this one is really striking a chord (no pun intended) with me right now. Also, as I think about aging and other... endpoints, I've thought what TR might be like in the very final stages of his career. Whenever that time comes (hopefully a long way from now), I can imagine him sitting at a piano and playing this last one for us.

Last edited by Paul; 11-19-2022 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Added YT link

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Got my ticket to see this Tuesday night. Can’t wait.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    So is this Null 14?
    Probably. I've noted it as such on nincatalog

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I drove to Los Angeles (4.5 hours) to see the film on Friday at The Grove. I can't put words to how that movie made me feel. I was deeply disturbed, I was scared, I was in love, and I cried. I am so glad I waited to see the film before listening to the soundtrack. The song at the end is amazingly perfect for this film and I will, forever, cry every time I hear this song and remember what I had just gone through in the movie. Just perfect. Taylor Russell (from Waves) is perfect. Mark Rylance (who was my LEAST favorite actor in Ready Player One) is perfect. The old songs, the score, the plot, the originality of the whole thing.... I have no words. The Downward Spiral is my favorite NIN album, and this score uses some similar textures and sounds. Bones and All, I LOVE YOU.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    I drove to Los Angeles (4.5 hours) to see the film on Friday at The Grove. I can't put words to how that movie made me feel. I was deeply disturbed, I was scared, I was in love, and I cried. I am so glad I waited to see the film before listening to the soundtrack. The song at the end is amazingly perfect for this film and I will, forever, cry every time I hear this song and remember what I had just gone through in the movie. Just perfect. Taylor Russell (from Waves) is perfect. Mark Rylance (who was my LEAST favorite actor in Ready Player One) is perfect. The old songs, the score, the plot, the originality of the whole thing.... I have no words. The Downward Spiral is my favorite NIN album, and this score uses some similar textures and sounds. Bones and All, I LOVE YOU.
    Agreed. It’s a wonderful film. Everything Guadagnino does is excellent, but this is really up there. Rylance, Russell and Chalamet all fantastic too.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Bandcamp FLAC download is 24-bit 48kHz as usual, but Amazon Music is apparently streaming it at 192kHz. Can anyone check to see if their files are just upsampled (probably they are, but it would be nice to see a null test)?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)