Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how are you watching them? Did you download the series or do you own DVDs or something? To my knowledge, they aren't on any of the streaming platforms.
    I got all three seasons of Millennium on Ebay. The seller wanted I think $75.00 and I got them for $65.00, used, but in good shape. On Amazon the individual seasons seem to be OOP. You can buy a boxset of the entire series, but people have complained that discs are duplicated.

You can also buy individual seasons used on Amazon.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 07-14-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Heads up, this book by Robert Shearman offers a summery and critique of every episode of the X Files (up until season 9), Millennium and The Lone Gunman and is awesome.
    https://www.amazon.com/Wanting-Belie.../dp/097594469X

Definitely worth reading.

Just finished Millennium, awesome show. I actually enjoyed it more than The X Files. Next up: The Lone Gunman.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So I watched Milagro last night and I thought it was pretty bad. Googling it after I see it was very well recieved with a minority disagreeing. At first I enjoyed how it was purposefully a bit pulpy, but I just couldn't get into how Scully was shown in it. I get that it's largely through the writer's eyes, which is fine, but it still seemed off and out of character as things went along. Plus the murders just ended up forgotten. So yeah, really did stand out to me. Bit of a Marmite episode I guess? Can't understand the love in the slightest.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    So I watched Milagro last night and I thought it was pretty bad. Googling it after I see it was very well recieved with a minority disagreeing. At first I enjoyed how it was purposefully a bit pulpy, but I just couldn't get into how Scully was shown in it. I get that it's largely through the writer's eyes, which is fine, but it still seemed off and out of character as things went along. Plus the murders just ended up forgotten. So yeah, really did stand out to me. Bit of a Marmite episode I guess? Can't understand the love in the slightest.
    I enjoyed it, but thought the ending was a little anticlimactic.

Watching The Lone Gunman show now and am enjoying it. It's a fun, light-hearted show with some good laughs.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    What are everyone’s top 3 X-Files episodes and why?

For me:

- Folie à Deux. I love that idea of “hiding in the light”. Interestingly Gary Numan sings “I see a shadow hide in the light” in the song The End of Things that makes me think fondly of this episode when I hear it.

- The Gift. Always been intrigued by the idea of a “soul eater”. Another interesting Numan connection - a song he is working on for his next album has the same title as the episode, about Covid.

- Pusher. Modell and “cerulean blue” has stuck in my mind since childhood.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

uhhh...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post

uhhh...
    That would be lamer than Star Trek: Lower Decks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    1. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose: Great mix of comedy/suspense and I really liked Peter Boyle's character.
    2. Die Hand Die Verletzt: Scarry, gripping. Love the supernatural episodes.
    3. Familiar: Mr. Chuckleteeth is the stuff of nightmares.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    That would be lamer than Star Trek: Lower Decks.
    they're aiming for it, yes.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Doggett sequel/spinoff or GTFO

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Doggett sequel/spinoff or GTFO
    Too bad Reyes is dead, but I'm sure they could think of something. CSM was blown up at one point but came back.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Too bad Reyes is dead, but I'm sure they could think of something. CSM was blown up at one point but came back.
    Making Reyes turn into an ally of CSM and die was a stupid decision for me. I did not like that at all. it felt like an exact opposite to her character in 8 and 9.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    No order

Bad Blood - THE episode for revealing the comedy strengths of this show and characters.

Squeeze - One of the strongest, most memorable recurring villains in the show that's not Mythology based. An early episode, being the first Monster of the Week episode for the show as well. Highlights the early strengths of this show. I also love how crudely filmed and shot the season one episodes are. They're dark and dingy.

Paper Hearts - An emotional episode as well as one that has high stakes at the climax. Mulder's torture in this this episode is on display.

All of my favorites are Monster of the Week episodes no surprise there. I wouldn't say these are my top fave at every portion of my fandom of this show but these always grab me.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Making Reyes turn into an ally of CSM and die was a stupid decision for me. I did not like that at all. it felt like an exact opposite to her character in 8 and 9.
    Yeah, very stupid. That didn't make any sense.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

A very famous photo, reimagined.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Nice one, mist-ah Wick.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Jeeze, I really wish this episode had gotten made:

https://www.dazeddigital.com/film-tv...ript-interview

Ligotti wrote his X-Files script with Brandon Trenz, his colleague at a reference-book publisher. The script that he and Trenz concocted, which you can read in full online, concerns the death of an FBI agent from an apparent heart attack, after a man walks into the bureau unchallenged and fires a joke-shop gun in his direction. When some nearby feds tackle the assassin to the ground, they find he has transformed into a mannequin. Enter Mulder and Scully, who follow a trail to the sinister backwoods town of Crampton, where things take a turn for the truly bizarre.

All the same, “Crampton” is plenty weird by X-Files standards. An early clue this won’t be your standard monster-of-the-week fare comes when Mulder and Scully examine the body of the FBI agent, Larry Johnson. After the disturbing discovery that Johnson’s pupils contract when a torch is shone on his eyes, the scene cuts to an eerie POV shot from the cadaver itself, causing the viewer to wonder what, exactly, is doing the looking.

The episode culminates in a horrifying magic performance, which allows Mulder and Scully a peek behind the curtains into a roaring black void – the Nietzschean abyss that stares back, perhaps – which the episode has been hinting at all along. It’s strong stuff, but Ligotti bristles when I suggest the scene tips the episode into the realms of the surreal – the key image, of a man lashed to a cage having impossible things done to his body, evokes something out of a Francis Bacon painting. “You’re right in that our ending was a bit more complex than that of the average X-Files plot,” says Ligotti, “but I wouldn’t say it was surreal or confusing in any way... Ultimately, the viewer knows more than Mulder and Scully about the resolution of the episode’s plot. That’s the unusual aspect of our episode. But it wasn’t, like, some artsy ‘What-the-hell-was-that?’ conclusion. Its narrative was solid all the way.”

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Every time this thread gets bumped, I'm hoping that Gillian Anderson changed her mind (or was offered enough money) and it's been announced that they've green-lit season 12.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Every time this thread gets bumped, I'm hoping that Gillian Anderson changed her mind (or was offered enough money) and it's been announced that they've green-lit season 12.
    I secretly hope that these periodic bumps result in something in the universe changing her mind.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I secretly hope that these periodic bumps result in something in the universe changing her mind.
    Fuck, I'd take it WITHOUT Gillian. They KIND of already said they were gonna do that, remember? Didn't they say "Gillian is leaving, but we've got more stories to tell?"

I'm of the mind that it worked ok without MULDER- I mean, it was better than nothing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Said it before and I'll say it again: D O G G E T T
    Mulder and Doggett were pretty good team in S8.

Also, I'll be up for another revival only if there's as little mythology as possible. What they did with it in S10/11 was just embarrassing. MOTW episodes were good though.
    Last edited by fillow; 05-25-2021 at 04:24 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Said it before and I'll say it again: D O G G E T T
    Mulder and Doggett were pretty good team in S8.

Also, I'll be up for another revival only if there's as little mythology as possible. What they did with it in S10/11 was just embarrassing. MOTW episodes were good though.
    Dogget and Mulder...fuuuuuck yes, that would work, for SURE.

I REALLY wish we could have a mashup where it's Mulder and Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks. Let Mark Frost write it with Chris Carter. That's my dream show that will never happen.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I pulled my X-Files steel/tin DVD box set out of storage (seasons 1-9 plus both movies), and decided to order seasons 10 and 11 on DVD to complete it (albeit they don’t fit inside the box unless I remove both the film DVDs).

Kind of annoying how seasons 1-9 are listed as such, season 11 is listed as season 11, but season 10 just says “The Event Series” on the case. I hate when they do things like that with continuity.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about the show, as I often do. Has anyone heard anything recently about a season 12?

The main three things I can find are:

1) a possible animated spin-off that I would have zero interest in.

2) DD saying he would be up for another season (from 30 October, 2020): https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/david-d...is-carter/?amp

3) a picture of DD and GA together on Instagram (from 19 April, 2021): https://ew.com/tv/x-files-gillian-an...reunion-photo/

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I pulled my X-Files steel/tin DVD box set out of storage (seasons 1-9 plus both movies), and decided to order seasons 10 and 11 on DVD to complete it (albeit they don’t fit inside the box unless I remove both the film DVDs).

Kind of annoying how seasons 1-9 are listed as such, season 11 is listed as season 11, but season 10 just says “The Event Series” on the case. I hate when they do things like that with continuity.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about the show, as I often do. Has anyone heard anything recently about a season 12?

The main three things I can find are:

1) a possible animated spin-off that I would have zero interest in.

2) DD saying he would be up for another season (from 30 October, 2020): https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/david-d...is-carter/?amp

3) a picture of DD and GA together on Instagram (from 19 April, 2021): https://ew.com/tv/x-files-gillian-an...reunion-photo/
    I think the last I heard was that Gillian Anderson didn't want to do anymore. Duchovny said he'd be up for it but he wouldn't do it without her involved. So, maybe one day if she changes her mind there might be more.

Basically Chris Carter completely dropped the ball with the mytharc and Scully's character in seasons 10-11. It's too bad because some of the monster of the week episodes were fun. I wish one of these days they'd let another writer tackle it and give it the proper conclusion it had needed since season 7-8.

And if they make a show without Mulder and Scully, I'm out. That's not the X-files.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post

And if they make a show without Mulder and Scully, I'm out. That's not the X-files.
    Super Soldiers aside, I really liked the Doggett and Reyes-era, but at this point, without Mulder and Scully, it's not the X-Files.

If there is another season, I hope they just stick with the monster-of-the-week episodes, because the mythology episodes have sucked since around season 7.

Also, how about a good series finale? The finales for 9 and 11 were both horrid. Do it right this time.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Super Soldiers aside, I really liked the Doggett and Reyes-era, but at this point, without Mulder and Scully, it's not the X-Files.

If there is another season, I hope they just stick with the monster-of-the-week episodes, because the mythology episodes have sucked since around season 7.

Also, how about a good series finale? The finales for 9 and 11 were both horrid. Do it right this time.
    Doggett and Reyes would have been fine as side characters, but season 9 is a snoozefest to me.

9 had a good last scene but the whole trial thing went nowhere. And season 11? Yeah that was just terrible. Carter wrote some of the shows best episodes but I almost can't believe he thought that was a good idea. The penultimate episode made for a better sendoff.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    That article above (the one I listed in the second point) kind of has DD saying he’s a dear friend of Chris Carter and would be happy to play Mulder again with or without Scully. And they pulled the show off from Season 7 (mostly) without Mulder around. I’d be fine for Scully to go missing and it being Mulder-centric. Or get Doggett back with him.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'd be okay with a storyline line like that (Scully is missing or something and Mulder is looking for her), but I couldn't do without the two - like how Law & Order SVU is only Olivia. It's not the same without Stabler.