Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Yeah I'm fucking thrilled.
    There have been some low points in the past though, like the second movie.
    But I'm still really excited.
    yeah, i want to care about this too, i don't watch any tv but this i will watch this for sure and I hope it doesn't suck like season 10, that was even worse than the 2nd movie for me

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Well, that was something.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Well, that was something.
    Boring?

Yeah, not a fan of this Mythology. They should've just stuck to Monster of the Week episodes for these last final seasons since they're infinitely more creative and better thought out. I'm going to keep watching but I don't expect much.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Boring?

Yeah, not a fan of this Mythology. They should've just stuck to Monster of the Week episodes for these last final seasons since they're infinitely more creative and better thought out. I'm going to keep watching but I don't expect much.
    It wasn’t boring, I enjoyed it. But, it went a little left center. Even for this show.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    It wasn’t boring, I enjoyed it. But, it went a little left center. Even for this show.
    It threw out established history and ideas that have been around nearly 20 years. I'm not mad but I hate how this show re-writes its plots and characters over and over from season to season.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Hoping that the MOTW episodes this season are great, because tonight's was pretty bad. Swap out Mulder and Scully and you essentially just had an average ass Fox cop drama. The feel and tone barely resembled X-Files to me.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    At least they didn't name drop Uber this time.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wow, that was boring. What a crap season premiere. This whole episode felt off. A part of me was like "Is this even X Files?" I see Mudler, I see Scully, I see Smoking Man, but just didn't feel like X Files. Lazy voiceover dialogue. I agree, stick with MOTW episodes. This continuing story started out promising, but quickly losing steam.

Best episode of these last two seasons so far...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4549942/

Probably one of the best X Files episodes ever.

Stoner #2: What would you do if you were a werewolf?

Stoner #1: I'd get high all the time?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Wow, that was boring. What a crap season premiere. This whole episode felt off. A part of me was like "Is this even X Files?" I see Mudler, I see Scully, I see Smoking Man, but just didn't feel like X Files. Lazy voiceover dialogue. I agree, stick with MOTW episodes. This continuing story started out promising, but quickly losing steam.

Best episode of these last two seasons so far...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4549942/

Probably one of the best X Files episodes ever.

Stoner #2: What would you do if you were a werewolf?

Stoner #1: I'd get high all the time?
    Agreeded, one of the series best. I love when Mulder is explaining his theory of the monsters origin to Scully, some big pharma experiment gone bad, or the companies chief geneticist who started experimenting on himself.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    To be honest, The X-Files lost me about the Mythology years ago. The early seasons when Mulder was looking for his sister or with the black oil stuff were fun but the more it went on, the less it made sense. To this day, I still don't understand what happened to Samantha Mulder... and I don't care that I don't.

So yeah, last night's episode was boring, confusing and aggravating. I too wish for some wonderful MOTW episodes since those were always the best.
    Last edited by marodi; 01-04-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    At this point it's fucking dumb that they are still trying to push the mythology. I think most X-Files fans would probably just prefer an entire season of MOTW rather than whatever it is that Carter is giving us now.
    Last edited by richardp; 01-04-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    At this point it's fucking dumb that they are still trying to push the mythology at this point. I think most X-Files fans would probably just prefer an entire season of MOTW rather than whatever it is that Carter is giving us now.
    I want MOTW episodes more.

The Mythology died to me when it was resolved with Syndicate’s end in season 6.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Better premiere than last season. It was alright. Didn't not like it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Well fuck me. I haven't seen it yet.
    Nobody liked it? :/

At least you give me SOME hope, @Piko

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I hate Chris Carter. I really do. He turned my favorite TV show ever into a complete and utter shit. Seasons 8 and 9 were mediocre, but 10 onward is just plain bad.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Well fuck me. I haven't seen it yet.
    Nobody liked it? :/

At least you give me SOME hope, @Piko
    I thought it was ok. A lot of wasting time until the end. Kinda directionless until probably the last ten minutes or so.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I hate Chris Carter. I really do. He turned my favorite TV show ever into a complete and utter shit. Seasons 8 and 9 were mediocre, but 10 onward is just plain bad.
    Paradox right there in all that haha.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I actually liked 8. I went into it thinking I'd hate it too. 9 is definitely mediocre. I thought 10 was good if you don't count the mythology eps. I really enjoyed the monster eps. We're only one in on the current so I'm not gonna rag just yet on the season.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Paradox right there in all that haha.
    I'm not sure it is. I don't think Carter is what makes X-files good. It's the same with Star Wars, Lucas isn't the one who made Star Wars what it is right now, he had an idea, but it was the craftsmanship and talent of others, who elevated his idea into something far greater. If anything, Carter is continuously working on ruining the legacy of X-files, and I honestly think this was always the case. He had writer credits on more than 60 episodes, but I think there's only a handful I would consider really excellent or even really good and the quality is getting worse over time.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I'm not sure it is. I don't think Carter is what makes X-files good. It's the same with Star Wars, Lucas isn't the one who made Star Wars what it is right now, he had an idea, but it was the craftsmanship and talent of others, who elevated his idea into something far greater. If anything, Carter is continuously working on ruining the legacy of X-files, and I honestly think this was always the case. He had writer credits on more than 60 episodes, but I think there's only a handful I would consider really excellent or even really good and the quality is getting worse over time.
    Eh, I could agree with that. The episodes that his collaborators wrote are infinitely better than most of his in the episode catalog. I just really detest the Mythology episodes at large. They fit and had a cohesive storyline but I honestly could boldly tell you the shit that was made up in seasons 3 to 6 weren't in mind when he started it in season one. That's the only thing I hated about this show. You could see the Mythology arc episodes were made up as seasons went along. It wasn't a Point A to Point B to Point C etc. mindset when they were written. You can tell they were made up on the fly to reflect the season's tone and themes.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    That episode was ok but I felt that we didn’t need a second resurrection for episodes of this quality.

Also, is it just me or is the tone of this series way off? The original series had serious moments and dark tones but this current season is too far down that hole that it’s killing the vibes the original run had.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I haven't seen the second episode yet, but I liked the first one just fine.

For the record, I also loved seasons 8, 9 and 10. My only xfiles beef is that there weren't enough mythology episodes in 10. And this isn't to say that the mythology episodes are my favorites necessarily; rather, it was more like "if you're gonna do it, fucking DO IT. If not, then don't! Don't do it half way."

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    That episode was ok but I felt that we didn’t need a second resurrection for episodes of this quality.

Also, is it just me or is the tone of this series way off? The original series had serious moments and dark tones but this current season is too far down that hole that it’s killing the vibes the original run had.
    There is something... off. I don't know what "it" is but "it" doesn't feel right.

I liked the second episode. For me, it was better than the first but I expect way more of the revival of one of the most iconic tv shows ever made.

That second episode was like a remake of Spoiler: Captain America: The Winter Soldier starring Langly as Zola; Scully as Black Widow, some Russian dude, Skinner as a Hydra agent (?) and Mulder as I-want-to-go-back-to-1994-coz-Deep-Throat-was-awesome.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    The thing that is "off" is the lack of Vince Gilligan.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    that second episode left me scrambling to make sense of its reason to be, I found myself entertained throughout it even tho the storyline was so silly.
    I was confused at first, is it part of the mytho or not??? But it seems the whole thing was just an excuse to bring this one guy back in and then took all the possible shortcuts to get to its conclusion.
    Or they are trying to create a new conspiracy to shift the show's direction in yet another direction?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    But it seems the whole thing was just an excuse to bring this one guy back in and then took all the possible shortcuts to get to its conclusion.
    Or they are trying to create a new conspiracy to shift the show's direction in yet another direction?
    Mixture of both in my opinion. The old "conspiracies" of the 90's and the Government are ancient and wouldn't hold up realistically today. Technology and Governmental trust isn't how it used to be in the 1990's so they had to adjust to current time frames.

They wouldn't have known over 10 years later they'd give the show another run but by killing off major characters in season 9 to only retcon or edit a lot of them back in now is kinda lame really.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    There is something... off. I don't know what "it" is but "it" doesn't feel right.

I liked the second episode. For me, it was better than the first but I expect way more of the revival of one of the most iconic tv shows ever made.

That second episode was like a remake of Spoiler: Captain America: The Winter Soldier starring Langly as Zola; Scully as Black Widow, some Russian dude, Skinner as a Hydra agent (?) and Mulder as I-want-to-go-back-to-1994-coz-Deep-Throat-was-awesome.
    I also was reminded of that movie for some of those same reasons. Spoiler: Especially the Langley = Zola parallel

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I hope I'm not alone on this, but I thought the newest episode was fantastic and it felt like a classic episode to me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I hope I'm not alone on this, but I thought the newest episode was fantastic and it felt like a classic episode to me.
    absolutely, i loved that one as well, classic x-files vibe and good crazy storyline, all around well done except maybe for the mulder and scully being too close but that's nitpicking here.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I also liked the latest episode.