Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

The X-Files

Let's all reminisce on how much this show freaked us out as kids, and how goddamn awesome that opening title sequence was.

This thread approved by Eugene Tooms.

Last edited by richardp; 02-13-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "MULDER!!" ... "SCULLY!!"

My favourite TV series.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    MULDER, IT'S ME.

Is the third movie happening or what?

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Clyde Bruckman ftw.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Bought the complete DVD set a few years ago; watched 3-4 seasons outright, then picked out only the conspiracy episodes right to the end. Big mistake. I really believe that the best episodes were the "monster of the week" ones. Fringe owes more than a lot to X-Files; not least, because the super soldiers thread is very similar, but executed so much better. I don't know whether Carter was completely burned out or taking the piss by the time that story arc came in.

I thought the last two seasons were refreshing; Doggett and Reyes were compelling characters IMHO; they should have made more of an effort to break away from Mulder/Scully, I think their inability to do so is what doomed them.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I was obsessed with this as a kid, but season 8 turned me right off and I couldn't manage more than two episodes of season nine. Perhaps I should revisit.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I was obsessed with this as a kid, but season 8 turned me right off and I couldn't manage more than two episodes of season nine. Perhaps I should revisit.

Same here. Only watched the finale on Season 9. Might go back and watch them, but I said the same thing in the old XF thread two years ago.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I rewatched the whole series a year or two ago as I hadn't seen the last few seasons at all. There were still some good episodes in those last seasons but overall I'd say the end of this show sucked. The series finale was very disappointing.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I've only ever seen the first 6 seasons. I quit watching it on TV right around the time Moulder was leaving and then just didn't give a shit about it after that because it didn't feel like X-Files without him. But I'm currently going through the entire series start to finish and plan on watching the final few seasons.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    I still love the show, I have all the easons on DVD and would love to trade em in and get that nice looking box set they put together. droooool.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    When I moved to Vancouver in '99, I started recognizing EVERYWHERE THEY EVER WENT while I was watching an episode. It was fun playing "spot the BC Transit bus in the background"! Side note: Apparently in an episode of Fringe you can see B.C.'s flag in the background of one episode. lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It all went downhill after they killed off Krycek...coincidence?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vvdravenvv View Post
    It all went downhill after they killed off Krycek...coincidence?
    Krycek was my boyhood crush. He really knew how to dress.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I don't remember much about the show any more, but I really liked it when I was a kid. I saw the first movie in theaters. I remember that movie was a huge deal when it came out.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I quite like the episodes Dick Patrick's brother is in. That guy can act!

Overall, I think I did enjoy the "monster of the week" episodes more than the mythology ones. That mythology stuff just confused the heck out of me. To this day, I would find it very hard to explain what really happened to Mulder's sister without looking it up.

Remember the episode with the inbred family? That was creepy. And the one with the cockroaches? "They" had a cockroach run over the screen just like it would have done so if it really was in the room with you. I still hate "them" for that.

Bastards!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Remember the episode with the inbred family? That was creepy. And the one with the cockroaches? "They" had a cockroach run over the screen just like it would have done so if it really was in the room with you. I still hate "them" for that.

Bastards!
    Those were great episodes. Season 3 and 4 were my favorite.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Oh my God: I just looked at the clock and it was 11:11!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I liked the episode think it was called Hunger. Where the guy could not stop eating. He starts eating everyone and had to go to Overeaters Anonymous, and his landlady is there and she says 'small world'. I preferred the camp horror episodes with the monsters. I used to wanna have sex with Gillian Anderson.

The first series was brilliant. They must have worked their asses off, each episode felt like a small film, and there were about 20 a season. Kept coming up with loads of well written ideas.

Some of the darker ones were brilliant and quite disturbing too like the one with the telepathic girl who could tell when women were being raped and murdered. She collapses at work whenever it happens, at the movie theater with the popcorn and all that. The Simpsons spoofed it with Nelson.
    Also liked the one with the missing airplane was called Flight Tempus or something. I loved the 1998 movie too.
    90's TV at its best, it should have ended in 1999.
    Also the last film was a bit disappointing wasn't it?
    Last edited by Highly Psychological; 01-17-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Best episode was home.
    So dark and creepy.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Neisei/731 and Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip are my favorite episodes. It's difficult to pick just one.

And for the record, this is the only television series where I know the names of the epsiodes . But I do not know many of the season 8 or 9 titles.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    When the show came over to Europe we didn't know if the cases were real or not. Si much hype was around this show. I was obsessed with it for about 2 years. I was always interested in aliens but this show fed my obsession and scared me a lot, I really couldn't sleep sometimes because I thought that I might get abducted. The show fizzled once Mulder left (in my opinion) and at some point, all the patience was gone. You can only take these mystery series' so far, Twin Peaks was the original one and too short, X-Files was maybe 2 seasons too long. 5-6 seasons are ok, which is what Lost and Fringe were/are going for.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ambergris View Post
    When the show came over to Europe we didn't know if the cases were real or not. Si much hype was around this show. I was obsessed with it for about 2 years. I was always interested in aliens but this show fed my obsession and scared me a lot, I really couldn't sleep sometimes because I thought that I might get abducted. The show fizzled once Mulder left (in my opinion) and at some point, all the patience was gone. You can only take these mystery series' so far, Twin Peaks was the original one and too short, X-Files was maybe 2 seasons too long. 5-6 seasons are ok, which is what Lost and Fringe were/are going for.
    I actually liked seasons 8 and 9. 8 had some mulder but I really enjoyed Doggett. 9's story was kinda meh but had some good moments there as well. The ending was pretty whatever too. So many open ends. What happened to Doggett and Reyes? One thing that really bugs me. And I'm assuming Kersh was killed?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The episode that always freaked me out the most was "Field Trip" where they investigated two skeletons found in a field that was basically a giant psychedelic mushroom. It wasn't really a great episode, but I still can't fucking use hotel shampoo without thinking about it.

The show definitely had its ups and downs, but 9 years is a long time to be on the air and most of it was great.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themethatyouknow View Post
    The episode that always freaked me out the most was "Field Trip" where they investigated two skeletons found in a field that was basically a giant psychedelic mushroom. It wasn't really a great episode, but I still can't fucking use hotel shampoo without thinking about it.
    I may have to dig that one out, thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    That episode is awesome. I didn't remember it at all when I re-watched the series and that episode kind of fucked with me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    YEEEEESSSSS!!!

This was by far my favorite episode. I saw this episode when i was 10 or 12, and it totally messed with my mind. I had NO CLUE what was going on until the end.
    One word: memorable.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Just bought William B. Davis' (Cigarette Smoking Man) autobiography released late last year. It's called "Where There's Smoke... Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man" if you want to amazon search it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Krycek was awesome, he was such a flexible character because he was playing all sides to help his own ass out! His involvement with the "colonists" was great (as was that whole storyline).

One episode that I really remember was when Mulder was trapped in a VR program or something. Great use of The Platters' "Twilight Time"!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    My wife and I marathoned these last year and it was just so consistently awesome. we'd watch as many as 6 or 7 in a day, all in orderm including the movies. That second movie was just awful though... there's really no point in having a movie that doesn't tie into the canon somehow I think. That said, most of the best episodes are monster-of-the-week deals.

Some of my favorites:
    The one where Mulder and Scully get eaten by a psychadelic fungus, because just read the description. It's great. Season 5 I think
    The one where mulder and Scully investigate a town of circus freaks, played by actual circus freaks, again, the awesomeness is self explanitory. Season 2 IIRC
    The one with the lightning kid and Jack Black. Loved for it's overall 90ness.

There are so many but those really still stand out. I actually don't hate dogget but the series really does fall apart in those last two seasons where it just stops making sense and everything becomes a stretch. Another great one is when they reveal the smoking man's back story in like season 4 or something and you find out that he's basically the major player in exactly every conspiracy ever, which was laughable but still a good watch.

*edit* oh yes Kryceck! that guy was pretty good. He kept fucking coming back which was always like "He's still around! how the fuck?" good times.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Season six is probably my favorite. So much happened. Again, though, too many plot holes. Really liked how the first movie served as a bridge between seasons. One thing, though, that I find pretty random and hilarious. Terry O'Quinn (aka John Locke) was killed TWICE in the series. Once in the movie and once again in season 9. Not sure if it was a coincidence or the sake that he might have survived the first time for certain reasons...