Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Sextastic.

I Googled it earlier and initial reviews seem mixed.

However, Fixed is one of my favourite NIN releases, so fuck critics.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    O_O
    OMFG
    X-FILES
    RE-OPENED
    IN ONE HOUR
    MY BODY IS READY

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    pretty funny how they trolled every conspiracy theory out there in a 5 minute segment just now. goes to show you what good writing can do, lol.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    After fucking football taking priority for programming schedules again...being over half an hour late it came on. I just finished it.

Spoiler: After a slow start and a plodding premise I realize the payoff at the end was necessary for that type of event approach. I enjoyed the disastrous ending. I definitely want to see where this goes now. CSM looked badass at the end and I loved his scene however I don't know how the fuck they're going to explain his obvious on screen death in The Truth. I hope it's not a lazy clone angle.

Bring on tomorrow!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    For those that have watched it, do I need to have watched every previous episode to be caught up for this? I've seen quite a few of the episodes when they aired, but I was just a kid and don't really know the intricacies of the overarching story or every single character.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    you got enough background to watch without digging deeper. the intro with mulder's monologue set the scene well. joel mchale's character seems to be the driving force here.

but watch the older eps when you can.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    For those that have watched it, do I need to have watched every previous episode to be caught up for this? I've seen quite a few of the episodes when they aired, but I was just a kid and don't really know the intricacies of the overarching story or every single character.
    It'd help. There's lots of nods and mentions to past lore that would make you go huh and why and what.

If you don't care about spoilers of info needed:

Spoiler: - Mulder and Scully's current standing in the FBI post The Truth/I Want To Believe
    - William, Mulder's and Scully's son
    - Scully's Cancer/Abduction Story line
    - Mulder's sister, cloning and subsequent disappearances and reappearances due to the Shadow Govt'/Syndicate (May NOT be needed but helps as I'm sure it'll be touched upon)
    - Cigarette Smoking Man (CGB Spender) and how his villainy ties to everything
    - Super Soldiers?

Seem about right fellow X Philes?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Epic CSM closing scene!

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    After fucking football taking priority for programming schedules again...being over half an hour late it came on. I just finished it.

Spoiler: After a slow start and a plodding premise I realize the payoff at the end was necessary for that type of event approach. I enjoyed the disastrous ending. I definitely want to see where this goes now. CSM looked badass at the end and I loved his scene however I don't know how the fuck they're going to explain his obvious on screen death in The Truth. I hope it's not a lazy clone angle.

Bring on tomorrow!
    I don't think they'd go the clone route. I think the burn marks/scars on his skin were meant to make us assume that he survived the blast but was badly injured. Which still sucks because that missile blast wiped him right the fuck out, but whatever.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Those pencils are still up there?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    It'd help. There's lots of nods and mentions to past lore that would make you go huh and why and what.

If you don't care about spoilers of info needed:

Spoiler: - Mulder and Scully's current standing in the FBI post The Truth/I Want To Believe
    - William, Mulder's and Scully's son
    - Scully's Cancer/Abduction Story line
    - Mulder's sister, cloning and subsequent disappearances and reappearances due to the Shadow Govt'/Syndicate (May NOT be needed but helps as I'm sure it'll be touched upon)
    - Cigarette Smoking Man (CGB Spender) and how his villainy ties to everything
    - Super Soldiers?

Seem about right fellow X Philes?
    Sounds about right.

I'm slightly confused though. So, all of what Mulder was told during The X-Files about aliens was a lie (rather elaborate lie/hoax, if you ask me, but whatever, see: black oil, faceless aliens etc), and it's because humans want to have world domination using alien technology they found... Ok, I get that, but if the other alien stuff was all a smokescreen, why did we see an actual alien in the Roswell flashback bleeding black oil blood?

Someone plz explain things to me like I'm 5.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Okay, I'll give it a shot!

Aliens were invading Earth and Scully didn't believe Mulder...

But then Scully got *invaded* herself and had an alien/human hybrid Jesus-baby so she believed...

But then Mulder found out it was all bullshit and humans just took Roswell and ran with it as a cover story...

Except, I'm guessing, it's just like ALL THE OTHER X-FILES ALIEN MYTHOLOGY PLOTS and SEVERAL DIFFERENT FACTIONS are diligently at work against each other and Mulder and Scully will BOTH be proven right at the end.

Oh, yeah. And then after a bunch of time-killing, pay-scale renegotiating behind-the-scenes drama bullshit threatens the whole enterprise while it's on the brink of its GREATEST SUCCESS EVAR motherfucking ALL OVER AGAIN of course, that is.

OMFG I HOPE THAT'S NOT TRUE.

:'(

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Sounds about right.

I'm slightly confused though. So, all of what Mulder was told during The X-Files about aliens was a lie (rather elaborate lie/hoax, if you ask me, but whatever, see: black oil, faceless aliens etc), and it's because humans want to have world domination using alien technology they found... Ok, I get that, but if the other alien stuff was all a smokescreen, why did we see an actual alien in the Roswell flashback bleeding black oil blood?

Someone plz explain things to me like I'm 5.
    Rewatch season 4 finale Gethsemane and season 5's openers Redux I and Redux II. That's the best explanation of this NOT being real aliens at work but rather humanity. Does a good job of shedding light to it.

As a bonus the season 3 episodes Nisei and 731 also touch on it quite nicely.

Those 5 episodes are probably the best at explaining and showing the non aliens at work theory/scheme in the show's history in my opinion.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Okay, I'll give it a shot!

Aliens were invading Earth and Scully didn't believe Mulder...

But then Scully got *invaded* herself and had an alien/human hybrid Jesus-baby so she believed...

But then Mulder found out it was all bullshit and humans just took Roswell and ran with it as a cover story...

Except, I'm guessing, it's just like ALL THE OTHER X-FILES ALIEN MYTHOLOGY PLOTS and SEVERAL DIFFERENT FACTIONS are diligently at work against each other and Mulder and Scully will BOTH be proven right at the end.

Oh, yeah. And then after a bunch of time-killing, pay-scale renegotiating behind-the-scenes drama bullshit threatens the whole enterprise while it's on the brink of its GREATEST SUCCESS EVAR motherfucking ALL OVER AGAIN of course, that is.

OMFG I HOPE THAT'S NOT TRUE.

:'(

So how do we explain their baby's ability to move objects and stuff?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I thought it was pretty awful It was like they used fanfic for the script. Boo.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    It was like they used fanfic for the script. Boo.

That explains what I felt perfectly.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Because it displays the reason Sveta was Spoiler: abducted and had her fetuses harvested.

The smokescreen = Spoiler: aliens as the culprit instead of people using alien technology. The actual alien crashing isn't part of the smokescreen.

They literally explained it IN the episode, dude!

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Yeah, I really don't get how people who watched the same episode I did AREN'T getting that some shit was humans impersonating aliens as a smokescreen while OTHER shit was REAL aliens doing alien shit.

It's...kind of the whole point of the ENTIRE episode, lol.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I wish Fox had an encore showing of Episode 1, sometime in the middle of the night. I got home from work last night, played back the DVR recording, only to realize I should have extended the time by a safe hour. Luckily, it's streaming on Fox's website (Fox the studio, not the agent).

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Amazons deal of the day today was X-Files, the complete series on Blu Ray for $129

I bought one

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I thought it started off too slow, but it got really good halfway through. I like the new Mulder/Scully dynamic, and Duchovny's acting seems a lot better than before. Also, I nearly burst out crying when the credits kicked in.

Excited for the next episode in about an hour from when I post this.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    So I've been "home" for about a month now after having packed for a one week trip in the desert for Manson & The Smashing Pumpkins in the dead of Summer but after having lived with my gf in New Hampshire for the last several months, and DAMN...surprise, surprise, I needed to pick up some of my cold weather gear. Then my grandma died while I was here anyway and I hurt my leg so shit just kinda snowballed and here I am.

Which means I had to watch the new episode last night with my parents. Ugh. Kind of a pain in the ass, but "The X-Files" is one of the EXCEEDINGLY FEW things we see eye-to-eye on, so I made sure we were all waiting excitedly for the new episode.

Little did I know, however, that WAY back when the series finale aired they couldn't figure out how to get local channels on their (then new) satellite cable hook-up, so my shitty, old VHS of it was the ONLY way to bring them up to speed! Which, of course, it is the PERFECT "clip-show" primer to that end. So to speak.

So I was watching "The Truth" and OMFG I'LL BE DAMNED if that episode didn't EXPLICITLY state at Mulder's trial something about the government exploiting UFO paranoia and technology for its own benefit.

Which, yeah, was always a running theme anyway. But still.

Best of all, having seen the ENTIRETY of the "X-Files" condensed like that, I think I've solved a MAJOR plot point/mystery from the new episode.

Remember how we literally saw C. B. G. Spender's (a.k.a. CSM's) FACE MELTED OFF by rocket-fire?

DEAD AS FUCK, no question.

So HOW THE FUCK is he still alive?!?

I propose that the Cigarette Smoking Man is a SUPER-SOLDIER, just like Nowle Rohrer.

Remember how Rohrer could be eliminated down to his BONES and still regroup and reconstitute himself?

There you go. Obviously, CSM was almost ALWAYS at least one-step ahead of the game, had access to super-soldier engineering, and needed an out to come out on top, so it pretty much makes PERFECT sense without necessitating any bullshit cop-outs to justify his reemergence.

CALLING IT NOW.

XD
    Last edited by Hazekiah; 01-25-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Exposition was cringe-inducing, and none of the cinematography looked right until a certain scene despite using the same DP as the classic era.

I've seen up until episode 3 and it does get very good, but the pilot was rough stuff. So if you didn't like this, hang in there.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Anyone got the actual show last night? I only had what appeared to be a 1-hour special of The Alex Jones Show.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    ^ Haha i loved Mulder's political dig there, "why would i watch this jackass?"...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Episode was alright. Wasn't the return I was hoping for. Kinda confusing, but I guess I get it. Some of you explained it, thankfully. Maybe it just needs to pick up momentum.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ugh, this Ford promotion within the show is getting annoying and distracting. The constant commercials for it is enough. Stop showing off the truck and what it comes with in the show. It's just so painfully obvious.
    Last edited by neorev; 01-25-2016 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The second episode was great, had a good season 3/4 MOTW feel to it. The William stuff was quite emotional as well, and quite well-handled.

Also, watching an episode of The X-Files as it was being broadcast live in the States delighted the 10 year old in me. His one desire in the world finally came true.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I enjoyed tonight's episode as well as last night's. The next episode looks fantastic plus it's one of the ones that's been written and previewed a lot about as well.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I really liked the touching reunion moment at the end.