Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The X-Files

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    And her personality was SO cute when she was on Top Gear. I haven't seen her in any interviews apart from that
    she was on the one show too (with dave grohl) but I can't remember what she said because I was just cooing the whole time

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I remember watching interviews of her on YouTube a while back, and in the earlier days she was a lot more quiet and uptight, then totally got relaxed as she got older (e.g. That Letterman interview where she gives him a kiss). She had her American accent on in that interview and I think I prefer when she sticks to that; the British one sounds a bit stuck up, I think.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Meanwhile the new Hannibal season is just around the corner...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I always dug this one

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just watched "Fearful Symmetry" and I hated it. It was preachy, went on forever and was just plain upsetting. 45 minutes of watching animals getting killed with some half-baked abduction angle thrown in. Worst episode that I've seen so far.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Just watched "Fearful Symmetry" and I hated it. It was preachy, went on forever and was just plain upsetting. 45 minutes of watching animals getting killed with some half-baked abduction angle thrown in. Worst episode that I've seen so far.
    That episode and "Darkness Falls" from season 1 both won Environmental Media Awards. "Darkness Falls" is/was excellent; wasn't "Fearful Symmetry" some weird William Blake-inspired episode?

---------------------------------

In a recent interview with David Letterman, David Duchovny stated that William B. Davis and Mitch Pileggi will be in the new miniseries.
    Last edited by Jon; 04-05-2015 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That episode and "Darkness Falls" from season 1 both won Environmental Media Awards. "Darkness Falls" is/was excellent; wasn't "Fearful Symmetry" some weird William Blake-inspired episode?

---------------------------------

In a recent interview with David Letterman, David Duchovny stated that William B. Davis and Mitch Pileggi will be in the new miniseries.
    I like Fearful Symmetry but I am not fond of Darkness Falls. That was one of the worst episodes of season one along with Young at Heart and Fire.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    ....wasn't "Fearful Symmetry" some weird William Blake-inspired episode?
    Kinda hoping that's a rhetorical question.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I actually like Fire...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    Kinda hoping that's a rhetorical question.
    Ha, hush you!

----------------------------

What was wrong with "Darkness Falls" as a MOTW episode?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I like Fearful Symmetry but I am not fond of Darkness Falls. That was one of the worst episodes of season one along with Young at Heart and Fire.
    I don't know why Darkness Falls get so much hate from some people, it always was my absolutely favourite episode from season 1

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    I don't know why Darkness Falls get so much hate from some people, it always was my absolutely favourite episode from season 1
    I don't know, it just failed to grab me or hold my attention to where I didn't care if I ever watched it again.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I always thought Darkness Falls was a shameless redo of Ice... and yet, I love both of them. They're both S1 highlights in my opinion.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    I always thought Darkness Falls was a shameless redo of Ice... and yet, I love both of them. They're both S1 highlights in my opinion.
    You should explain that more if you're willing because I'm genuinely interested why it felt that way to you. They are both alien organism stories, but distinctly unique parasites.

Then there's the influence(s) for the episode:

Ice = The Thing
    Darkness Falls = The Birds / Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by telee.kom View Post
    One of my all time favorites, I also don't understand the hate. It was a cool idea, and pretty well executed.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Chalk me up as another Darkness Falls fan, it's one of my favorites. I thought the episode did a good job of setting up a very tense and suspenseful atmosphere, especially when they were basically living by the light of the generator. The revelation that the hostile force was luminescent bugs may seem silly to some, but I enjoy that for all the series dealt with supernatural or extraterrestrial threats, it toyed with the notion that there could still be undiscovered species out there equally deadly, right in our backyard.

Also, the fact that no solution was found; no protection or any real shelter. They survived because they were lucky. Gave me chills the first time I saw it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Some disliked episodes I really love and fancy are Agua Mala, Trevor, Rush, Syzygy and Surekill.

Some episodes I cannot stand and I HATE are Chimera, Young at Heart, Audrey Pauley (worst episode in the entire series to me) and All Souls.

Know what underrated episode is great? The Pine Bluff Variant.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Netflix has upgraded The X-Files to 16:9 5.1 HD... Binge time!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The best episode is obviously and undisputedly the one with the Inception fungus that makes them think theyre ok, until they have to be pulled out of the ground.

Also the one with the voodoo worshiping neighborhood comitee with the strict rules, and mulder and scully have to pretend to be a new move in.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    The best episode is obviously and undisputedly the one with the Inception fungus that makes them think theyre ok, until they have to be pulled out of the ground.

Also the one with the voodoo worshiping neighborhood comitee with the strict rules, and mulder and scully have to pretend to be a new move in.
    That neighborhood one I remember standing out.

They've been converting their database for the show over the past 2 days, Netflix should have it all switched over by now or very soon.

EDIT: Mark Snow's score work comes through nicely on the surround speakers. They also did not do anything funky with the dialog so it's front and center for the most part.
    Last edited by Jon; 04-24-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    That is my favorite episode, without a doubt.
    funny you should mention it, because since the mrs has never seen the xfiles, we have been watching them and i have been waiting for that episode.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Ah you're talking about Field Trip. Hilariously the episode takes place in "Boone County" which is obviously referring to the city of Boone here in North Carolina. Roughly only an hour north of where I live. Maybe I can find it, eh?

Arcadia is good too, the one @Wretchedest mentioned about them faking being a couple in the gated community. That was another season 6 episode. So was Field Trip. Season 6 had a TON of great, underrated episodes.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Sweet. Do they have the captions again too? I've been watching on Amazon Prime because of that.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    sure enough., @Space Suicide . i also love the one about the bank where time keeps resetting

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    it's about time. the quality is HORRID on the old encodes, like they uploaded YouTube FLVs! (maybe they did...)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    My dvds seem useless now..

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    My dvds seem useless now..
    I really hate double dipping but unless the blu-rays make some substantial special features or amazing things happen, I'll just stick with my special edition digibook dvd sets.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    First I've heard about a blu ray set. Can't imagine the quality being a major difference aside from the first four seasons going from 4:3 to 16:9.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    i sorta see these quality upgrades of pre-HD videos as the best preservation of every detail that exists, akin to the argument of having FLACs above 48kHz when available despite not hearing further quality increases. you don't want to reduce the quality that IS there. there are obviously exceptions, though, and the best for older stuff is always to scan the original film at high res like Baraka was, which is very cost-prohibitive most of the time. (you'd figure The X-Files would make that money back!)

with that said, best it's on a streaming service, imo. too bad nobody does this with music yet.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    i sorta see these quality upgrades of pre-HD videos as the best preservation of every detail that exists, akin to the argument of having FLACs above 48kHz when available despite not hearing further quality increases. you don't want to reduce the quality that IS there. there are obviously exceptions, though, and the best for older stuff is always to scan the original film at high res like Baraka was, which is very cost-prohibitive most of the time. (you'd figure The X-Files would make that money back!)

with that said, best it's on a streaming service, imo. too bad nobody does this with music yet.
    I completely see where you're coming from with your statement in the first sentence. The X-Files quality-wise now looks equal to MPEG2 Blu-ray (which I know isn't all THAT spectacular), but like you said, it's by far the best it's ever been. I've been waiting as they've had House M.D., Bones, and Glee available in HD for quite some time now.

----------------------------------------

1. DVD vs. HD streaming vs. Blu-ray = do NOT throw out your DVD's! Several years down the road it will be the only way to see The X-Files in 4:3. Also, I wouldn't hold your breath for a Blu-ray (though it could happen). If you follow The Simpsons or Fox HD releases in general, you'll know that they only release "successful" seasons of series on Blu-ray. Look at any of the shows I listed above as examples.

2. They did NOT upgrade the SFX to HD. This is not too big of a deal as they are at least still present; if you want to see how bad it could be check out the Highlander TV series on Blu-ray.

3. I actually prefer the 16:9 as opposed to 4:3. I'd rather have the very tops of heads cut off than whole sides of a person's body missing. There are A LOT of shots of Mulder and Scully standing "side-by-side" that "make sense" now in 16:9. Facial close-ups are nice and tight.

4. This is not the same as the 16:9 HD version they are showing on German television. The Netflix version has a significantly "warmer" look, which is how I remember the show looking and seems more faithful to the Panavision work of that era.

5. I think it was Imail that asked: I have not noticed any problems with the CC so far. I have around 70 percent hearing loss in my left ear so I need the captioning much of the time myself.