Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1726

Thread: NIN Live 2022 SPOILERS

  1. #1111
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I'll bet Cleveland is the most basic, for-the-fans-that-only-see-NIN-once, greatest hits setlist they've ever done.

  2. #1112
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I'll bet Cleveland is the most basic, for-the-fans-that-only-see-NIN-once, greatest hits setlist they've ever done.
    Really? I was kind of expecting the opposite – that it will likely be a special show with a surprise or two since it's the only one with Ministry and it's a homecoming of sorts.

    Quote Originally Posted by alfonso99 View Post
    I'm 100% sure that WILL happen at Cleveland.
    I wouldn't go that far, but I'd love to see that, even if I have to watch on YouTube! I was there when Ministry opened for NIN at Riot Fest in 2017 and they could have done it then, but didn't.

  3. #1113
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I was half-joking, but there was a ton of hype around the 6-show run in LA to end C&B&I 2018. Aside from 3 HTDA songs, Garson performing "Greensleeve" and the surprise performance of "Just Like You Imagined" and reworked "In This Twilight," there was nothing really special about those shows. It seems like a lot of people (me included, at least with 2018) think the end of every run is going to be like the end of Wave Goodbye (in particular, the Wiltern show) and it hasn't ever been aside from that tour specifically.

    I'd rather expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised instead of getting hyped on nothing but wishful thinking. /shrug

  4. #1114
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,410
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Aside from 3 HTDA songs, Garson performing "Greensleeve" and the surprise performance of "Just Like You Imagined" and reworked "In This Twilight,"
    ...and the lasers, and the added set design, and the surround sound. You can't just judge the shows based on set lists alone, come on.

  5. #1115
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'd be happy if it was a greatest hits setlist in Cleveland that only goes with tunes through 1995.

  6. #1116
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckets of lube View Post
    I'd be happy if it was a greatest hits setlist in Cleveland that only goes with tunes through 1995.
    They pretty much did that in Vegas in 2018. Perfect Drug was the “newest” song they played. Probably my favorite show I’ve ever been to.

  7. #1117
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    301
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, but I'd love to see that, even if I have to watch on YouTube! I was there when Ministry opened for NIN at Riot Fest in 2017 and they could have done it then, but didn't.
    They also had New Order and could have done Dead Souls with the guys from Joy Division but nope

  8. #1118
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    2,739
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_NIN65 View Post
    They also had New Order and could have done Dead Souls with the guys from Joy Division but nope
    Or any of the, how many 17?, tracks he did with Saul Williams....


    I am still salty about Riotfest, although seeing New Order and having various synth sound waves wash over my body was the catalyst to buying my own synths....

  9. #1119
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SF, SD
    Posts
    2,739
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Rice View Post
    They pretty much did that in Vegas in 2018. Perfect Drug was the “newest” song they played. Probably my favorite show I’ve ever been to.
    Besides that and the Broken show and the night 2 at the Aragon Ballroom (the one I went to), those were the top 3 setlists of that tour IMO

  10. #1120
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tynemouth, England
    Posts
    2,412
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Aside from <list of 6 specific special things>, there was nothing really special about those shows.
    This was the clearest expression Iíve ever seen that some NIN fans will never be content.

  11. #1121
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    This was the clearest expression I’ve ever seen that some NIN fans will never be content.
    It's not like these are charity events, they're expensive and relatively few and far between. I've got expectations. Why would I be content with worst version of "In This Twilight" and four non-NIN songs at a NIN show? Oh, right. Lasers. My bad.

  12. #1122
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I was half-joking, but there was a ton of hype around the 6-show run in LA to end C&B&I 2018. Aside from 3 HTDA songs, Garson performing "Greensleeve" and the surprise performance of "Just Like You Imagined" and reworked "In This Twilight," there was nothing really special about those shows. It seems like a lot of people (me included, at least with 2018) think the end of every run is going to be like the end of Wave Goodbye (in particular, the Wiltern show) and it hasn't ever been aside from that tour specifically.

    I'd rather expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised instead of getting hyped on nothing but wishful thinking. /shrug
    They played 6 different HTDA songs, some on multiple nights. I didn't attend any of those shows but judging by the set lists and reviews I'd have been happy with any / all.

    Edit: I also don't recall there being much speculation on these shows rivaling the ridiculousness of the Wave Goodbye sets, maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.
    Last edited by cdm; 05-19-2022 at 11:53 AM.

  13. #1123
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    They played 6 different HTDA songs, some on multiple nights. I didn't attend any of those shows but judging by the set lists and reviews I'd have been happy with any / all.
    Cool. I wouldn't.

    I guess I'm crazy and the odd one out who would rather hear NIN play NIN songs like "We're in This Together," "Underneath It All," and "Closer to God" at a NIN show instead of other bands' songs or the same songs that are at every show on every tour.

    Edit: I also don't recall there being much speculation on these shows rivaling the ridiculousness of the Wave Goodbye sets, maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention.
    If you go and re-read even just a page back, people are already getting over-hyped for the Cleveland show which was the whole point for this tangent in the first place: hyping up NIN performances generally leads to disappointment.

  14. #1124
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    If you go and re-read even just a page back, people are already getting over-hyped for the Cleveland show which was the whole point for this tangent in the first place: hyping up NIN performances generally leads to disappointment.
    I'm talking about the LA run from CB&I. As for Cleveland, in talking about the canceled Cleveland dates from last year, TR had alluded having been disappointed by not being able to do something special for those shows. But if that means someone is expecting a 40 song set list or 12 guests or whatever else come September...I mean...

  15. #1125
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    BFE Tennessee
    Posts
    1,577
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Sirius Octane is broadcasting at least some of Welcome to Rockville this weekend.

  16. #1126
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    This was the clearest expression I’ve ever seen that some NIN fans will never be content.
    This, this, exactly this.

    Cold And Black And Infinite had some of the most insane setlists and song debuts / comebacks in the band's entire history. The six LA shows, the last of C&B&I, were some of the longest of the entire tour and covered nearly every song that lineup had performed through all of the prior dates, plus Just Like You Imagined with Mike fucking Garson, a Gary Numan appearance, a selection of HTDA tracks with Mariqueen (OH NO THE HORROR!), and a few oddball tracks with Garson like the quiet In This Twilight and Greensleeves that will probably never get played again. And some people on here can still manage to gripe that they weren't good enough, because they didn't reach the spectacular heights of the last Wiltern show, the longest NIN set ever performed that at the time seemed like it could have been the last Nine Inch Nails show ever.

    I know Trent realizes that there are a lot of loving, loyal, and extremely grateful fans in this community, but when I see people here so spoiled that these unreal setlists are no longer impressive enough for them, it's not at all difficult for me to understand why his two cents on ETS is always "bitching and complaining." It's like people want Trent to resent his fans as much as fucking Tool resents theirs. I'm not trying to be a dick but we were so fucking lucky to have C&B&I and people nitpicking some of the longest and best sets of that tour because they didn't pull out three to five more rare or never-before-played songs just as the run of shows was ending...it blows my fucking mind.
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 05-19-2022 at 04:12 PM.

  17. #1127
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I fucking LOVED their 2018 shows (Saw both Red Rocks shows, and two Chicago shows, 1st and 3rd, respectively). I love every tour. The one thing that got me in 2018, was how I started to count how many songs from each album I'd yet to hear live; was *deeply* disappointed I missed the debut of AATCHB, having seen TPD debut but I eventually got it in North Carolina. If I follow through with Riot Fest (sooo many people) it'll be #22, which pales in comparison to many of you. 2020 -> Present has just made me thankful that I got to see [NIN] live again, especially having had tickets for their, cancelled, R&R Induction in 2020 and the 2021 show.

  18. #1128
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    This, this, exactly this.

    Cold And Black And Infinite had some of the most insane setlists and song debuts / comebacks in the band's entire history. The six LA shows, the last of C&B&I, were some of the longest of the entire tour and covered nearly every song that lineup had performed through all of the prior dates, plus Just Like You Imagined with Mike fucking Garson, a Gary Numan appearance, a selection of HTDA tracks with Mariqueen (OH NO THE HORROR!), and a few oddball tracks with Garson like the quiet In This Twilight and Greensleeves that will probably never get played again. And some people on here can still manage to gripe that they weren't good enough, because they didn't reach the spectacular heights of the last Wiltern show, the longest NIN set ever performed that at the time seemed like it could have been the last Nine Inch Nails show ever.

    I know Trent realizes that there are a lot of loving, loyal, and extremely grateful fans in this community, but when I see people here so spoiled that these unreal setlists are no longer impressive enough for them, it's not at all difficult for me to understand why his two cents on ETS is always "bitching and complaining." It's like people want Trent to resent his fans as much as fucking Tool resents theirs. I'm not trying to be a dick but we were so fucking lucky to have C&B&I and people nitpicking some of the longest and best sets of that tour because they didn't pull out three to five more rare or never-before-played songs just as the run of shows was ending...it blows my fucking mind.
    Imagine being on a message board for the hardest-core fans of a band and getting upset that one of the people posting there wishes they'd play deeper cuts and would retire or at least give a break to staples that have been played at just about every single show for the last 25+ years, and would spend the limited setlist time playing their own songs instead of other band's songs.

    I'm not pissed off, I'm not protesting NIN, I'm just tired of seeing a lot of the same songs at every show I go to in the rare occurrences they happen and want to hear more of his varied and amazing catalog. It's incredible how fucking butthurt a few of you have gotten over a simple opinion that, frankly, is shocking everyone here doesn't hold. Yeah, no wonder he says it's all "bitching and complaining." It's a real Boomer mindset to "just be grateful for what you've got," whether it's about a soul-crushing job that doesn't pay enough, or my desires for the setlist that's going to be too short for how much the tickets cost.

  19. #1129
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    4,175
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Imagine being on a message board for the hardest-core fans of a band and getting upset that one of the people posting there wishes they'd play deeper cuts and would retire or at least give a break to staples that have been played at just about every single show for the last 25+ years, and would spend the limited setlist time playing their own songs instead of other band's songs.

    I'm not pissed off, I'm not protesting NIN, I'm just tired of seeing a lot of the same songs at every show I go to in the rare occurrences they happen and want to hear more of his varied and amazing catalog. It's incredible how fucking butthurt a few of you have gotten over a simple opinion that, frankly, is shocking everyone here doesn't hold. Yeah, no wonder he says it's all "bitching and complaining." It's a real Boomer mindset to "just be grateful for what you've got," whether it's about a soul-crushing job that doesn't pay enough, or my desires for the setlist that's going to be too short for how much the tickets cost.
    NIN played over 70 different songs on the last tour, 65 of them at the LA shows. The only staples they had are Hurt and HLAH. Everything else was rotating in and out. Wish, MOTP, Closer, THTF, Gave Up and the rest of what you may consider a staple were skipped often.

    Of the 3 Palladium shows where they played HTDA material (and "the worst version of In This Twilight" too), 2 were longer than a typical 2018 show by 15 and 20 minutes respectively. Which means you'd still likely get what you paid for, which is at least 90 minutes of 100% NIN shit. I don't see your opinion being justified.

  20. #1130
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,404
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    When I went to 8 shows on the Fragility tour, I walked miles in the snow both way to every show, and the setlists were at least 95% the same every night and it was fuggin' awesome. Tour shirts were really expensive ($40? $50?), so I'd wait until after the tour to buy them from Goodrock or Weathermen Records ($25!!!). I was able to invest those shirts in the stock market and used the return to buy multiple houses, maybe if you didn't eat so much avacado toast you'd appreciate modern NIN setlists more kylrish

  21. #1131
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Imagine being on a message board for the hardest-core fans of a band and getting upset that one of the people posting there wishes they'd play deeper cuts and would retire or at least give a break to staples that have been played at just about every single show for the last 25+ years, and would spend the limited setlist time playing their own songs instead of other band's songs.
    I don't look for scraps here but I'm going to be honest where I feel very strongly and this "meh they just play the same shit over and over" argument following a tour where the only songs played every show were Head Like A Hole and Hurt is just a wildly spoiled look, sorry. And to suggest that being grateful for the nutty sets we got last tour is akin to being grateful for a "soul crushing job that doesn't pay enough" just deepens that hole significantly. Thus far they've pulled out, in the first three shows of 2022, one song that hadn't been played since 2006, one song that hadn't been played since 2009, and two songs that hadn't been played since 2014. I would love to see more surprises trickle in, the rarer the better. Nothing would make me happier than to see even more mind-blowing setlists. Acting like the wildly diverse sets of the last tour were nothing worth being grateful for is a really shitty way to ask for that. Is that really so complicated?

    Don't be grateful for just anything but for fuck's sake know when to be grateful.

  22. #1132
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    2,997
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    I’ve already decided that if COVID doesn’t fuck everything up again and the Vegas and Cleveland shows happen, I will be happy to be there no matter what songs they play.

  23. #1133
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Exactly. I've been so unbelievably paranoid of the Philadelphia shows next week being ruined by COVID, by me catching it myself and not being able to go or by the shows themselves being canceled because of it, that I am scared shitless and probably will remain so until I am there on the night. If by next week I have seen two new NIN shows I am a lucky SOB no matter what they consist of.

  24. #1134
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    5,410
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    @klyrish Expectation is a prison, homie. Embrace the moment and enter it freely.

    Now get off my lawn.

  25. #1135
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Why are you guys taking this so personally and getting deeply offended by it?

    I'm thrilled you're all ecstatic with the exact same tour we had 4 years ago. I'm not. Deal with it.

  26. #1136
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Why are you guys taking this so personally and getting deeply offended by it?

    I'm thrilled you're all ecstatic with the exact same tour we had 4 years ago. I'm not. Deal with it.
    No one said you had to be excited by it but you're posting in a thread for a tour you claim to be bored of. What do you expect?

    I haven't seen a live show in over 2 years and haven't seen NIN for 3-1/2 so I'll gladly take what I can get. You're free to disagree...but again, why waste the energy?

  27. #1137
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    683
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Ah, so if I don't agree and won't lick the boots and sing hymns of gratefulness for whatever my measly $150/ticket gets me, I shouldn't post. Got it.

  28. #1138
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,890
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Jesus christ, dude.

  29. #1139
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    297
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Calling a tour that is only three dates in that has already incorporated songs they didn't play last time "the exact same tour we had 4 years ago" pretty much says it all.
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 05-19-2022 at 10:16 PM.

  30. #1140
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,346
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I get the sentiment here from both sides. I'm no Phish fan, but after listening to Analyze Phish (a hilarious podcast from comedians Scott Auckerman and the late, great Harris Wittels where Phish die hard Harris tries to convince his friend Scott to get into Phish), I have an appreciation for the dedication their fans have for chasing that "ultimate live set".

    Nothing may top my first NIN show in 2005 and the experience that left me with, but I'd place my 2018 CB&I show from the lawn in Nashville even over being on the rails for Tension because the set was just so incredible that night.

    Either way, I'm super lucky to be going to both nights at Red Rocks later this fall ... but I'm still really, really hoping to make it to that Cleveland show as well!

Posting Permissions