Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 1794

Thread: NIN Live 2022 SPOILERS

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    There were multiple people on stage with cameras, but it's unclear whether they were filming for a release or just putting the live shots up on the video boards.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post

Posted on the Discord tonight ... interesting ...
    this ruined my morning. i was hoping for nin live 2023. oh fucking well. glad everyone had a good time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    this ruined my morning. i was hoping for nin live 2023. oh fucking well. glad everyone had a good time.
    I don’t listen when he says that sort of thing anymore, he’s said it after every tour since, well 2008 I guess whenever Wave Goodbye was announced and he’s always got the itch and come back

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
    Seeing Danny and Charlie on stage with the EXACT mannerisms they had 20-30 years ago is blowing my mind. What a treat it must've been for those who were there.

I, too, wonder if Trent will scale up the next live shows to be more effects-focused again. A number of high-profile artists have done this with age. Once you've been around long enough, you have the cash to go all-out.
    I doubt Trent is hurting for money & he is doing the live stuff for the fans. The movie score stuff pays well & with 2 oscars he can pick & choose what he works on. I don't think we'll see massive tours anymore, any live stuff will be like this year.. No need to sell his soul like RHCP did this year. That was a pretty big money grab. The show I saw was really good albeit pretty short & expensive. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay $50 for an ordinary t-shirt. On the other hand the NIN merch was fairly priced & I ended up dropping over $100 on gear for myself & a present.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Sure glad I was able to get it together & go to 2 shows at short notice. I'm sure whatever Trent comes up with in the future will still be interesting. Different is good with him. For instance the shows in 2013 with Pino Palladino & the backup singers were different & still fantastic.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    The more I keep thinking about his post, the more I just feel that Nine Inch Nails live will be radically different the next time. Could be 2023, and just a different interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    n the other hand the NIN merch was fairly priced & I ended up dropping over $100 on gear for myself & a present.
    NIN does have incredibly well priced merch. I saw Pi'erre Bourne a few weeks ago and a hoodie was $80. Rap shows also tend to have much more expensive merch.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I 100% understand how you feel. I was lucky enough to be there last night and this still left me gutted. I thought these dates were NIN's grand return to performing post covid. Especially after the more retrospective, greatest hits esque set last night, ending with with Chris and Danny and Charlie and Richard joining them, it feels a lot like it was a farewell instead. I know Trent will probably tour in some form again but with this lineup over, the radical song diversity we've seen these last years is over and that is just a tragedy.

Can't believe the short VetsAid set will be their last. Praying Trent pulls a Wave Goodbye, thinks "that seems a wrong way to end this lineup", and schedules a last minute show or two. Maybe in New York, can't believe they brought the lineup back for an apparent farewell jaunt and didn't stop there.

The show was amazing and historic and I'm so grateful to have been there but yeah I'm most definitely in mourning for the apparent end of this phase of NIN.
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 09-25-2022 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah outside of the incredible visual of seeing past and present NIN members, kind of shocked the only surprise song wise was a Filter cover lol

Maybe I’m not too bummed that I didn’t pay scalper price for tickets.
    Yeah I kinda feel this, I hate to say it but NIN is Trent Reznor so to me I would have been a little disappointed in the setlist and super jeolouls of the Vegas show if I didn't go to it. I hate to be negative but we got better songs in Vegas in my opinion. Its always hard cause every show is special and different but I am kinda glad I didn't spend over $1,000 getting to this show, it would have been a logistics nightmare for me.
    Last edited by bryan_NIN65; 09-25-2022 at 10:00 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm ready for some change from NIN. One of the best things about the band is how they've always changed and evolved throughout time. Looking forward to seeing the next evolution.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Sad that apparently no one used the opportunity to Spinal Tap the audience a little bit with Hello Cleveland! shout

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I'm ready for some change from NIN. One of the best things about the band is how they've always changed and evolved throughout time. Looking forward to seeing the next evolution.
    Same, I'm ready for either a big production or something even more stripped down.

The way the songs were played and presented changed back in 05 and has pretty much remained the same since then.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    The way the songs were played and presented changed back in 05 and has pretty much remained the same since then.
    This is simply not true. I know they didn't change Closer back to original, but the songs sustained tons of changes since then.

Terrible Lie eventually lost bass guitar and more or less reverted to 94-00 version.
    Sin lost bass guitar.
    SICNH rearranged a bunch of times with drums/no drums/slide guitar etc
    Sanctified, you know what happened
    Piggy became Ghosts Piggy and then went back
    MOTP intro sections reverted to original order (drums -> synths), whereas in 2005 it was synth -> drums
    Closer, while retained The Only Time part, went back to being much more synth based, as opposed to heavy guitar+bass version from 2005-2009
    The Becoming sounds different with every lineup
    Hurt 2005-07 piano version is long gone
    Burn 2005-07 version is gone, so is 2009 version with TR-programmed intro
    TDTWWA went from classic version to album version (no drums) to classic again and to album version again
    Copy of A went through like 6 or 7 different versions in its relatively short lifetime
    1,000,000 lost Robin's lead guitar in favor of synth (boo)

I can go on!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    This is simply not true. I know they didn't change Closer back to original, but the songs sustained tons of changes since then.

Terrible Lie eventually lost bass guitar and more or less reverted to 94-00 version.
    Sin lost bass guitar.
    SICNH rearranged a bunch of times with drums/no drums/slide guitar etc
    Sanctified, you know what happened
    Piggy became Ghosts Piggy and then went back
    MOTP intro sections reverted to original order (drums -> synths), whereas in 2005 it was synth -> drums
    Closer, while retained The Only Time part, went back to being much more synth based, as opposed to heavy guitar+bass version from 2005-2009
    The Becoming sounds different with every lineup
    Hurt 2005-07 piano version is long gone
    Burn 2005-07 version is gone, so is 2009 version with TR-programmed intro
    TDTWWA went from classic version to album version (no drums) to classic again and to album version again
    Copy of A went through like 6 or 7 different versions in its relatively short lifetime
    1,000,000 lost Robin's lead guitar in favor of synth (boo)

I can go on!
    I really love the current version of Sanctified. The groove is deep & infectious!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_NIN65 View Post
    Yeah I kinda feel this, I hate to say it but NIN is Trent Reznor so to me I would have been a little disappointed in the setlist and super jeolouls of the Vegas show if I didn't go to it. I hate to be negative but we got better songs in Vegas in my opinion. Its always hard cause every show is special and different but I am kinda glad I didn't spend over $1,000 getting to this show, it would have been a logistics nightmare for me.
    No, I 100% feel you. In fact, I was looking at the Vegas set and thought to myself "man, that's like one of the best sets of this entire year!" And I went to both Red Rocks shows. Who would've guessed that a random one off would've contained one of the stronger sets of the year.

And agreed, it would've been a logistics nightmare for me too. I had just decided "nah, Red Rocks will be the only thing I do this year" but after those shows I started to have FOMO thinking that Ohio was going to be this wild "for the fans" kind of night. So I was in the mind frame of going crazy scalper ticket route and getting last minute travel accommodations ... but it was a pretty standard 2022 outside of the "Nine Inch Nails & friends" portion. Which is still cool, but my wallet is thanking me for holding off.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Look, last night was a wild show and I was very lucky to be there. But I'm not going to lie and tell you I won't be jealous of that Vegas setlist forever. That looked to be an all-timer and was one of the strongest setlists in an era defined by strong setlists.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    No, I 100% feel you. In fact, I was looking at the Vegas set and thought to myself "man, that's like one of the best sets of this entire year!" And I went to both Red Rocks shows. Who would've guessed that a random one off would've contained one of the stronger sets of the year.

And agreed, it would've been a logistics nightmare for me too. I had just decided "nah, Red Rocks will be the only thing I do this year" but after those shows I started to have FOMO thinking that Ohio was going to be this wild "for the fans" kind of night. So I was in the mind frame of going crazy scalper ticket route and getting last minute travel accommodations ... but it was a pretty standard 2022 outside of the "Nine Inch Nails & friends" portion. Which is still cool, but my wallet is thanking me for holding off.
    Trent seems to like Vegas. I saw a fantastic show at the Hard Rock in 2017. Vegas is good for fans, too. Lots of great sounding rooms & flights, hotels are easier than anywhere else. If you don't score tickets initially you can work the system down there & get them. I went to a show with Prince in a club down there (club was a short term thing, not the Rio shows) & got in for face value for a supposedly way sold out show. Purple Rain in a club was unbelievable.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I think NIN fans just have a collective paranoia/PTSD because I've heard "that's the end of this presentation of NIN" more than once before.

Didn't Trent said something like that about the end of With Teeth cycle then boom a year later they were back on the road with a new line-up after releasing two albums in the same year? Pretty weird of you to assume he would announce a hiatus at a Discord server.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I guess no LA residency shows next year then. Damn.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I'm not surprised that Trent & Atticus might want to switch things up at this point. Trent is going to be 60 in a couple years, and I'm sure the strain of touring, both on him and his family, is weighing on his mind. Trent has also mentioned in the past that he doesn't want to half-ass it and just punch the clock when he performs, and maybe he feels that he's getting to that point. My guess is that, if they tour again, it's going to be like what we saw this year in terms of scheduling. A few shows sprinkled throughout the year, with long breaks in between. No more touring the world for two years. What those shows will look like and who will be involved is anyone's guess, but I think it's safe to say that the live element of the band is definitely getting scaled down.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'm not surprised that Trent & Atticus might want to switch things up at this point. Trent is going to be 60 in a couple years, and I'm sure the strain of touring, both on him and his family, is weighing on his mind. Trent has also mentioned in the past that he doesn't want to half-ass it and just punch the clock when he performs, and maybe he feels that he's getting to that point. My guess is that, if they tour again, it's going to be like what we saw this year in terms of scheduling. A few shows sprinkled throughout the year, with long breaks in between. No more touring the world for two years. What those shows will look like and who will be involved is anyone's guess, but I think it's safe to say that the live element of the band is definitely getting scaled down.
    That's fine with me. The shows this year were great & playing smaller venues (at reasonable money) made them special. It's all good as long he doesn't just do festivals. My festival days are over & with the smaller shows the majority of people there are truly fans. Gives him the ability to get more interesting with the setlists.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'm 61 & I can safely say your perspective changes at age 60. For instance, I used to get paid to go to concerts & saw hundreds. Now, it's not as exciting or special any more in a general sense. The 2 NIN shows I saw fired me up again but I can't think of many bands that will do that for me now. A lot of my heroes/faves are dead now or are just riding the nostalgia train. I don't see Trent doing that & enjoying it. He's definitely not Motley Crue.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I really love the current version of Sanctified. The groove is deep & infectious!
    my favorite version of Sanctified was the one with Josh Eustis doing those tasty bass licks…Pino’s basslines were too subdued for my taste.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    My predictions:

1) This lineup isn’t going anywhere. If/when they return to the stage these four members will be there, and if anything they might add another member or two.

2) This is the end of the CB&I era and its esthetics, not the end of NIN touring. They’ve pushed the “strobes / colored lights / blankets of fog” thing as far as they can, and I then they’re going to bring back larger, more intricate and more theatrical production while still retaining the fluidity and spontaneity or the CB&I era.

3) What will herald in this new era of NIN? NEW NIN MATERIAL, and I expect the new material to heavily shape these new shows, much like Hesitation Marks shaped the Tension tour, and even more so like how Year Zero shaped the Lights in the Sky tour.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    i wouldn't mind a solo TR tour a la 2014 prince, piano and microphone... the show i saw with that setup in 06 at the bridge school was really special.

Or a symphonic/orchestral version of NIN, with all the soundtracks and instrumentals there would be room for some reinvention with that kind of setup.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LexTron6K View Post
    2) This is the end of the CB&I era and its esthetics, not the end of NIN touring. They’ve pushed the “strobes / colored lights / blankets of fog” thing as far as they can, and I then they’re going to bring back larger, more intricate and more theatrical production while still retaining the fluidity and spontaneity or the CB&I era.
    I'm inclined to be a bit more pessimistic about it. TR's getting older. Large, intricate, theatrical productions take a *lot* of work. I assume touring in a world of perpetual COVID and societies seemingly on a knife's edge has got to be a stressful and worrying experience. He's got kids growing up and he probably wants to be around for that. I'd be a little surprised if he went back to that kind of real intricate production, any time soon. It's difficult to do that and break even without a pretty intense touring schedule, and I can't imagine that's top on his priorities at the moment.

I do agree with some other comments that if we do see touring in the nearish term, it's likely to look more like this year's: isolated clumps of shows, relatively spread out over time. Much easier to manage COVIDwise, easier on work/life balance, but not especially conducive to huge productions.

I suppose time will tell, though! As others have mentioned, it's probably best not to put too much stock in someone's opinion of touring just after they've wrapped up a tour. Perhaps that bug'll bite him again sooner than I expect. I'd certainly love to see the band again, especially given that I struck out this year, alas.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I haven't seen anybody mention the details of the reunion, I noticed a couple things on some Youtube videos. Chris Vrenna was on a second drum kit the whole time and Richard Patrick was on lead vocals for Eraser and some of HLAH, also during Sin they had Charlie Clouser do his Theremin part and had Danny Lohner playing (or trying to play) a Yamaha DX7 then after the song he picked it up and threw it to the ground.

It's pretty crazy that Richard got to sing on some NIN tracks. Also, it's crazy how much Danny Lohner performs the exact same way he did in 1994, it really makes me want him back in the band.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 09-25-2022 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    And so, we can do TikTok embeds in the forum now too:

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    ^ I love how the opening drums to Eraser sound similar to The Wretched making that Frail/Eraser transition sound so perfect.
    Last edited by Erneuert; 09-25-2022 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Whu?

Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    my favorite version of Sanctified was the one with Josh Eustis doing those tasty bass licks…Pino’s basslines were too subdued for my taste.
    I feel like you got this backwards. Pino was way more groovy.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    I'm inclined to be a bit more pessimistic about it. TR's getting older. Large, intricate, theatrical productions take a *lot* of work. I assume touring in a world of perpetual COVID and societies seemingly on a knife's edge has got to be a stressful and worrying experience. He's got kids growing up and he probably wants to be around for that. I'd be a little surprised if he went back to that kind of real intricate production, any time soon. It's difficult to do that and break even without a pretty intense touring schedule, and I can't imagine that's top on his priorities at the moment.

I do agree with some other comments that if we do see touring in the nearish term, it's likely to look more like this year's: isolated clumps of shows, relatively spread out over time. Much easier to manage COVIDwise, easier on work/life balance, but not especially conducive to huge productions.

I suppose time will tell, though! As others have mentioned, it's probably best not to put too much stock in someone's opinion of touring just after they've wrapped up a tour. Perhaps that bug'll bite him again sooner than I expect. I'd certainly love to see the band again, especially given that I struck out this year, alas.
    I think you're on to something. As fun as a concept as it is to think about what a future production heavy show could be, it does takes a lot of work that could be best served elsewhere. The world is still unpredictable, and I'm not sure what real huge mega production rock bands are doing stadium tours these days that don't feel like nostalgia fueled and going through the motions.

I really feel that stadium tours for NIN are a thing of the past at this point. It's better to sell out smaller venues for multiple nights than to struggle to fill hockey arenas like Arcade Fire and Smashing Pumpkins found themselves going through (and sounds like they still will be ...)

Feels like to me the next version of the band will just be a reinvention of the live presentation and even more isolated shows spread thin, with some multiple nights here and there. It's obviously a guessing game at this point, but as long as we get NIN live in some capacity I'm game ... and I'd be much more interested in something brand new at this point as opposed to now kind of hoping I'm going to MAYBE hear 2/3 new songs to me depending on which show I'm going to.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 09-25-2022 at 11:10 PM.