Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: David Bowie - I'm Afraid of Americans 4K Rescan (EP also remastered)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    heres the link to Spotify's Afraid of Americans remixes https://open.spotify.com/album/7cpmL...TYKmJP00Pj1v8Q

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Fuck Spotify.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Just checked and it's on youtube music for 'free' as well as HDTracks for purchase. 44.1/16 though, not actual hi-res.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yep, a new 2022 Remastered I'm Afraid of Americans EP with a couple of bonus single versions is available on CD quality, not higher resolution. Got mine, getting ready to listen....

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, they've made two mistakes with this mastered release, one major and one minor.

The first huge mistake is that they've put the track split between V3 and V4 in the wrong place. Almost the whole last minute of V3 was cut early, and now it appears at the beginning of V4. Whoops.

The other minor change is that they've applied an early fade-out to V6, cutting off about 10 seconds of audio at the end. (Also, there's a really minor shift in the track split between V and VI, like a half second or so.)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I just listened to the new remasters and they sound great! No complains. Regarding the edits, I compared this to the original release and have the following to report: There are no mistakes in this new remaster. Regarding the split tracks between V and VI, yes, there is a fraction of a second of V at the begining of VI, but it is also there in the original release. Regarding the missing 10 seconds at the end of V6, it does not cut-of any audio, and it does not fade early. It is exactly the same length as the original release, except for the original had about 10 seconds of silence at the end (since it was the end of the CD), and those 10 seconds of silence have been removed in the remaster. Since they added 2 bonus tracks, I doubt that they wanted a 10 second of silence between the original EP and the bonus tracks. And finally, the split between V3 and V4 is different from the original release, but I doubt it was a mistake. Those tracks, like most of the CD have no real breaks between tracks as they flow into each other. The new, different split between V3 and V4 seems to have been done on purpose as the tracks changes at that point and becomes less musical. We don't know who chose to make this change or if it's fixing a previous mistake? Either way you are not going to get a clean split between tracks and if you are listening to in sequence, it doesn't matter anyways. Regardless, seems like a decision was made about this by someone and not a mistake. Just as a side note, the original EP tracks have a 2022 remastered date, and the 2 bonus tracks have a 2021 remaster date as they were culled from the 2021 Re:Call 5 CD from the latest Bowie box set.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    Regarding the missing 10 seconds at the end of V6, it does not cut-of any audio, and it does not fade early. It is exactly the same length as the original release, except for the original had about 10 seconds of silence at the end (since it was the end of the CD), and those 10 seconds of silence have been removed in the remaster.
    Close, but it's not quite silence. It's just the same loops repeating over and over but continually fading out and the last ten seconds are VERY quiet (like, -40 dBFS).

And finally, the split between V3 and V4 is different from the original release, but I doubt it was a mistake. Those tracks, like most of the CD have no real breaks between tracks as they flow into each other. The new, different split between V3 and V4 seems to have been done on purpose as the tracks changes at that point and becomes less musical. We don't know who chose to make this change or if it's fixing a previous mistake?
    I don't think the previous track split was a mistake. Ice Cube is only credited with vocals on V3 and yet on the new split point he keeps repeating the hook "TV got your brain" for the first 35 seconds of V4 along with the disjointed piano. The loop of Bowie's voice put through AudioMulch (I think...? That was certainly Hillebrandt's weapon of choice for cut-up vocals on The Fragile, anyhow) is also going continuously underneath, and that's more properly part of the very abstract, ambient V4. So I can see a case for both.
    Last edited by botley; 02-04-2022 at 06:35 PM.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Regarding the split tracks between V and VI, yes, there is a fraction of a second of V at the begining of VI, but it is also there in the original release.
    Yes, but there is a half second more of V at the beginning of VI on the remaster than on the original. Like I said, it's super-minor, and most people wouldn't notice, but it's different.

Regarding the missing 10 seconds at the end of V6, it does not cut-of any audio, and it does not fade early. It is exactly the same length as the original release, except for the original had about 10 seconds of silence at the end (since it was the end of the CD), and those 10 seconds of silence have been removed in the remaster.
    As botley mentioned, this is wrong. It's very quiet, and you'll have to turn up your headphone volume really loud, but there are about 9 additional seconds of actual music on V6 at the end, that have been faded out early on the remaster.

And finally, the split between V3 and V4 is different from the original release, but I doubt it was a mistake. Those tracks, like most of the CD have no real breaks between tracks as they flow into each other. The new, different split between V3 and V4 seems to have been done on purpose as the tracks changes at that point and becomes less musical. We don't know who chose to make this change or if it's fixing a previous mistake?
    I think it's pretty clear this is a mistake. There is a standalone, un-segued version of V3 available on this promo that runs 6:09, so, as on the original EP, the correct length for the segued version is 6:06, and this remaster was cut incorrectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    man i miss old crazy nin remixes

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Lots of good info, thanks! So the summary is that we have the I'm Afraid of Americans EP remastered in 2022. It sounds great to me. The track "chapter stops" are different than before, but you would never know if you are listening to it in sequence as the tracks flow into each other anyways. They cut the last 10 seconds of a looping sound that's too low for most human beings to hear, unless you turn the volume way up. No big loss in my book. All I care is being able to burn a CD with CD-quality audio, smoking a joint, and playing it on my big sound system and go on a trip with Trent and Bowie for 40 minutes. This new release does the job for me and I'm very happy with it. When I watch a 4K disc or Blu-ray, I could care less where the chapter stops are placed, and I guess I feel the same way with my music.