Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Closer. Chappelle

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    Dumb masses still aren't able to use critical thinking and see that nearly none of the folk who make money/fame/notoriety from crying about CC get cancelled at any point.
    Mel Gibson was screaming about jews starting all the wars and telling her wife that a "pack of n***rs" will rape her because she dresses like a slut, and a few years later he was back at the front row of the Oscars, nominated for Best Director! What a terrible fall!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    That's the problem. He doesn't get a pass for being ignorant and misinformed.
    Doesn't get a pass to address the situation that he found himself in? (My understanding is that this all started when he dismissed someone as "tranny" in whatever special it was that he made his public resurgence with)

or, that he doesn't get a pass to express his understanding about a faction of the trans movement existing in modern day?

or.... both?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Both

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I actually sat down and watched the whole thing… I feel like a lot of the edgy jokes that have made people very upset are, in context, sardonic or facetious. There were a couple moments that were actually funny, but for the most part it just felt like he was toying with a hot button topic in a dismissive way. Comedy is a tricky thing and it gets hard to tell if the comedian actually embraces these notions or if they’re just messing with you.

The moment where it just goes off the rails is the “Team TERF” bit. That lands with a thud, the audience doesn’t applaud or laugh, and it tarnishes everything from before, almost like a reveal moment that says “ah, no, I actually am a complete asshole.”

EDIT: And just to clarify, I'm not saying that the only part of his set that was offensive was the TERF bit... but it felt like a moment where he stopped dancing around with jokes and just said something directly shitty and indefensible. But a lot of the other stuff in it doesn't really cross a line that a lot of other celebrated standup comedy has. Bill Hicks and Eddie Murphy have some material that has "aged" incredibly badly.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 10-18-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I still haven't watched it.

I hope it's not as bad as people are saying. He's DEFINITELY changed with his recent specials, trying to be as shocking as possible, but he's still been amazing.

So I'm kind of scared to watch it. I've loved Dave since the day I smoked a bunch of grass with about five of my friends, and one of us bought a ticket and then held open the back door to the theater so.the other five could run in, to.see Half Baked.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    He’s a comedian he gets a pass. People are too sensitive
    end of story. I thought it was vintage Chappell. Killing me softly will
    always be his prime. We didn’t care when he talked about a baby smoking crack because it was funny. I know this is the most basic response but when it comes down to it really all there needs to be said
    Last edited by Rdm; 10-20-2021 at 06:12 PM.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^tell me you're cis and ignorant without telling me you're cis and ignorant.

Seriously, that's gross. Educate yourself and do better.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Dunno, I thought most of it was pretty damn funny. But, whatever. I’ll leave it at that since whatever someone says about it isn’t going to change any opinions of it at this point (wether it’s one way or the other). I will say if someone hasn’t watched it from start to finish then they really shouldn’t have an opinion on it though.

EDIT: I got facepalmed for this post? LMAO. Have fun complaining about shit forever, and not agreeing with others “jokes”.
    Last edited by Krazy; 10-20-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

The Closer. Chappell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    He’s a comedian he gets a pass. People are too sensitive
    end of story. I thought it was vintage Chappell. Killing me softly will
    always be his prime. We didn’t care when he talked about a baby smoking crack because it was funny. I know this is the most basic response but when it comes down to it really all there needs to be said
    yeah punching down on a marginalized group is fucking hilarious.

https://www.hrc.org/resources/violen...munity-in-2020

fatal violence disproportionately affects transgender women of color -- particularly Black transgender women -- and that the intersections of racism, sexism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia and unchecked access to guns conspire to deprive them of employment, housing, healthcare and other necessities.

edit: if he’s such a great comedian he could do a whole special without mentioning transgendered people at all. the content choice is his alone. people are sensitive because people are dying violently all the time.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    You got facepalmed for defending transphobia. I have zero patience for cis people who don't see why transphobia is a big deal.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I will say if someone hasn’t watched it from start to finish then they really shouldn’t have an opinion on it though.

Naw. If it makes you feel any better, I only facepalmed you because there isn't a laugh react here. But this line^ this is a shit take and it made me snort a "lolwut" giggle.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Naw. If it makes you feel any better, I only facepalmed you because there isn't a laugh react here. But this line^ this is a shit take and it made me snort a "lolwut" giggle.
    so what gives? People should react to others online opinions, or watch the stand-up for themselves?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    "People are too sensitive" is just another way of saying "I don't give a fuck because it doesn't affect me directly". You guys don't see the issue because it's not ABOUT you. Of course it can roll off you like it's no big deal. I guarantee if the tables were turned, and a comedian was not only making light of something about you that was deeply personal, but also seemed to have an obsession with it, you would be very bothered by that. But again, it's not about you, so who gives a shit, right? Dave Chappelle certainly doesn't give a shit. He's got his Netflix money and his reputation, so he can say whatever he wants.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 10-20-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I've had enough transphobia for a lifetime. I don't need to watch some bigot's special to know that it's transphobic. There is no context for implying trans women are men, body shaming trans women, aligning with TERFs or using a dead trans woman as a shield for said bigotry (which is so fucking gross). Not to mention all the transphobic stuff he said in previous specials. There's no context that excuses bigotry. None.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Well, out of all the comedy specials I've seen, this was the most current. A lot of the "jokes" reminded me of a random local comic's first open mic, so he's seen as "controversial" and "What will he say next?!?" to a niche group of people. Then it's tried harder and harder to shock, but seems like an attention grab for themselves over the real issues.

"My problem has always been with white people."
    Last time I checked, many "white people" are LGBTQIA2S+... so...

I have a close trans friend in town here, transitioning from female to male. The amount of abuse given to them (mentally and physically) has been downright disgusting. They've been on a cane due to other health issues, and it's been grabbed and ran off with many times, usually with excessive slurs spouted. THEIR CANE!

You can see the exhaustion on their face, complete burnout from this closed-minded town. It's gotten to the point of just staying home after work and never going out due to what could happen, and I don't lay any blame on that. I'm trying to get them out more with other good friends, but it's still a challenge. That group of friends used to hang at my condo nightly because it "Felt way safer up here."

I'm asexual, and it seems there's never any "jokes" about that in stand up specials, outside the "alphabet people" bullshit. Last time I checked, "bigots" is also spelled with letters.

But it got people talking, and has really shown the perpetual hate that will always exist for "Them people different from me." I guess I was raised wrong on acceptance, tolerance and hell, even multiculturalism...

Take away anything transphobic about that special, and you maybe have 8-10 minutes tops on other topics. "Space Jews" wasn't funny either time, but he was so proud of that one.

"Comedy isn't fun anymore." Well, if you can't think of jokes outside the transphobic ones...

I think I'm rambling now... apologies.

Last edited by poinoup; 10-20-2021 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Added a little more.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The best comics are the ones that grow and mature and find new points of view. Chappelle would rather be stubborn and act like he's being targeted when it's his own choice to be ignorant and NOT grow that's put him in this position. Same with all the people who don't see a problem with it. If they wanted to understand, they would, but that would require effort on their part, and they simply don't care enough to try. That's why I can't give him a pass for "just telling jokes", because he makes zero effort to try and understand the people that those jokes are about.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Can we talk about how some of you, including the thread’s creator, misspelled his name? Big fans, though, right?

I haven’t watched it and have no plans to. His last few have shown me he is just another stubborn aging comic that refuses to evolve—see also: Christina P, Joey Diaz, Jim Brewer, and especially Joe Rogan. Only difference is Chappelle used to be funny so this is sadder.

What IS funny are all these idiots (here, there, everywhere) outing themselves as terrible people trying to make “woke” and “liberal” insulting words. They’re not. They’re just uninterested in being decent and growing. I’d feel bad for them if they weren’t so obnoxious about it.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Can we talk about how some of you, including the thread’s creator, misspelled his name? Big fans, though, right?
    I was wondering about this myself. I thought I was missing something.

What IS funny are all these idiots (here, there, everywhere) outing themselves as terrible people trying to make “woke” and “liberal” insulting words. They’re not. They’re just uninterested in being decent and growing. I’d feel bad for them if they weren’t so obnoxious about it.
    The self-owns and double-downs have been helpful for future interactions, or lack thereof.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    fixed. thanks for pointing that out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I stumbled upon Dave Chappelle through Sticks & Stones when it came out, and worked my way back.

Guy makes fun of blacks, whites, jews, asians - no complaints.

LGBT - "cancel him".

That's my take anyway. Please feel free to point me in the right direction if I am horrendously wrong in this.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    "Cancel him / CaNcEl CuLtUrE" is a lazy, reductive way to describe and respond to the criticism. It ignores and steps over the actual hurtful / dangerous shit he said and makes him the victim.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    It ignores and steps over the actual hurtful / dangerous shit he said and makes him the victim.

I'll give you hurtful but dangerous? What exactly did he say that was dangerous?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I'll give you hurtful but dangerous? What exactly did he say that was dangerous?
    Rhetoric that perpetuates and amplifies homophobia / transphobia is dangerous.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Rhetoric that perpetuates and amplifies homophobia / transphobia is dangerous.
    You didn't answer my question.

It isn't my intention to seem like I am being dismissive of you but I have a hard time buying into the idea that people are going to watch a Dave Chapelle special and decide that they're going to stomp out a trans person. I realize that's is an extreme example but it is my feeling that's what's at the bottom of the "words are violence" pale. That is why I am interested to know exactly what he said that you think is going to result in dangerous outcomes.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    there's a couple steps in between "Dave said this" and "Curb stomping", I'll give you that.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Yes, there are a few leaps in thought that take us from Dave Chappelle to trans people being sent to gas chambers.

You know who is making similar leaps in logic? Anti-Vaxxers comparing vaccine passports to a certain flavour of people being made to wear a yellow Star of David on their arm.

I still am looking to understand what about that special preaches intolerance.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Chappelle: Trans women are really men, I'm team TERF, trans women's vaginas are weird and not real, I have a trans friend so I can't be transphobic

Cis people: Yeah, but I don't see how that's transphobic!

I just

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I also do not understand how so many people don't get how going on a platform where you will be seen by tens of millions of people around the world and dehumanizing trans people can contribute to the continuing hatred and discrimination that group faces. And as a trans person I am so so SO sick of cis people telling me I'm wrong. Newsflash: You are not the arbiter of what is and isn't transphobic, trans people are.

If you use your platform and your privilege to punch down at an already marginalized group of people who are already misunderstood and hated by the majority of people you are an asshole. Period.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    "Team TERF" was gross. Referring to himself as "transphobic" was gross, even in jest. The bathroom bit was gross. The story about Daphne Dwarman was gross because he used it to turn it around on the "trans community" at large. It's dangerous because it normalizes transphobia and the danger isn't immediate...it's cumulative. The worst part, to me, is he knows this and he's using it to boost his signal...get people talking about him and his special at the expense of a marginalized community.

I also thought the DaBaby jokes were gross, mainly the implication that being gay is a choice and / or conversion is real.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

The Closer. Chappelle

Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Yes, there are a few leaps in thought that take us from Dave Chappelle to trans people being sent to gas chambers.

You know who is making similar leaps in logic? Anti-Vaxxers comparing vaccine passports to a certain flavour of people being made to wear a yellow Star of David on their arm.

I still am looking to understand what about that special preaches intolerance.
    tell me you haven’t read the thread without telling me you haven’t read the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    yeah punching down on a marginalized group is fucking hilarious.

https://www.hrc.org/resources/violen...munity-in-2020

edit: if he’s such a great comedian he could do a whole special without mentioning transgendered people at all. the content choice is his alone. people are sensitive because people are dying violently all the time.
    the threat against transgender people is REAL. You are clearly not paying attention if you don’t know the difference between actual violence against a marginalized group versus some people claiming to be victims.

from the link i posted before:
    Dustin Parker, 25, was fatally shot in McAlester, Oklahoma, early on New Year’s Day. His employers released a statement shortly after his death, remembering Parker as “a steadfast friend, an amazing husband and father and generous to a fault. He loved fiercely, worked tirelessly and took on life with so much hope and enthusiasm that his presence brightened all of our lives.”

Neulisa Luciano Ruiz, was fatally shot in Toa Baja, Puerto Rico on February 24. According to Metro Puerto Rico, members of her community knew her as "humble" and "noble."

Yampi Méndez Arocho, 19, was killed in Moca, Puerto Rico, on March 5. Arocho, a transgender man, shared his love for basketball and the NBA -- donning Miami Heat apparel on social media. The biography line on his Facebook reads simply, “Humility Prevails.”

Scott/ Scottlynn Devore, a 51-year old gender non-conforming person, was killed in Augusta, Georgia. Friends remembered Devore as “sweet” and “beautiful” on Facebook.

Monika Diamond, 34, a Black transgender woman, was killed in Charlotte, North Carolina on March 18. Diamond was active in the Charlotte LGBTQ+ and nightlife community and was the co-owner of an event promotion company. She also was the co-CEO of the International Mother of the Year Pageantry System -- a pageant that honors LGBTQ+ mothers.

Lexi, 33, a transgender woman, was killed in Harlem, New York on March 28. According to reports, Lexi was fatally stabbed in Harlem River Park. “I really looked up to her because of her tolerance and respect,” said Lavonia Brooks, a friend of Lexi. “Lexi had a beautiful heart, she was very gifted.” Brooks also noted that Lexi loved poetry, makeup and fashion.

Johanna Metzger, a transgender woman, was killed in Baltimore, Maryland on April 11. According to reports, she was visiting a Baltimore recovery center from Pennsylvania at the time. Johanna was known for her love of music and taught herself to play multiple instruments.

Serena Angelique Velázquez Ramos, 32, was killed in Puerto Rico on April 21. Ramos was killed alongside Layla Pelaez Sánchez, 21. According to reports, Ramos was visiting the island on vacation, and was set to return to her home in Queens, New York, at the end of the month. Loved ones are mourning her death, calling her “full of life,” a “happy person,” and a “sincere friend.” On May 1, two men were charged under federal hate crimes law for Ramos's death.

Layla Pelaez Sánchez, 21, was killed in Puerto Rico on April 21. Sánchez was killed alongside Serena Angelique Velázquez Ramos. According to reports, Sánchez had recently moved to the island, and was living in the Tejas neighborhood in Las Piedras. On May 1, two Puerto Rican men were charged under federal hate crimes law for Sánchez's death.

Penélope Díaz Ramírez, a transgender woman, was killed in Puerto Rico on April 13. “Penélope did not deserve to die. Transgender people do not deserve to die. Every single advocate, ally, elected official and community member must stand up in light of this horrific news and say ‘No more.’ What we are doing is not enough,” said Tori Cooper, HRC Director of Community Engagement for the Transgender Justice Initiative.

Nina Pop, a Black transgender woman, was killed in Sikeston, Missouri, on May 3. She was deeply loved by her family, friends and community, according to her Facebook page.

Helle Jae O’Regan, 20, a transgender woman, was killed in San Antonio, Texas, on May 6. O’Regan was proud of her trans identity and on Twitter, she often spoke out against injustice, including the LGBTQ+ inequality, the prison industrial complex and the need to decriminalize sex work. Damion Terrell Campbell, 42, has been charged with O’Regan’s murder.

Tony McDade, a Black transgender man, was killed in Tallhassee, Florida, on May 27. His friends and family shared how he was an energetic, giving person with a big heart.
    Dominique “Rem'mie” Fells, a Black transgender woman was killed in Philadelphia, Pennsyania, on June 9. One personal friend posted online, “Dom was a unique and beautiful soul who I am lucky to have known personally. I am beside myself right now. We need to fight!! We need to do more!!!! We will get justice.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk