Thread: Fugees

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

Fugees

So Fugees announced a 12 city tour, and apparently played a surprise show in NYC last night.
    Damn. Sadly, they made the crowd wait for three hours, and then played a short set.

I'm a Fugees fanatic. If they'd put our more music, they'd be on par with NIN for me. In the mid nineties, I printed my own Fugees shirts, and a lot of my friends called me Clef. Some people STILL call me Clef.

The Score, and then Bootleg Versions and Blunted on Reality, were literally all you could hear riding in my car for a couple years.

I hope to GOD that we get at LEAST an EP out of this. I guess the closest show to me is in Chicago, but I don't have that kind of bread.

I DON'T think this is just a cash grab, because the three of them are still worth double digit millions.

Let's pray for a new record.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    lol there will not be a new record. Come on, you know this. They all need $ (well maybe not Wyclef) so they're doing shows. That's it. Lauryn squandered a ton of money through the years. Considering how that slap in the face bullshit show went the other night, I'll be impressed if they play every date and go on before midnight. Lauryn Hill is a legitimate menace. I would never trust her with my money re: a live performance.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    lol there will not be a new record. Come on, you know this. They all need $ (well maybe not Wyclef) so they're doing shows. That's it. Lauryn squandered a ton of money through the years. Considering how that slap in the face bullshit show went the other night, I'll be impressed if they play every date and go on before midnight. Lauryn Hill is a legitimate menace. I would never trust her with my money re: a live performance.
    They're all worth over 10 million though

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @bobbie solo quit talking that good shit and pray for a new record.

Also, look at their individual net worth. Pras is worth more than Clef, supposedly.

It's not really surprising since he supposedly handled a lot of the Fugees business dealings.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    I actually like that there are only 2 albums... You would be surprised by how many people do not even know the first exists. The Score still stands the test of time, but a new record is pretty frivolous at this point. I'm also not with groups or bands making people wait 3 or more hours for a 7 song set.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I actually like that there are only 2 albums... You would be surprised by how many people do not even know the first exists. The Score still stands the test of time, but a new record is pretty frivolous at this point. I'm also not with groups or bands making people wait 3 or more hours for a 7 song set.
    Have you heard Bootleg Versions? I honestly think that counts as a third album. (I'm assuming you've heard it, tho, if you know about Tranzlator.)

Fucksake, I'd be happy with a decent Wyclef album at this point.

I loved The Carnival. I look back on it with rose tinted glasses, but it had some legitimately amazing moments like Apocalypse, Street Jeopardy, Guantanamera, Year of the Dragon, Sang Fezi.
    The Ecleftic was decent, but hit or miss. Masquerade and Preacher's Son were a little more miss than hit. Welcome to Haiti kind of sucked.
    But THEN, we got The Carnival 2. With fucking PAUL SIMON. Serj from SOAD. Lil Wayne, Mary J Blige, Chamillionaire, Will.i.am. rapping like the old BLP (before they replaced him with an AI robot programmed to make absolutely perfect pop records or whatever they did,) and it was FUVKING INCREDIBLE. The Carnival 1 brings back more memories, but I think 2 is an objectively better record.
    Then there was J'Ouvert. It was pretty bad. But, HEY, it was the 20 year anniversary of the carnival 1.
    I couldn't wait. I knew part 3 was coming.
    And, fuck me. It was awful.

I KNOW he still has some good songs in him, though. He put an anti Asian discrimination track out with MC Jin a few months ago that was pretty good.
    He put out a BADASS mixtape some years back called April Showers, but didn't clear the samples on it.

Give me a Clef album, produced by Clef and Jerry Wonder, with appearances from Prakazrel and Forte, that's GOOD, and I'd be fucking thrilled.
    Also, it needs to be a BOOM BAP record. Some of Wyclef, and Busta Rhymes, too...some of their mistakes have been trying to keep up with the times.
    It's like, dude. We're in our forties. You're in your fifties. We're NOT trying to hear you attempt to sound like Lil Pump and Kodak Black and shit.

But ok. This post is getting long.
    @Self.Destructive.Pattern , people are calling this a cash grab. Look at their net worths. They don't really NEED cash.

So, MAYBE, they actually WANT to play together again.
    Give me six fucking songs. Give me the imaginary clef record I described above, but with a few L Boogie verses and a hook or two. Give me that unmistakable production.
    I would be SO. FUCKING. HAPPY.
    I mean, does that sound legitimately impossible?
    I would agree that this tour was a cash grab if they were broke, and playing packed stadiums or some shit, or playing more than twelve dates. But, that's NOT what they're doing (two of the shows are in sub Saharan African,) and they're all three still double digit millionaires.
    SOMETHING else is going on, here.

This tour already looks like a train wreck and we'll be lucky if someone in this group doesn't wind up killing someone else.

But, could you imagine a new ep?

A boy can dream.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-03-2021 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @bobbie solo Pras is worth 20mil, Lauryn 9, and Clef 10.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @bobbie solo Pras is worth 20mil, Lauryn 9, and Clef 10.
    you quoting Celebrity Net Worth?

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    you quoting Celebrity Net Worth?
    Idfk lol.

I'm quoting alleged shit from the internet, yes, if that's what you're getting at.
    I'm not privy to his finances, obviously.

(Edit: I just checked like ten websites that estimate Clef's worth to be between 9 and 15 million.)

Although, I'd be surprised if they weren't doing alright from royalties alone, looking at the numbers for The Score, Miseducation, and even Hips Don't Lie: both albums and the single broke records.

And I mean, how much do you think they're actually going to make from a fucking 12 city tour, with two of the dates being in Africa.

I think they're playing in Ghana, ffs.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-18-2021 at 06:42 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I caught Wyclef a few years back and am confident that he doesn't need Fugees to sell concert tickets.
    This tour is a way to sell more copies of The Score. I just saw a healthy restock when crawling record shops this week.
    It is a bummer that the shows will inevitably be overpriced, undersold Arena shows.
    Seeing Wyclef in a 500 capacity venue was perfect.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    I caught Wyclef a few years back and am confident that he doesn't need Fugees to sell concert tickets.
    This tour is a way to sell more copies of The Score. I just saw a healthy restock when crawling record shops this week.
    It is a bummer that the shows will inevitably be overpriced, undersold Arena shows.
    Seeing Wyclef in a 500 capacity venue was perfect.
    I saw Clef supporting The Carnival in 97 or 98 (as part of the old Smokin' Grooves roadshow,) with Pras and John Forte, (and Jerry Wonder, of course,)and it was fucking great.
    Wyclef knows how to make a show feel like a block party or some shit. They REALLY rocked the spot.
    It was at the Star Plex in dallas, which is one of those weird designs where you can get a more intimate experience by getting a seat, in the part that has a roof, and then back behind that is GA, which is a massive lawn.

I was somewhere in the first few rows, and, damn, was that a lineup. The Black Eyed Peas (when they were a conscious hip hop trio,) Gang Starr, Busta Rhymes with ALL of Flipmode, John Forte, Wyclef Jean and the Refugee All Stars (including Pras and Forte,) Cypress Hill, Public Enemy.

I was OBSESSED with Busta/Flipmode, Fugees/Wyclef and Forte at the time. BEP were fucking badass back then, Gang Starr and Cypress Hill are fucking timeless, and Public Enemy felt like seeing Bob Dylan or something. Good GOD I wish there were still traveling shows like that.

But yeah, I agree. Clef doesn't need anyone to sell tickets.
    Shit, when I saw him, he rapped in seven languages and played guitar with his teeth and all kinds of insanity.

But I DID see a couple videos from the Fugees NY show the other night and, yeah, I got something in my eye when they played Ready or Not.
    Last edited by elevenism; 10-18-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

But I DID see a couple videos from the Fugees NY show the other night and, yeah, I got something in my eye when they played Ready or Not.
    I just watched the concert. It's an interesting blend of what I've witnessed Clef and Lauryn building independently over the last decade or so.
    It still clashes a bit with the two of them trying to orchestrate at the same time. Lauryn is great at improvisation but it can be tough for anyone else trying to find their groove. Clef adapts well and seems comfortable thinking on his feet. Luckily there were enough magical moments of synchronicity that if they're paying attention they can tap into and recreate regularly on tour.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

This one's for elevenism.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Time Machine: The Score (Side A)
    In the summer of 1996, music writer and poet Hanif Abdurraqib was 12 years old and living in Columbus, Ohio. His soundtrack for that summer: the seminal hip-hop album, The Score by Fugees. In Time Machine: The Score, Hanif transports us back in time, to a pivotal moment in both his life and in hip-hop.
    Track 1: On Bicycles
    Track 2: On Basements
    Interlude: The Ingredients
    Track 3: On Samples
    Track 4: On Cover Art
    Time Machine: The Score (Side B)
    Interlude: Home
    Track 5: On Haiti
    Track 6: On Ms. Lauryn Hill
    Track 7: On Death and Rebirth
    it's not just on Apple but I heard of if today and it's supposed to be a pretty good deep-dive into the album.