Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Jurassic Park

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    There are things I love and things I hate with this one. And yeah, CGI fest, PLUS it looks like The Lost World all over again. I will be seeing it but I doubt I will love it as it looks like a typical sequel.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I dunno, I just don't feel Jurassic Park when watching these trailers. Feels more like the usual, mindless CGI summer blockerbuster fest. The soul is gone. Jurassic World at least had some soul in it... though most of it was built upon nostalgia of the original movie and seeing a fully functional park.

I rather see a movie that goes back and follows Site B and it's downfall. I guess technically it would be set before, during, after Jurassic Park and before The Lost World. I wanted to see a movie about John Hammond's, Dr. Wu's, and INGEN's struggle to make the park and create dinosaurs and all the dark genetic shit that it took before we got the pretty island resort. The Lost World book touches upon this. To follow a younger John Hammond trying to achieve his dream while his partner secretly wants the spotlight. Leading to the eventual downfall of Site B, which would take place around the same time of the events of Jurassic Park's incident and the hurricane that hit and wrecked havoc to both islands. What happened to the folks working on Site B before they had to abandon it all? Take unused moments from the books and incorporate it into the story. There's plenty of left out material. Hell, you could even have it that has Nedry was sabotaging the park, Dodgson and his crew from the 2nd book head to Site B under the cover of chaos to steal the dinosaur eggs as a back up plan if Nedry failed and introduce new characters and, of course, the hero/dinosaur loving member of the Site B team out to stop Dodgson from robbing the place.

But that's the lame fanboy of the original books in me.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-05-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I dunno, I just don't feel Jurassic Park when watching these trailers. Feels more like the usual, mindless CGI summer blockerbuster fest. The soul is gone. Jurassic World at least had some soul in it... though most of it was built upon nostalgia of the original movie and seeing a fully functional park.

I rather see a movie that goes back and follows Site B and it's downfall. I guess technically it would be set before, during, after Jurassic Park and before The Lost World. I wanted to see a movie about John Hammond's, Dr. Wu's, and INGEN's struggle to make the park and create dinosaurs and all the dark genetic shit that it took before we got the pretty island resort. The Lost World book touches upon this. To follow a younger John Hammond trying to achieve his dream while his partner secretly wants the spotlight. Leading to the eventual downfall of Site B, which would take place around the same time of the events of Jurassic Park's incident and the hurricane that hit and wrecked havoc to both islands. What happened to the folks working on Site B before they had to abandon it all?
    But Chris Pratt has a pet dinosaur!!! Isn't that way more interesting of story to explore???

I'm in the same boat. This looks ridiculous. "Okay. You guys. What if they have to fight ANOTHER genetically modified dinosaur? And what if we give it creepy long villain hands this time?? Where'd everybody go?"

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I rather see a movie that goes back and follows Site B and it's downfall. I guess technically it would be set before, during, after Jurassic Park and before The Lost World. I wanted to see a movie about John Hammond's, Dr. Wu's, and INGEN's struggle to make the park and create dinosaurs and all the dark genetic shit that it took before we got the pretty island resort. The Lost World book touches upon this. To follow a younger John Hammond trying to achieve his dream while his partner secretly wants the spotlight. Leading to the eventual downfall of Site B, which would take place around the same time of the events of Jurassic Park's incident and the hurricane that hit and wrecked havoc to both islands. What happened to the folks working on Site B before they had to abandon it all? Take unused moments from the books and incorporate it into the story. There's plenty of left out material. Hell, you could even have it that has Nedry was sabotaging the park, Dodgson and his crew from the 2nd book head to Site B under the cover of chaos to steal the dinosaur eggs as a back up plan if Nedry failed and introduce new characters and, of course, the hero/dinosaur loving member of the Site B team out to stop Dodgson from robbing the place.

But that's the lame fanboy of the original books in me.
    Congratulations, you've just pitched Jurassic Park: Amber and Blood, coming to the theaters July 2021, featuring Chris Hemsworth as young Hammond.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @fillow
    Jurassic Park: Amber And Blood... I'll take that title over Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom :P

I'd probably pick Colin Firth or Martin Freeman as John Hammond to be honest. Younger than JP1 Hammond, but not too much. Steven Yeun as Dr. Wu.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-05-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    ...OK i might be in a minority here...but i really liked this new trailer over the original one. My expectations are low (JW wasn't a great film but it was fun) but i'm slightly more excited for this now.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    @fillow
    Jurassic Park: Amber And Blood... I'll take that title over Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom :P

I'd probably pick Colin Firth or Martin Freeman as John Hammond to be honest. Younger than JP1 Hammond, but not too much. Steven Yeun as Dr. Wu.
    At a glance I thought you'd said MORGAN Freeman as John Hammond. Know what? I'd still 100% see that if they just committed to it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    @ImTheWiseJanitor hahahaha! Well, we all know Mr. Morgan Freeman can nail any role. Just imagine his sweet, sensual voice saying "Welcome to Jurassic Park."

Perhaps he can have another role in this film. Be one of INGEN's board members being like "What the hell are you doing, John? This idea is out of control."

Open up with young John Hammond as a kid watching the original black and white Lost World movie adaptation in awe. You can see his over excitement about dinosaurs much to his parents' annoyance. Asking a million different questions and spouting a million different facts by the minute. The big build up to him turning to his parents who are half paying attention and him stating with confidence "One day, I am going to bring dinosaurs back to the world!" Zoom up to his eyes, cut to older eyes as you can see some years have past, camera pulls out and reveals John Hammond doing his little flee circus crap to a small crowd of people. A little girl squealing in delight and tugging at her mother "Mommy, can you see the flees? I can see the flees!" This is not the life John planned.

In the original book, when John was first experimenting with genetics and cloning, didn't he have like a tiny elephant he brought around to investors? This is when he first tried to make like consumer biologicals, but the elephant had temper problems or something. I think Gennaro even was in thepicture at this point. But he got enough money invested into INGEN to do what he wanted and bought a ton of amber and found Dr. Wu to help him bring his vision.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-06-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

ugh.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Not trying to be provocative, but why the ugh?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The advertising for the movie just isn't connecting with me, that's all.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Colin Trevorrow confirmed to direct Jurassic World 3
    http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...ur9sv0VfXyp.99

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ehh

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New trailer

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well... the animation still looks terrible, there's just too much of it. That dino grin at 1:22... *shrug* You ever seen a crocodile, turtle or chameleon expressing such elaborate facial movements?
    Last edited by fillow; 04-18-2018 at 11:32 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Well... the animation still looks terrible, there's just too much of it. That dino grin at 1:22... *shrug* You ever seen a crocodile, turtle or chameleon expressing such elaborate facial movements?
    I'm not feeling anything I've seen at all. It looks like a joke. It's amazing how the dinosaurs in the original movie look and feel realer than the ones in these new movies. The CGI is just overboard now and has become a comic book movie. The dinosaurs just don't feel real.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    some things I like a lot, some things I hate... but isn't this exactly what people hated about TLW blown up into a full 2h movie? And am I the only one that thinks the T-Rex is a tad small?

and that raptor grin has been there in Jurassic World already, not a big fan of it either. Nor am I a fan of those Indo-somethings. This one and the Indominus have something on their eyes that makes them look like an old witch or something. It's hard to put my finger on it, but compared to their equivalent they look like the drag-queen version with too much make up. A desperate attempt to make them look fiendish or something. I don't know...
    Last edited by dlb; 04-18-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jurassic Park 1-3 are my top fav movies ever probably. So fun and remind me of my childhood. Didnt feel Jurassic World too much, hope the second one isnt as cheesy.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustinhxc View Post
    Jurassic Park 1-3 are my top fav movies ever probably. So fun and remind me of my childhood. Didnt feel Jurassic World too much, hope the second one isnt as cheesy.
    You should watch the trailer. It looks like it's going to be total garbage.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday and thourougly enjoyed it! Way more than Jurassic World to be honest, yet the movie still has major flaws.

My major concern with this one is the same as with JW. The idea of having hybrids might be a logical progression of story to showcase man's need for bigger, louder, stronger, yet it degrades the franchise to what it tried to avoid with the first film - being a monster movie. These animals behave rather realistically and even the hybrids still have that in them, yet the action scenes wheter it's with the Indoraptor or any other of the carnivores is just so over the top. And that is the movies weakest point: the action, as it's overbloated and really sticks out like a sore thumb as J.A. managed to sneak in some rather cool and eerie scenes as well which I would have loved to see way more of.

Well, what else can you say? I liked the fact that it was darkest JP movie to date and the Indoraptor actually functions quite good and looks great on screen. The actors all do their job, nothing more, nothing less and Goldblum is just being Goldblum, which is fantastic again but way too short. Also the beginning is very cool, but also a tad too much. Less would have been more.

On the other hand the CGI was pretty bad in places and extraordinarily great to look at in other moments - the T-Rex is an absolute show stealer and of course it all comes down to the Raptors as the franchises secret main actor again.

Oh and that "twist"? Well, they build it up nicely, but the reveal was very much in vein of "ah okay, wow, jeez... oh well, got other things to focus on, bye!".

I really appreacite the movie makers to have stepped away from actually weaponizing the dinosaurs in terms of hi-tech, yet I wonder where the next film will lead us as things again play out like a neverending story.

Overall: great summer blockbuster, great Dinosaur action, but of course it lacks the soul of the first 2 and to some extent even third film. If they really bring back Sam Neil and Laura Dern I truly wonder what possible role they could play other than being the ones telling the others "ha, well, been through that already...". We shall see...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'll go into detail on my movie/review thread but...i came away feeling really disappointed. It's not a bad film by any stretch, but for me it's the worst of the 5 (yes worst than 3 and it's talking raptors...just) The IndoRaptor just ruined the film for me when it should (and could) have been the best part!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Yes, this quote came from a grown ass man.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Well... that was disappointing. I kinda wish I went and saw Solo instead. A part of me thinks I may have enjoyed it more. I honestly think I prefer the pointless Jurassic Park 3 over this one.

Jurassic World was decent. It started out good, but all that goodness was really just based in nostalgia and the kid inside you wanting to see a fully functional park. The movie loses that connection when it descends into your typical summer blockbuster Transformers mindless action movie. The dinosaurs soon don't feel like real live animals at all, but more like silly monster caricatures. Fallen Kingdom takes that to 11. Once again you have a somewhat decent start, which has some emotional moments watching the volcano destroy Isla Nublar, but that all quickly turns into a B monster movie.

It is very predictable with some very cheesy moments. It tries to copy the surprise T-Rex saves the moment, not just once, but multiple times. I'm sorry, but Spielberg earned that moment. The one thing these directors need to learn is restraint. Spielberg made an amazing movie and knew how to pull off an action adventure that surprises and dazzles you. This movie is just goes overboard. The heroic dino saves the day and wins moment and hops right at the camera to do its victorious roar. It just made me cringe. Fallen Kingdom makes me pine for the silly T-Rex escape from The Lost World. That's how absurd this movie gets.

In Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and even that third movie, the dinosaurs feel like real animals. They feel alive. These last two movies, something about them is just off. Their motions and actions now feel inauthentic. Fallen Kingdom literally turns into a monster movie.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Having seen it again my enjoyment from the first viewing really fell apart. It must have indeed been another nostalgia thing that wasn't there anymore on a second viewing. Really have to agree with @neorev , yet I already pointed that out the first time as well, the dinosaurs and the overall action is just too overboard. In the Lost World the T-Rex still felt like an animal that was released, whereas here it's a deus ex machina all the time, saving the day. And while I thought that the Indoraptor design was pretty good, as I feared it would just be a blatant copy of the Indominus, it felt scary and sinister. And if I'm brutally honest I don't even like all the actors in these movies, with Pratt being the only one who is somewhat enjoyable although you can get really tired of him now helming all these major blockbusters...

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    I saw this movie a couple days ago. I started writing a review like 20 minutes ago, and then deleted it because I'm writing on an iPad while in a hotel and figured I had too much to say that I wanted an actual keyboard. I started off by praising the movie very well, much like @dlb originally did. Now that I saw their follow up response (see above post) it got me thinking... was this as good as I thought? Do I have my nostalgia goggles on again? I feel all the movies, other than the first one have the same feeling on me, I see it in the theatre, I love it,I'm obsessed with fit, I think it was the best thing ever, and then... I buy the movie when it's released on DVD, and on second viewing I am underwhelmed. This especially happened with the lost world and Jurassic world (Jurassic park 3 just sucked from the getgo, but it still has its charm. It knows it's a bad movie, you don't watch jp3 for the story).

Anyway, I love this movie while watching it, but when I originally watched Jurassic world in theatres I thought it was the greatest thing ever, and when rewatched, I was like "why did I like this movie so much?" It's good, I'd even go as far as putting Jurassic world 2nd best in the franchises, but it has its flaws. Having just rewatched world before seeing fallen kingdom, I can't help but say though out my viewing "this is waaay better than world. Wow" but now that I think about it more, I don't think it is. It suffers from sequelitis. It's basically like what the lost world wanted to be. This movie is basically the lost world. It's just takes a lot less time to get to the point. With lost world, the main chunk of that film is on the island, which to me, is why I watch these movies. The stuff in the city was the worst part of that film for me. This one reverses the fomula. Very little island time, but more city time instead. I liked how dark and scary the movie looked though. Kudos to the director to giving it a stellar vibe. The movie looks good, and you even feel for the dinosaurs at a few points. That scene of the island burning down while they are escaping on the boat while you watch the dinosaurs die is very powerful. Such a sad scene, made me tear up and I'm a grown ass man getting sad about an extinct animal that is a threat to mankind getting killed off again. The movie has some fantastic scenes, but I might need to re-watch it again to see if it hold some up on second viewing.

bloody hell, this was just as annoying to write on an iPad as I thought it was going to be. I'd write more, but my fingers need a rest.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Spoiler: Laser-guided dinosaurs is the dumbest James Bond villain-ass idea I've ever heard. Jurassic Park is dead to me.

The one moment that I felt had ANY weight to it at all was after the volcano eruption, when everyone is looking back at the island as it's consumed. That was where the feeling in this movie started and stopped. Anything outside of that was Summer blockbuster shlock, save for a couple of "oh that was cool" moments. And about 10 too many quirky throw-away jokes.

Spoiler: I GUESS WE'RE JUST GONNA NOT ADDRESS THE FACT THAT THE LITTLE GIRL IS A CLONE AND HUMAN CLONES ARE A CANON THING NOW. NOT A SINGLE WORD ABOUT IT. NOPE.

Even Jeff Goldblum was a little off the mark.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 06-24-2018 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm always baffled by high expectations in this series, and the disappointments associated with it: the first film had incredible special effects and what I've always seen as a passable but ultimately not amazing plot. I've never expected much of the series' characters, or of it's sci fi rules or anything like that. I come for the dinosaurs, and on the back of those low expectations, I'm usually satisfied. Were talking about the fifth movie in a series about dinosaurs, it's bound to be kind of dumb

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed this movie more than I thought I would! The trailers were awful, so I had low expectations, but it was a fun popcorn flick. It was very entertaining.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    It's like the first and second halves of these Jurassic World movies were written for completely different audiences. The first half is written for the lovers of the original while the second half is written for those who enjoy Roland Emmerich/Michael Bay flicks. I should also add that I went in with low expectations and still felt disappointed at the end. The only emotional moment was the whole volcano eruption and watching the island we loved destroyed, but even that moment is mostly built on the original movie we know and love. Even that moment is more based on our inner younger self who experienced the very first film and those emotions associated resurfacing. During this moment, you can care less about these new characters or their situation and is kinda spoiled when Bayona pulls the T-Rex saves the day trick for the first time. These movies are too much about recreating moments than making new ones. This movie left me with no reason for wanting to see the next one. I'm kinda worried the next movie will go into that old concept artwork that leaked of an abandoned sequel idea of human/dino hybrids hunting down escaped dinosaurs. These movies have been pointing in that direction. Please god, don't. I'm worried the next movie will have a bigger time jump and I swear if the next movie is called Jurassic World: Chaos Effect, I will be nowhere near it. I couldn't help be reminded of that crappy Jurassic Park: Chaos Effect toyline from Kenner they put out just after The Lost World toyline featuring genetically mutated dinosaurs. I had an ah-ha moment in the theater yesterday where I was like "Oh my god, these movies have become the Chaos Effect toyline that I f $%king loathed so much when I was a kid!" Even the Indoraptor kinda looks like one of the mutated dino toys. Please lord, no dino-human hybrids, please.
    Last edited by neorev; 06-24-2018 at 05:15 PM.