0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post

Wow this is good.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    It's cool these film composers have side projects.

Seriously, though, this is fucking great. Who knows when we'll get more NIN, but Babysitter, Isn't Everyone, and True have been some amazing surprises to scratch that itch along the way (not to mention the Bowie tribute, the Halsey record, film scores, etc).

No shit! I was just thinking yesterday that even if the "theme" of the new NIN record isn't still about "collaboration" like Trent once said, we're getting plenty of that in the way of this recent string of great songs you mentioned. I'm only familiar with Danny Elfman's scoring work (he's up there with John Williams as far as how much of my childhood was scored by him), but I will have to check out his entire new album because I'm really liking this track. I'm glad it has an appropriately creepy music video, too! Speaking of which, I'd love to see NIN return to making more videos. This one and the video for St. Vincent's cover of Sad But True feel VERY NIN-esque.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    No shit! I was just thinking yesterday that even if the "theme" of the new NIN record isn't still about "collaboration" like Trent once said, we're getting plenty of that in the way of this recent string of great songs you mentioned.
    I just started this thread of a Spotify list I made today compiling a bunch of the little collabs, one-offs, etc. that Trent and Atticus have worked on over the years:

https://www.echoingthesound.org/comm...pilation-Album

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Pretty cool. The first 20ish seconds sounds like an early PIG track merged with Reptile. Also, Danny Elfman is becoming more scary over time - I like it.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Never made the Elfman:Oingo Boingo connection.
    I hadn't either until very recently.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

It's awesome to be old, for once! I'm so grateful to have been there for the Oingo Boingo years. You younglings don't know what you have missed.

And Danny Elfman always was creepy, sort of. He had this demented serial killer look in that video (and mutlipe others) that I've always loved.

Also: he has a very unique voice; instantly recognizable.

I am so insanely happy right now!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    so fuckin' cool

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Elfman is one of a kind. Danny played Satan in 'Forbidden Zone' (1980)...directed by his brother. Definitely worth a watch if you're into left-field movies.

Wow, really great collaboration on the song. Trent put some love into that. I hope this ends up in the Elfman vinyl boxset I preordered. *wish*

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Never made the Elfman:Oingo Boingo connection.
    It was the same for me up until 2015 or so. I knew about both but separately. I literally went "Wait, the film composer whose works I grew up loving was the singer for that?", likely echoing baffled statements of future TR/AR fans. Boingo, their last album, really seemed like it was paving the way for a dark solo career...it's long overdue.

Also, this is, if I'm being honest, the first collab out of TR+X over the past while I've thought was straight amazing, top to bottom. It's been ehh (Tobacco) to pretty great (Health) to holy fucking amazeballs (this)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Of this new rendition, Danny enthuses: "This is the first duet/collaboration I’ve ever done in my life, so to do it with Trent was a real surprise and a treat. He’s always been a big inspiration to me, not to mention he has one of my all-time favourite singing voices."

From Kerrang article, I don't have the link handy but Danny RT'd it on Twitter.

This is cool!

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Last edited by allegro; 08-12-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    (Also, Danny is married to Bridget Fonda.)

@thelastdisciple -

Last edited by allegro; 08-11-2021 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've been camping since Sunday so imagine my surprise when I get a signal coming back into civilization and the first thing I see is a notification from BandCamp saying Danny Elfman released a song with Trent Reznor.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Can't say I go much on this track, other than enjoying Trent's contribution. Regardless, am down with this period of collaboration in principle. Here's to more.
    Anyone else surprised that Atticus is not involved? Just seems weird seeing something with Trent's name on that didn't involve Atticus. Must have been a while since that happened, right? Sure Attics was just taking a break at that point, or working on a soundtrack with his other team.
    Oh, and this is the Bandcamp link for anyone after the download: https://dannyelfman.bandcamp.com/album/true
    Last edited by ChipRock; 08-12-2021 at 03:57 AM. Reason: linky linky

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Anyone else surprised that Atticus is not involved? Just seems weird seeing something with Trent's name on that didn't involve Atticus. Must have been a while since that happened, right? Sure Attics was just taking a break at that point, or working on a soundtrack with his other team.
    Not super surprising, the song and even this incarnation with the heavier production/arrangement appears to have been completed by Danny, and he just asked TR to sing and add a few synths on his own at the end of the process. So even if AR wasn't busy elsewhere and TR offered him the chance to work on it, what could he have added?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    Can't say I go much on this track, other than enjoying Trent's contribution. Regardless, am down with this period of collaboration in principle. Here's to more.
    Yeah, keep in mind Atticus usually scores an additional 2-3 things per year outside of the TR/AR projects.

Also, as this was a collaboration on something Danny had already created, I wouldn't be surprised if the idea was to keep it more intimate between the two of them. Instead of the usual "give me the files, and we'll kick it around in the studio," it may have been more of a direct, one-on-one collaboration.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Officially adding True to the wishlist of songs NIN needs to play live.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Officially adding True to the wishlist of songs NIN needs to play live.
    I'd be gobsmacked if we didn't get this and/or "Isn't Everyone" in September. And maybe "Babysitter"...if shit gets weird.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Loved the song and video, Elfman is on a roll lately!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Loved the song and video, Elfman is on a roll lately!
    I could argue that Elfman has been on a roll for decades but then again, I've been a die hard fan of his before I've even heard of Trent Reznor. I'm definitely not partial here.

They are both musical gods to me.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Musically this song seems like it wouldn't feel out of place on the fragile (though the lyrics don't really seem like they'd fit), and I absolutely love that about it.

I think I actually like this more than I like most of what NIN has put out in the last several years, and I really like a lot of that too.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Findus View Post
    That was fucking terrifying and I want the next NIN video to be just like it.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Regarding a previous post saying Bowie influence all over it, the “just like me” part kept reminding me of Lazarus.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Let's have Danny Elfman open some shows for NIN!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dream tour for me <3 Imagine a tour similar to the Outside tour with Bowie. Performing their individual songs with duets and crossover performances.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Last edited by Calx1111; 08-14-2021 at 03:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Danny has pretty severe hearing problems from touring with Oingo Boingo, which is one reason why he broke up Oingo Boingo.

From an interview:

I think you’ve basically already answered this… but would you ever consider an Oingo Boingo reunion? Have you been approached about that?

Oh, Oingo Boingo has been approached every year to do a reunion! But that will never happen with me. They can do it, if they wish. I can’t physically get in front of that decibel level ever again. When I stopped doing Oingo Boingo, I knew that I would never get on that kind of concert stage ever in my life again without totally destroying my hearing — what was left of it. So there was a real, simple, clear reason to get out of that. So even though I’m finding myself once again on the concert stage, standing in front of an orchestra is way more controllable. Orchestras are not that loud when you’re standing next to them; you don’t hear about conductors going deaf because orchestras are too loud. So that’s been an interesting way to get back into doing some performing.
    He WAS scheduled to perform at Coachella and tour last year, so I imagine he’d figured out a way to harness the power of IEMs.
    Last edited by allegro; 08-15-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Chalk me up as another fool who's been sleeping on Danny Elfman all these years. I'd heard plenty of soundtrack stuff, of course, but had no idea he was doing anything remotely like this. I'm still on my first listen of Big Mess and it's just glorious; will have to start workin' my way back to Oingo Boingo now (had never made that connection either). Anyway, the DE+TR track kicks major ass, too. Glorious all around!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The Little Girls video is so strange.

But all this Oingo Boingo talk lets me post my absolute favorite lyric of all time:

Christian nation(nation), make us alright
    Put us through the filter and make us pure and white 'cause'
    My mind has wandered away from me
    And the flock has wandered, away from me

Let's talk of family values while we sit and watch the slaughter
    Hypothetical abortions on imaginary daughters
    The white folks think they're at the top, ask any proud white male
    A million years of evolution, we get Danny Quayle

I mean admittedly the whole song is just pointed barbs and jabs and it's 27 years old. fucking sad how much things have stayed the same.