Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Gigabit Switch HELP - (PS4, AppleTV, Google Wifi)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Gigabit Switch HELP - (PS4, AppleTV, Google Wifi)

Admins, please let me know if this is the wrong place to post...

I recently purchased a new TP Link 5-port gigabit switch for my living room in hopes of having my Google Wifi, PS4 and AppleTV 4k all connected to a hard line. I plugged one CAT6 ethernet cord from my modem to the PORT 1 in the switch. I then connected another CAT6 eth. cord from my Apple TV 4K to PORT 2. Finally I ran yet another CAT 6 eth. cord from my PS4 to the switch. All three port lights are lit green and blinking meaning activity.

My problem is, the PS4 is not connecting to the internet when connected to the switch. It works great if the PS4 is connected directly to the modem. But when connected via the switch, I run a setup > LAN > easy... it sits on "Checking Network Environment" for a bit and eventually takes me to the custom settings. When clicking the IP as manual... it shows the IP, Subnet, DNS 1 and DNS 2 as 0.0.0.0 . I went to my AppleTV and works just fine on the switch. It IS recognizing that a LAN cable is connected, because it lets me know when I unplug it that is is no longer connected.

Things I've tried:

• Having ONLY the PS4 connected on the switch (not counting the cord from my modem) - nothing
    • Copied the IP, Subnet, DNS 1 and DNS 2 from what my Apple TV says - nothing
    • I tried the above two after switching to different ports - nothing

I've see numerous threads where people have discussed their PS4s working well with a switch so not sure what I am doing wrong. Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Note: My ARRIS Surfboard 3.1 modem only has two ethernet ports, one is going to the Google Wifi router which leaves one on the modem -- I'd like to have the AppleTV 4k AND PS4 hooked up hence the reason for the switch.
    "Why not just use the Google WiFi?" -- mainly its because the speed is slow for some reason on the PS4. Regardless of the main Google WiFi router being literally inches from the modem and PS4, I'm only getting 50 mbps down... meanwhile my laptop that i am typing this on in another room is getting 230+ mbps down. When I had my PS4 hooked directly to the modem, I was getting a solid 230+ mbps down... which is why I was hoping the switch would work...

Please tell me I am a dumbass and missing something simple.

UPDATE: i switched some things around, toggling on and off and now the PS4 is getting a connection from the switch BUT now the Apple TV says it's connected but not getting internet. Does the Arris Surfboard limit access on a switch? Even after turning off the Ps4 and restarting the Apple TV, the ATV is still not receiving internet but says connected via ethernet.

UPDATE 2: I tried something... turned on Apple TV, and PS4... unplugged modem... plugged back in. Boom... PS4 and Apple TV both work and are receiving a fast connection... BUT my Google Wifi router that is plugged into the first port on my modem... is out. So I unplugged the modem again... once plugged back in... PS4 is still connected and getting good speeds AND my Google Wifi is back BUT.... drumroll... my AppleTV is no longer working. Says connected, as all IP, DNS subnet mask info listed. But nothing. On the verge of throwing this switch out the door. Or my modem, if it is the issue. The ONLY common denominator out of these scenarios is that there is always ONE thing not getting a signal. Either the PS4, AppleTV or my Google Wifi router. The cord that connects the modem to the switch always shows activity. So there has to be something gatekeeping and I'm not sure how to fix it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'm assuming the ports are automatic? I know they vary between 10/100/1000 mpbs. What model do you have for the tp link box? Modem should be first and then router, switch to router, then devices.

I recently had a problem with my Lenovo tower and my PS5 being on at the same time, my PS5 and the comp would lose connection all the time until it eventually stopped working together. Come to find out, my modem took a shit, so I know it wasn't too much bandwidth. Mind you, my PS5 was connected directly to the modem and had my comp using an ethernet splitter. Sounds like your ATV and Google WiFi are not cooperating when connected at the same time since the PS4 stayed connected after resetting. I'd say go over your connections again.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 08-08-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    You need to have your modem first in line then plug in your router to route traffic as needed, then plug your switch to the router output and then all other devices to the switch.

Modem to Router (unless it's a gateway which is both modem and router in one device, if so, make sure to plug the switch to only the outputs of the gateway), router output to switch, all other devices to the switch.

Edit: Also it wouldn't hurt to power cycle all devices once you set the above up so it clears any leases and grabs new IP addresses.
    PPS: Whatever you do, do not, I repeat, do not plug your switch to your modem. you need a router in between modem and switch (technically this is doable but with a managed switch and it's way above a typical residential setup and also very complicated). Otherwise you end up with a switch loop that confuses all connected devices and cause things to go crazy traffic wise.
    For more info about this check out this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switching_loop
    Last edited by ziltoid; 08-08-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Thanks! This fixed everything!

Admins, feel free to delete.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Thanks! This fixed everything!

Admins, feel free to delete.
    If you don't mind, I'd like to leave this up in case anyone else has a similar problem and would find the dialogue helpful.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    If you don't mind, I'd like to leave this up in case anyone else has a similar problem and would find the dialogue helpful.
    For sure! Doesn't bother me at all.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    YESSSSS. Glad we could help!