Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Phoebe Fucking Bridgers

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Phoebe Fucking Bridgers

Punisher was one of the best albums of last year, easily the best musical output that Phoebe has made yet, and she absolutely killed it on SNL last night. It's been really fun seeing her career explode during this pandemic in such an unusual way, with her Punisher tour essentially being various television performances.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, that was really great.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Phoebe Bridgers owns my ass.

She's such a breath of fresh air for me. A great writer, a simple voice that she uses very well, and a seemingly wonderful human being with a good sense of humor.

Maybe this is just me being a nutty fangirl, but as a fan of all things depressing and dark I feel like she's somebody I've been waiting for my whole life. I've always gravitated to artists with a very dark sense of style and writing, but there is a sort of toxic mindset common to a LOT of the artists I've loved before her. That "dark poet" mindset is often accompanied by dudes who take themselves WAY too seriously and are kind of shitbags who write off their shitty personalities as just being sensitive and dark. Then she comes along and writes in a similar manner, but doesn't seem to take herself too seriously and has a dorky sense of humor. It's refreshing.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Currently looking into my divorce options so I can marry Ms. Bridgers.

Always love when someone who comes from the punk/hardcore/metal world...even if just a part of the scene as a kid but didn't necessarily play in a band...connects with me when the style of music they play now is far different.

Here's her SNL performance of Kyoto:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    shes been showing up in all my feeds this morning. I guess the algorithm is working.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I enjoyed her performance on SNL. Like her the best of all the singers of that ilk (boygenius, etc). Probably because she rocks more than the rest of them.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I liked the I Know the End song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Literally me when ever I see Phoebe Bridgers on my Twitter feed.

Punisher was my second favorite record of last year and she could literally do anything and I'd pay all my money and kneel like the pathetic fangirl I am.

These SNL performances were great and I don't get the weird fixation idiots are having on her smashing her guitar. I like how she's retweeting a bunch of people taking the piss out of those idiots tho.
    https://twitter.com/drewisgooden/sta...76239267385355

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Currently looking into my divorce options so I can marry Ms. Bridgers.
    I wanna watch you duel Connor Oberst for her.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I liked the I Know the End song.
    Definitely my favorite song of hers right now. I had to put myself on a "I Know The End" diet so that I didn't listen to it too much and numb myself to the magic of that one.

I love it when a song has a change in sound or tempo halfway through and it just sort of...I dunno. Blossoms? I don't know the musical term for that. It triggers something really emotional in me. I have a similar reaction to a few NIN songs that do that too.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    She's not too off from groups I really, really adore like Soccer Mommy, Big Thief, Waxahatchee, Alex G and more ... but I couldn't just get into Punisher. People seem to really dig it, so that's cool.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    So people are big mad about the guitar, including David Crosby. This exchange had me wheezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    She's not too off from groups I really, really adore like Soccer Mommy, Big Thief, Waxahatchee, Alex G and more ... but I couldn't just get into Punisher. People seem to really dig it, so that's cool.
    I couldn't either, not sure why. The outrage is ridiculous, although it was definitely a planned thing...so it kind of seems really dumb to do.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    why is planning to smash your guitar any different than planning to light something on fire or have pyrotechnics? just because it's planned doesn't mean it can't be passionate. it's a performance, let people perform the way they want. it's her instrument, it's her choice, people need to get over themselves about this and stop criticizing her.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    David Crosbys obsession with Phoebe today is EXACTLY why the term "ok boomer" exists.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Honest question: do these people really care about what David Crosby's old ass has to say about anything? Or are they baiting him to make an ass of himself?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Honest question: do these people really care about what David Crosby's old ass has to say about anything? Or are they baiting him to make an ass of himself?
    He’s got a legion of boomers helping him shout at the clouds on a somewhat regular basis. He seems like a grouchy fuck, his tweets occasionally show up on my newsfeed and I have to laugh. This is a pretty normal occurrence for him TBH.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    The joke is that everyone he has ever worked with hates him.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Crosby totally wrecked his really valuable liver and paid a lot of money to jump the line to get a new one.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Lmao he’s STILL going off about this. I’m watching him melt down in real time instead of doing any work.

She’s gonna get a lot of mileage out of denting a guitar for a simple laugh.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Crosby does come off grouchy sometimes and this is no exception, but he's mostly pretty righteous and he's still putting out good music.

I can't say anything about her music because I don't know it. It's her right to call him a bitch over it, but honestly that trick did look stupid. It got her attention, which I can't say is a bad thing. It was Super Bowl weekend and SNL hardly gets any attention over musical acts anymore, unless they do something that winds up trending or in the news (remember Ashlee Simpson?).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Listened to the new Boygenius, The Record last night.

It's a very good album. Kind of what I expected--indie rock/pop. It's hard to live up to the hype, but it's a good and will very likely end up on a lot of best of the year lists.