Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lana Del Rey

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thenorthwood View Post
    I like many of Lana’s songs and others I find unmemorable. Has anyone seen her live? I’m curious enough to get a ticket for a show next year but I am undecided because of what I’ve read about lack of stage presence and performance and brevity of said performance. Plus I’ve read her shows become too much of an audience sing along, which I don’t like. Plus it’s in an arena and I don’t know how those intimate melancholy songs will translate in such a sizeable venue. All this debate because I don’t know if it’s worth taking a vacation day or two to travel to see her, which I would have to do.
    Planning to see her in January when she stops in Charlotte, NC. I’ll get back to you.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    I like many of Lana’s songs and others I find unmemorable. Has anyone seen her live? I’m curious enough to get a ticket for a show next year but I am undecided because of what I’ve read about lack of stage presence and performance and brevity of said performance. Plus I’ve read her shows become too much of an audience sing along, which I don’t like. Plus it’s in an arena and I don’t know how those intimate melancholy songs will translate in such a sizeable venue. All this debate because I don’t know if it’s worth taking a vacation day or two to travel to see her, which I would have to do.
    the rumors are true! i saw her live this year and it was incredibly boring, too short, and full of too many tweens in flower crowns singing along. and i'm a pretty big fan...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Planning to see her in January when she stops in Charlotte, NC. I’ll get back to you.
    Good, I’ll be curious to read about your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I saw her a couple of years ago with Grimes, I thought Lana was fantastic. I wasn't a big fan of hers before I saw her live either.
    Good to know she left a positive impression. I love Grimes, saw her open for Florence & the Machine. That would be a different juxtaposition with Grimes’ music being high energy and Lana’s low key.

Quote Originally Posted by frankie teardrop View Post
    the rumors are true! i saw her live this year and it was incredibly boring, too short, and full of too many tweens in flower crowns singing along. and i'm a pretty big fan...
    See that’s what makes me hesitate. Would you pay to see her again?

I was actually at a Lana Del Rey concert in 2015 when she played with Courtney Love. Courtney was fantastic and as a huge Hole fan I was excited to finally see her perform. Then we waited for an hour and they announced the show was canceled because of severe weather threat (outdoor venue). A huge uproar went through the crowd and everyone eventually filed out, just to sit in the parking lot for an hour. So, I never got to see her and it feels like a missed opportunity. The date was eventually canceled instead of rescheduled so at least I got to see Courtney Love for free! I can’t tell you how many angry conversations I heard leaving the venue complaining they only got to see Courtney....”Who the hell is Courtney Love?!”

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Would you pay to see her again?
    definitely not. still a fan, just not interested in the live show from here on out.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Picked up the 180g vinyl on a whim... lavish and lush production.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I was actually at a Lana Del Rey concert in 2015 when she played with Courtney Love. Courtney was fantastic and as a huge Hole fan I was excited to finally see her perform. Then we waited for an hour and they announced the show was canceled because of severe weather threat (outdoor venue). A huge uproar went through the crowd and everyone eventually filed out, just to sit in the parking lot for an hour. So, I never got to see her and it feels like a missed opportunity. The date was eventually canceled instead of rescheduled so at least I got to see Courtney Love for free! I can’t tell you how many angry conversations I heard leaving the venue complaining they only got to see Courtney....”Who the hell is Courtney Love?!”
    I was at this same show in Dallas. I left feeling so incredibly disappointed, especially since I had traveled from out of town to go to this show. I was really digging her set list on this tour.

I did get to see her at ACL Festival a few years ago, and I thought she was fantastic then. I also got tickets to see her in Austin this coming Feb., so I'll finally get to see her again.

I'm looking forward to it, while there a few tracks that are kind of skippable, I think Lust for Life was overall great and a step in the right direction. While I think I enjoy Honeymoon more overall as whole album experience, Lust for Life has songs I like more than anything off of Honeymoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    How was the show?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    How was the show?
    Chose not to. I'm such a killjoy

The girl I was seeing didn't want to go so I opted out. me and her might see Beck in April as a consolation.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New single. Second single next week. Album early 2019.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    One of the things i really like about Lana is that, for all the sweet sounding music and vocal stylings, she slips in all this course language. Not just that, but she works it into the context of the songs so it's not even out of place, and it's not there just for shock value.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    "My pussy tastes like pepsi-cola" was a bit of a "whoa" moment when it came out. As soon as I heard it I was hooked, but you're right, it served this Americana vibe and wasn't just about the language used.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I love this woman with all my heart.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Already? Dang.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Norman Fucking Rockwell drops Aug 30. First tour dates announced.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    It's been six years since I've seen her live. Come on over lady, I want to spend a ridicilous amount of money for 16 songs. Sad thing is, I really want to.

Excited for the new record. The last two albums didn't really catch me, but there are some great songs here and there.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    So having a bit of time to get through the album in its entirety a few times now, fuckssakes it is gooooood​.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last edited by october_midnight; 01-11-2021 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I almost feel bad for Lana that she's being called out, now that her being a poster child for white privilege as well as a Trump apologist is kind of coming to light.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I love her imagery and sound, but she is just unbelievably dense and cannot read the room to save her life.

Her little outburst on instagram about how unfair critics were being to her was just bizarre. She absolutely did get a lot of criticism early in her career, and I felt like the earlier reactions to her lyrics were unfair. Unhealthy, codependent relationships like the ones she portrays in her work are a part of life for many people and are thus fair game for art. How many people love songs like "Reptile" and "Closer" even though those are clearly about unhealthy expressions of intimacy, but will clutch their pearls listening to "Born to Die" lyrics? So I supported her lyrical content because I did feel like the double standard was unfair.

But the weird thing is that when NFR was released those criticisms finally eased up, and reviewers were praising her relentlessly. So why did she decide to whine about Beyonce and FKA Twigs now? Why aim your frustration at women at all when historically it's been men who have gotten away with that? It didn't seem provoked by anything in particular, which just read as her making the success of black women all about her. If she had discussed the double standard that exists between male lyricists and female lyricists, I feel like her point would have made sense. And those women she mentioned DO get shit on for their lyrical content. Beyonce, Nicki and Cardi in particular.

And the "i have friends who are black rappers" shit just made me shake my head.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    I love her imagery and sound, but she is just unbelievably dense and cannot read the room to save her life.

Her little outburst on instagram about how unfair critics were being to her was just bizarre. She absolutely did get a lot of criticism early in her career, and I felt like the earlier reactions to her lyrics were unfair. Unhealthy, codependent relationships like the ones she portrays in her work are a part of life for many people and are thus fair game for art. How many people love songs like "Reptile" and "Closer" even though those are clearly about unhealthy expressions of intimacy, but will clutch their pearls listening to "Born to Die" lyrics? So I supported her lyrical content because I did feel like the double standard was unfair.

But the weird thing is that when NFR was released those criticisms finally eased up, and reviewers were praising her relentlessly. So why did she decide to whine about Beyonce and FKA Twigs now? Why aim your frustration at women at all when historically it's been men who have gotten away with that? It didn't seem provoked by anything in particular, which just read as her making the success of black women all about her. If she had discussed the double standard that exists between male lyricists and female lyricists, I feel like her point would have made sense. And those women she mentioned DO get shit on for their lyrical content. Beyonce, Nicki and Cardi in particular.

And the "i have friends who are black rappers" shit just made me shake my head.
    To date, I've missed the boat on her. I should at least listen. Seems like 1 of those head in the clouds artists though. I got turned off by that first SNL appearance. She was beyond terrible.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I'm just getting into her music, bought "NFR" and liked it, which one should i get next?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I'm just getting into her music, bought "NFR" and liked it, which one should i get next?
    Ultraviolence, for sure, then Honeymoon

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxto View Post
    Ultraviolence, for sure, then Honeymoon
    Awesome, will do.

From "Ultraviolence" i know "West Coast" and i love that one.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Cruel World from Ultraviolence remains one of my favourites of hers.

Chemtrails Over The Country Club took a while to grow on me but I really love Yosemite and the title track now and enjoy it was a whole.

Black Bathing Suit and Dealer are interesting tracks from Blue Bannisters, which again the title track really grew on me but I need to spend a bit more time with it overall.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Last edited by october_midnight; 12-07-2022 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I really wasn't into her music when she first came up, but I've pretty much turned around completely and I dig it now. I still haven't sat down and listened to an album all the way through yet though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've been a Lana fan a long time. This latest song, from her new album due out this week, might be her finest yet:

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    This is a RIDICULOUSLY strong Said A. Holy shit.