Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power - new Halsey album produced by Trent and Atticus

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Trailer # 2. Awaiting the hot takes

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Here's a very lukewarm take to go with all the spicy ones.

Didn't have any idea who Halsey was before this announcement, and I did not enjoy the music of hers that I searched out once I did. Obviously I'd be most interested in Trent and Atticus collaborating with someone I like and feel very enthusiastic about but the "sellout" chorus from some fans is very childish - I have no doubt that they find something about this project creatively rewarding. However since the brief partnership with Columbia (where the major motivation was reaching a wider audience and gaining more exposure) and Hesitation Marks, Trent has clearly had an interest in trying to cast a wider net culturally, beyond the NIN cult, and I'm sure this project appeals to them in that sense too.

The trailers and snippets so far are interesting. I'm not in love with the music so far, and the film mostly seems to be Halsey walking around beautiful looking sets / buildings / locales with lots of big, crazy outfits on, but I'll definitely give the album a listen when it comes out.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I feel like the phrase "dark pop masterpiece" is going to be bandied about by the media for a while.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    all hail the nin cult!!!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    This sounds just as poppy as Manic and I love it and I hope it makes the NIN facebook community big mad. I hope trent and atticus come out on stage next year when Halsey tours and they both have glitter all over their bodies in place of the cornstarch.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    I'm not in love with the music so far
    I am. I cannot wait for this album to absolutely slay and the hard-ass NIN fans being unwilling to admit it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    God damn the song from the latest trailer sounds good.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I don't think I'm much interested in the film aspect of the album concept but the track in that trailer slaps. I'm upgrading my status from mildly optimistic to eagerly awaiting.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    I don't think I'm much interested in the film aspect of the album concept but the track in that trailer slaps. I'm upgrading my status from mildly optimistic to eagerly awaiting.
    The film looks artsy enough for me to maybe go see it but i’m definitely more intrigued about the music. Really looking forward to hearing it after watching that trailer.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Damn that song sounds fucking GREAT.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    This sounds just as poppy as Manic and I love it and I hope it makes the NIN facebook community big mad. I hope trent and atticus come out on stage next year when Halsey tours and they both have glitter all over their bodies in place of the cornstarch.
    I'm much more excited for this instead of a collab with Deftones, Tool or any other obvious bands from the 90's that NIN fans keep dreaming of.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I am. I cannot wait for this album to absolutely slay and the hard-ass NIN fans being unwilling to admit it.
    The most recent trailer is definitely the most promising in this regard - the earlier previews felt almost a bit too similar to TR/AR's score work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    THATS SO FUCKING COOL

the melody synth sounding straight out of a minute to breathe but playing a catchy pop melody, such a cool twist!

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Real talk though, where’s the fucking single? It’s starting to come off as if there’s a lack of confidence in the music created so they’re not letting us have a real preview.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but there are now cities listed for the showings, my city will get it woot woot!

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 25TH

• ATLANTA, GEORGIA
    • AUSTIN, TEXAS
    • BALTIMORE, MARYLAND
    • BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
    • CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA
    • CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    • CLEVELAND, OHIO
    • DALLAS, TEXAS
    • DENVER, COLORADO
    • DETROIT, MICHIGAN
    • FRESNO, CALIFORNIA
    • FT. MYERS, FLORIDA
    • HONOLULU, HAWAII
    • HOUSTON, TEXAS
    • INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
    • KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI
    • KNOXVILLE, TENNESSEE
    • LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
    • LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
    • MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE
    • MIAMI, FLORIDA
    • MILWAUKEE, WISCONSIN
    • MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA
    • MONTREAL, QUEBEC
    • NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE
    • NEW YORK, NEW YORK
    • OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA
    • ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    • PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA
    • PHOENIX, ARIZONA
    • PITTSBURGH, PENNSYLVANIA
    • PORTLAND, OREGON
    • RALEIGH-DURHAM, NORTH CAROLINA
    • SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA
    • SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS
    • SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA
    • SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA
    • SEATTLE, WASHINGTON
    • ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI
    • TAMPA, FLORIDA
    • TORONTO, ONTARIO
    • VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
    • WASHINGTON, D.C.

THURSDAY AUGUST 26TH

• AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
    • AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
    • BERLIN, GERMANY
    • MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
    • DUBLIN, IRELAND
    • EDINBURGH, UNITED KINGDOM
    • GUADALAJARA, MEXICO
    • LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
    • LIVERPOOL, UNITED KINGDOM
    • MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM
    • MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
    • MONTERREY, MEXICO
    • SHEFFIELD, UNITED KINGDOM

https://www.loveandpower.com/imax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Real talk though, where’s the fucking single? It’s starting to come off as if there’s a lack of confidence in the music created so they’re not letting us have a real preview.
    Or perhaps they'd rather take the chance people go see it in theatres and hear it all fresh and in context of the visuals.

This seems very much conceptualized as an audio/visual album.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It’s starting to come off as if there’s a lack of confidence in the music...
    There's no confidence in the music...so they're doing a big campaign involving IMAX screenings in major cities around the world? That makes zero sense.

They're teasing out the music, just like lots of artists do. Maybe a single will drop shortly before the album release. Maybe these screenings ARE the single. It's clear they're not trying to go the traditional route with this album, so I don't see why the lack of a single means that there's no confidence in the album.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    One thing I'm worried about is that this thing is gonna be in every. single. TR interview or article for the upcoming year. Even longer if it gets any award.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    One thing I'm worried about is that this thing is gonna be in every. single. TR interview or article for the upcoming year. Even longer if it gets any award.
    So what if it is? Let's be honest, every interview within an album / score / award cycle is the same as the last. Let them get recognition as producers and let them amplify Halsey. All the press!

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Where’s the single?

One step at a time, folks. There’s not even a song title yet much less a track list. That’s where I’m at.
    Last edited by Swykk; 07-30-2021 at 08:09 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    There's no confidence in the music...so they're doing a big campaign involving IMAX screenings in major cities around the world? That makes zero sense.

They're teasing out the music, just like lots of artists do. Maybe a single will drop shortly before the album release. Maybe these screenings ARE the single. It's clear they're not trying to go the traditional route with this album, so I don't see why the lack of a single means that there's no confidence in the album.
    Yeah, the music in this trailer felt like, "hey, it's all been gloomy and dark so far, but don't worry, this is still Halsey, so here's a tease of a badass pop song that you're gonna be singing along to in the car in a month." They got TR/AR fans and more open-minded Halsey fans with the first trailer, now they need to make sure they get casual fans of Halsey and more "traditional" pop music.

I think Manic is a good way to set expectations -- it's concepty, some songs will be intimate and moody, some songs will be poppy, but it will ultimately feel like a cohesive thing.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    i might be taking my friends’ teen daughter to go see the imax movie and i’m trying to figure out if that means i’m the cool mom friend or the dorky nin fan mom friend. perhaps it’s both. i’m fine with either.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Here's a very lukewarm take to go with all the spicy ones.

Didn't have any idea who Halsey was before this announcement, and I did not enjoy the music of hers that I searched out once I did. Obviously I'd be most interested in Trent and Atticus collaborating with someone I like and feel very enthusiastic about but the "sellout" chorus from some fans is very childish - I have no doubt that they find something about this project creatively rewarding. However since the brief partnership with Columbia (where the major motivation was reaching a wider audience and gaining more exposure) and Hesitation Marks, Trent has clearly had an interest in trying to cast a wider net culturally, beyond the NIN cult, and I'm sure this project appeals to them in that sense too.

The trailers and snippets so far are interesting. I'm not in love with the music so far, and the film mostly seems to be Halsey walking around beautiful looking sets / buildings / locales with lots of big, crazy outfits on, but I'll definitely give the album a listen when it comes out.

Great job on staying with the trope of pop star pretty girls doing nothing in multiple outfits and standing around in a video. I mean those 2 minutes just totally turned me off and will make me not want to watch the entire thing because Im so close minded and have zero appreciation or trust in an artists vision. If Halsey was reading this you would be getting a double middle finger directed right at you btw. Its this kind of stuff that has made them refuse to do interviews, along with the pronoun use.

So wasnt the final death knell the Soul music score cause it was a Disney movie? Did parents buy NIN shirts for their 8 year olds after seeing the movie? Where is the Disney+ series with Trent and Atticus showing kids how to play the synthesizer?

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So whats the problem? Is NIN going to become too ''popular'' now that you wont be able to get tickets to a show? I doubt it. I guess the cult is going to have to have a meeting of the minds on how to battle teenagers for tickets.

I dont think a single would make a difference here because it might take some context out of the whole release. Sometimes albums have to be taken as a whole and best digested that way. Less can be more. This isnt like AFI who on their latest album released 8 songs leading up, thats just overkill, it killed the desire to hear the rest.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Great job on staying with the trope of pop star pretty girls doing nothing in multiple outfits and standing around in a video. I mean those 2 minutes just totally turned me off and will make me not want to watch the entire thing because Im so close minded and have zero appreciation or trust in an artists vision. If Halsey was reading this you would be getting a double middle finger directed right at you btw. Its this kind of stuff that has made them refuse to do interviews, along with the pronoun use.

So wasnt the final death knell the Soul music score cause it was a Disney movie? Did parents buy NIN shirts for their 8 year olds after seeing the movie? Where is the Disney+ series with Trent and Atticus showing kids how to play the synthesizer?
    Okay, I did not know there was a pronoun preference I was missing, Halsey's wiki says "her" constantly, and for that I am happy to apologize. As far as the rest of this venom goes, wow, if my frankly fairly innocuous comment here - where my worst offense beyond an honest mistake was making a somewhat reductive description of the trailer footage and saying "I'm not in love with the music so far" - is enough to get this wad of pissy shit, boy is this thread going to be fun when this comes out!

I'll be curious to hear the album. I hope I like it. If I don't, that's okay! Or at least I think it's okay. Some of you seem intent on viewing any opinion less enthusiastic than gushing praise as ideologically impure, and to those of you who feel that way, get over yourselves. There are going to be people who aren't into this for totally fair reasons, just as there are people who will dismiss this whole project outright for very superficial and shallow reasons.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    However since the brief partnership with Columbia (where the major motivation was reaching a wider audience and gaining more exposure) and Hesitation Marks, Trent has clearly had an interest in trying to cast a wider net culturally...
    I think it goes further back than that. Ever since things took off for Nine Inch Nails, Trent has always straddled the line between bucking the trends and keeping his eye on them. The guy was on a subsidiary of a major record company for fifteen years, so the idea of him "selling out" just seems silly at this point. He's been mainstream for as long as a lot of people have been fans of his work. I think he's just reached a point where he wants to try new things instead of feeling boxed in by what people think he should be doing. I imagine he's quite happy to be doing stuff that makes the fanbase go "Huh?".

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Okay, I did not know there was a pronoun preference I was missing, Halsey's wiki says "her" constantly, and for that I am happy to apologize. As far as the rest of this venom goes, wow, if my frankly fairly innocuous comment here… is enough to get this wad of pissy shit…
    There Is nothing wrong with pointing out when someone isn’t using preferred pronouns but this tone sucks, especially considering this was the OP a few pages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    And nobody has even brought up the fact that she has had difficulties with conceiving due to having endometriosis. Her song Rainbow on the last album is about that and now she is going to have her own
    If someone is doing it on purpose and maliciously, that’s one thing. I don’t believe that’s the case in this thread.

Edit: apologies to Deacon…this reads like it’s directed at you but it’s not. I’m too lazy to correct the quotes on my phone.
    Last edited by cdm; 07-30-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Since Chicago is one of the cities with the IMAX screening, they started putting up these truly beautiful posters around town:

Last edited by hellospaceboy; 07-31-2021 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wouldn't profess to be a Halsey fan (or know anything about her, and until I've head the album and seen whether I like the collaboration as a whole, unlikely to go down that rabbithole) by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm very much enjoying what I've heard so far. All the Reznor characteristics that I love, a great beat, slightly off kilter keyboards, melodies, and most importantly, energy. I'm presuming he's had some input melody wise judging from the latest snippet.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power - new Halsey album produced by Trent and Atticus

all of you should watch her saturday night live episode. she’s hilarious and cute. i liked her instantly when she made a “halsey and oatesy” joke.

that poster rules.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Did anyone get confirmation from Halsey on the pre orders from loveandpower.com? If so who does it come from? I can’t seem to find mine. Hope I didn’t pull a checkout failure.

Edit: They had it and they resent the confirmation. Looking at the new email I really don’t think I received an original. Just FYI if it’s happened to anyone else.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 07-31-2021 at 04:35 PM.