Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power - new Halsey album produced by Trent and Atticus

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I don't know what Trent and Atticus saw in her that made them produce her new record, unless it was the new material.
    Just wondering what'd happen if this becomes successful as TSN did. NIN becoming a pop star producer duo is not something I want, for sure.
    Also looking forward to collecting all those Target exclusive and Japanese editions on vinyl just to hear that one bonus track.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Also looking forward to collecting all those Target exclusive and Japanese editions on vinyl just to hear that one bonus track.
    Don't forget the clean Walmart edition.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    I don't know what Trent and Atticus saw in her that made them produce her new record, unless it was the new material.
    Just wondering what'd happen if this becomes successful as TSN did. NIN becoming a pop star producer duo is not something I want, for sure.
    The National and Bon Iver got an influx of new fans because of their involvement with Taylor Swift on her last 2 albums. Trent and Atticus had to agree to do this, theres no way it was forced upon them. Im sure we'll get all of the insight eventually when theres interviews and everything. In the end, Im sure Trent will say he gives zero fucks about the core (old ) fanbase reacting negatively to this. Cause it really means people are stuck in a timewarp and dont want anything to progress or evolve past 1996 or something. The guy is always looking forward and listening to new music, he isnt stuck in a cave anymore. I recall he said when he picked the openers for LITS that it was just bands he had on his ipod which tells me he is constantly discovering still. Elton John does that with his Rocket Hour show and always praises new and upcoming artists.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Didn’t TR talk about a lot of collaboration in the works during the Watchmen interviews? I’m thinking it wasn’t just about the Mank and Soul scores. I’m down with any which way to get the creative juices going…. Though I’d like at least some itch-scratching, hard TR vocals please.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Lot of overreacting in this thread, lol. They're not going to abandon NIN to become pop producers. How about we wait and see before the doom and gloom sets in, yeah? We have ten total seconds of music so far.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I hope there's a song called Strobe Light on the album.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    As soon as I saw the thread title I thought: Jakalope.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    ...and not someone like Kanye...
    I mean, have you heard how many times Trent has shit on Kanye?

I've heard of Halsey, but have never heard her music. I will probably go into this album cold so I don't have any expectations for it. I've been waiting for Trent & Atticus to produce another album since NiggyTardust, so I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. Speaking of NiggyTardust, the backlash to this doesn't surprise me considering some of the initial reaction to that album. "WHAT?! Trent's producing a RAP RECORD?! What is this world coming to!!!"
    Last edited by BRoswell; 06-28-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looked up who produced her other albums. Each album has near a dozen or more producers. Which begs the questions: Is this 100% TR&AR produced from beginning to end? And, you can’t really judge any of her other albums as to how this one might sound since it will be a different set of producers.

Another thought, Sauls discography did have a touch of what we heard from Niggy Tardust… but TR gave it that signature sound that is like no other.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I am so excited for the Halsey album. I hope Aurora gets on the production boat team list next.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Sure was a bit of a head scratcher when I saw the Instagram post, not familiar with this artist at all. I would've been super thrilled if they collaborated with Poppy, she's one of the more interesting young artists out today. Guess I'll check out some Halsey to get some idea of what she sounds like and keep an ear out for this album when it comes out.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I mean, have you heard how many times Trent has shit on Kanye?

I've heard of Halsey, but have never heard her music. I will probably go into this album cold so I don't have any expectations for it. I've been waiting for Trent & Atticus to produce another album since NiggyTardust, so I'm pretty excited about the possibilities. Speaking of NiggyTardust, the backlash to this doesn't surprise me considering some of the initial reaction to that album. "WHAT?! Trent's producing a RAP RECORD?! What is this world coming to!!!"
    Yah, the pearl clutching panic of NIN fans is amusing. As IFF he's going to completely abandon the artist he's been for the last ~33 years (and AR working with him for the last 16 years). The tizzy of people saying "Oh noes!!! Not POP music!**" is exhausting. After seeing what TR +AR did with Soul? I don't give a flying fig what they do, as long as they keep doing it. I think the last year or so has invigorated the TR+AR machine, and I want to see moar.

**Umm, hello? Pop music? Bowie?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    LOL, really? That's a bit dramatic.
    Maybe they wanted to switch things up and try something new?
    Nah, not dramatic, just not at all what I was expecting or hoping for.
    I'm looking forward to a NIN record and as blunt as that may seem, I hope it will be 100% NIN in its DNA. Controversial but legitimate to think and be scared that they could steer into a different direction.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Not the artists I would have wanted for a collab, but that’s cool. I will go in blind and give it a shot.

Haven’t heard much of her stuff and don’t listen to much pop or rap, but I did like Him and I from a few years ago - thought that had a decent vibe.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    People shocked by this? Early 2000s, there were talks of collaboration with Aaliyah before she died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    all audio snippets we have so far: https://twitter.com/homoarigato/stat...578548233?s=21
    definitely sounds good

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I hope this album has Der Komissar on it.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Now I'm going to either be slightly excited or irritated every time I see something like this on social media..
    June 12.
    Is it Trent's?

Jk..
    Last edited by shade; 06-29-2021 at 02:07 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Listen, this could end up being something in the vein of Poppy's I Disagree, which I would be totally on-board with. She did a 180 from her pop style music to hard rock/metal/industrial sounds.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Aw hell yeah the hot takes I expected!!

Seriously though, I'm not terribly excited for this only because I don't know Halsey and the songs I checked out aren't really my cup. With that said, I will check this out the second any / all of it hits and if I like what I hear I'll be all over it. Glad to see TR+AR get out there beyond the usual walls even if it ends up not for me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    People are big mad and I love it. Idk anything about her really but I’ll def be checking this out. This doesn’t mark the end of NIN. Lol

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I just listened to some of her songs, the production sounds like generic pop, but she has a good voice, I'm really excited about what TR+AR can do with her talent, so bring it on!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Trent (and in some cases Atticus):

Produces a hip-hop album
    Scores a Pixar movie
    Tours with Peaches
    Launches merch to promote collaborations with Marvel and Miley Cyrus
    Composes the theme for a Call of Duty game
    Posts joke photos in cowboy gear when they win a CMA for a popular hip-hop song
    Remixes a P. Diddy / Busta Rhymes / Notorious B.I.G. song
    Guests on an El-P album

But apparently producing an album for a pop artist -- an album we haven't even heard yet -- is going too far.

People are funny.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    Why would they do that?

And even more important: Do I want to give this a quick try now to see what it sounds like? Will it rub off on NIN?
    I'm scared to death.
    My first guess is money? They just won another huge award and are in big-time demand. The record company probably asked them to produce their pop star's next record and allowed them to virtually name their own price. Strike while the iron is red hot..

Or maybe they just really like her music and jumped at an offer to man the boards for her next album. I'm sure it will all be explained in the run-up press for the album..

I've listened to all of her albums/singles/EPs and it's just never done anything for me. The same for St. Vincent, Billie Eilish, LDR, etc. Just too derivative for my taste. Maybe this will be the album that makes me see what all the hype is. I doubt it will have much, if any, bearing on the direction they take with new NIN material. There's always been a pop element to their music even at its most extreme and it's not necessarily a bad thing (barring Everything, perhaps)..

Had they jumped on to produce the next St. Vincent album, I'd be much more intrigued, given her devotion to NIN. I certainly don't think this will be any worse than that Rob Halford album Trent helped produce that time..

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulgaren View Post
    all audio snippets we have so far: https://twitter.com/homoarigato/stat...578548233?s=21
    definitely sounds good
    The first one is cut off some. Clip #1 is about 19.5 seconds, Clip #2 is 17 seconds, and the billboard teaser is 10 seconds (of audio).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I love Halsey and her music. And this makes a lot of weird sense. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Trent (and in some cases Atticus):

Produces a hip-hop album
    Scores a Pixar movie
    Tours with Peaches
    Launches merch to promote collaborations with Marvel and Miley Cyrus
    Composes the theme for a Call of Duty game
    Posts joke photos in cowboy gear when they win a CMA for a popular hip-hop song
    Remixes a P. Diddy / Busta Rhymes / Notorious B.I.G. song
    Guests on an El-P album

But apparently producing an album for a pop artist -- an album we haven't even heard yet -- is going too far.

People are funny.
    And don't forget the whole Apple's Beats Music thing. Wait, people still think Trent is some underground "I'm not part of all that commercial music" artist? Where you've been?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i think its about artistic integrity where popstars are generally regarded as just being commercial products with little to none artistic value

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think this is pretty cool. T&A producing a prominent pop-artist in full, rather than covers or being sampled.

I do wonder if this is what they were working on pre Acadamy Awards, when he indicated NIN stuff would start that following day. (Since the impression was they'd already been working on NIN).

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    After this, I hope Trent & Atticus produce Cardi B's next single "Even More WAP" just to really set everyone off.