Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power - new Halsey album produced by Trent and Atticus

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    ........Surprised it's Halsey and not someone like Kanye or Charli XCX, but excited nonetheless.....
    Kanye's Yeezus seemed very influenced by TR so I can understand if just from a doing something new aspect it didn't pan out. Then there's the fact that one of those guys is loony toons.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I’m here for the Trent fancam in the replies
    I’m not here for the pop snobbiness

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebitrate View Post
    Finishing that little coin flip game linked back to a cryptic Instagram that is now obviously the acronym for the album title. Yesterday’s post was coordinates that I’d assume are for today’s reveal billboard.

https://instagram.com/iichliwp

If you wait a few moments after a successful spin there's a loud thunder and a creepy ass face on your screen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Also in response to the NIN spotting post, NIN have been in the realm of pop not only recently (Black Mirror/Old Town Road) but gosh darn that first album is pretty poppy in places…

I’d say NIN is on the more accessible end of harder music and if there’s any snobbiness around pop from NIN fans I’m sure there are a hundred other industrial/metal fans that would point towards NIN’s pop leanings

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    My only knowledge of her is she did a track with Bring Me the Horizon - which I actually liked....

They produced this one too:

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Release date is speculated to be November 12. There's also this website if anyone wants to have a look:

https://www.lxxxxp.com/
    I’m very excited for this, but bloody hell that is a LONG wait. It’s great to see Trent trending on UK twitter (although pop stan twitter can be incredibly nasty)
    Last edited by WorzelG; 06-28-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Realizing now that Add Violence and Bad Witch were released with Capitol, as is Halsey’s stuff, so I’m wondering if the first connection there was setup through the label. Slightly less left-field if she pitched an album idea that brought TR+AR to mind and then they got scouted.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm out of the loop. Who's Halsey and why is everyone is having a meltdown over this?
    When you produce the album for a prominent pop star its going to generate a lot of takes.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Oh god, the boomers are already losing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Oh god, the boomers are already losing it.

Yeah, how strange it is to a act that always flirted with pop structure in their music to produce a pop artist, right?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Kanye's Yeezus seemed very influenced by TR so I can understand if just from a doing something new aspect it didn't pan out. Then there's the fact that one of those guys is loony toons.
    well it was Daft Punk but lets not go down that hole.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Actually it was influenced by French electro scene like Justice, Daft Punk and Gesaffelstein (last two were even on the record).

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Yeah, how strange it is to a act that always flirted with pop structure in their music to produce a pop artist, right?
    It’s not strange when you consider it’s a female artist. It’s not the only reason they are mad, but make no mistake it’s part of the equation.

Seriously, none of them would have a single bad thing to say about pop releases from Bowie or The Cure.

All of that to say, I don’t even think it’s accurate to categorize Halsey as purely pop anyway. Her sound is pretty varied from what I can tell of my limited knowledge of her music.

I get into the same argument with people every year regarding the RnR Hall of Fame inductions. Folks will start screeching anytime an artist who they perceive as “not rock” ends up getting in.

But what they aren’t considering is that there was a time when “rock n roll” was basically any music that wasn’t gospel or classical music. That’s it, that was the entire definition of rock n roll in its infancy. And that’s the definition the HoF uses. That’s exactly why artists who make country, rap, RnB and even pop get in today. It’s not that hard to understand. All of those genres were influenced by the earliest iterations of rock n roll. And have gone on to influence more traditional rock artists in turn.

Eventually rock came to mean a certain style, but that wasn’t true in the beginning and it’s kind of not true anymore either. Genres have become so varied and flexible at this point in history, that they often aren’t even useful anymore.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    It’s not strange when you consider it’s a female artist. It’s not the only reason they are mad, but make no mistake it’s part of the equation.

Seriously, none of them would have a single bad thing to say about pop releases from Bowie or The Cure.

All of that to say, I don’t even think it’s accurate to categorize Halsey as purely pop anyway. Her sound is pretty varied from what I can tell of my limited knowledge of her music.

I get into the same argument with people every year regarding the RnR Hall of Fame inductions. Folks will start screeching anytime an artist who they perceive as “not rock” ends up getting in.

But what they aren’t considering is that there was a time when “rock n roll” was basically any music that wasn’t gospel or classical music. That’s it, that was the entire definition of rock n roll in its infancy. And that’s the definition the HoF uses. That’s exactly why artists who make country, rap, RnB and even pop get in today. It’s not that hard to understand. All of those genres were influenced by the earliest iterations of rock n roll. And have gone on to influence more traditional rock artists in turn.

Eventually rock came to mean a certain style, but that wasn’t true in the beginning and it’s kind of not true anymore either. Genres have become so varied and flexible at this point in history, that they often aren’t even useful anymore.

I was talking about NIN actually haha. A lot of fans acts like NIN doesn't rely heavily on pop influences because usually it's dark, have guitars and even get "harsh" sometimes (like TDS) as if Trent himself hides the fact how Bowie or Prince were huge influences to his sound.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Here we go

https://twitter.com/multistardust/st...87954545897478

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Super stoked for this -- Always thought she had a sexy voice -- their production will work great I think. Will hold me over until we get a new HTDA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think Halsey did an interview around the time the Miley Cyrus Black Mirror episode came out saying that she wished she had been considered for the role because it was similar to her own life.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Two things:I have no idea who Halsey is, and, without context and hearing the clip on my phone, I thought it was new HTDA.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    I am stupid excited for this!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I loved Halsey's debut album Badlands, one of my favourites of the last few years. For those not familiar with her, this is arguably the breakout:

...that said, I've given Hopeless Fountain Kingdom a couple of listens and did not dig it.

I'm looking forward to this one though, it's an interesting choice for a collab. Is Halsey the first artist for whom TR+AR have produced an album since Saul Williams' Niggy Tardust?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Why would they do that?

And even more important: Do I want to give this a quick try now to see what it sounds like? Will it rub off on NIN?
    I'm scared to death.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Waiting for the eventual collab w Miley Cyrus and Cardi B

dollar dollar bills y'all
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 06-28-2021 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I am so not sure how I feel about this.

I don't really care if they like to play around and experiment with this, I just hope it's not a direction NIN will be steering into.
    Although I have to say there's other artists where a collab/production would have intrigued me more.

I also have a hard time comparing the PHM synth pop elements to the 2010/2020s pop.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Like this one?

https://twitter.com/RlNGFlNGER/statu...50276898533376

*heart eyes*

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    Why would they do that?

And even more important: Do I want to give this a quick try now to see what it sounds like? Will it rub off on NIN?
    I'm scared to death.
    LOL, really? That's a bit dramatic.
    Maybe they wanted to switch things up and try something new?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Maybe her and Trent bonded over mutual dislike of Pitchfork when she tweeted ‘can the basement Pitchfork is run out of just collapse already’ but had to delete because they were run out of the new World Trade Center complex and she was accused of making a 9/11 gag

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think the whole thing of her really being an emo punk kid in jesery is going over everyones head. Now its a matter of when will one of then guest for the other.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I don’t think I’ve heard a single Halsey song but I’ll give this a chance.
    this was the first time I heard her.

Girl can def. sing & was a rock/emo/punk chick growing up fwiw.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What. What?