Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: in the quest for the date of the unknown video record

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

in the quest for the date of the unknown video record

I'm pretty sure we can find the exact date of the unknown vimeo video here :

This is for sure a Hate Tour Show because of Trent Hair and the intro tape.

With the great work of The Bang here is the setlist with banters :

"Intro"
    "Terrible Lie"
    "Sin"
    "Something I Can Never Have"
    "Sanctified"
    "That's What I Get"
    - This is a little song I did with a band called Pigface. . . . Suck
    "Suck"
    "The Only Time"
    . . . awake out there…"Hang around I'll make a cocksucker out of you"…….Here's a nice little song about fucking.
    "Get Down, Make Love"
    - "I want to hear you scream" sample
    "Ringfinger"
    "Down In It"
    "Head Like A Hole"
    These banters are not on any 1990 records before Get Down Make Love.. we can have a look on HIH if you want.

Here is the list of all shows from this leg :

1. August 04, 1990 : Empire Club (Cleveland) - USA -> not the same banters [The Bang]
    2. August 03, 1990 : Metropol (Pittsburgh) - USA
    3. August 01, 1990 : Foufounes Electriques (Montreal) - Canada -> not this kind of stage, no balcony [CAMEO172]
    4. July 31, 1990 : RPM (Toronto) - Canada -> compare with the known video snippets [The Bang]
    5. July 29, 1990 : Silo (Reading) - USA -> can't find any side balcony on video online[CAMEO172]
    6. July 28, 1990 : St. Andrew's Hall (Detroit) - USA -> Side balcony at the venue but it seems different and bigger stage.. [CAMEO172 - confirm by Ryan]
    7. July 27, 1990 : Cabaret Metro (Chicago) - USA -> not the same banters [The Bang]
    8. July 26, 1990 : Bogart's (Cincinnati) - USA -> no side balcony [CAMEO172]
    9. July 25, 1990 : Newport Music Hall (Columbus) - USA -> side balcony but stage seems bigger [CAMEO172]
    10. July 23, 1990 : First Avenue & 7th St Entry (Minneapolis) - USA -> Maybe because of side balcony at the venue [CAMEO172]
    11. July 20, 1990 : Axis Club (Boston) - USA-> not the same Tshirt (can see a skull on the near the end of Something I Can Never Have[CAMEO172]
    12. July 18, 1990 : Pipeline (Newark) - USA -> not the same banters [The Bang]
    13. July 16, 1990 : The Academy (New York City) - USA -> not the same banter[The Bang]
    14. July 14, 1990 : Creese Center Drexel University (Philadelphia) - USA-> not the same banter[The Bang]
    15. July 13, 1990 : City Gardens (Trenton) - USA-> no side balcony according to all Ken Salerno photos [CAMEO172]
    16. July 11, 1990 : 9:30 Club (Washington DC) - USA-> not the same banter[The Bang]
    17. July 10, 1990 : Grog & Tankard (Baltimore) - USA -> very small venue and different stage [CAMEO172]
    18. July 09, 1990 : The Peppermint Beach Club (Virginia Beach) - USA
    19. July 07, 1990 : The Masquerade (Atlanta) - USA
    20. July 06, 1990 : Visage (Orlando) - USA
    21. July 05, 1990 : The Masquerade (Tampa) - USA
    22. July 03, 1990 : Club Nu (Miami Beach) - USA-> not the same banter[The Bang]
    23. July 02, 1990 : Unknown Venue (Jacksonville) - USA
    24. July 01, 1990 : Power Station (Melbourne) - USA -> not the same banter[The Bang]
    25. June 29, 1990 : Unknown Venue (New Orleans) - USA
    26. June 28, 1990 : Numbers (Houston) - USA-> not the same banter[The Bang]
    27. June 27, 1990 : Mirage (Austin) - USA -> compare with the known video snippets when Trent throw the mic during Terrible Lie [CAMEO172]
    28. June 26, 1990 : The Video Bar (Dallas) - USA-> not the same banter[The Bang]
    29. June 24, 1990 : Kinetix (Oklahoma City) - USA
    30. June 23, 1990 : Cain's Ballroom (Tulsa) - USA -> no balcony at the venue[CAMEO172]
    31. June 22, 1990 : The Shadow (Kansas City) - USA
    32. June 21, 1990 : 1227 (Saint-Louis) - USA -> no balcony at the venue[The Bang]
    33. May 31, 1990 : Oz Nightclub (Seattle) - USA -> probably not cause not the same setlist on this part [TheBang]
    34. May 30, 1990 : Luv Affair (Vancouver) - Canada -> probably not cause not the same setlist on this part [TheBang]
    35. May 29, 1990 : Pine Street Theatre (Portland) - USA -> probably not cause not the same setlist on this part [TheBang]
    36. May 26, 1990 : Bacchanal (San Diego) - USA -> probably not cause not the same setlist on this part [TheBang]
    37. May 25, 1990 : Stardust Ballroom (Los Angeles) - USA -> probably not cause not the same setlist on this part [TheBang]
    38. May 23, 1990 : I-Beam (San Francisco) - USA -> not the same banters and setlist [The Bang]
    39. May 22, 1990 : The Edge (Palo Alto) - USA-> not the same banters and setlist [The Bang]

If anyone want to help.. will update this list and we will have a very short list for sure !
    Last edited by CAMEO172; 03-04-2022 at 08:56 PM.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    Nice work. Definitely not St. Andrew's. They've never had a hanging PA and the stage is way too big in this video. You'd be able to see the woodworking that is above the stage.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    This venue might be Club 1227 in St. Louis. I started looking at that because it was the first date of the main leg of the tour, and I thought maybe NIN wanted a record of it.

Anyway, I could only find one poor quality video of 1227 here (starting at the 1:01:25 mark), which is too dark to really help at all:

However, Club 1227 became The Galaxy by the mid 90's. It's unclear if it underwent any renovations, but it seems like it might have been just a name change. In any case, looking at some videos for The Galaxy, it has hanging PA's like our NIN video:

Also, this video prominently features a huge support column:

To me, it looks like that same support column makes an appearance at the 4:00 mark of the NIN part 2 video.

I don't have time right now to do more investigation, but I think it's definitely worth looking into 1227/The Galaxy some more.

Also, I don't think the lattice-work/lighting truss seen on-stage should be taken as part of the venue. In reviewing other videos, like the Video Bar and Empire Club, it looks like that truss was brought by NIN to every venue for some of their lighting and to give them something to attach their swinging ropes to.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    So, it's not 1227. After viewing some more videos, the layout does not match, and I also confirmed with someone that 1227 did not have a balcony.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    On stage, it seems there is kind of a white star on the ground. I can clearly see it at about 18min55s video Part 2 on the right bottom. Is it from NIN or from the venue ?

It can help maybe.

I remove club 1227 from the list, thank @TheBang

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post
    On stage, it seems there is kind of a white star on the ground. I can clearly see it at about 18min55s video Part 2 on the right bottom. Is it from NIN or from the venue ?
    Nice spotting. There's a little more detail visible at about 19:11.

If I had to guess, I would say it's probably part of the venue. If it were there because of NIN, then it would be a mat or something laid down on the ground, and that would be a tripping hazard up on stage.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    It's the Metropol in Pittsburgh. Check the floor in the Pigface w/ TR footage:

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Check the floor in the Pigface w/ TR footage:
    Oh dang, it is. Holy cow. And you used my own uploaded video to do it too, lol.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    That Pigface clip always looks so anachronistic without the context. 1991 Trent with 2013 Trent's hair

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    It's the Metropol in Pittsburgh. Check the floor in the Pigface w/ TR footage:
    this video also proofed there is side balcony at the Metropol !

What a great clue !!!

This is the end of this mystery !

thanks to all of you. it's such a great finding

I gonna add it on HiH !
    I gonna also add one new date, unsure on the date but sure on the reality it had been played

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    And just to add further corroboration, now that I know what to look for, I found several additional videos of bands at Metropol that confirm the presence of that star on the stage floor.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    And just to add further corroboration, now that I know what to look for, I found several additional videos of bands at Metropol that confirm the presence of that star on the stage floor.
    and have you seen the hanging speakers too ? just for the complete check !

It's so great we can add clearly a new record to an accurate date !

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    and have you seen the hanging speakers too ? just for the complete check !
    Yup, this one was filmed from almost the same angle as the NIN video:

You can see the hanging PA at 1:02:21

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    And you used my own uploaded video to do it too, lol.
    I know, LOL. It's also funny that it's another piece of footage involving TR.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It's really make me wonder if the live pictures by Tom Mancini are at the December 27 1990 Metropol..
    The stage seems really smaller, without star on the floor and the ceiling is low.. fucK..

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    It's really make me wonder if the live pictures by Tom Mancini are at the December 27 1990 Metropol..
    The stage seems really smaller, without star on the floor and the ceiling is low.. fucK..
    I think it's still the same venue. In the 4th photo, you can still see that black square that the star would be in. The reason the stage seems smaller is because of the cage-like structure that NIN used around the drums on that tour.