Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favourite NIN song title

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Favourite NIN song title

I can’t recall if we ever did a thread like this before.

I find with NIN, more so than many other bands, that the titles of the songs themselves can evoke emotions that add to the song. Or perhaps even only the title itself evokes something in you and the rest doesn’t have much of an impact.

In any case, which one (or ones) do it you for you?

For me it’s always been The Way Out Is Through and Adrift And At Peace.

And yes, in before “Fist Fuck”.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    The Eater of Dreams. I like a lot of titles, but none beats that one for me. It has a depth of meaning for the album itself as a reflection on his past and perhaps things that didn't work out because of his self-destructive tendencies. It is original, as far as I know. It is very visual, and yet mysterious enough to keep you wondering about what such a thing might look like. It evokes horror and wonder. It's just a lot packed into one simple phrase.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    "Leaving Hope" comes to mind right off the bat. I even thought it was a great name long before the song came out, back when TR used it as his music publishing entity name.
    "Zero-Sum" and "Demon Seed" are two of my other favorites. I also love names like "No, You Don't" and "Not Anymore," which just sound like NIN song titles. I'd also second "The Eater of Dreams." Even the more simple titles like "The Wretched" or "The Becoming" are great and use words that are just uncommon enough that there aren't already several other songs from other bands using the same name.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    The fact that we still don’t know exactly what is being said in TEOD makes it even more interesting.

Ain’t goin’ back?
    It goes black?

…Check out my rack?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I’m Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally

What a heartbreakingly good title

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Always had a soft spot for "A Violet Fluid", what the hell even... is that?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    what the hell even... is that?
    Daddy chill

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    "On The List (she's not)"

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Daddy chill

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    "On The List (she's not)"
    If we're going there, then my vote is for Clap Trap Crack Slap.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Sticking to titles, "Happiness in Slavery", "Love Is Not Enough", "Another Crashed Car".
    "The Downward Spiral", in so many other ways than the metaphorical meaning; with my professional background, I will always get DNA helix vibes from this one - how fucked everything is, even when stripped right down into every molecule and atom of the human body. Definitely a favorite title for the former long, depressing nights in the lab. Sometimes they were quite the downward spiral.

The beauty of song titles, and lyrics.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    "and all that could have been"

not just because it's my favorite song, but something about the title is so striking and creates a visceral reaction in my chest every time i read it/hear it spoken aloud

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    As a title, The Way Out is Through is depressing yet inspirational. It offers hope for something better, but tells you that you're gonna have to suffer through some shit at the same time.
    Last edited by Jazzkokehead; 06-06-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Letting Go While Holding On, it definitely strikes something in me, makes think of all the things that I need to let go but that for some reason I still cling to.
    Last edited by Thor; 06-07-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    As a title, The Way Out is Through is depressing yet inspirational. It offers hope for something better, but tells you that you're gonna have to suffer through some shit at the same time.
    That’s why it’s always resonated with me. Getting through the tough times, then, as I mentioned, being physically and emotionally/spiritually/mentally “Adrift And At Peace”.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Always had a soft spot for "A Violet Fluid", what the hell even... is that?
    That title and the song itself with that drum loop and odd background noises always reminds me of a crazy scientist’s lab with old fashioned vials filled with purple liquid, with pigs in the background (since it’s from the MOTP single). It also reminds me of this level of Earthworm Jim for some reason (Level 5):

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    "and all that could have been"

not just because it's my favorite song, but something about the title is so striking and creates a visceral reaction in my chest every time i read it/hear it spoken aloud
    Same here... I won't forget listening to it on a rainy afternoon in Mytilene (in 2008, I think). Plus, there are rain sound effects in the song itself, so it was perfect.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    For me a tie between Somewhat Damaged and The Day The World Went Away.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I’ll also add Ripe (With Decay).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Turn This Off Please

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    I’m Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally

What a heartbreakingly good title
    This was the first that came to mind for me.

I also love a lot of the score track titles. Things like "Hand Covers Bruise," "The Gentle Hum Of Anxiety," and "Soft Trees Break The Fall" evoke such gorgeous imagery to accompany an instrumental track. It reminds me of seeing an abstract painting in a museum and feeling one thing about it, but then when you look at the title of the piece, looking at the painting again and having a whole new set of feelings.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The Big Come Down

Something i Can Never Have

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    My wakeup alarm

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Just re-glossing over this thread and, my word, how does Trent come up with such imaginative and evocative song titles? I mean that as a big compliment as opposed to so many other artists out there that, in general terms, tend stick to generic or overused song titles. Since the beginning there has always been so many interesting and thought provoking NIN titles. We are a lucky bunch.

The Mark Has Been Made is another one I’ll throw in. Interestingly every one I have mentioned so far has been from The Fragile era.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    27 Ghosts III

...just kidding. But seriously, the following are some more of my favorite titles from their score work and NIN (in addition to those I already mentioned above):

Pieces Form the Whole
    The Gentle Hum of Anxiety
    A Pause for Reflection
    A Viable Construct
    Hidden in Snow / Revealed in the Thaw
    Justified Response
    Strangers in Lockstep
    Incomplete Resolution
    Trust Fades
    Clouds Gather
    The Persistence of Loss
    Another Version of the Truth
    Various Methods of Escape
    Was it Worth it?
    Ripe (With Decay)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    "The Day the World Went Away", it doesn't "roll off the tongue", but i like it a lot!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    My wakeup alarm
    Suffering through shit for a wake up alarm seems appropriate, but that also gives me ideas for another discussion: situations in which you really don't want to listen to NIN.

I stopped using favorite artists for an alarm sound ... for obvious reasons.

I think it's hard to just detach from everything and go for titles only when you know the songs and what they stir up. That's why I'm also heavily leaning towards The Fragile.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shade View Post
    Suffering through shit for a wake up alarm seems appropriate, but that also gives me ideas for another discussion: situations in which you really don't want to listen to NIN.

I stopped using favorite artists for an alarm sound ... for obvious reasons.

I think it's hard to just detach from everything and go for titles only when you know the songs and what they stir up. That's why I'm also heavily leaning towards The Fragile.
    (No joke) this was my alarm for a long time for obvious reasons, haha.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    "The Day the World Went Away", it doesn't "roll off the tongue", but i like it a lot!
    And TR was even thoughtful/subtle enough to leave out “whole” from the title so as not to make it too much of an abbreviation/mouthful.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    And TR was even thoughtful/subtle enough to leave out “whole” from the title so as not to make it too much of an abbreviation/mouthful.
    Oh yeah, i always found that funny, it's like he's correcting his own grammar during the song.