Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Are you Sure La mer had been played in 2006 ?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Are you Sure La mer had been played in 2006 ?

Hello,

i'm working on the 2006 summer tour and I have a tiny doubt.

On all shows (31 times) we used to say that we have La Mer -> Into The Void, in the middle of the set.
    When you listen to Into The Void on album, this is the same theme in the beginning than La Mer but not on piano.

in 2006, La Mer is more or less 3min 30s and nearly the same for Into The Void (more or less 3min).
    I know two official setlists from this tour. both of them only have Into The Void on, no La Mer indicated.

La mer used to be about 5min30s lenght on other tour.
    Into the Void used to be about 5min lenght on other tour.

Do you think we have to merge both songs in 2006 and only keep Into The Void, cause the second part is clearly this song ! It would be a 6min30s song, a little longer than after

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Counterpoint: they played exactly the same medley of La Mer + Into the Void in 2007 and both songs appeared on the printed setlists (Tilburg, Munich). Of course it should be 2 songs.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Yes, I was at one of those shows. It starts with Trent solo on piano playing La Mer, and then, because they share a melodic line, at that point, they transition it into the full band playing Into the Void. So, the duration of the performance is not going to be the full duration of both songs added together, because it's a blend.

You can't call the first part Into the Void, because it has the piano part and the string plucking which mimic the parts heard in the album version of La Mer and are not part of Into the Void. You could list it as:

La Mer/Into the Void

or

La Mer
    Into the Void

I usually do the latter, since there's a clear delineation point to separate the tracks when the drums come in.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Great discussion..

but to you think 3 min of La Mer is still La mer, without the drum part ?

Can't it be : Into the Void - 6m30 - (part of La mer on piano included)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Counterpoint: they played exactly the same medley of La Mer + Into the Void in 2007 and both songs appeared on the printed setlists (Tilburg, Munich). Of course it should be 2 songs.
    but we can't listen these two songs live to be sure this is this kind of medley.. or I miss a record ...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post
    but we can't listen these two songs live to be sure this is this kind of medley.. or I miss a record ...
    I don't get it. Can't you just listen to the bootlegs from these two tours and compare for yourself?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I don't get it. Can't you just listen to the bootlegs from these two tours and compare for yourself?
    sorry i miss it was played on some other 2007 european dates.. It seems to be the same than in 2006..

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Yes, and it was not just on piano. Aaron played the main melody on guitar, and Alessandro played the final notes on his Analogue Systems French Connection ribbon controller. Definitely a whole performance of the song, just an abbreviated arrangement with no drums or bass.
    Last edited by botley; 05-31-2021 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Let me throw a spanner in the works:

La Mer / Into The Void (Version) (Live)

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Let me throw a spanner in the works:

La Mer / Into The Void (Version) (Live)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    hehehehe

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I upgrade the song stats page on HIH, more visual now with this question on song lenght : https://happinessinheresy.com/stats-by-song/?id_song=43