Thread: The Transgender Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    I don't understand, are gay people not already protected against that over there???
    Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 bars employment discrimination based on race, religion, national origin and sex. But “sex” did not include sexual orientation or gender identity.

HOWEVER, it should be noted that many protections under Title VII - particularly sex or gender - are often hollow and do not totally protect employees; for THAT, we need the passage of the Equality Act, H.R. 5:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...se-bill/5/text

So, if someone doesn't want to hire someone because they're gay they can just not hire them?
    Well, yes ... or black, or a woman, or of a certain ethnic group, etc. Which happens ALL the time. It’s REALLY hard to get treated fairly, here. Employers break these laws all the time, which is why the courts are constantly busy with employment lawsuits. But, the system has to at least have legislative protections in place to support those court cases.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-15-2020 at 05:37 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    It’s REALLY hard to get treated fairly, here. Employers break these laws all the time
    That's what I was getting at. So there are laws? It's just no one really gives a shit that they exist?

Sorry, I am being completely ignorant. The whole thing just strikes me as weird

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    That's what I was getting at. So there are laws? It's just no one really gives a shit that they exist?

Sorry, I am being completely ignorant. The whole thing just strikes me as weird
    There is ONE Federal law, yes, from 1964. But it’s vague, so it’s open to interpretation.

And of course laws are broken ALL the time. Employment laws aren’t criminal laws; employers don’t get arrested for violating these laws, they just get sued. And the employers often have much deeper pockets than employees. Labor unions help, but those have also been neutered by recent court decisions.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    There is ONE Federal law, yes, from 1964. But it’s vague, so it’s open to interpretation.

And of course laws are broken ALL the time. Employment laws aren’t criminal laws; employers don’t get arrested for violating these laws, they just get sued. And the employers often have much deeper pockets than employees. Labor unions help, but those have also been neutered by recent court decisions.

Ah now I see. That's...well, it's not great