Yes!! I love JK Simmons!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Yes!! I love JK Simmons!

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Holy shit. Ellen Page* has come out as trans.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/e...my-1234843023/

*=I don't want to ever use someone's dead name but I didn't know how else to word it. The headline doesn't use his old name, which is great, but it confused me for a solid 30 seconds trying to figure out who they were talking about.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

May as well just add the tweet.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Holy shit. Ellen Page* has come out as trans.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/e...my-1234843023/

*=I don't want to ever use someone's dead name but I didn't know how else to word it. The headline doesn't use his old name, which is great, but it confused me for a solid 30 seconds trying to figure out who they were talking about.
    Is there anything with saying Elliot Page (formerly known as Ellen Page) for a little while so that people who are just hearing the news know who you're talking about?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    Is there anything with saying Elliot Page (formerly known as Ellen Page) for a little while so that people who are just hearing the news know who you're talking about?
    It's generally frowned upon to use someone's dead name, but it's often the simplest way to clarify who you're talking about. I just used his dead name to quickly tell my girlfriend the news but with the intention not to ever use it again if I can help it.

There are also usually a ton of other ways to clarify who you're talking about. "The actor who played Juno in Juno" is a pretty quick and simple way in this case.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Related to the dead naming, especially for a public figure that actually had me wondering what happens with the past accreditation either by society or by the individual.

Is it a complete dissociation, was that a different person altogether?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    It's generally frowned upon to use someone's dead name, but it's often the simplest way to clarify who you're talking about. I just used his dead name to quickly tell my girlfriend the news but with the intention not to ever use it again if I can help it.

That's exactly how I told my roommate.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Related to the dead naming, especially for a public figure that actually had me wondering what happens with the past accreditation either by society or by the individual.

Is it a complete dissociation, was that a different person altogether?
    It depends on the person, but generally no; they are who they've always been. Whether they've felt they were a different gender all along or whether it's a recent revelation, their past still makes them who they are. I'm sure they'd love if movie credits and articles could all magically be updated to their current name, but knowing how unreasonable that is, it's accepted that referencing/showing something from their past will come with that version of themselves.

There's a trans woman in the High Score documentary who presented as male when she won a video game contest as a kid. The doc includes photos of her at that age including some with her dead name in print, but when she talks about hearing her name announced as the winner of the contest, she only uses her last name.

I think that's what you'll find more often than not: an expectation for people to only be identified as they identify but with the understanding that that becomes near impossible when sharing footage/photos/etc. from their past. And again, that varies from person to person. If someone decides they don't want their pre-transition self to be referenced or shown, then that should be respected.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    In this case he's in an in-progress television show so that's a potential challenge.

that said, the first season romance was with a guy and the second season romance was not so it's not like that's not a hurdle that hasn't already been at least partially jumped.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    In this case he's in an in-progress television show so that's a potential challenge.

that said, the first season romance was with a guy and the second season romance was not so it's not like that's not a hurdle that hasn't already been at least partially jumped.
    Sure, but it's nothing new for showrunners to have to write around deaths, pregnancies, injuries, etc. I don't watch the show, but is there any reason the character couldn't transition between seasons?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    none. it's even got time travel so a potential paradox timey-wimey-wibbly-wobbly thing could catch up with them.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    UPDATE: Elliot will continue to play a female character on The Umbrella Academy, which I think is a cool choice.

Trans actors can and do play both trans and cisgender characters. I’m sure Elliot will continue to be brilliant in Umbrella Academy and many different types of roles in the future. - Nick Adams, director of transgender media at GLAAD

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Expected... But the comments under his main posts are nothing short of degrading, insulting, and down right wrong. People feel the need to point out that Elliot will always be classified as a woman based on the science and IS a woman. It pains me to think that others cannot just accept the fact that people are different from one another and have the right to choose which pronouns or sex they prefer, or feel they are a part of.

It is sad that we live in an era where people are more comfortable with coming out with who they really are, but at the same time, also feeling that dread of amplified ignorance and pitchforks. Thankfully, he has tons of support.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Expected... But the comments under his main posts are nothing short of degrading, insulting, and down right wrong. People feel the need to point out that Elliot will always be classified as a woman based on the science and IS a woman. It pains me to think that others cannot just accept the fact that people are different from one another and have the right to choose which pronouns or sex they prefer, or feel they are a part of.

It is sad that we live in an era where people are more comfortable with coming out with who they really are, but at the same time, also feeling that dread of amplified ignorance and pitchforks. Thankfully, he has tons of support.
    If they think that science says Elliot is a woman, they're probably wrong:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/r...u-should-know/

EDIT: To clarify, I don't know Elliot, so I can't say 100% for sure, but science does show that transgendered individuals brains are different from cisgendered individuals. And nobody's going to know that better than the person themselves. People are whatever they say they are.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    If they think that science says Elliot is a woman, they're probably wrong:

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/r...u-should-know/

EDIT: To clarify, I don't know Elliot, so I can't say 100% for sure, but science does show that transgendered individuals brains are different from cisgendered individuals. And nobody's going to know that better than the person themselves. People are whatever they say they are.
    Thanks for sharing that. I have been taking my time to learn and understand how to approach this topic and the people that are part of it. I have read some other articles about how the brain works within the transgender community and it is remarkable to me.

It bends my brain that this affects so many peoples lives that have nothing to do with it. Growing up with a decent amount of gay friends really gives you some perspective. The nasty things that were constantly said to them for no reason was terrible and it just seems worse now.

“Research in these areas is extremely limited, and more research needs to be done to find conclusive results,” Dr. Altinay notes. “But we’re already seeing definite trends.”

Stinks to hear that the research is extremely limited though.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    But the comments under his main posts are nothing short of degrading, insulting, and down right wrong.
    Indeed. I'm amazed at how often politics breaks down to one side who believes they get to decide what people can do with their bodies, who they can marry, how they can self-identify, and so on... and one side who just wants to chill and let people be themselves.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've posted before about this song but it's moved me several times this year because of the message behind it.

Now online they discuss
    Whether I exist
    And in the court they decide
    Who I can kiss

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    warms my heart to see a bunch of all y'all speaking so positively about this news. glad there are so many cis dudes on this board who are good people <3

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    glad there are so many cis dudes on this board who are good people <3
    Yeah, we're awesome

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I look at a lot of floor plans as part of my job, and these are always commercial/ public buildings. Today I looked at a new store, and instead of the Men's and Women's designation, there are two restrooms, and they are both annotated "Gender Neutral."

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i know it wasn't intentional, but my mom just got upset with me on the phone (about CHEESE of all things) and then dead-named me before hanging up the phone. it really hurt.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that sucks, hopefully it'll blow over by way of apology or something?

also "blow over" isn't code for "goes back to normal" but for actual moving forward.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

realized i haven't posted a picture of myself on here in forever. took this on my birthday at the beginning of the month, so that's 7 months & 1 week on HRT

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe You look amazing! Happy belated, by the way.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    @eversonpoe You look amazing! Happy belated, by the way.

maybe some day i'll have the motivation to actually do my eyebrows and put on some makeup haha

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    @MrLobster i am in love with her

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I keep having to remind myself that nothing could have "tricked" me into depicting myself as a girl & disliking having a penis, I didn't have to know I was a girl since I was 4 to be trans (doesn't help that I was very obsessed with being "normal" in every way as a kid and probably stopped myself from even considering it), and I have to offer myself the same level of basic respect I offer other people. If anyone said to me half the things I said to myself, they'd be slapped for harassing an autistic trans girl - sometimes I have to look around and realize I have enough internalized hatred that I'm probably more transphobic and ableist than most respectable cis neurotypical people. Even my "vaccine-skeptic" mother is supportive of me (& understood pretty quickly I'm not a transvestite and am not even particularly interested in dresses) since she's done her reading on Aspergers, though she wants me to have gender counseling before I explicitly label myself. I'm really glad this thread exists, and I'm glad I didn't wait too long after puberty (comparatively speaking) to consider whether I'm trans.

Though if anything here sounds like a red flag, or if I really am just a dumb confused kid, I'd really rather be told sooner rather than later. Now I need to stop waiting for 10 more minutes before deciding whether or not to send this.