Thread: The Transgender Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Have any transmen who have been on HRT felt random very light menstrual-like cramps? Sometimes I get the slightest cramp, and it weirds me out, because (according to my period tracker app) it's been over 100 days since my last period. My doctor said my T levels are "average" so I'm really confused.
    I can't give you any personal insight, but have you ever had ovarian cysts or been checked for them? Apparently developing PCOS is a risk of long-term HRT... But if you already had an underlying case of PCOS, perhaps HRT could have aggravated it? Just a thought.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I can't give you any personal insight, but have you ever had ovarian cysts or been checked for them? Apparently developing PCOS is a risk of long-term HRT... But if you already had an underlying case of PCOS, perhaps HRT could have aggravated it? Just a thought.
    I don't think I have ever had them, but I haven't been (and can't really be) checked because I have vulvodynia, so I can't handle any kind of pelvic exam.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Kevin and Bean, the morning show on Kroq in L.A., had a call-in topic about a week ago asking for transgendered people to call in and talk about what it's like. I'm just getting around to listening now. So far so good, and I think it's awesome that they broached the topic, so far haven't made fun and are really giving a lot of exposure to something that a lot of people don't understand.

That being said, you can tell that they're not experts here. Bean actually said, "We want to talk to people who are transgender or people who are in the process of becoming transgender." Um...what. I didn't know you could 'become transgender.'

I know it was an honest mistake. It made me kind of chuckle.

Edit: Oh, God. "They shave down your Adam's apple to make your voice change." What.

Edit #2: The last call they took was from a woman who's ex transitioned from male to female, and I was a little apprehensive when the call started, but by about 30 seconds in it became clear that she was totally supportive of her ex and, even though their marriage dissolved, at least partly because of this, she just wanted her to be happy. And I have to tell you, after listening to the beginning of the segment, when they read really disgusting, horrible comments people were making in the wake of the Tom Gabel story (all the usual "your chromosomes don't change, so you'll never be a real man/woman, you have a mental illness, etc.), to have the segment come around and end with someone so supportive and understanding was outstanding. I did not expect to cry while listening to Kevin and Bean, but damned if I didn't do just that.
    Last edited by theruiner; 05-21-2012 at 06:37 AM.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    The full Rolling Stone story of the Against Me! singer is now online.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    Very interesting article. Thanks for posting. I never read Rolling Stone anymore.

I gotta say, her wife doesn't seem to get it. How could she not know her new middle name?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    The part of the article where she finally came out to her band, and they kind of freaked out and were saying they had to start working out so they could better protect her, was really touching and totally hilarious at the same time.

I'm still struggling to completely come to grips with my simple attraction to trans women. Not the attraction itself, but being open about it with others. I haven't told anyone in my (Mormon) family, and I'm not even sure why I should, especially after just spending the last three weeks with them. Part of me says it's not any of their business and there's simply no need, and another part will never be satisfied with silence. Many of my friends don't know either.

Anyone in here have experience with this one?