Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Incubus

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    New tour coming - though I hesitate to call it that due to the brevity - and a Taylor Swift of Morning View.

Incubus Revisit Their Past With ‘Morning View XXIII’ — and the Future Looks Bright

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    New tour coming - though I hesitate to call it that due to the brevity - and a Taylor Swift of Morning View.

Incubus Revisit Their Past With ‘Morning View XXIII’ — and the Future Looks Bright
    And Ben Kenney is officially out from the band. Nicole Row is now the new bass player. Kinda bummed out by Ben's decision (he is healed, by the way) but I can imagine such a medical condition can lead you to re-evaluate your whole life. At least, from the sounds of that interview, it seems like it was an amicable split. Haven't seen any live clip of Incubus playing with Nicole but I've heard only good things about her, looking forward to seeing her with the band come September (got tickets for their San Francisco show).

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I love that they re-recorded Morning View. Thrice really pulled it off with The Artist in the Ambulance, so this is something to look forward to.

Haven't seen them live in years.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The Coheed support is so cool, really hoping they bring that to the UK, would be hard to resist going.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Preorders are live and the refreshed Echo is out. Sounds...fine. This is a great album but I'm not sure about the need to re-record it. Will reserve judgement for now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I love that album for being the soundtrack during a pivotal time in my young life, but re-recording it feels too much like a middle aged person putting their high school football uniform on or something... "hey, it's still fits ok. ouch my back."

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    The song has more room to breathe, and has a tad more intimacy in the vocals; I love it. Cannot wait to hear what they did with Mexico, Are You In?, Circles, and Aqueous Transmission.

The band literally explains why they wanted to re-record. Leave your expectations at the door, and you may enjoy it just a little more.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    The song has more room to breathe, and has a tad more intimacy in the vocals; I love it. Cannot wait to hear what they did with Mexico, Are You In?, Circles, and Aqueous Transmission.

The band literally explains why they wanted to re-record. Leave your expectations at the door, and you may enjoy it just a little more.
    This band always managed to address and interpret their most questionable creative decisions in a way that made them come off earnest and heartfelt. I will give them that

Being an Incubus fan since the late 90s has been a perplexing journey, but I am looking forward to checking this thing out with an open mind.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I guess it's better said "...I'm not sure if I need a re-recording of it." But I could be wrong. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    This band always managed to address and interpret their most questionable creative decisions in a way that made them come off earnest and heartfelt. I will give them that

Being an Incubus fan since the late 90s has been a perplexing journey, but I am looking forward to checking this thing out with an open mind.
    I, for one (and I may be literally the only one), really like both If Not Now, When? and 8.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Perplexing at best .

I really thought they found a nice sound with Trust Fall Side A, I don't think the songs on there get the attention they deserve. I guess it brings me back to a good time in my life when this album came out, and it is lovely to hear that a lot of other fans share the same sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by cdm
    I guess it's better said "...I'm not sure if I need a re-recording of it." But I could be wrong. We shall see.
    All good. I said the same exact thing when Thrice released their re-recording of Artist in the Ambulance, and upon first listen or two, I just found it "OK". Then I dived in with headphones, and I actually like a handful of the re-recordings, more than the originals.

Interesting that you like 8. I adore If Not Now, When? and holds some of their best tracks. 8 I recently listened to, from front to back again, and I cannot get into it no matter how hard I try lol.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post

I, for one (and I may be literally the only one), really like both If Not Now, When? and 8.
    I've said it before but If Not Now, When? was released at a very volatile time in my life and it just fit the general theme of everything and gave me a rock to hold on to.

I agree that the band has been a wild one to follow, especially given the swing from S.C.I.E.N.C.E. to now, but I've liked most of the stuff. Trust Fall A/B was probably the first band-released thing where I actually had disinterest in some of the songs.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    HOLY SHIT.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    HOLY SHIT.

Yeah, that was cool.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    HIGHLY recommend Night Verses for those that have never listened to them. For fans of Russian Circles, Animals As Leaders. Glad this new single will be bringing them some wider recognition.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    *Listens*
    *Really likes*
    *Goes to find more info*

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    HIGHLY recommend Night Verses for those that have never listened to them. For fans of Russian Circles, Animals As Leaders. Glad this new single will be bringing them some wider recognition.
    Vouch!!! Been listening to them since they began, and saw them live, twice! Was able to meet them all, and get a guitar pick.

Funny little tidbit, Tilian Pearson was planned to be the original vocalist of the band, and there are a few demos out there with him on it... Let's just say they made the correct choice choosing Douglas Robinson.

For new listeners, start with their EP, and listen to each album as it was released.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 02-18-2024 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Kinda cool, but I am still not on board with this whole thing lol.
    I miss the open room sound on the drums from the original recording. This suffers from a little too much compression.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Kinda cool, but I am still not on board with this whole thing lol.
    I miss the open room sound on the drums from the original recording. This suffers from a little too much compression.

Agreed. While Echo sounded a bit for free, this sounds the complete opposite. I still dig it, but I enjoyed Echo much more.

Crazy how good Brandon's voice sounds to this day. Aged like fine wine.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Love the music on this, a lot... but the vocals are definitely not as good as the rest, so far.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've listened to these and I prefer the original album. Am I in the minority? I guess it's a cool live album but the original is hard to beat.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    I've listened to these and I prefer the original album. Am I in the minority? I guess it's a cool live album but the original is hard to beat.
    I don't think you are in the minority, so far it sounds completely unnecessary and underwhelming,

I'm going to wait till it's fully released, but so far i'm not digging it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I really liked Echo, but every release since then has been a mixed bag. Thrice's attempt was pretty fantastic.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Finally it's out,

Wish i could un-hear that versión of "Are You In?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I wrote a little review on my Musicboard I thought I'd share:

Firstly, the original album is one of my favourites. It might not be an all time greatest in the zeitgeist, but to me personally it was a gateway into a new alternative musical world.

Will this re recording be my new “go to” instead of the original? No, it won’t be. The original is grooved so hard into my head - like the scratches on my sister’s cd - that I could never replace it with something else. That being said, hearing these songs in a new light with a new focus and a different timbre highlights just how good the original is.

There are some strange new breaks and different rhythms on this re record that feel oddly like they’re trying to break away from the nu metal undertone of the original, yet tracks like ‘Have You Ever’ sound more like that than ever. The power of the lyrics in tracks like ‘Blood On The Ground’ remain, whilst the ambiences are improved upon in Circles or Are You In?

Whilst the obvious comparison to make is the Taylor Swift re records, those are almost always note perfect. What Incubus do on this record is change things up to show their experience, their musical growth and in some places, yes, their age - but that’s inevitable after 23 years!

It definitely is an experience in nostalgia, rather than taking a record that needed improving upon and giving it to a new audience. Morning View (2001) was limited by its invention, with what must have been an intense month (broken up by surf breaks) of creating and laying down an album. Morning View 2024 was a process in which an album already existed in full and had to be recreated, refined and rearranged in some places to give something familiar to old and new audiences alike.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I actually really like a lot of the new passages. I think Mike's guitar tone sounds great on it. Brandon's voice also sounds really good. I guess I didn't realize how well he's treated his voice all these years. A few of the tracks aren't different enough to really matter (WYWH, lookin right at you) but a few of them add enough to make a decent handful of tracks interesting. Obviously the original album will always be preferred, but I don't see any reason to be upset at this album's existence.
    Last edited by richardp; 05-13-2024 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    How is Aqueous Transmission? I have yet to listen to the entire record.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It's a tad bit shorter, but they swapped out the (I'm assuming) keyboard Pipa and actually has Mike playing it for real. I prefer the original still, but it's nice hearing Mike play that part now.

My biggest take away from this re-recorded version is that Incubus diving back into that sound will hopefully help the band get back to writing quality songs instead of the ultra-phoned-in-goin-for-that-paycheck sound they've had on their last few releases.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    During the whole song i was thinking: "I wish i was listening to the original..."

I get Brandon wants to show he still can sing and some of the new arrangements aren't necessarily better or worse, just different, but the original album was perfect, why record this on the studio?

This could have been easily a live recording and it would make a lot more sense, if it ain't broke …don't "fix" it

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    It's a tad bit shorter, but they swapped out the (I'm assuming) keyboard Pipa and actually has Mike playing it for real. I prefer the original still, but it's nice hearing Mike play that part now.
    I think the Pipa was always real (it was a gift from Steve Vai to Mike) but they probably had it properly recorded this time, rather than some guesswork

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    My biggest take away from this re-recorded version is that Incubus diving back into that sound will hopefully help the band get back to writing quality songs instead of the ultra-phoned-in-goin-for-that-paycheck sound they've had on their last few releases.
    Same. I haven’t really liked an Incubus album since A Crow Left of the Murder (though Light Grenades has its moments). Maybe this will spark something. I’d love for them get back to making heavier, weird, spacey shit.

As for this album, I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought I would. The production is pretty good and I dig some of the varied arrangements/embellishments (“Circles” comes to mind). I was also surprised with how much I liked the new version of “Blood on the Ground.”