Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Incubus

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I tried listening to 8 yesterday. That record is so terrible sounding. I blame Skrillex. The original version of Nimble Bastard that was released as a lyric video sounds pretty rocking but then the audio in the official video and the on the record has the guitars turned way down and the kick and snare compressed and boosted through the stratosphere.

The entire record (with the exception of the real soft songs) sounds like this and it is nearly un-listenable. It makes the mix and master on Californication sound artful. I wish that the original Dave Sardy mixes were leaked because there is a border line good record in there somewhere.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Yeah, Trust Fall EP had a great sound, and agree with In the Company of Wolves. The comparison of this new song with Jimmy Eats World hurts!
    Hahaa, yea that was my first reaction when I heard it. I happen to like Jimmy, even though their latest album fell super flat for me. Just went back to A Crow Left of the Murder and forgot how fun that album was; Talk Shows On Mute is so good.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Since you mentioned TSOM - is there something to the Cocaine thing I've seen about that song? "Come One Come All Into Nineteen Eighty-four"

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Same experience here, I saw them a local rock festival, in 2017, and it was bland. Not bad, just average. They were touring behind '8' and that's the first album of them that I didn't completely enjoy. It's sad to see them go this way, they were once one of my favorite bands, even If Not Now, When? was great for me (as @allegate mentioned, it came out during a transition period of my life so it resonated with me big time). But yes, these last two singles and '8' didn't do much for me.
    I fell off after A Crow Left of the Murder... I know people had issues with that album, but I consider it their last good effort. "Pistola", "Priceless", "Leech", and "Sick Sad Little World" are some of my favorites by them, period.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I've been a die hard for years, even got a couple of ACLOTM tattoos as it was the record that made me pick up a guitar. The problem lies a little bit around that era, for myself and quite a number of other fans too as it was when they kinda cut loose, they all upped their instrumental game and made some great stuff in those years, that record is killer, Sick Sad Little World is an all time favourite of mine and then they followed up with some great b-sides and stuff like The Odyssey for Halo 2. To hear them tap into this incredible progressive vein with that stuff, and with the live shows around the time really hinted at incredible things to come, Light Grenades came and was pretty good and the Look Alive bonus CD was another hint at some really cool instrumental stuff, but then they released INN,W and ever since then they've just slid into the kind of thing they churn out now with the exceptional good track (Trust Fall).

Mike even admitted in an interview a few years back that anyone expecting them to follow that route they had around the Crow era is just kidding themselves, and they'd choose playing out stuff like Love Hurts to packed out audiences anyday - or something along those lines. They'll always be my favourite band that have been with me for 20 years of my life, but they are a different band than they were.
    Last edited by Jord; 02-13-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jord View Post
    Mike even admitted in an interview a few years back that anyone expecting them to follow that route they had around the Crow era is just kidding themselves, and they'd choose playing out stuff like Love Hurts to packed out audiences anyday - or something along those lines. They'll always be my favourite band that have been with me for 20 years of my life, but they are a different band than they were.
    I've always associated the change with the guitarist going to college. Formal education can really stifle creativity.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    I'm completely okay with that: Opeth and Miles Davis (who's famous phrase musically was, "Never look back") are among my favorites. These last few Incubus releases have felt, uninspiried, to put it one way.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    That is actually pretty sad to hear from a man that I considered to be one of the top guitarists with his creativity. When I play The Odyssey, people have either never heard it, or are blown away that it is actually Incubus. I'm all for exploring a new sound, but at least tap back into your roots just a tad? I want a groovy bassline back so dam bad.