Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: True Crime: Documentaries, Podcasts, YT, Movies, Books, TV- the Whole Bloody Mess

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)

    True Crime: Documentaries, Podcasts, YT, Movies, Books, TV- the Whole Bloody Mess

    It seems like True Crime is as popular and ubiquitous as it's ever been, what with Investigation Discovery, the incessant production of crime documentaries on Netflix, and the infinite sea of true crime podcasts like Sword and Scale, Criminal, Serial, etc.
    And, since you have to have a REASONABLY strong stomach to be into things like Fixed and The Downward Spiral, i bet i'm not the only True Crime fan around here.

    So, let's use this thread to share all manner of addictive tales of horrific insanity. I'll start with this TRULY batshit crazy story from Vice i came across recently. It's "pay to view" on YT, but i've found all the episodes for free, (ALSO on YT, oddly enough.)
    You can also watch the series by adding the Vice channel to a smart TV, fire stick, Roku box, etc, along with a login from your cable provider, if you have such a thing.

    This is the one where this lunatic changed his name to Pazuzu, and put bizarre tattoos on his face, WAY before it was trendy, provided a place for all the bad kids to hang out and do WHATEVER the fuck they wanted, all the way down to pissing on the carpet, and some people wound up dead, and, well...you just have to see it.

    So, yeah. Share YOUR favorite true crime doc/book/tv/book/YT/podcast recommendations, for everything from case closed historical crimes, to brand new mysteries and rabbit holes.





    Last edited by elevenism; 04-18-2021 at 02:42 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    So did anyone else watch the series I posted yet?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Used to watch the ID channel all the time with my partner when I was in grad school. We used to cackle watching Homicide Hunter with Lt. Joe Kenda. When we lived in the UK, we didn't have the ID channel, but could access Homicide Hunter occasionally. Now that I'm going to be living on my own in 10 days, I'm not eager to watch this stuff, because it makes me paranoid/fearful. I get the appeal though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    You guys fucking suck.

    I thought this thread would take off like a lone, skinny Proud Boy, running from a gang of antifa with weapons and masks, who actually WERE the dudes the right makes them out to be.
    i find it REALLY hard to believe that a fanbase who celebrated the Broken Movie recoils in the face of true crime.

    also, for the record, i don't like it for the gore and horror. I like it, MOST of all, because of the mysteries. I also like how BIZARRE some of these crimes are. Finally, i LOVE the twists and turns these cases take.

    ANYWAY, THIS one is INSANELY disturbing. ANd, it's not that the CRIME is especially terrible. Rather, it's the dude's attitude.

    Last edited by elevenism; 05-19-2021 at 10:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    So, come on, y'all.

    Watch the above videos.

    Then, we can discuss them.

    I KNOW, DAMN WELL, that i'm not the only true crime fan here.
    Last edited by elevenism; 05-20-2021 at 08:06 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    also, @Magnetic , the show in the first post, "the devil you know?"

    It's NOT about people breaking into people's houses.

    It's about some fucking lunatic satanist in Winston-Salem who basically started a fucking CULT, that ended with people dying.

    Trust me: it won't scare you, unless you're going to people's houses that are about to be condemned, and covered, every square inch, in trash, rotting food, and both human and animal feces.
    The couple of people who got killed were NOT the craziest thing about Pazuzu, oddly enough :P

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    83
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I just finished reading American Predator, which is about the serial killer Israel Keyes. Active late 90's to 2012, this guy was fucking terrifying. He had a second life as a married dad while also being an arsonist, bank robber, rapist murderer. He'd target total strangers and didn't discriminate with gender, age, race. Traveled all over the country and would leave "murder buckets" (kits with weapons, tools) buried in the ground that he could re-visit years later.

    I also am drawn to mysteries, and understanding why and how these things happen. Sometimes though I feel a little dirty though as if "true crime" is an entertainment industry built off the misery of others.

    I'm a fan of the Crime Junkies podcast. They choose interesting stories, sometimes highlight local crimes that don't get national attention, and I like the host's personalities. Some crime podcasts are too dour, or hyper, but that one has a nice balance to it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    @elevenism I'll give it a look. Sounds pretty crazy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    I just finished reading American Predator, which is about the serial killer Israel Keyes. Active late 90's to 2012, this guy was fucking terrifying. He had a second life as a married dad while also being an arsonist, bank robber, rapist murderer. He'd target total strangers and didn't discriminate with gender, age, race. Traveled all over the country and would leave "murder buckets" (kits with weapons, tools) buried in the ground that he could re-visit years later.

    I also am drawn to mysteries, and understanding why and how these things happen. Sometimes though I feel a little dirty though as if "true crime" is an entertainment industry built off the misery of others.

    I'm a fan of the Crime Junkies podcast. They choose interesting stories, sometimes highlight local crimes that don't get national attention, and I like the host's personalities. Some crime podcasts are too dour, or hyper, but that one has a nice balance to it.
    I'll read the book, AND check out the podcast. I have it saved to "my podcasts" on plex, but I've not tried it.

    The last video I posted presents an interesting dichotomy: the crimes, by nature, are awful, but the presenter is a jovial, charismatic guy who makes dad jokes that AREN'T in poor taste. The YouTube channel is called That Chapter.
    I'd bet it strikes the balance you mentioned.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,276
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Well, I haven't seen this thread previously. But I am an avid fan of true crime.

    I have seen the first season of The Devil You Know. Honestly, I don't care to discuss it because I found it incredibly disturbing on so many levels. And it left me very angry too.. It's very well made but it's an unforgiving look at the events and at the people involved. Algarad was suffering from serious mental health problems that had nothing to do with him being covered in tattoos, having his teeth filed or his worshiping the devil stuff.

    I guess I didn't learned my lesson because I started watching the second season of the Devil You Know, which takes a look at a woman named Sherry Shriner, a conspiracy nut case rambling on social medias about the Reptilians taking over. Thing is a couple people died around her and it will probably have to do with the stuff she's saying.

    I watch a lot of shows on ID. I loved Homicide Hunter but it's because Joe Kenda is not your usual detective. He's a well educated man who has a deep understanding of human nature and behavior. And my, my, my is he ever the sarcastic one. But he also talked about the cost his job took on him, how he's suffering from PTSD and how he cannot forget all he has seen. I'm very sorry the show is over and there won't be new episodes.

    Also on ID: I like Evil Lives Here and Fear Thy Neighbor.

    As far as books goes: I've read Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry. It doesn't get much better than this.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post

    I watch a lot of shows on ID. I loved Homicide Hunter but it's because Joe Kenda is not your usual detective. He's a well educated man who has a deep understanding of human nature and behavior. And my, my, my is he ever the sarcastic one. But he also talked about the cost his job took on him, how he's suffering from PTSD and how he cannot forget all he has seen. I'm very sorry the show is over and there won't be new episodes.
    He has a new series with Discovery +: In December 2020, the new series was announced as American Detective with Lt. Joe Kenda, with each episode featuring Kenda discussing the cases of different homicide detectives in the United States. It premiered on January 4, 2021, with the launch of the new Discovery+ streaming service.

    I actually have Discovery + for the Food Network stuff. Might have to check his new show out.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right here
    Posts
    2,276
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    He has a new series with Discovery +: In December 2020, the new series was announced as American Detective with Lt. Joe Kenda, with each episode featuring Kenda discussing the cases of different homicide detectives in the United States. It premiered on January 4, 2021, with the launch of the new Discovery+ streaming service.

    I actually have Discovery + for the Food Network stuff. Might have to check his new show out.
    Thank you so much for the info! Unfortunately, Discovery + is not available in Canada... Bloody mofos. Unless they offer the service soon, I'll have to wait and see if a channel over here picks it up.

    I have bought his book though. I'll get around to read it and I'll let you know what I think of it.

    Another excellent book I've read is The Monster of Florence, a True Story; by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi. The so-called Monster is Italy's version of the Zodiac killer.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    So, this is a whole fucking crime WAR.
    It's mind blowing: these young rappers are literally killing each other, and then bragging about it in their lyrics, and then THEIR people get killed, and the cycle continues. This is a YouTube video, but it's Netflix length and quality. For the record, I don't listen to ANY of the rappers mentioned here, but still found this to be VERY engaging and extremely heartbreaking.
    The body count is insane. These beefs make the east coast/west coast stuff from my day look like a trip to Disneyland.
    I honestly think we should be paying attention to this stuff, but, hell if I know what we're supposed to DO about it.



    @marodi season 2 of The Devil You Know is fascinating.
    Regarding your assessment of season 1, you're probably right about Pazuzu's mental health. I still dug it, though.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Here's another youtuber doing tv quality documentaries: it's called JCS Criminal Psychology.
    This channel is mostly breaking down and commenting on the back and forth between detectives and criminals, and it's FASCINATING, even if you think you know everything about the crime.

    This is one of, if not THE best, true crime channels I've found on YouTube. The only downside is that I don't think there are more than a dozen of these.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    also, @Magnetic , the show in the first post, "the devil you know?"

    It's NOT about people breaking into people's houses.

    It's about some fucking lunatic satanist in Winston-Salem who basically started a fucking CULT, that ended with people dying.

    Trust me: it won't scare you, unless you're going to people's houses that are about to be condemned, and covered, every square inch, in trash, rotting food, and both human and animal feces.
    The couple of people who got killed were NOT the craziest thing about Pazuzu, oddly enough :P
    JFC, that was depressing.
    I grew up in the south, and I remember going to the "local weird older dude's house" when I was in highschool, so I know how prevalent this is in small towns. And I hate that. Definitely felt sick when they took video in the house.
    At least the two addicts got clean at the end.

    I'm now going to go watch Brad Mondo videos to cheer myself up.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    YEEEEAH @Magnetic , you got you some Pazuzu?

    Ok, so, is anyone watching I, Sniper?

    I should probably add a trigger warning to this one: it's ROUGH.

    The backbone of the thing is interviews with the DC sniper- the kid, who took most of the shots. He's a fucking psychopath with no remorse, as far as I can tell. And it's interspersed with interviews of the families of the victims.

    It's hard to swallow, but, if you can handle it, it's fascinating. It took me an episode or two to get used to just how grim it was gonna be, though.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the beginning of the end
    Posts
    7,924
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Holy Christ, @Canada

    Ontario is giving Chicago a run for its money! :/


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post

    As far as books goes: I've read Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi and Curt Gentry. It doesn't get much better than this.
    Another very good Manson Book is "Manson - The Life and Times of Charles Manson" by Jeff Guinn. Very detailed and informative story of Manson from his birth right up to and including the Tate murders and trial.
    While Helter Skelter is a decent account of the murders and trial, the Jeff Guinn book was the first time I had read anything so detailed about Manson's life, his childhood and life within "The Family" etc.
    Recommended.
    Last edited by Camille; 11-01-2021 at 03:55 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    667
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebek View Post
    I just finished reading American Predator, which is about the serial killer Israel Keyes. Active late 90's to 2012, this guy was fucking terrifying. He had a second life as a married dad while also being an arsonist, bank robber, rapist murderer. He'd target total strangers and didn't discriminate with gender, age, race. Traveled all over the country and would leave "murder buckets" (kits with weapons, tools) buried in the ground that he could re-visit years later.
    That is a very good book, a really fascinating story. Amazing how meticulous he was to avoid capture, yet also took unbelievable risks which could have and indeed did eventually lead to his arrest.

Posting Permissions