Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Indiana Jones

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Indiana Jones

We don't have a thread for Indiana Jones yet? Why not.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is officially the female lead in the as yet untitled fifth entry due next summer.

Also, you best believe I'll be picking this up in a few months...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I wonder if they will even mention Mutt Williams.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Really? Huh.

Temple of Doom was on tv a couple of weeks ago. I watched part of it and thought, "wow, this did NOT age well."

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Crystal Skull was NOT that bad.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Really? Huh.

Temple of Doom was on tv a couple of weeks ago. I watched part of it and thought, "wow, this did NOT age well."
    I’m a bit back and forth on this, I saw it 6 times at the cinema with my sister. Some of the things that strike me as cringe, Willie Scott is just fucking annoying but when I was 11 I thought she was hilarious. The white saviour thing I see in full force now, didn’t have a clue then. Why does Indy have a child be his sidekick? It’s just weird and I guess for the children watching to root for? It’s incredibly dark which is why I enjoyed it I think, I remember reading the novelisation and just loving it.

this new film is just another example of a really young woman wanting to fuck an older male star? Getting a bit tiresome unless there’s some edge to it
    Last edited by WorzelG; 04-09-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Raiders and Last Crusade are great! The other two I'm considerably less fond of, but I don't hate them either.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    this new film is just another example of a really young woman wanting to fuck an older male star? Getting a bit tiresome unless there’s some edge to it
    I thought the same when I first read the news about the new one. But then I reconsidered; “surely not”, I thought. “Surely Waller-Bridge will not be his love interest. I mean, she’s 35, he’s 78. That’s a 43 year age difference. The writers won’t pull a Woody Allen.”

They fucking will though, won’t they.
    Last edited by muad'nin; 04-10-2021 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Clarity

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really love the Indiana Jones films. Raiders is more or less the best movie ever in my opinion, and I even enjoy Temple of Doom, as problematic as it is in a modern context.

All that being said, I'm comfortable letting the franchise rest. For as much admiration I have for the character, he doesn't need to be this infinite thing. Harrison Ford doesn't exactly work as a believable action star when he's nearly 80 years old. I mean, I know studios won't let a popular IP die - they'd prefer to constantly recast or reboot them, but I kind of wish they would. The Indiana Jones films existed for a brief, glorious period of time in the 80's, and that's fine with me. Let them stay there. I can always revisit them. I don't need a constant barrage of new entries to remind me that the previous movies exist (this applies in equal measure to Star Wars, Alien, The Terminator...).

That opening Area 51 chase in Crystal Skull is a lot of fun, yeah? Kind of shame the film takes a nosedive after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Crystal Skull was painful to watch for me, yet hilarious as I felt like both the character and the actor were tired of getting beaten up.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    I thought the same when I first read the news about the new one. But then I reconsidered; “surely not”, I thought. “Surely Waller-Bridge will not be his love interest. I mean, she’s 35, he’s 78. That’s a 43 year age difference. The writers won’t pull a Woody Allen.”

They fucking will though, won’t they.
    to be fair, in this article it’s claimed that Spielberg says maybe it’s about time the torch was passed to a woman, so maybe he’s more of a mentor figure to her rather than love interest?

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/22...-harrison-ford

Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Love the series and like Crystal Skull even but this totally doesn't need a sequel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge doesn't seem like the type of actress to sign onto a script where she just plays the love interest to someone more than twice her age, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Maybe the paycheck is just that good.

It also makes no sense to give Indy a new lover given the events of Crystal Skull, which makes me wonder how they're going reconcile the ending of that film with a new one... Crystal Skull, ending with Indy's marriage and reconnecting with his son, seemed like a pretty definitive ending to the character.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thought this was worth posting, since no one else has: Mads Mikkelsen has joined the cast of the next film.

Will he play a villain? Almost certainly. This film is certainly shaping up to have a fantastic cast. Will it live up to expectations?!? Probably not...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Looks like all the recent onset shots of Harrison Ford with the mocap dots are for some flashback de-aging a la The Irishman.