Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Jones

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Indiana Jones

We don't have a thread for Indiana Jones yet? Why not.

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is officially the female lead in the as yet untitled fifth entry due next summer.

Also, you best believe I'll be picking this up in a few months...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I wonder if they will even mention Mutt Williams.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Really? Huh.

Temple of Doom was on tv a couple of weeks ago. I watched part of it and thought, "wow, this did NOT age well."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Crystal Skull was NOT that bad.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Really? Huh.

Temple of Doom was on tv a couple of weeks ago. I watched part of it and thought, "wow, this did NOT age well."
    I’m a bit back and forth on this, I saw it 6 times at the cinema with my sister. Some of the things that strike me as cringe, Willie Scott is just fucking annoying but when I was 11 I thought she was hilarious. The white saviour thing I see in full force now, didn’t have a clue then. Why does Indy have a child be his sidekick? It’s just weird and I guess for the children watching to root for? It’s incredibly dark which is why I enjoyed it I think, I remember reading the novelisation and just loving it.

this new film is just another example of a really young woman wanting to fuck an older male star? Getting a bit tiresome unless there’s some edge to it
    Last edited by WorzelG; 04-09-2021 at 04:34 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Raiders and Last Crusade are great! The other two I'm considerably less fond of, but I don't hate them either.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    this new film is just another example of a really young woman wanting to fuck an older male star? Getting a bit tiresome unless there’s some edge to it
    I thought the same when I first read the news about the new one. But then I reconsidered; “surely not”, I thought. “Surely Waller-Bridge will not be his love interest. I mean, she’s 35, he’s 78. That’s a 43 year age difference. The writers won’t pull a Woody Allen.”

They fucking will though, won’t they.
    Last edited by muad'nin; 04-10-2021 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Clarity

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I really love the Indiana Jones films. Raiders is more or less the best movie ever in my opinion, and I even enjoy Temple of Doom, as problematic as it is in a modern context.

All that being said, I'm comfortable letting the franchise rest. For as much admiration I have for the character, he doesn't need to be this infinite thing. Harrison Ford doesn't exactly work as a believable action star when he's nearly 80 years old. I mean, I know studios won't let a popular IP die - they'd prefer to constantly recast or reboot them, but I kind of wish they would. The Indiana Jones films existed for a brief, glorious period of time in the 80's, and that's fine with me. Let them stay there. I can always revisit them. I don't need a constant barrage of new entries to remind me that the previous movies exist (this applies in equal measure to Star Wars, Alien, The Terminator...).

That opening Area 51 chase in Crystal Skull is a lot of fun, yeah? Kind of shame the film takes a nosedive after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Crystal Skull was painful to watch for me, yet hilarious as I felt like both the character and the actor were tired of getting beaten up.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    I thought the same when I first read the news about the new one. But then I reconsidered; “surely not”, I thought. “Surely Waller-Bridge will not be his love interest. I mean, she’s 35, he’s 78. That’s a 43 year age difference. The writers won’t pull a Woody Allen.”

to be fair, in this article it’s claimed that Spielberg says maybe it’s about time the torch was passed to a woman, so maybe he’s more of a mentor figure to her rather than love interest?

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/22...-harrison-ford

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Love the series and like Crystal Skull even but this totally doesn't need a sequel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge doesn't seem like the type of actress to sign onto a script where she just plays the love interest to someone more than twice her age, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Maybe the paycheck is just that good.

It also makes no sense to give Indy a new lover given the events of Crystal Skull, which makes me wonder how they're going reconcile the ending of that film with a new one... Crystal Skull, ending with Indy's marriage and reconnecting with his son, seemed like a pretty definitive ending to the character.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thought this was worth posting, since no one else has: Mads Mikkelsen has joined the cast of the next film.

Will he play a villain? Almost certainly. This film is certainly shaping up to have a fantastic cast. Will it live up to expectations?!? Probably not...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like all the recent onset shots of Harrison Ford with the mocap dots are for some flashback de-aging a la The Irishman.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Obviously with all the mocap pics leaking, we can assume what the general plot will be, but now it's heavily rumored to be true. Almost certainly you'll see this elsewhere but spoiler tags just in case.

Spoiler: Indiana Jones 5 will be set in the 1960s and will start with Indiana Jones getting retired and enjoying his retirement life with Marion Ravenwood. After that, he may get involved in discovering the Fountain of Youth after he learns that several vials of water said to be from the fabled monument are real, which involves a trip to the Bermuda Triangle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like they forgot to de-age his hands lol

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh boy...now starting to circulate. Harrison’s injury is worse than originally let out to the public, requires surgery, and means production is now looking at an ‘early Sept at best’ restart. Expect a delay for official release. Also officially his last outing as IJ. Just haaaaad to do his own stunts again lol.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I loved Indy as a kid, and I liked the idea of restarting it with a new Indy, but it didn't really work the way they tried it in the Crystal Skull.

I hope they've not totally given up on trying to find a new, younger actor to take over the franchise, because I'd really love to see that sense of adventure continue perpetually.

But Harrison Ford needs to pass the torch now. Making a sentimental film about an aging Indy just doesn't feel right. Indy was all about adventure. As contradictory as it sounds, he was an archelogist discovering something new. There's nothing new in nostalgia.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Grain of salt, etc. etc. but this is making the rounds...and getting swiftly taken down here and there, so who knows.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    So it's Space Nazis for Indy this time with Mikkelsen playing a high ranking officer I suppose. At least "Die Glocke" (The Bell) and the "Haunebu" flying saucers are a clear indicator that this is going to take place around 1943/44 and probably in Europe and probably some occult places. Okay... I guess?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post

Yes.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    No. Heavily rumored that she'll be his daughter.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ok, so I just watched Raiders for the first time beginning to end... I hate to say this but I didn't really like it all that much. End of the middle act into the third just DRAGGED on for so long I fell asleep twice. Some extremely classic moments, but it just fell a tad short for me.

Temple of Doom came on right after and I had to turn it off after constant screaming and cringe from Kate Capshaws character. Does it get better? I'm willing to finish the rest of the films (I saw Crystal Skull before any of these mind you) so I'm curious as to what is everyone's favorite entry in the series?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Ok, so I just watched Raiders for the first time beginning to end... I hate to say this but I didn't really like it all that much. End of the middle act into the third just DRAGGED on for so long I fell asleep twice. Some extremely classic moments, but it just fell a tad short for me.

Temple of Doom came on right after and I had to turn it off after constant screaming and cringe from Kate Capshaws character. Does it get better? I'm willing to finish the rest of the films (I saw Crystal Skull before any of these mind you) so I'm curious as to what is everyone's favorite entry in the series?
    I love all 3 original films really. It's hard to pick which is best between the two predecessors but The Last Crusade is undoubtedly the best. There's some pacing issues with Raiders but the action goes non-stop in the other two. The climax act in Temple of Doom is fantastic. The story and settings of Last Crusade is unrivaled.

I liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but it doesn't hit as hard as the original trilogy.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I love all 3 original films really. It's hard to pick which is best between the two predecessors but The Last Crusade is undoubtedly the best. There's some pacing issues with Raiders but the action goes non-stop in the other two. The climax act in Temple of Doom is fantastic. The story and settings of Last Crusade is unrivaled.

I liked Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but it doesn't hit as hard as the original trilogy.
    Yea, I guess I was a bit worn out from Raiders, so my attention span and patience was worn thin by the time Temple came on lol. I'm gonna sit down with that and Crusade and see how it turns out. Raiders has such a goofiness to it, which I really enjoyed.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Yea, I guess I was a bit worn out from Raiders, so my attention span and patience was worn thin by the time Temple came on lol. I'm gonna sit down with that and Crusade and see how it turns out. Raiders has such a goofiness to it, which I really enjoyed.
    Even if you dislike Temple of Doom I have no doubt you’d still enjoy the Last Crusade. Sean Connery’s performance as Henry Jones Sr. shines throughout the movie.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Looks like the time of the new movie has been confirmed via a spoiler photo taken on set...poster in a window Spoiler: that is welcoming home the astronauts from Apollo 11.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Even if you dislike Temple of Doom I have no doubt you’d still enjoy the Last Crusade. Sean Connery’s performance as Henry Jones Sr. shines throughout the movie.
    This. Crusade seems to be everyone's fave, and I have heard nothing but great things from Connery's effort here. I just grabbed my cousins blu-ray set so I'm ready for the weekend.