Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Retro Games

Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    one of the FB groups I was in said that anything before 2000 could be considered Retro. I still feel weird calling NIN64 or Dreamcast "retro," but they are I guess, more or less, and will become more so.

Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    I'm trying to find good, full romsets for NES, SNES, GB, GBA, GBC...everything up to PlayStation, not including N64.

I had all of this on a disc, but it's corrupted, and The Eye is down.

Does anyone have such a collection?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    990 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

LGR wearing a PHM shirt... I know he's fan (how long, no idea), he's made reference to them many times over the years.
    His brother is also sporting a Spring US 2022 tour shirt....
    Pretty Eight Machine also makes a cameo...

Holy shit, I had NO idea this show existed, and I LIVE HERE! I'm so bummed out that I didn't go to this thing!!!

Oh well, next year!

AND I discovered Galloping Ghost via that video! Wtf!! The video shows they have the full-size sit-down Star Wars game, that was my game omg.

Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    one great time, I went to this chiptune show in Fukuoka, and there's like three different artists playing primarily with actual modded hardware, like old Nintendos, that was awesome... like it was occasionally super heavy, but it was all good... super interesting. But yeah, most of it sounded like intense Mega Man

Mentioned
    990 Post(s)
    I love how the Midwest show is so much old geeky hardware. Like telephony stuff. And an original pristine Apple Lisa. It’s fun to just stand around talking to people who used to be around in “the old days” about hardware. “Oh man I had a 3B2 running System V that I got out of some guy’s trunk!”

I showed my husband the info about Galloping Ghost. If it wasn’t so far away from where I lived, I’d join as a MEMBER.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-03-2022 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Anyone else getting a new Retro Handheld for xmas?

I've got a Retroid Pocket 3+ on the way...from China, of course, so god knows when it will get here.

My prediction on the previous page was right: this thing plays Dreamcast, N64, Saturn and PSP BEYOND perfectly, as you can UPSCALE the fucking resolution on most of it. It'll also play SOME GameCube and PS2.

It has an extremely (by comparison) simple, user friendly interface: I've seen and used it on my wife's RP2+ : you've obviously gotta do SOME setup, but this is NOTHING compared to setting up an Anbernic device.

It's also more ergonomic and bigger, with a touch screen, WIFI 5, and Bluetooth, an HDMI out so you can use it as a console, it updates itself through wifi...all kinds of cool stuff.

You can do cloud gaming with XBOX, PS, whatever steam uses, etc.

It's Android...11, I think? So, native android will run, too, chipset permitting, of course: this ain't a snapdragon or anything. It's a Unisoc Tiger T618, actually.

And this fucker is only $149!

I CANNOT WAIT.

I still ADORE my Anbernic RG351, and play it about 1000x more than my XBOX One and hacked Wii/GameCube combined, but that thing honestly caps out at PlayStation 1.
    I'm ready to get me some glitch free, upscaled N64, PSP and Dreamcast.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Anyone else getting a new Retro Handheld for xmas?
    Yes, I bought the new Anbernic RG353M. I debated between this and the new Retroid for a bit. Eventually settled for the Anbernic as it fulfill my needs of a quick portable device I can throw in a backpack and the amount of features on the Retroid will be wasted as I am a low volume player. Meaning I just pick it up for casual play and that's it.

Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Yes, I bought the new Anbernic RG353M. I debated between this and the new Retroid for a bit. Eventually settled for the Anbernic as it fulfill my needs of a quick portable device I can throw in a backpack and the amount of features on the Retroid will be wasted as I am a low volume player. Meaning I just pick it up for casual play and that's it.
    Ah, nice. They say those metal variants are the sure shot. That thing dual boots, too, right, and that rockchip will get you SOME good PSP and Dreamcast and such.
    And I LOVE the form factor.

Is size why you didn't go with the more powerful/similarly priced 505, though?

Yeah, I like the size of my 351, a LOT, and I WISH they'd just put that fucking T618 chip in the same old shell.
    In fact, I was SURE the next device to come after the 351 line would be the same shit, but with perfect Dreamcast/PSP/N64, but then they went off the deep end, making all kinds of problematic devices, rapid fire style.

But that 353 comes closest to what I had in mind, though, for sure.

Shit, I'D put the fucking RP3+/505 chipset into my 351 shell, if I was any good at such projects.

As far as pocketability? I feel you.
    Trust me. I'll NEVER get rid of Jennife...I mean, my 351P..
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-05-2022 at 01:28 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Ah, nice. They say those metal variants are the sure shot. That thing dual boots, too, right, and that rockchip will get you SOME good PSP and Dreamcast and such.

Is size why you didn't go with the more powerful/similarly priced 505, though?

Yeah, I like the size of my 351, a LOT, and I WISH they'd just put that fucking T618 chip in the same old shell.
    In fact, I was SURE the next device to come after the 351 line would be the same shit, but with perfect Dreamcast/PSP/N64, but then they went off the deep end, making all kinds of problematic devices, rapid fire style.

But that 353 comes closest to what I had in mind, though, for sure.

Shit, I'D put the fucking RP3+/505 chipset into my 351 shell, if I was any good at such projects.

As far as pocketability? I feel you.
    Trust me. I'll NEVER get rid of Jennife...I mean, my 351P..
    Yup, it does dual boot (though, I won't use it.) And yes, the size of the screen was a deciding factor too cause I thought about the use and how annoyed I would be if the device was slightly bigger.

I haven't fully set it up yet but I'll get to it. And a big YES on the ability to play Dreamcast games on it.

Let me know how the Retroid goes. I'm curious how well it will run some of the Gamecube games.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I gave up on video games when I discovered gambling but I used to love playing Joust. Such a stoner game, haha.

Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I gave up on video games when I discovered gambling but I used to love playing Joust. Such a stoner game, haha.
    But gambling in general is the most retro gaming thing ever!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    But gambling in general is the most retro gaming thing ever!
    Yep. The new video games just confuse me, haha.

Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    ok... so I got a Steam Deck for XMAS... and I'm trying to mess with this Emudeck nonsense... what the HELL is going on here with assigning cover art? The rom organizer requires you to work with it to place the cover art but seems to get titles wrong... so my copies (which I own all of, lol) of Dragon Quest 1+2, 5, and 6 for SNES are all, for some reason, matched with art for DQ3.

This might sound like a small complaint, but Steam Deck organizes all the titles by cover image, so there's no way to know which version of the game you're trying to load (until you fucking load it), and you can't even change the file name, not that it matters because you can't see the name obscured behind the cover art.

I have to be missing something here. Other, more obscure games are easy to fix w/ the cover art. I just loaded in Uncharted: New Horizons with an image I snapped off the web, but I cannot do that for Dragon Quest... and at this point, I guess I'll just delete the roms and move along? This is completely nagging at my OCD though.

Otherwise, Steam Deck gets an 8/10 from me for a nifty new device. For just running Steam games, it's mostly great, but still problematic in a few ways, and really, that hardware dock to hook it to the TV... that's some bullshit design. Just rip off the Switch already. They did it right. This stupid shit requires you to use up the one USB C port that could otherwise be purposed to hook up a hard drive or keyboard/mouse dongle, and is just a pain. The plug could really just be that. The design here is garbage.

Fun bonus fact: The "retro game achievement" thingy knows which version of the game I'm running. It's telling me "ok, you're running Dragon Quest VI, and you've earned no trophies!" but the Steam Deck keeps telling me it's Dragon Quest VII, even though that's impossible, and it won't let me correct it.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-29-2022 at 11:06 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    ok... so I got a Steam Deck for XMAS... and I'm trying to mess with this Emudeck nonsense... what the HELL is going on here with assigning cover art? The rom organizer requires you to work with it to place the cover art but seems to get titles wrong... so my copies (which I own all of, lol) of Dragon Quest 1+2, 5, and 6 for SNES are all, for some reason, matched with art for DQ3.

This might sound like a small complaint, but Steam Deck organizes all the titles by cover image, so there's no way to know which version of the game you're trying to load (until you fucking load it), and you can't even change the file name, not that it matters because you can't see the name obscured behind the cover art.

I have to be missing something here. Other, more obscure games are easy to fix w/ the cover art. I just loaded in Uncharted: New Horizons with an image I snapped off the web, but I cannot do that for Dragon Quest... and at this point, I guess I'll just delete the roms and move along? This is completely nagging at my OCD though.

Otherwise, Steam Deck gets an 8/10 from me for a nifty new device. For just running Steam games, it's mostly great, but still problematic in a few ways, and really, that hardware dock to hook it to the TV... that's some bullshit design. Just rip off the Switch already. They did it right. This stupid shit requires you to use up the one USB C port that could otherwise be purposed to hook up a hard drive or keyboard/mouse dongle, and is just a pain. The plug could really just be that. The design here is garbage.

Fun bonus fact: The "retro game achievement" thingy knows which version of the game I'm running. It's telling me "ok, you're running Dragon Quest VI, and you've earned no trophies!" but the Steam Deck keeps telling me it's Dragon Quest VII, even though that's impossible, and it won't let me correct it.
    Are you using Emulation Station or Steam Rom Organizer? I have Emulation Station setup so I'm not sure about Steam Rom Organizer...

Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    Steam Rom Organizer. It's bizarre that this sort of thing is a hiccup

I've worked out a solution, but I dunno, it seems like they need to work the kinks out... and really, I've just been messing with it to see what it can do. Primarily it's to play Steam, and on the retro game topic, I just got the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for it, and so far really liking it.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-30-2022 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Steam Rom Organizer. It's bizarre that this sort of thing is a hiccup

I've worked out a solution, but I dunno, it seems like they need to work the kinks out... and really, I've just been messing with it to see what it can do. Primarily it's to play Steam, and on the retro game topic, I just got the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for it, and so far really liking it.
    Ah I can't really help you with that one. I'd search reddit for anything related to that.

I have such a large rom collection that I'd rather have it's own app for everything (Emulation Station) instead of through the Steam Library.

Mentioned
    534 Post(s)
    yeah, @Kodiak33 , it's not built for huge rom dumps w/ the organizer, you kinda have to curate which ones you want if you're going to use it that way... and some of the retro titles I'm playing now are stuff I bought from the Steam store, like the Genesis collection, Samurai Shodown collection, Capcom Fighting Collection... I know you could just emulate all that easily, but I do like these polished collections, and the Steam prices are great compared to the average you see on PSN.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    yeah, @Kodiak33, it's not built for huge rom dumps w/ the organizer, you kinda have to curate which ones you want if you're going to use it that way... and some of the retro titles I'm playing now are stuff I bought from the Steam store, like the Genesis collection, Samurai Shodown collection, Capcom Fighting Collection... I know you could just emulate all that easily, but I do like these polished collections, and the Steam prices are great compared to the average you see on PSN.
    That makes sense for your use case for sure.

I've been using Reddit and Youtube for most of my questions about the Deck and there is a ton of information out there. I think it's probably the best overall computer I've ever had, especially if you like to tinker.