Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Retro Games

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    one of the FB groups I was in said that anything before 2000 could be considered Retro. I still feel weird calling NIN64 or Dreamcast "retro," but they are I guess, more or less, and will become more so.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I'm trying to find good, full romsets for NES, SNES, GB, GBA, GBC...everything up to PlayStation, not including N64.

I had all of this on a disc, but it's corrupted, and The Eye is down.

Does anyone have such a collection?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post

LGR wearing a PHM shirt... I know he's fan (how long, no idea), he's made reference to them many times over the years.
    His brother is also sporting a Spring US 2022 tour shirt....
    Pretty Eight Machine also makes a cameo...

Holy shit, I had NO idea this show existed, and I LIVE HERE! I'm so bummed out that I didn't go to this thing!!!

Oh well, next year!

AND I discovered Galloping Ghost via that video! Wtf!! The video shows they have the full-size sit-down Star Wars game, that was my game omg.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    one great time, I went to this chiptune show in Fukuoka, and there's like three different artists playing primarily with actual modded hardware, like old Nintendos, that was awesome... like it was occasionally super heavy, but it was all good... super interesting. But yeah, most of it sounded like intense Mega Man

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I love how the Midwest show is so much old geeky hardware. Like telephony stuff. And an original pristine Apple Lisa. It’s fun to just stand around talking to people who used to be around in “the old days” about hardware. “Oh man I had a 3B2 running System V that I got out of some guy’s trunk!”

I showed my husband the info about Galloping Ghost. If it wasn’t so far away from where I lived, I’d join as a MEMBER.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-03-2022 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Anyone else getting a new Retro Handheld for xmas?

I've got a Retroid Pocket 3+ on the way...from China, of course, so god knows when it will get here.

My prediction on the previous page was right: this thing plays Dreamcast, N64, Saturn and PSP BEYOND perfectly, as you can UPSCALE the fucking resolution on most of it. It'll also play SOME GameCube and PS2.

It has an extremely (by comparison) simple, user friendly interface: I've seen and used it on my wife's RP2+ : you've obviously gotta do SOME setup, but this is NOTHING compared to setting up an Anbernic device.

It's also more ergonomic and bigger, with a touch screen, WIFI 5, and Bluetooth, an HDMI out so you can use it as a console, it updates itself through wifi...all kinds of cool stuff.

You can do cloud gaming with XBOX, PS, whatever steam uses, etc.

It's Android...11, I think? So, native android will run, too, chipset permitting, of course: this ain't a snapdragon or anything. It's a Unisoc Tiger T618, actually.

And this fucker is only $149!

I CANNOT WAIT.

I still ADORE my Anbernic RG351, and play it about 1000x more than my XBOX One and hacked Wii/GameCube combined, but that thing honestly caps out at PlayStation 1.
    I'm ready to get me some glitch free, upscaled N64, PSP and Dreamcast.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Anyone else getting a new Retro Handheld for xmas?
    Yes, I bought the new Anbernic RG353M. I debated between this and the new Retroid for a bit. Eventually settled for the Anbernic as it fulfill my needs of a quick portable device I can throw in a backpack and the amount of features on the Retroid will be wasted as I am a low volume player. Meaning I just pick it up for casual play and that's it.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Yes, I bought the new Anbernic RG353M. I debated between this and the new Retroid for a bit. Eventually settled for the Anbernic as it fulfill my needs of a quick portable device I can throw in a backpack and the amount of features on the Retroid will be wasted as I am a low volume player. Meaning I just pick it up for casual play and that's it.
    Ah, nice. They say those metal variants are the sure shot. That thing dual boots, too, right, and that rockchip will get you SOME good PSP and Dreamcast and such.
    And I LOVE the form factor.

Is size why you didn't go with the more powerful/similarly priced 505, though?

Yeah, I like the size of my 351, a LOT, and I WISH they'd just put that fucking T618 chip in the same old shell.
    In fact, I was SURE the next device to come after the 351 line would be the same shit, but with perfect Dreamcast/PSP/N64, but then they went off the deep end, making all kinds of problematic devices, rapid fire style.

But that 353 comes closest to what I had in mind, though, for sure.

Shit, I'D put the fucking RP3+/505 chipset into my 351 shell, if I was any good at such projects.

As far as pocketability? I feel you.
    Trust me. I'll NEVER get rid of Jennife...I mean, my 351P..
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-05-2022 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Ah, nice. They say those metal variants are the sure shot. That thing dual boots, too, right, and that rockchip will get you SOME good PSP and Dreamcast and such.

Is size why you didn't go with the more powerful/similarly priced 505, though?

Yeah, I like the size of my 351, a LOT, and I WISH they'd just put that fucking T618 chip in the same old shell.
    In fact, I was SURE the next device to come after the 351 line would be the same shit, but with perfect Dreamcast/PSP/N64, but then they went off the deep end, making all kinds of problematic devices, rapid fire style.

But that 353 comes closest to what I had in mind, though, for sure.

Shit, I'D put the fucking RP3+/505 chipset into my 351 shell, if I was any good at such projects.

As far as pocketability? I feel you.
    Trust me. I'll NEVER get rid of Jennife...I mean, my 351P..
    Yup, it does dual boot (though, I won't use it.) And yes, the size of the screen was a deciding factor too cause I thought about the use and how annoyed I would be if the device was slightly bigger.

I haven't fully set it up yet but I'll get to it. And a big YES on the ability to play Dreamcast games on it.

Let me know how the Retroid goes. I'm curious how well it will run some of the Gamecube games.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I gave up on video games when I discovered gambling but I used to love playing Joust. Such a stoner game, haha.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I gave up on video games when I discovered gambling but I used to love playing Joust. Such a stoner game, haha.
    But gambling in general is the most retro gaming thing ever!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    But gambling in general is the most retro gaming thing ever!
    Yep. The new video games just confuse me, haha.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    ok... so I got a Steam Deck for XMAS... and I'm trying to mess with this Emudeck nonsense... what the HELL is going on here with assigning cover art? The rom organizer requires you to work with it to place the cover art but seems to get titles wrong... so my copies (which I own all of, lol) of Dragon Quest 1+2, 5, and 6 for SNES are all, for some reason, matched with art for DQ3.

This might sound like a small complaint, but Steam Deck organizes all the titles by cover image, so there's no way to know which version of the game you're trying to load (until you fucking load it), and you can't even change the file name, not that it matters because you can't see the name obscured behind the cover art.

I have to be missing something here. Other, more obscure games are easy to fix w/ the cover art. I just loaded in Uncharted: New Horizons with an image I snapped off the web, but I cannot do that for Dragon Quest... and at this point, I guess I'll just delete the roms and move along? This is completely nagging at my OCD though.

Otherwise, Steam Deck gets an 8/10 from me for a nifty new device. For just running Steam games, it's mostly great, but still problematic in a few ways, and really, that hardware dock to hook it to the TV... that's some bullshit design. Just rip off the Switch already. They did it right. This stupid shit requires you to use up the one USB C port that could otherwise be purposed to hook up a hard drive or keyboard/mouse dongle, and is just a pain. The plug could really just be that. The design here is garbage.

Fun bonus fact: The "retro game achievement" thingy knows which version of the game I'm running. It's telling me "ok, you're running Dragon Quest VI, and you've earned no trophies!" but the Steam Deck keeps telling me it's Dragon Quest VII, even though that's impossible, and it won't let me correct it.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-29-2022 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    ok... so I got a Steam Deck for XMAS... and I'm trying to mess with this Emudeck nonsense... what the HELL is going on here with assigning cover art? The rom organizer requires you to work with it to place the cover art but seems to get titles wrong... so my copies (which I own all of, lol) of Dragon Quest 1+2, 5, and 6 for SNES are all, for some reason, matched with art for DQ3.

This might sound like a small complaint, but Steam Deck organizes all the titles by cover image, so there's no way to know which version of the game you're trying to load (until you fucking load it), and you can't even change the file name, not that it matters because you can't see the name obscured behind the cover art.

I have to be missing something here. Other, more obscure games are easy to fix w/ the cover art. I just loaded in Uncharted: New Horizons with an image I snapped off the web, but I cannot do that for Dragon Quest... and at this point, I guess I'll just delete the roms and move along? This is completely nagging at my OCD though.

Otherwise, Steam Deck gets an 8/10 from me for a nifty new device. For just running Steam games, it's mostly great, but still problematic in a few ways, and really, that hardware dock to hook it to the TV... that's some bullshit design. Just rip off the Switch already. They did it right. This stupid shit requires you to use up the one USB C port that could otherwise be purposed to hook up a hard drive or keyboard/mouse dongle, and is just a pain. The plug could really just be that. The design here is garbage.

Fun bonus fact: The "retro game achievement" thingy knows which version of the game I'm running. It's telling me "ok, you're running Dragon Quest VI, and you've earned no trophies!" but the Steam Deck keeps telling me it's Dragon Quest VII, even though that's impossible, and it won't let me correct it.
    Are you using Emulation Station or Steam Rom Organizer? I have Emulation Station setup so I'm not sure about Steam Rom Organizer...

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Steam Rom Organizer. It's bizarre that this sort of thing is a hiccup

I've worked out a solution, but I dunno, it seems like they need to work the kinks out... and really, I've just been messing with it to see what it can do. Primarily it's to play Steam, and on the retro game topic, I just got the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for it, and so far really liking it.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-30-2022 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Steam Rom Organizer. It's bizarre that this sort of thing is a hiccup

I've worked out a solution, but I dunno, it seems like they need to work the kinks out... and really, I've just been messing with it to see what it can do. Primarily it's to play Steam, and on the retro game topic, I just got the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters for it, and so far really liking it.
    Ah I can't really help you with that one. I'd search reddit for anything related to that.

I have such a large rom collection that I'd rather have it's own app for everything (Emulation Station) instead of through the Steam Library.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    yeah, @Kodiak33 , it's not built for huge rom dumps w/ the organizer, you kinda have to curate which ones you want if you're going to use it that way... and some of the retro titles I'm playing now are stuff I bought from the Steam store, like the Genesis collection, Samurai Shodown collection, Capcom Fighting Collection... I know you could just emulate all that easily, but I do like these polished collections, and the Steam prices are great compared to the average you see on PSN.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    yeah, @Kodiak33, it's not built for huge rom dumps w/ the organizer, you kinda have to curate which ones you want if you're going to use it that way... and some of the retro titles I'm playing now are stuff I bought from the Steam store, like the Genesis collection, Samurai Shodown collection, Capcom Fighting Collection... I know you could just emulate all that easily, but I do like these polished collections, and the Steam prices are great compared to the average you see on PSN.
    That makes sense for your use case for sure.

I've been using Reddit and Youtube for most of my questions about the Deck and there is a ton of information out there. I think it's probably the best overall computer I've ever had, especially if you like to tinker.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @Jinsai

My wife and I don't have steamdecks, but we DO have 7 retro handhelds between us. When it comes to frontends and emulators and, hell, firmware, ALL of this shit comes with kinks that need to be ironed out.

I can tell you that autoscraping box art, badass as it is, almost ALWAYS misses some titles.

Have you tried long pressing the incorrect box and seeing if there is a re-scrape option?
    Or, perhaps you can download boxart?

It IS doable one way or another.

As @Kodiak33 said, Reddit is definitely your friend, here.

Youtube can be quite helpful, too: Top cat on YouTube is Retro Game Corps: he creates INCREDIBLY detailed, in depth video guides for all this shit, along with written guides.
    And he's got a few hours, I think, on Steam Deck emulation setup and such.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    Yup, it does dual boot (though, I won't use it.) And yes, the size of the screen was a deciding factor too cause I thought about the use and how annoyed I would be if the device was slightly bigger.

I haven't fully set it up yet but I'll get to it. And a big YES on the ability to play Dreamcast games on it.

Let me know how the Retroid goes. I'm curious how well it will run some of the Gamecube games.
    Holy FUCK this thing is amazing for $149. It'd be amazing at $229...the RP3+, I mean.

Of course it runs everything from pre 2600 to PS1 perfectly. What's crazy is that it can run PS1 at 4x native resolution.

One of the surprise stars of the show, here, is PSP. You can run ALMOST (aka except God of War, more or less) every PSP game at like 3x, and often 4x.
    GOW runs at 2X.
    It's like playing HD remasters of PSP games.

another BIG ass surprise is that, YES, it DOES run a WHOLE hell of a lot of Gamecube. In fact, the majority of the library is "playable." It takes a bit of per game tinkering, though, in many cases. It's not like you can just turn on an emulator, set the global settings, and run the majority of the library.
    I'm also not a "playable" guy. The shit has to be silky smooth, unless we're talking about just a weird box in a menu, or a couple of explosions not being perfect.
    And I'm honestly stunned at how many games run perfectly.
    (I gotta say, though: I wouldn't get this thing for Gamecube. Looking at the way things are NOW, I think the next affordable chipset should run ALL GC with VERY little tinkering, and if it doesn't pop up in December/Jan, we'll get it NEXT dec/Jan).

Surprise number 3, that I didn't even think about, is android. I can't believe some of the android stuff this chipset can pull off. I mean, it legit runs triple A android games (GTA 3, Max Payne, GrimValor, Dead Cells, Oceanhorn).
    And a whole lot of them have RP3+ controller support.
    That fact, combined with Netflix stepping up their gaming library, has been a lot of fun.

Dreamcast is perfect, and can also be upscaled, and runs widescreen hacks.

N64 is fucking great and can mostly be upscaled, but it STILL requires a TINY bit of tinkering, in the form of switching profiles on the M64 FZ Plus emulator.
    It's just a weird fucking system, the N64. So is GC, come to think about it.
    Those systems will require per game tinkering (I call it finger fucking, don't judge me) until an emulator comes along that's preconfigured for each rom, imho.

DS is awesome on this 4.7" screen.

A FEW PS2 games run perfectly. I expect to see more in the future as the emulator gets better.

I LOVE the form factor: it's nice on my RA plagued hands. And it IS pocketable, because it's so thin. I'm not gonna try it because I'm scared of the possibility of damaging the sticks, but it's far more portable than I expected. Oh, ALSO, the screen: it's gorgeous as it is, but ALSO, there's a glitch that makes it pretty much indistinguishable from an OLED panel.

The only thing that's bothered me about this thing is that it claims to have too notch, stand alone emulators, preconfigured for the Retroid. It does have standalone preconfigured emulators: it's just that they aren't exactly top notch.
    I'm pretty sure they were top notch for the RP TWO plus.

So if you want optimum performance for Saturn, you'll need to throw down five bucks for the pro version of Yaba Sanshiro.
    With Gamecube, it comes with Dolphin, but to unlock the potential, you'll have to sideload Dolphin MMJR...stuff like that. And then, you'll have to finger fuck the settings to get them truly optimized.

All in all, though, this thing just blows me away. There's just SO much here for the price tag.
    I honestly wanted an Odin Lite, but I didn't want to wait god-knows-how-long to get it, and this was my second choice.

But yeah. We've both had an RG351P, RP2, RP2+, and these things blow all of those out of the water.
    @virushopper how did your device turn out?

Also, when you say you won't dual boot, do you mean that your a Linux man, or that you're using it as an android system?
    Either way, I'd look at a community spreadsheet for the device and see what Android games are playable, ESPECIALLY with the free Netflix stuff that's out.
    You may be able to get, say, Shredder's Revenge going, with controller support, for free.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @elevenism, I figured it out, but the whole Steam Rom Organizer thing is probably for smaller libraries. I've since just been using the Emulation Station and I feel like it's fine, and I don't need the box art as cute as it is... I can always, y'know, boot up google if I'm curious.

And so far, I just gotta say, the Steam Deck wins at this stuff.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    @elevenism, I figured it out, but the whole Steam Rom Organizer thing is probably for smaller libraries. I've since just been using the Emulation Station and I feel like it's fine, and I don't need the box art as cute as it is... I can always, y'know, boot up google if I'm curious.

And so far, I just gotta say, the Steam Deck wins at this stuff.
    Quite naturally.
    Obviously the SteamDeck is the sure shot, you hot shot California prep school fuc...nevermind lolol. (you know i'm kidding, @Jinsai ).
    It really, honestly is, unless you wanna get into the $1k plus handhelds.

I just...i don't have FIVE hundred.
    And remember: if i get something, the Mrs. has to have one, too, so double the prices.
    We didn't have $1k.

We WANTED odins, and we HAD the bread for that, but when we ordered these, people were JUSt starting to get the Odin Lites they ordered in 2021 or whatever

So...on a budget, the RP3+ is still my recommendation.
    $150. Or, you know...2 for $300 plus shipping and pretty cases and micro sd cards and whatnot.

Price to performance is fucking incredible in this case.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So do enough of us have these devices to warrant an emulation handhelds thread?

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    So do enough of us have these devices to warrant an emulation handhelds thread?
    I would think this thread could be a catch-all for that, but I dunno. On that note, currently tackling MAME

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I would think this thread could be a catch-all for that, but I dunno. On that note, currently tackling MAME
    Are you using retroarch? Because I have an issue regarding MAME cores.

It's a first world problem, to be sure...it's just that I can't fucking figure out how to map the "insert coin" button to my device, and so I have onscreen controls at like 10% opacitiy for that button.

It isn't optimum, and I'm obsessed with getting what runs to run perfectly.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Are you using retroarch? Because I have an issue regarding MAME cores.

It's a first world problem, to be sure...it's just that I can't fucking figure out how to map the "insert coin" button to my device, and so I have onscreen controls at like 10% opacitiy for that button.

It isn't optimum, and I'm obsessed with getting what runs to run perfectly.
    If it's not working through the Retroarch menu, I would try the actual MAME menu.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    If it's not working through the Retroarch menu, I would try the actual MAME menu.
    Hmmmm. MAME menu...is there...OH, wait. I know what you mean.

Yeah, I tried that. I'm still stuck.

I mean, it's not a HUGE problem.

I probably need to take this one to Retroid Reddit.

I THINK I'm having the same problem with my Final Burn Neo romset.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Hey, while I'm at it: do any of you guys play the NBA Ballers: Rebound game on PSP?

I LOOOOOOVE the idea of it, especially Rags to Riches mode. But I can't win a SINGLE FUCKING MATCH in that mode.

I can sure win as Dirk or Steve Nash, but fuuuuuck me: in the coolest mode of the game, the arcade style, create your own character, rise up through the ranks and buy tattoos/clothes/cars/houses/become friends with NBA legends, I'm just SOL.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the only sports games I ever got into, outside of racing titles, are NBA Jam, Blades of Steel, and Tecmo Bowl. OG Excitebike if that counts.