Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 241 to 270 of 273

Thread: Final Fantasy

  1. #241
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,015
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I messed up pretty bad when choosing my classes. Gonna start over, eventually...

  2. #242
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    714
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

  3. #243
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,692
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    So ok. I was totally obsessed with final fantasy when I was a kid, but when they made the jump to PlayStation, I looked at FF7 and was just like "this isn't final fantasy."
    and over the years I've replayed the old games, but never past 6. I recently got VII and aim to give it a try soon.
    I was looking at footage from the later titles and I just couldn't fucking believe how different and bad ass they look.
    So I have a ps 3 now and I'm wondering: is there a really good one for PS3? Also, what are the best ones in general up to PS3? I'm thinking I can probably get a lot of them on the PS store. I'm ready for the future, 20 years late

  4. #244
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,015
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So ok. I was totally obsessed with final fantasy when I was a kid, but when they made the jump to PlayStation, I looked at FF7 and was just like "this isn't final fantasy."
    and over the years I've replayed the old games, but never past 6. I recently got VII and aim to give it a try soon.
    I was looking at footage from the later titles and I just couldn't fucking believe how different and bad ass they look.
    So I have a ps 3 now and I'm wondering: is there a really good one for PS3? Also, what are the best ones in general up to PS3? I'm thinking I can probably get a lot of them on the PS store. I'm ready for the future, 20 years late
    There's only really one for ps3 (FFXIII and it's sequels). PS2 era had FFX (considered one of the best) and FFXII (one of my least favorites).

    A lot of people aren't crazy about FFXIII. They feel it's too linear (which is true) and whatever other issues they have with it. I think it's great. Extremely fun battle system with a pretty cool, consistent story. Visually amazing as well.

    XII feels bland and lifeless to me. A lot of people enjoy it though.

    The visuals for the newer games post-first nine have been absolutely amazing while other aspects end up lacking. Something is missing in these games. XV is a very fun game but the story was lacking (a lot of it because of dlc purposes). Final fantasy visuals are probably the only real consistent thing now.

    Rant over.

  5. #245
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So ok. I was totally obsessed with final fantasy when I was a kid, but when they made the jump to PlayStation, I looked at FF7 and was just like "this isn't final fantasy."
    and over the years I've replayed the old games, but never past 6. I recently got VII and aim to give it a try soon. ...
    Is that a PSN version, an emulator, or the original PS discs?

    VII had a lot going for it in 1997. Certain elements of VII have not aged gracefully, but it still has a good experience to offer, for those who have the patience. Another great series entry was FF Tactics. There is probably a following that would champion FF IX over VII. IX is probably more reminiscent to the pre-VII era games but with considerably better graphics as it came out nearing the end of the original PlayStation lifespan.

    I personally found FF X and XII both to be so-so. Got about 20 hours into FF 13, put it down and haven't played any new series titles since.

  6. #246
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,692
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    Is that a PSN version, an emulator, or the original PS discs?

    VII had a lot going for it in 1997. Certain elements of VII have not aged gracefully, but it still has a good experience to offer, for those who have the patience. Another great series entry was FF Tactics. There is probably a following that would champion FF IX over VII. IX is probably more reminiscent to the pre-VII era games but with considerably better graphics as it came out nearing the end of the original PlayStation lifespan.

    I personally found FF X and XII both to be so-so. Got about 20 hours into FF 13, put it down and haven't played any new series titles since.
    this is the PSN version.
    Thanks for the tip on FF IX.
    I mostly only play NES and Super NES games, so if it was good in 97, I'll probably dig it now.
    The reason I didn't get into it is that I was initially put off by the 3D graphics.
    I was the same way about Zelda and have just started playing Ocarina of Time, which has really impressed me

  7. #247
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I mostly only play NES and Super NES games, so if it was good in 97, I'll probably dig it now.
    The reason I didn't get into it is that I was initially put off by the 3D graphics...
    FF VII had initially gone into development intended as a SNES title, but was later shifted to the more capable PlayStation. Can’t help but wonder how differently things would have turned out for the title and the franchise if they has seen it through as a SNES release, especially being at the tail end of that hardware’s lifespan.

  8. #248
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,015
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    FF VII had initially gone into development intended as a SNES title, but was later shifted to the more capable PlayStation. Can’t help but wonder how differently things would have turned out for the title and the franchise if they has seen it through as a SNES release, especially being at the tail end of that hardware’s lifespan.
    Probably would've been better as 2d sprites imo. Not sure how the world would've been though.

  9. #249
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,692
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    FF VII had initially gone into development intended as a SNES title, but was later shifted to the more capable PlayStation. Can’t help but wonder how differently things would have turned out for the title and the franchise if they has seen it through as a SNES release, especially being at the tail end of that hardware’s lifespan.
    So when you guys talk about it not having aged well, are you talking graphics?

    Also, has anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? (or advenceD, whatever it is.)

    I think I have that one on the old emulator

  10. #250
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So when you guys talk about it not having aged well, are you talking graphics?
    To this day I adore everything about the game because of nostalgia, but objectively yes, by today’s standards the character model graphics are very dated, the prerendered environmental backgrounds are still fine. By today’s standards, I’d guess many people would find the battle system antiquated and a chore to get through. And the game is fairly linear both in map progression and narrative, with only a few side quest options. No voice acting, and some very long battle animations, especially for summons. Maybe too many interchangeable characters that are underdeveloped.

    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Also, has anyone played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? (or advenceD, whatever it is.)

    I think I have that one on the old emulator
    I only had the PS FF Tactics. Probably also pretty easy to find on an emulator.

  11. #251
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,692
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    To this day I adore everything about the game because of nostalgia, but objectively yes, by today’s standards the character model graphics are very dated, the prerendered environmental backgrounds are still fine. By today’s standards, I’d guess many people would find the battle system antiquated and a chore to get through. And the game is fairly linear both in map progression and narrative, with only a few side quest options. No voice acting, and some very long battle animations, especially for summons. Maybe too many interchangeable characters that are underdeveloped.
    .
    This is why I'm SO happy that I DIDN'T keep up with video games.
    The last console I really got into was the N64, so today's standards don't mean anything to me, you know?
    This means I was able to buy a PS3 with 2 controllers and the big hard drive for like $90 either last year or the year before and have it be a stunning quantum leap forward.
    And I got most of the best games for under $10 each, and I am utterly blown away by the graphics of a lot of them. Hell, I'm still very impressed with Wii graphics!

    As far as the battle system, I still play Chrono Trigger and FF 4 and 6, and I fucking love the battle systems on those games. Is the FF7 system fairly similar?

  12. #252
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    As far as the battle system, I still play Chrono Trigger and FF 4 and 6, and I fucking love the battle systems on those games. Is the FF7 system fairly similar?
    The materia (materia being essentially congealed magic that can slot into armor or weapons enabling the bearer to use the magic) system adds some strategy and customizability to the characters, but yeah, if you’ve played the aforementioned games, it shouldn’t take long before the combat system feels familiar. Look at the screenshot, pretty self explanatory…





    Off topic, but The Legend of Dragoon was a pretty good RPG from its respective era. Stacks up well with the stuff coming from Square at that time.

  13. #253
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    The original PS1 version of FFTactics is the best I've been told, but I've never been too into that sort of isometric strategic combat... I keep meaning to give it a chance. It's supposed to have one of the best stories too.

    Elevenism, FFVII's combat is very similar to the original turn based ones. The PS4 rerelease fixed some issues, such as the overlong summons and long map treks by letting you speed the game up... though it also allowed you to go into god-mode, which was a bummer. I know, I know, you don't HAVE to use it, but it just sits there and tempts you.

    The original map area of VII is super-iconic. Midgar still looks amazing, and it has an atmosphere that no other game has. It just looks magical. That part, graphically, has aged incredibly well... unfortunately, that also highlights how horrible the character models look. No matter how good the design was, they look jokey, like a Lego game. Also, while some of the drama works, some of it totally is laughably bad... like Cid's story... I'll avoid spoilers, but try not to bust out laughing at that flashback sequence.

    The pacing is inconsistent, some of the humor is cringe-inducing... The music is phenomenal, the villain is the best FF villain ever... If they just took all the good aspects, tweaked some of the corny stuff, updated the graphics... they would have the best game ever. Unfortunately, the remake is looking like they're missing that point, and they're just reskinning FFXV... which, actually, could be cool. The combat in XV was great, and I loved the open world.

    We'll see... but the original is still one of the most iconic games ever, and it's worth playing even just to look at it as a piece of history, and the good parts REALLY live up to the hype, despite the bad.

    If you wanna grab a really good PS1 era JRPG that was seriously sadly overlooked, check out Suikoden 2. It's on the PSN store for PS3. That's an incredible game.

  14. #254
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,692
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    FF7 is gonna be my first rpg beyond the 16 bit era

  15. #255
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    773
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    FF7 is gonna be my first rpg beyond the 16 bit era
    I almost envy you. If you're up to it, once you start the game, keep us informed on your progress and how you feel about it. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on strengths, weaknesses, etc.

  16. #256
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    FF7 is gonna be my first rpg beyond the 16 bit era
    It's a game that pretty much everyone should play... I'll say this though, it's mostly top-heavy... the really REALLY great shit is in the first portion of the game. There's some incredible stuff throughout, but if it doesn't immediately pull you in, don't force yourself to keep going.

    It's one of my favorite JRPGs, which is my genre. Some other recommendations if you're on PS3, so you have PS1 classics.

    Suikoden 2
    Persona 5 (I almost forgot they made a PS3 version of this! GET IT)
    Final Fantasy X / X2 remaster (this game has maybe, on a whole, aged better than VII, and it's definitely prettier)
    Lunar 2 Eternal Blue (if you can find it)
    Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (you can get this disc for around 10 bucks, and it has practically every good Genesis game on it... including Phantasy Star 2 and 4, which are the best shit ever).,

  17. #257
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    714
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My favs were:
    FF IV (FF2 in the US). Mainly because it was on the Super Nintendo, and I thought it was amazing sound and graphics wise compared to my NES and FF1.
    FFXII, hated this when I first started...then loved it.
    FFVII

    I could never get into FFVI (FF3 US) for some reason...

  18. #258
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post

    I could never get into FFVI (FF3 US) for some reason...
    Weird... hehe. That's the one that everyone loves. It's maybe the first game that I said "wow" to when it first started up... The music, the whole opening sequence with the "slave crown," something about all that felt so nuanced but cinematic in a way video games didn't get.

    I could see now, however, how all of that awe would seem hilarious to anyone under the age of 30... not that I'm inferring you're young or that your opinion isn't completely valid, I just... it feels strange. It's like, to me, someone saying that the only Star Wars movie they didn't like was Empire Strikes Back.

  19. #259
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas Panhandle
    Posts
    5,692
    Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Here is my Final Fantasy story. I wonder if some of you can relate to the escapism aspect.

    For me, it started with Dragon Warrior (aka Dragon Quest.) That was my introduction to JRPGs, although at the time i just knew them as RPGs.
    My first subscription to Nintendo Power came with a copy of Dragon Warrior and a map and strategy guide.
    I loved everything about it. After that, i wanted every rpg i could get my hands on, including the Ultima games and Final Fantasy.

    Then the SNES came out and, oh my god, Final Fantasy II (aka IV) was just SO fucking incredible it was unreal.
    I had a really hard time in middle school and games like Final Fantasy II and Chrono Trigger became the ultimate form of escapism. I told myself that the GAMES were my actual life and all the shitty RL stuff that was happening wasn't real. In the games, not only was i accepted, i was celebrated. I was a hero.
    They meant SO fucking much to me and i don't know what i would have done without them.
    I didn't take the switch to 3D gaming very well. I got a N64 and a couple of games, but i took one look at Ocarina of Time and was just like "no."
    The same thing happened with Final Fantasy. My friend got Final Fantasy VII and i was REALLY put off by the 3D graphics.
    By that point i was 17 and caring less and less about video games anyway.
    And once i started drinking, there was no way i could play a video game.

    I got really seriously into emulators some years back and eventually soft-modded a Wii. I've got every NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, Gameboy and GBA game ever made on it. Those retro games remind me of my childhood and also give me a chance to play games that i missed.

    Then, a few years back i was looking at a gaming magazine and i couldn't believe that the pictures in the magazine were from video games. I was fucking stunned.
    So a year or two ago, i finally broke down and got a used PS3.
    I also recently got Ocarina of Time on the Nintendo Store, which i am currently playing, and have realized that i couldn't have been more wrong about it.

    It's fucking awesome not having played all these games because now they are cheap and there are a fuckton of them

    I still MOSTLY play games from the 90s, but i can't wait to dig into Final Fantasy VII and IX (after i finish Ocarina of time.)

    I guess i'm about 20 years late on both of those :P

  20. #260
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,314
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    For me, it started with Dragon Warrior (aka Dragon Quest.) That was my introduction to JRPGs, although at the time i just knew them as RPGs.
    My first subscription to Nintendo Power came with a copy of Dragon Warrior and a map and strategy guide.
    I loved everything about it. After that, i wanted every rpg i could get my hands on, including the Ultima games and Final Fantasy.
    This was exactly how I got into RPG's. Thank you for the nostalgia.

  21. #261
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    714
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Weird... hehe. That's the one that everyone loves. It's maybe the first game that I said "wow" to when it first started up... The music, the whole opening sequence with the "slave crown," something about all that felt so nuanced but cinematic in a way video games didn't get.

    I could see now, however, how all of that awe would seem hilarious to anyone under the age of 30... not that I'm inferring you're young or that your opinion isn't completely valid, I just... it feels strange. It's like, to me, someone saying that the only Star Wars movie they didn't like was Empire Strikes Back.
    I'm 36, but I understand your concern

    I think I got to the "gate" part and felt like I was wasting my time for some reason...or I found something else to play. This was playing it on an emulator maybe 12-13 years ago. I didn't have a Super Nintendo when I was growing up, so it definitely would've been different then. I got to play FF2 on my friend's, but never FF3. Same thing happened with Chrono Trigger. I had to wait until FF7 came out on PC before I finished that, but I did play quite a bit of it on (again) someone else's Playstation.

  22. #262
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    714
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    This was exactly how I got into RPG's. Thank you for the nostalgia.
    Mine too, Dragon Warrior was so fucking hard. I actually still have a memory of getting that from the store for some reason (Babbage's or EB Games I think).

  23. #263
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Mine too, Dragon Warrior was so fucking hard. I actually still have a memory of getting that from the store for some reason (Babbage's or EB Games I think).
    I'm playing Dragon Quest XI now... I think I'm roughly at the half-way part, and it's strange how incredibly unchallenging it is. Looks great, has a cute universe, but there's next to no challenge.

    Apparently when you beat it on PS4 it unlocks an emulated version of part 1. I'm actually looking forward to that.

  24. #264
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    A place both wonderful and strange
    Posts
    2,029
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    So ok. I was totally obsessed with final fantasy when I was a kid, but when they made the jump to PlayStation, I looked at FF7 and was just like "this isn't final fantasy."
    Replace this with FFXII or XIII and you have my experience, lol

    X was the last good one to me. It, and the games up to XIII slowly removed everything I loved about FF - an airship, a party, and finally any semblance of a world map. I picked up XV because I heard they at least brought that last back, but I've not been able to get myself to even start it *coughZeldacough*

    Side note: Tactics PS1 - re-translated and rechristened War Of The Lions on PSP - is a wonder to behold, does indeed have a great story and one of the best soundtracks in the whole series. If turn-based combat isn't your thing I'd honestly advocate emulated cheating or watching a walkthrough just to see the game unfold. So much fun.

    VI/SNES FFIII is life, it is love. Still the best in my eyes.

  25. #265
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    FFXV is a great game with a really terrible story... FFXII is seriously underrated. The new version is really a better game, since you can speed up the game while you're farming mobs or running around in some BS area. It's nowhere near as tedious as it was the first go around... I don't really like the dungeon designs but only that final area... the one with all the portals.... that's the only level where I almost rage quit this time through.

  26. #266
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    714
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I'm playing Dragon Quest XI now... I think I'm roughly at the half-way part, and it's strange how incredibly unchallenging it is. Looks great, has a cute universe, but there's next to no challenge.

    Apparently when you beat it on PS4 it unlocks an emulated version of part 1. I'm actually looking forward to that.
    Emulated part1 of Dragon Quest (Warrior)? Updated graphics or just the original Famicom (NES)?

  27. #267
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    714
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I actually liked Dragon Warrior 2 way more than the first, the music was incredible and it was nice to have a party.

  28. #268
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,647
    Mentioned
    350 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Emulated part1 of Dragon Quest (Warrior)? Updated graphics or just the original Famicom (NES)?
    I believe it's the original famicom version. I've gotten distracted by work and now Monster Hunter, but I am still pretty close to finishing DQXI, so I'll find out soon.

  29. #269
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,314
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I believe it's the original famicom version. I've gotten distracted by work and now Monster Hunter, but I am still pretty close to finishing DQXI, so I'll find out soon.
    From this article:

    While there are no photos of the PlayStation 4 version floating around at the time of writing, the folks at Nintendo Everything were able to get a screenshot of the 3DS version. Shockingly, the free version doesn't appear to be any of the Famicom, Game Boy, or Super Famicom versions, but an entirely new one. Personally, I'm blown away by this, as not only is this basically free, but that means Square Enix updated the game for two different types of hardware.

  30. #270
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    714
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Should I replay FFXII on PC (I beat it a loooong time ago), or buy XV and play through that? I doubt I'll have time for both.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions