Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Anyone else enjoy baking!?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

Anyone else enjoy baking!?

So COVID had me dust off my old baking ware and i started to make my own starter for sourdough. After many failed attempts I have finally made a loaf that is near perfect! (yet I was a little heavy handed with the flower on the outside)

https://imgur.com/a/TCLE74J

Anyone else bake as a means to kill time or for enjoyment?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Nice! I tried making a starter a few years ago, but it kinda stunk out the whole kitchen and my partner made me throw it out.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Oddly enough, I was a professional baker for a couple years. I worked at a shop called Cookie Bouquet, wherein I had to mass produce 12 kinds of cookies, and keep the sugar cookies coming for the bouquets.

I like to make a cornbread with corn it it: a LOT of corn. I got the recipe from my grandmother. She calls it "Cracklin' Bread."

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    In the months after COVID started I was baking a loaf of bread once a week, all fruit breads...a bunch of banana and a few lemon / blueberry & orange / cranberry. They were really good but after a while we all got breaded out. It may be time to revisit!

Sourdough seems intimidating even though it probably isn't.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I like to make a cornbread with corn it it: a LOT of corn. I got the recipe from my grandmother. She calls it "Cracklin' Bread."
    Oooooo!!! Can you share? PM me? Please?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    chocolate chip cookies are kind of my specialty. i baked a batch on sunday (which unfortunately means i barely got to eat any of them). no one can ever tell when i make them vegan--i'm that good

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Oooooo!!! Can you share? PM me? Please?
    There's really no trick to it, honestly.

You just add however many fucktons of canned corn to your cornbread mix that you would like, and sort of adjust the cooking time a little.

Two of the small cans in a 9x9 pan- you don't really have to adjust much.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    In the months after COVID started I was baking a loaf of bread once a week, all fruit breads...a bunch of banana and a few lemon / blueberry & orange / cranberry. They were really good but after a while we all got breaded out. It may be time to revisit!

Sourdough seems intimidating even though it probably isn't.
    How in the holy hell do you make THAT shit? It sounds stunning

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    preparing foodstuffs or the more cosmic variety?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    How in the holy hell do you make THAT shit? It sounds stunning
    They're all relatively easy and from recipes I found online. Nothing fancy. I'll track them down and post a bit later.

Edit:
    Here is the banana bread recipe. Super easy. No idea where it originated...it was sent by my son's teacher early in COVID lockdown as a fun activity. The substitution note is mine; I had premixed brown sugar and cinnamon I wanted to use so I added an 1/8 cup of that in place of white sugar. Add a 4th banana is you want to amp the banana.

Banana Bread

3/4 C Sugar **
    3 Large RIPE Bananas
    3/4 C Vegetable Oil
    2 Eggs
    2 C All Purpose Flour
    1 Tsp Baking Soda
    1 Tsp Baking Powder
    2 Tsp Vanilla
    1/2 Tsp Salt

Heat oven to 325 degrees
    Grease loaf pan with butter or spray
    Mix: Sugar, bananas, oil and eggs in a large bowl..then all other ingredients
    Pour into pan
    Bake for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean
    Use knife to loosen edges
    Remove Banana Loaf
    Wait until cool to slice

** Sub 1/8 C brown sugar & cinnamon

IMG_6534.jpg
    Last edited by cdm; 03-12-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Cranberry Orange Bread https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...-orange-bread/ There may be better ones out there, this is the first and only one I've tried.

I took two suggestions from the comments section and they worked well:

** “I used a full cup of orange juice and used frozen cranberries and increased the cranberries to 2 cups.”

** “I used 1 cup of light brown sugar instead of white.”

I also omitted the walnuts.

IMG_6987.jpg

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Blueberry Lemon Bread https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...ueberry-bread/

I made this one with no substitutions but omitted the walnuts. I did read a recommendation to stab the loaf a bunch of times like Patrick Bateman before drizzling the glaze to let it infuse the bread. It was good but it made the bread quite sour, which you may or may not be into. It should be noted the resultant glaze is very clear and liquid and does NOT cool to an opaque white glaze you sometimes see on lemon bread. I used frozen blueberries.

IMG_6542.jpg609028250.jpg

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I saw this olive bread that Alton Brown showed in Good Eats - I would love to bake it one day.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I found an Auntie Anne's pretzel recipe online and made them. For a first time, they weren't bad! Way too puffy - didn't make the strings skinny enough - but they tasted great. After seeing the Little Caesar's pretzel pizza thing I'm thinking of using the recipe to make a pizza.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I can make a simple apple pie. That's about as far as my baking goes.

The only other thing about baking that I know is this:

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    I have been cooking and getting better at baking over the last year. I’ve made quiche, pumpkin banana bread, chicken ranch chili, bacon potato soup, M&M cookies, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, cream cheese jelly/jam thumbprint cookies, enchiladas, and pierogies over the last year.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Oddly enough, I was a professional baker for a couple years.
    I was too! I worked at a little mum & pop shop right out of high school and worked under a master baker. I would get up around 2:30am and be to work at 3am to start baking breads and pastries, then on Saturdays we would head to a local farmer's market where other small business owners would show up with their goods for sale. Instead of buying oranges and bananas, we would barter with our bread for their goods and vice versa. It was a cool little system for the shops to interact with one another while selling their products to the general public. My mom was especially happy since I was bringing home fresh flowers for free every week.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @Magnetic , with that crackling bread, I forgot to tell you: make sure you drain the corn, so it's just corn: no liquid.
    Also, it works the best when you double, or even triple, the recipe: use two or three bags of cornbread mix.
    And when I say "adjust the cooking time," I mean cook it longer. I wish I had an exact time for you.
    I used to make this constantly in like 01 and 02. I've only started making it again, recently.

Next time I make it, I'll time it.
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-14-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Thanks for the extra info. It's been warmer here (80s during the day), but it might get cooler toward the end of the week. I'll give it a try if we get a rainy/ cloudy day. Otherwise the oven just heats up the house.