Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Cult of Luna

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cult of Luna

One the best post metal bands out there, their latest features a collaboration with Mark Lanegan.

Any fans here? A Dawn to Fear was my favourite metal album for 2019.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I need to get into this band, I keep hearing about them, I’ll get there eventually

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armogi View Post
    I need to get into this band, I keep hearing about them, I’ll get there eventually
    in the exact same boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Knowing that this is a NIN centric forum, I would recommend starting with:

VERTIKAL

The songwriting is based on electronics and synthetizers, a great post metal album, inspired by Metropolis (Fritz Lang) with themes about cities and the automatization of society.

Spotify
    Bandcamp

Here's a great live concert

MARINER

As you can see with the Alien inspired artwork, space and exploration are the themes around this record.

Julie Christmas sings on all of the songs, a great listen and Cygnus is just massive.

Spotify
    Bandcamp

If you like Mariner, here it is live in its entirety

Fun fact: Thomas Hedlund, their main drummer (there are two of them) plays in Phoenix and Iamiwhomami, he's one of the greats.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    yeah i'd actually recommend Mariner as an entry-point. julie's voice is amazing (you may recognize her from the greg puciato-involved first EP by Spylacopa) and matches the music perfectly. "the wreck of s.s. needle" is one of my favorite songs in existence.

wish their stuff was actually distributed by a US label because it's fucking EXPENSIVE to get the EU pressings.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    "the wreck of s.s. needle" is one of my favorite songs in existence.
    Yours and mine both!

In general, I think this band does not need a specific point of entry for a beginner. Their biggest change in sound happened between 1st and 2nd albums, afterwards they are pretty consistent IMO, both stylistically and quality-wise, with Mariner being the obvious exception due to female vocals (but musically it's still similar). Just pick any album, if you like it - you'll like all of them.