Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson Sexual Abuse Allegations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Marilyn Manson Sexual Abuse Allegations

Evan Rachel Wood has finally named Manson as her abuser. For some reason the Instagram post won’t link, but it’s on her official account
    Last edited by WorzelG; 02-01-2021 at 06:01 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Evan Rachel Wood has finally named Manson as her abuser. For some reason the Instagram post won’t link, but it’s on her official account
    Before this becomes a Manson thread takeover, I want to address this - there hasn’t been any decision about the future of the Manson thread mainly because we just don’t talk about it. Speaking for myself, I think it’s because we all hate what it eventually turns into every time it’s given a chance to breathe. We do have a thread for this particular subject in the headlines forum, so I’d take discussion over there. I’d also ask each of you to be cordial about it because we’ll shut that down too if it turns into what happened the last time we closed the Manson thread.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Before this becomes a Manson thread takeover, I want to address this - there hasn’t been any decision about the future of the Manson thread mainly because we just don’t talk about it. Speaking for myself, I think it’s because we all hate what it eventually turns into every time it’s given a chance to breathe. We do have a thread for this particular subject in the headlines forum, so I’d take discussion over there. I’d also ask each of you to be cordial about it because we’ll shut that down too if it turns into what happened the last time we closed the Manson thread.
    i think we should move worzelg’s post to the sexual asshatery thread. having a discussion about this in an opinion thread will only lead to victim blaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Got a text from a friend asking if I wanted the book or the "God Is..." on VHS. I said she should go make a buck on eBay with it, some gonad will buy it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poinoup View Post
    Got a text from a friend asking if I wanted the book or the "God Is..." on VHS. I said she should go make a buck on eBay with it, some gonad will buy it.
    I'll probably sell my cds too, or trade for anothers in a store.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    I'll probably sell my cds too, or trade for anothers in a store.

Those are already gone. She didn't care about limited editions, vinyls or the like. I think I should go find that book and that VHS here and go have a little campfire.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Thought this was an important read.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Manager Tony Ciulla has now dropped Manson

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Never liked this guy. Never got into any of his music. Glad I never did.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Sorry for four posts in a row - just finding out about all this now. Been away.

Anyway, just read that story about the “fish woman” thing for the first time. Umm, why would he have something published like that in the first place? Would want to? What publisher would let someone, even? I’m at a loss after reading that.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Sorry for four posts in a row - just finding out about all this now. Been away.

Anyway, just read that story about the “fish woman” thing for the first time. Umm, why would he have something published like that in the first place? Would want to? What publisher would let someone, even? I’m at a loss after reading that.
    Yeah. Like, I don't understand why Trent didn't throw a lawsuit at Manson for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Yeah. Like, I don't understand why Trent didn't throw a lawsuit at Manson for that.
    Maybe some weird legal reasons? More legal trouble than it’s worth? Someone or a label advising not to? This was the 90s after all, had this book come out in today’s climate I think the reaction would have been very different. I have no idea. When no one believed it at the time, why go through the money and trouble and giving it more attention?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Surely a lawsuit for libel requires proof that it was a lie. How do you prove a fictional account didn’t happen?
    isn’t the problem with assault more generally being able to prove something? Didn’t the book also claim it was part fiction or something? Although I haven’t read it to be honest, this is just going on clippings etc

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I keep seeing this question pop up and I don’t think people know how hard it was to actually win a defamation case in the US.

You have a few things that you have to prove to win: 1. That the person intentionally made a false statement about you to multiple people.
    2. That the statement is irrefutably false.
    3. That the person made a false statement with the intention to harm you.
    4. That the statement did harm you in some practical way (like you lost your job or something.)

Of those four things you must prove, only one of them is easy - Manson obviously told many people this story. But how do you prove the rest? How do you prove that something didn’t happen? How do you prove that Manson’s intent was to harm Trent rather than to just make himself look interesting? At the time, this story didn’t really hurt Trent’s reputation with the public either.

Celebrities can’t just run around suing every person who lies about them, no matter how cruel the lie is. There simply isn’t enough hours in the day to do that sort of thing because it’s constant in their world. I’m sure at the time it didn’t seem worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    i also don’t understand why he didn’t sue but i’m wondering if it had something do with his previous legal battles with his manager. didnt he sue malm during the nineties? watching my friends get divorce has been eye opening on the lawyer front. it’s expensive and draining.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    i also don’t understand why he didn’t sue but i’m wondering if it had something do with his previous legal battles with his manager. didnt he sue malm during the nineties? watching my friends get divorce has been eye opening on the lawyer front. it’s expensive and draining.
    The Malm thing was 2004 / 2005 I believe just before With Teeth was released, I remember because I had access to Pacer the US court thing through my work and looked it up out of interest. As I recall it wasn’t even Trent who instigated it, it was Malm after he was fired and sued for unpaid owing, then Trent counter sued and the whole thing was combined into one case and it was reported like a typical artist suing manager thing

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    The Malm stuff was 2004 to 2005 I believe. But yeah still wonder why Trent didn’t sue Manson for the stuff in that book if it offended/infuriating him so much, and it would definitely count as damaging to his image. Maybe he was advised not to...?

edit: ok just say eachpassingphases post that makes sense too
    Last edited by Disassociative; 02-06-2021 at 07:34 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I never thought anything about manson was just a "persona," since the time I was exposed to his band opening for NIN in 94.

He always seemed like a legitimately pretty twisted dude to me. I stopped with Smells Like Children. I didn't keep listening to it because it honestly creeped me out.

I guess I'm surprised that ANYONE is surprised about rape/abuse allegations against this dude, or trying to claim he wouldn't do such things.

I really wouldn't put ANYTHING past that guy, I guess, is what I'm saying.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I never thought anything about manson was just a "persona," since the time I was exposed to his band opening for NIN in 94.

He always seemed like a legitimately pretty twisted dude to me. I stopped with Smells Like Children. I didn't keep listening to it because it honestly creeped me out.

I guess I'm surprised that ANYONE is surprised about rape/abuse allegations against this dude, or trying to claim he wouldn't do such things.

I really wouldn't put ANYTHING past that guy, I guess, is what I'm saying.
    I remember walking past a CD store when I was 9 or something and seeing the album cover and "Smells Like Children" title and was genuinely uneasy.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Interestingly enough, not me. I knew as a teenager that it was all shtick. The fact that he’s a piece of shit regardless is sort of a separate issue. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Interestingly enough, not me. I knew as a teenager that it was all shtick. The fact that he’s a piece of shit regardless is sort of a separate issue. Just my opinion.
    I think it all comes from the same insanely dark place. And while this may sound absurd to most of you, I sort of came to that conclusion at church camp when I was like, 14. I had written "Marilyn Manson" on my red Doc Martin's, (among other shit,) and I had some albums with me- including some fairly rough stuff like TDS.
    But, throughout the week, I started feeling pretty fucking weird about that Manson album. I started catching a vibe of like, "this dude REALLY isnt kidding.and this ISNT just art." Then there was Smells Like Children, which, like @Erneuert said, yeah...even the title of that shit was pretty damned creepy. And then, the book was disturbing.
    Add the little beef with TR, and I was out before he really even hit his stride.

I still dig that first album. It's like, somewhat kitschy, perhaps?
    But I mean, Jesus: hearing things over the years like the deaf groupie story, or the "I cut myself for.every time you didn't answer my call," all that shit sort of served to affirm that my feelings about him were right.
    Perhaps the SHOW is a shtick, but I think it all comes from someone who.genuinely is all about breaking every societal boundary: like that William S Burroughs book that says "nothing is sacred,.everything is permitted."

And I think that means EVERYTHING.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-05-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I grew up as a latchkey kid. I'd come home from school to an empty house, and watch TV for a couple hours until my parents came home. Then we'd have dinner, where I'd hear them tell me how terrible their days at work were, and then they'd just watch TV all night. Listening to moral condemnation of everything from my parents, and then hearing it echoed on talk show hosts and news shows, Marilyn Mason sounded like a relief. For me it meant acceptance of life, even if it may not be perfect, and accepting the gritty sides that get looked down on, and maybe shouldn't be.

And listening to him talk about the media, and the messages that I interpreted from his music, it helped me recognize that a lot of the condemnation I was hearing was harmful and unnecessary. In that way, his music and his early interviews had a positive impact on me. And I'd imagine that it had an even better positive impact on other peoples lives.

And I guess it's easier for me to take someone who I once looked at positively and acknowledge their faults, because my mother was simultaneously condemning everyone she could see in one way or another while stealing from the credit union that she worked for. I know what it's like when someone who you once looked up to is revealed to have been doing something terrible. I would have given a lot for that to have not been true, so I can understand the denial. But it is true. It is what happened.

The same person can both have a positive influence in one way, and be a horrible monster in another way. You can have been positively influenced by Manson at one point, as also be horrified and recognize the monster that he is. These things are not mutually exclusive.

Regardless of anything else though, he belongs in jail at this point. And while I'm not optimistic that he'll see the inside of a cell, I hope he does.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    From 1989-2006 I thought he was, ultimately, a nerdy and harmless eccentric who acted scary and provocative to make a point and provide a show. After that I felt he became a cringily melodramatic emotional exhibitionist. I kind of tuned out after born villain, so can't really comment. But outside of being an addled deadbeat cheater and perhaps a bit neurotic, no, I didn't think he was abusive - and I wasn't aware that was a generally held perception? It's just mind-blowing to think that so much of his stuff is to be taken at face value - particularly the lyrics on later albums. Sorry for rambling on, but it is truly shocking

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Coming from a woman who fucked a minor, anyone surprised?
    [TRIGGER WARNING ON THE LINK]

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK7klr_JcJu/
    Last edited by firewlker; 02-05-2021 at 08:29 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firewlker View Post
    Coming from a woman who fucked a minor, anyone surprised?
    TRIGGER WARNING on this, I advise anyone who’s been abused or assaulted NOT to read this linked IG post.

It’s still bothering me, I wish I wouldn’t have read it. It’s terrible stuff posted by Asia Argento.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-05-2021 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    TRIGGER WARNING on this, I advise anyone who’s been abused or assaulted NOT to read this linked IG post.

It’s still bothering me, I wish I wouldn’t have read it. It’s terrible stuff posted by Asia Argento.

Edited the post to add the TW as I shoulded made it before, I apologize for that.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yeah, that’s gross. She’s awful.

Wish I had better words to describe Asia but I don’t.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    That way Asia can say she was always there for him, even in the darkest times. Also:

Just about to head out to the bin.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    wait... I guess I might be missing something. Are Asia Argento and Manson a couple now?

I just... I just hate all this bullshit.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    wait... I guess I might be missing something. Are Asia Argento and Manson a couple now?

I just... I just hate all this bullshit.
    I don't think so, but she directed that video you mentioned earlier. Which given the timeline, was lyrically probably about Rose McGowan. It's all too weird mate