Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Dinosaur Jr.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

Dinosaur Jr.

How there is no thread for Dino is beyond me. One of the best and most influential indie bands of all time. 1987's "You're Living All Over Me" is one of my top 5 fav albums ever and is groundbreaking. Without J Mascis paving the way, there is no Kurt and Nirvana...A discography that is fucking flawless. Even their "weak" albums (mid to late 90s Without A Sound/Hand It Over era) are damn good. Also one of the few bands who reunited and is STILL putting out great albums and great concerts rather than living off their past (lookin at you Billy Corgan). Their new stuff easily sits alongside their 1980s/1990s output. Mascis has settled into the indie/alt rock/ godfather role along with the likes of Thurston Moore and Stephen Malkmus. I think J is the Neil Young for the 1990s generation....Perfect fucking band

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    just one of the myriad reasons that the Judgement Night Sdtk is literally perfect.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Dinosaur Jr.

Never was really all that familiar with them, but I've been checking of their catalog recently, and getting into them. Really kick-ass guitar solos from an indie-band. I never realized how good J Mascis is. I really like this from their most recent album:

And of course I know their big hit:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Wow we didn't already have a dinosaur jr thread? I've been a fan of them for a few years, but they've been slowly climbing my list this past year to becoming one of my favorite bands. Not a bad album in the bunch, and J's solo stuff is great too.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Wow we didn't already have a dinosaur jr thread? I've been a fan of them for a few years, but they've been slowly climbing my list this past year to becoming one of my favorite bands. Not a bad album in the bunch, and J's solo stuff is great too.
    I couldn't find a thread in the bands listed thread or a search. I was surprised.

ETA--found one with one reply.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-30-2021 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    New album, 'Sweep It Into Space', out April 2. First 300 vinyl pre-orders receive a signed insert. I ordered one, but there's no way to know if I made it into the first 300. Fingers crossed!

First single, 'I Ran Away', available now. Sounds like Dinosaur Jr. to me!
    Last edited by imail724; 02-23-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just announced a Fall tour. Who knows if it will actually happen, but they're planning on coming to NY in November and I've got my tickets.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

My pre-order shipped this morning! Not getting my hopes up about actually receiving it by Friday, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Been on a heavy Dino Jr/J Mascis kick lately.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I realize I'm pretty much talking to myself here, but another classic album from Dino Jr! Can't believe there aren't more fans here. One of the most consistently good bands, especially considering how long they've been around. They haven't missed a beat IMO.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    New album rips. J has yet to release a bad album

Seems like NIN fans are not into indie rock at all (in ETS terms) yet some washed up has been from the 80s Gary Numan gets all kinds of love and that clown Maynard is practically worshipped....whatevs man. J Mascis continues to be a genius and release brilliant album after brilliant album

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Funny I saw this thread. A few weeks ago I started wondering about what Dinosaur Jr. sounds like and what sort of people listen to them.
    I've mostly been watching Youtube videos of live performances. Pretty good so far. J Mascis seems like a charisma vacuum. It's as if someone turned his volume knob all the way down.

I have also been enjoying Lou Barlow's Sebadoh. Does anyone remember years ago (maybe around The Slip) Lou Barlow was talking trash about Trent and NIN when they were on the same festivals, and Trent responded something to the effect of "I guess being irrelevant makes you cranky." ?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I have also been enjoying Lou Barlow's Sebadoh. Does anyone remember years ago (maybe around The Slip) Lou Barlow was talking trash about Trent and NIN when they were on the same festivals, and Trent responded something to the effect of "I guess being irrelevant makes you cranky." ?[/video]
    Weird, I looked this up and found the post on NIN Wiki where Trent said that quote, but can't seem to find any info on what it was that Lou actually said.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    J gets a kick out of trolling people. He has a very dark sense of humor and is usually the smartest guy in the room. Sometimes his "aloof" act is done on purpose. He's stated many times he loves Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Eric Andre Show. He loves to troll interviewers but when he is comfortable, he is real talkative. He did Marc Marons podcast a few years ago and had a blast with it and was talking the entire time. But this is classic J trolling the shit out of Kennedy on MTV. Cringe humor at its best a decade before The Office

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    J gets a kick out of trolling people. He has a very dark sense of humor and is usually the smartest guy in the room. Sometimes his "aloof" act is done on purpose. He's stated many times he loves Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Eric Andre Show. He loves to troll interviewers but when he is comfortable, he is real talkative. He did Marc Marons podcast a few years ago and had a blast with it and was talking the entire time. But this is classic J trolling the shit out of Kennedy on MTV. Cringe humor at its best a decade before The Office

Another good one

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I love Dinosaur Jr, but I haven't had a chance to hear the new record yet.

EDIT: Holy shit... did he get the lyrics for "Feel the Pain" from the interview with Kennedy?

"I feel the pain of all human beings"

Mascis: "that's beautiful"
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-28-2021 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I love Dinosaur Jr, but I haven't had a chance to hear the new record yet.

EDIT: Holy shit... did he get the lyrics for "Feel the Pain" from the interview with Kennedy?

"I feel the pain of all human beings"

Mascis: "that's beautiful"
    Lol I had the same thought. At first I thought she was making a reference to the song but then I realized he was promoting Where You Been, which came out a year or two before Without A Sound. Pretty funny if it was just a subliminal thing that stuck with him.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    First leg of the upcoming tour (Sep-Oct) have been postponed due to Delta. I've got tickets for Nov, so we'll see if those dates end up getting moved too.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New album from J. Mascis, What Do We Do Now, is out today.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    J's consistency across all of his projects is pretty unparalleled. I don't think he's released anything, Dino Jr, solo, or side project, that I haven't dug. This record's no different.