Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Black Light Burns

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Ah nice one! Sure most of it is just trickery and him goofing around, but there are some nice ideas floating around and one can already sense some of his later riffs and tones. I used to have some stuff, but it's gone apparently. Can't find anything... but looks like he already dropped some of it and will be releasing 23 records (!?) soon over the coming weeks. Cool little trip down nostalgia lane to tie us over until he releases proper new music:

https://www.theprp.com/2020/04/13/news/limp-bizkits-wes-borland-shares-material-from-his-goatslayer-project/

Last edited by dlb; 04-15-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Some tidbits from the live Q&A Wes did with Dan Carter from BBC today, or at least what I could catch over on Instagram.

Eat The Day

- Jimmy Iovine proposed our dear Trent to do vocals for ETD, but we all know why that didn't come to fruition... There is a certain band called NIN after all.
    - Maynard told Wes to let the tracks stand as instrumentals as they do not need vocals according to him
    - They had found about 3 singers they were happy with, but Interscope wasn't happy so they blocked the release (Wes mentioned the name of two of these guys, but I forgot to note them down...)
    - Wes apparently had some kind of retainer deal with Interscope after his departure from LB so they would have indeed let him make an album under his name or with another band of his

Black Light Burns
    - new BLB record is almost finished. Travis Barker did 22 tracks and Wes alluded to 17 finished songs
    - no touring in mind as of now
    - Danny Lohner might get involved with the record

Big Dumb Face
    - new Big Dumb Face could turn out to be a christmas record due out this year or/and a resurrection of Duke Lion

Solo
    - new solo record is also coming called "The Astral Hand" (?!). The two tracks he released earlier are part of that, record consists of 9 "long-ish" songs with everything done by Wes only despite some drums
    - he would love to do soundtracks and scores like TR and Atticus in the future

Goatslayer
    - Goatslayer has around 6h of music to be released. Current plan is to release 20 records along the way with the music not to be taken too serious

Manson
    - Wes was with the band for 8 months, but stepped out of it as Manson wanted the next record to be all Twiggy as it's been his "comeback" to the band, Wes didn't want to sit in the back obviously

Limp Bizkit
    - Limp Bizkit has 35 instrumentals finished with Fred Durst still working on vocals, several whole songs are finished and they had around 3-4 studio sessions within the last 4 years. They aim to release a record with 11 songs, "slowly getting there".
    - reason for Wes quitting the band earlier comes down to himself, his ego and being thrown off by his idols remarks about the band itself. He has grown up and is confident with what he has achieved with LB though, calling it "my band" and doesn't take it personal if people like Claypool etc. have nothing good to say about it

Am I bored? Yes! But I love the guy still and I actually dig BLB and ETD so there you go. Nice interview!
    Last edited by dlb; 04-17-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Thanks for the summary, annoyed I missed it live and can't find any recording! I was kind of bummed the Manson thing didn't work out, could have avoided two garbage albums if he had used Wes' music instead of Twiggy's.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Yeah although I'm not too fond of Carter's interview style he usually conducts nice ones as he gets the other person to just speak. And I'd really love to interview Wes in the future myelf! He fits a format like this very well as he's got insane stories to tell and has been invovled with pretty much every musician that we like. Bonus points for thim for mentioning Russian Circles, Godspeed! You Black Emperor and Explosions in the Sky as inspiration for his instrumental work.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    making my way through the Eat The Day demos and i love them so much. it sounds like wes joined ISIS (the band) and it's just so up my alley haha.

super excited about the new solo album. i put "crystal machete" on my turntable a week or so ago and it's just so great from beginning to end.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it sounds like wes joined ISIS (the band) and it's just so up my alley haha.
    Oh, shit! That is mine, too. I've gotta cue that up!

Update: WHOA! Spot on!
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 04-20-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    6 more songs incoming . Let's hope he's got some unreleased blb stuff to release on us soon!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Let's hope he's got some unreleased blb stuff to release on us soon!
    If he has unreleased BLB material, he's probably already using them for the songs Travis played on. Either way, we'll be getting new BLB.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Ah sneaky Wes, he did indeed talk about a handful of Eat the Day songs and he's overwhelmed by the positive feedback. Nice that he has something up his sleeve!

After having listened to the demos more and also the new stuff, I could only picture maynard adding to them or indeed have Aaron Turner do it (don't know if they know each other, I'd guess so by now). But overall he's right.. the songs are so dense, rich and full of music, it's hard to sing over them.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    EDIT: found it @voidnz

Last edited by Reznor2112; 04-20-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    is that Wes or Hugh Jackman? :lol

at any rate, this thread got me to listen to the demos and the Crystal Machete album. Brilliant effort on both of them. I've listened to the BLB albums and I'm not sure what it was about them but I like them while at the same time not. Then again I think I approached the albums with a "this is the guy who kills it in LB" and was looking for meaty guitar. It's there, but it's also not. In the end I think it's just a matter of right album wrong time so I'm going to go through them again - since I rarely delete anything - and I bet I'll enjoy them now. Amazing what time can do for you and your musical tastes.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Getting around to listening to the Eat The Day demos -- dAda on first listen is great. Would love to have heard the demos with Chris Shinn's vocals - but also 2001 era Maynard singing over this wouldve been lovely too...but wouldve been APC2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not 100% sure where to post this, but Wes's new solo album The Astral Hand (the follow-up to Crystal Machete) is out now on streaming services, and should be available for purchase soon (though no physical copies for now, alas).

Listening now -- it's good.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    That font reminds me of Existential Reckoning.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    That font reminds me of Existential Reckoning.
    Yeah, but it's the same as on Crystal Machete album from 2016

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    For anyone wanting a vinyl copy of The Moment You Realize You're Going to Fall... the record label that released it is selling the remaining copies they have for $4.99 brand new on Amazon. Just snagged a copy. ONLY 4 LEFT as of when I posted.

This is the Yellow/White vinyl with download code. Also noticed the album was pulled off of Spotify.

https://www.amazon.com/Moment-Realiz...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I live around the block from the record shop that's owned by the same people that own Brookvale records and they always have a million copies of this for I think 9.99.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    For anyone wanting a vinyl copy of The Moment You Realize You're Going to Fall... the record label that released it is selling the remaining copies they have for $4.99 brand new on Amazon. Just snagged a copy. ONLY 4 LEFT as of when I posted.

This is the Yellow/White vinyl with download code. Also noticed the album was pulled off of Spotify.

three now! thanks!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I live around the block from the record shop that's owned by the same people that own Brookvale records and they always have a million copies of this for I think 9.99.
    Ahhh good call -- looks like they are selling them on their site currently for $6.99 -- well I guess either way its supporting them. Guess they did a much larger pressing and didnt promote it as much as they may have needed to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A couple months ago Wes posted on Instagram that he was aware that the album was no longer available digitally and was going to rectify that ASAP with some bonuses. Maybe he’s busy with LB stuff.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Welp - the $4.99 copies are gone and its back to the Amazon supplied ones for $29 -- but Brookvale's site still has them for $6.99 with "24-hour delivery from order date" for those that missed out.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Punching myself for not jumping onto Crystal Machete when it came out. Dove into it this week and love it...

Anyone willing to sell/trade their vinyl copy? If so, DM me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    but Brookvale's site still has them for $6.99 with "24-hour delivery from order date" for those that missed out.
    I forgot to thank you for posting this! My copy arrived in the mail yesterday. Great deal!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Ahhh good call -- looks like they are selling them on their site currently for $6.99 -- well I guess either way its supporting them. Guess they did a much larger pressing and didnt promote it as much as they may have needed to.
    Thanks. Grabbed one. Shipping killed the deal though.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Thanks. Grabbed one. Shipping killed the deal though.
    Oh Really? Damn -- the Amazon one shipped for $5. What did they charge you on the actual site?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Oh Really? Damn -- the Amazon one shipped for $5. What did they charge you on the actual site?
    Roughly 15.00 something. The shipping was 6.99 USD.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 11-05-2021 at 10:05 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Damn!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Damn!
    If you're anywhere near Long Island, Looney Tunes in Babylon is owned by the same people as Brookvale Records and they always have a ton of these in the store.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wes posted on Instagram a few days ago that the Big Dumb Face Christmas album is done and will likely release before the holiday. I am beyond elated that this has turned out to be a real thing.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'm excited for it too