Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: nincollector.com compromised?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

nincollector.com compromised?

This might be old news, I'm not sure (I'm not very active here anymore). But when I tried to look up some details about a NIN release, I typed in nincollector.com as I used to do and got redirected to some weird website with (obvious) fake news items. Anyone else notice this?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    You'll want nincatalog.com, not nincollector.com

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks, Levi. I know about the other site, but what the hell happened to nincollector? Do you know?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    Thanks, Levi. I know about the other site, but what the hell happened to nincollector? Do you know?
    Well -

It was originally run by Franco Stancato, who at one point went so far as to include audio from every release, in multiple formats, which resulted in him getting sued by Universal. I don't have direct details, but I'd heard he had to return all the promos he'd collected. Either way, it was not a great scene. Mike Grove took over nincollector.com, and then in 2005 or 2006, he'd handed it over to Jay DeBard from Burning Souls (super OG) - I had asked if I could take over curation of the site, but Mike had relayed that if NIN Hotline took over NIN Collector, he wouldn't allow Mike to pass along the photos, requiring that I rescan everything. Maybe he was mad because I always gave him a hard time about watermarking his images. Whatever. In 2009, Andrew Foeller launched nincatalog.com - a variation on a theme, and nowhere near as locked down. In fact one of the first things Andrew did was send me a copy of the code, images, database backup... the whole nine yards. At this point, I paid more attention to nincatalog than nincollector at this point. In 2012, Mike Grove started selling off his collection, which is where I was able to finally purchase the VHS for the Fragility 1.0 concert (which ultimately led to my acquiring the digital betacam copy of the same). By 2014, our own @bgalbraith was managing nincatalog, and rewrote the underlying codebase. Now I think most of the updates to nincatalog are handled by ETS's own @spahn

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Well -

It was originally run by Franco Stancato, who at one point went so far as to include audio from every release, in multiple formats, which resulted in him getting sued by Universal. I don't have direct details, but I'd heard he had to return all the promos he'd collected. Either way, it was not a great scene. Mike Grove took over nincollector.com, and then in 2005 or 2006, he'd handed it over to Jay DeBard from Burning Souls (super OG) - I had asked if I could take over curation of the site, but Mike had relayed that if NIN Hotline took over NIN Collector, he wouldn't allow Mike to pass along the photos, requiring that I rescan everything. Maybe he was mad because I always gave him a hard time about watermarking his images. Whatever. In 2009, Andrew Foeller launched nincatalog.com - a variation on a theme, and nowhere near as locked down. In fact one of the first things Andrew did was send me a copy of the code, images, database backup... the whole nine yards. At this point, I paid more attention to nincatalog than nincollector at this point. In 2012, Mike Grove started selling off his collection, which is where I was able to finally purchase the VHS for the Fragility 1.0 concert (which ultimately led to my acquiring the digital betacam copy of the same). By 2014, our own @bgalbraith was managing nincatalog, and rewrote the underlying codebase. Now I think most of the updates to nincatalog are handled by ETS's own @spahn
    Mike's collection dump was a very good day for some of us.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'll also add that nincatalog.com is more comprehensive than any of those older sites.

The rarity grading is more realistic as well.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    I'll also add that nincatalog.com is more comprehensive than any of those older sites.

The rarity grading is more realistic as well.
    Thank you! We are working on updating the grading scale as some of it is a little outdated.