Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2021

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Was checking out some Adam Ant stuff on YouTube today and came across this interview (note the shirt):

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    For fans of Animal Crossing:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Yeah, at one point he said he would try that out... but it was prior to COVID so who knows.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Nope. The short is only 5 minutes, and takes place before Joe Gardner enters the story, so no Jazz. Plus, I highly doubt that Trent & Atticus wrote music specifically for this short (or the other SOUL Pixar Popcorn short). Pixar always does additional animation for every movie: Shorts, Promo videos, etc, etc, etc, and they know that in advance. I'm sure they got lots of additional TR+AR material to use for the many projects, such as these. This is probably not the last time we'll hear more unreleased SOUL material. I've been working on projects for Walt Disney Records for over 20 years now, and I have some insight of how they operate. So the good news, is that it's probably something more exciting than this 5 minute short that Batiste had nothing to do with.
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    If I had to guess, it's probably this https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/22...ey-1234633329/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atomobile View Post
    Plus, I highly doubt that Trent & Atticus wrote music specifically for this short (or the other SOUL Pixar Popcorn short). Pixar always does additional animation for every movie
    While I'm not disputing this as it's probably true, TR said several times that they experienced script rewrites and entire characters and scenes coming and going throughout the whole writing/recording process. Maybe this short is one of those scenes that got cut.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This short was made AFTER Soul wrapped up. The editor of SOUL gathered some animators who worked on the film, and directed this short AFTER Soul. They already had the designs and backgrounds, so it was a pretty easy process, compared to the movie (plus it's only 5 minutes). Also, EVERY SINGLE PIXAR MOVIE goes through re-writes, and entire characters and scenes being deleted. This is not unique to this film, but this short is NOT an outtake or deleted scene. It was written exclusively by Josh Cooley (director of Toy Story 4) AFTER Soul was made. It was directed by Kevin Nolting who started working on this AFTER he completed editing the film SOUL. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just letting you know that you can do a quick search and find lots of interviews with the people who made this which explain all this. It's not a mystery. Regarding the music, which is what we care about the most here, I don't know how else to explain this. Like I said, I've been working on and off on projects with Walt Disney Records since the late 1990s and have a really good idea on how things work there. I promise you that Pixar has LOTS of extra material from TR+AR. Not only does a lot of the music go unused when all is done, but PIXAR anticipates that there will be Promotional animation such as for shorts, theme parks, etc, etc and may ask for even more additional material for those purposes. And again, you will hear more of this "unreleased" SOUL music in the future. If they were to create a theme park attraction or something more complex, then they would probably bring TR+AR in again to write new material, but they don't do that for the "PIXAR POPCORN" shorts, nor the usual shorts that are made for home video. If these had been normal times, "22 vs Earth" would have been made exclusively for the Home Video extras, as they had done with MOST of their movies in the past. But because of Covid, not only did the "Burrow" short not make it to the 4K/Blu-ray/DVD, neither did "22 vs. Earth."
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    While I'm not disputing this as it's probably true, TR said several times that they experienced script rewrites and entire characters and scenes coming and going throughout the whole writing/recording process. Maybe this short is one of those scenes that got cut.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    ^ So... box set confirmed?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I sure hope so! Another guarantee, TR+AR will work on additional projects for PIXAR. And I wouldn't doubt it if Disney tried to nab them for one of their projects (outside of Pixar). I'm going to cry the first time I hear TR+AR's music at Disneyland...
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ So... box set confirmed?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So, TRAR already scored watchmen, what about them scoring a marvel movie/series?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonso99 View Post
    So, TRAR already scored watchmen, what about them scoring a marvel movie/series?
    If they score a Star Wars series on Disney+ I would probably lose it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    But which project could their style work for? Maybe Blade? Moon Knight? Armor Wars? What if it were for one of the upcoming Star Wars shows, like The Book of Boba Fett? I admit that Disney will likely want to keep things in the realm of traditional John Williams-esque type of score with most of the Star Wars shows & moives, but you never know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    But which project could their style work for? Maybe Blade? Moon Knight? Armor Wars? What if it were for one of the upcoming Star Wars shows, like The Book of Boba Fett? I admit that Disney will likely want to keep things in the realm of traditional John Williams-esque type of score with most of the Star Wars shows & moives, but you never know.
    Secret Invasions!? Sign me up!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Literally just read that. And it's a weird confluence in that I read it on a post from guy I only know from @Leviathant so its turtles all the way down over here.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    What is it exactly? Remix? Single collab? TR vocals over a HEALTH track?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    What is it exactly? Remix? Single collab? TR vocals over a HEALTH track?
    It's not a remix. I think that's all I can say. We had a sign an NDA. Heard the track on Oscar night.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    What is it about the month of May that always brings the best NIN news/updates? I feel like this is always true.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    What is it about the month of May that always brings the best NIN news/updates? I feel like this is always true.
    His birthday.

TA-DA!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I mean Marvel already used NIN in two trailers. After the success of Soul, I don't think anything is impossible anymore...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

NIN Spotting 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    His birthday.

TA-DA!!
    Mmm yep... I know his birthday is in May.
    I meant the plethora of other things that have been released/announced within the month of May, both now and in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by magnolia; 05-03-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    EL-P talks about his second album and working with TR/NIN amongst others for a minute in this podcast - the episode is called "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" and the part starts at around 39:00: https://starburns.audio/podcasts/what-had-happened-was/

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    EL-P talks about his second album and working with TR/NIN amongst others for a minute in this podcast - the episode is called "I'll Sleep When You're Dead" and the part starts at around 39:00: https://starburns.audio/podcasts/what-had-happened-was/
    It's kind of crazy how 2007 was the year Trent went deep into hip-hop and rap. Between NiggyTardust, Flyentology, and some of the beats on Year Zero, he was definitely in a certain mindset at that time. I'd love to see him do more work like that.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Found this spotting while reading the blog EL-P started in 2006 to chronicle the making of his album. He mentions Flyentology in a post from August 26:

one of the reasons that it takes me so long to make records (apart from the fact that i lead a double life as a record label owner and producer) is that my process is demented to say the least. most of the songs you've ever heard from me are 6, 7 or 8 times removed from what the original attempt sounded like. i build entire songs musically that end up getting scrapped, with only a few elements remaining that get thrown on the final. for instance, flyentology is the song im mixing now. its the bastard hybrid of no less than 5 completely different and finished versions of the jam. its a fucked up way to work but it serves a few purposes: the first is spontenaity. most of the time a piece of music, a sample, a drum break serves only as the medium to get me off my ass and writing. but ultimately its not meant to exist in that form. the second is perfectionism. once the writing and performance is done i've got the pleasure of sitting naked, drunk and crying in front of my equipment for weeks, months and on occasion years trying to tune the shit into something that feels perfect to me (at least for the time). the only way to stop is to force myself. being in a group was cool cause i could turn to someone and say "is it done?". thats why i produce for other people. its easier. other people arent as much of an asshole as i am.
    Edith: another entry from a week earlier, including this foto from the song's mixing session.

Last edited by r_z; 05-05-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So I just came across this nice cover of The Great Below by Victoria Lukas, who I vaguely knew from her work with Gerald Donald.
    This is from back in late 2019, so apologies if somebody already posted.
    Minimal atmospheric electronics, so check it out if that's your bag.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This looks interesting. Lizzy Goodman is doing a podcast every Wednesday called Difficult Artist which is where she interrogates them about their 'process' and TR is one of the guests
    https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...dcast-with-liz

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This looks interesting. Lizzy Goodman is doing a podcast every Wednesday called Difficult Artist which is where she interrogates them about their 'process' and TR is one of the guests
    https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...dcast-with-liz
    This sounds good. Trent does seem to have his set of stock answers, so here's hoping he gets thrown a few curveballs and reveals some new tidbits.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I assume someone is already making a post for this, but HOLY SHIT!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Minor spotting, but it’s been a fun couple days being a NIN fan/on ETS so why stop now? Phil Anselmo name drops TR and his studio for the recording of Pantera’s 1996 album The Great Southern Trendkill:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ph...d-that-record/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Closer - I want to fuck you like an animal crossing

https://www.gameinformer.com/gamer-c...with-nine-inch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3knic View Post
    Closer - I want to fuck you like an animal crossing

https://www.gameinformer.com/gamer-c...with-nine-inch
    Definitely not the crossover i was expecting in the year 2021 of our Lord