Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
NIN is in a weird place in pop culture. Virtually everyone knows of NIN, but most people have an image in their mind of what the band sounds like that is wrong. When I wear a NIN shirt out, I'll occasionally get comments from people who'll ask if I like Cradle of Filth and other extreme metal bands that are so far away from the sound of NIN that they might as well be asking me if I also like Brad Paisley. Which is weird, because I assume that the songs they know are Head Like a Hole and Closer, so you'd think they'd ask if I also like Skinny Puppy or Depeche Mode or something.
Yeah, same. And it's like people think NIN went away after the 90's, sometimes they don't even associate Trent's score work with them and even connect those dots at all. I'll have people come up and be like, "oh man, nice shirt. I always liked their stuff back in the day."

It's painful to hear and I'm always like, "back in the day?! Dude, where have you BEEN?! How have you not heard the new stuff?! It's just as good if not better."

Like seriously, no exaggeration, The Trilogy gets more spins for me now than TDS, and that's coming from someone who grew up watching Head Like a Hole at 5am on MTV waiting for the school bus to come. I can accept that NIN isn't a household name anymore, and that if I was 20 now maybe I'd have a hard time relating to a guy pushing 60 too, but then again we listened to the Beatles or Pink Floyd or Bowie because they were geniuses. People need to get a clue.