Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2021

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    NIN is in a weird place in pop culture. Virtually everyone knows of NIN, but most people have an image in their mind of what the band sounds like that is wrong. When I wear a NIN shirt out, I'll occasionally get comments from people who'll ask if I like Cradle of Filth and other extreme metal bands that are so far away from the sound of NIN that they might as well be asking me if I also like Brad Paisley. Which is weird, because I assume that the songs they know are Head Like a Hole and Closer, so you'd think they'd ask if I also like Skinny Puppy or Depeche Mode or something.
    Yeah, same. And it's like people think NIN went away after the 90's, sometimes they don't even associate Trent's score work with them and even connect those dots at all. I'll have people come up and be like, "oh man, nice shirt. I always liked their stuff back in the day."

It's painful to hear and I'm always like, "back in the day?! Dude, where have you BEEN?! How have you not heard the new stuff?! It's just as good if not better."

Like seriously, no exaggeration, The Trilogy gets more spins for me now than TDS, and that's coming from someone who grew up watching Head Like a Hole at 5am on MTV waiting for the school bus to come. I can accept that NIN isn't a household name anymore, and that if I was 20 now maybe I'd have a hard time relating to a guy pushing 60 too, but then again we listened to the Beatles or Pink Floyd or Bowie because they were geniuses. People need to get a clue.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Mogwai is releasing a remix EP of "Take Sides" today on Bandcamp. 1 of the remixes is by Alessandro Cortini. Link below.

https://mogwai.bandcamp.com/album/ta...om=fanpub_nfnb

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The latest Best of the Worst video (by the Red Letter Media guys) features Tim wearing a NIN shirt that appears to be from the LITS era. Check it out at the 4:27 mark.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Did anyone actually see this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...m_source=share

What was it?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Wild

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post

What was it?
    It’s working for me. Just a live version of MOTP, not sure why the official channel posted it, lol. Seems random.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    It’s working for me. Just a live version of MOTP, not sure why the official channel posted it, lol. Seems random.
    Doing a little bit of digging seems to be for an upcoming compilation release (based on (c) 2020 Black Barn Music for the YouTube post), amybe something called "Headbanger's Halloween".

Video worked for me and it's pretty good live version of MOTP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post

Sounds like shit and he calls the crowd "miserable muddy fuckheads": definately from Woodstock 94.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

What was it?

that's Woodstock 94 audio.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    TR / NIN on Pitchfork's 200 Most Influential Artists of Pitchfork's First 25 Years >> https://pitchfork.com/features/lists...rtant-artists/

Not really a ranking so much as an alphabetical list (scroll down to T)...The Fragile is a 'Notable Review' which is funny considering they link the new review of the definitive version and not that review.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    so Pitchfork's just going full revisionist history eh.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Lets just say there's been a theme...

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Pretty Hate Machine is a 10.0. Pretty Hate Machine has always been a 10.0. Ignorance Is Strength!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Pretty Hate Machine is a 10.0. Pretty Hate Machine has always been a 10.0. Ignorance Is Strength!

The pile-on is really great.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)

What was it?
    Just FYI, this is from one of those bootleg releases/compilations which are somehow quasi-legal in some countries. They most often contain NIN live recordings from either the Woodstock or Dissonance/Outside soundboards (these are also the ones that get all the limited edition bootleg vinyl releases in recent years under the same quasi-legality). Because YouTube has its YouTube Music streaming service (equivalent to Spotify or Apple Music), they integrate those releases with the official artist profile on YouTube (and monetize it with ads), so that's why it looks like the official channel is posting it. Prior to the integration, these were previously auto-posted under a separate YouTube profile called "Nine Inch Nails - Topic". It's region-restricted only to those countries where it's quasi-legal, so that's why you can't view or play it in the U.S. Here is the compilation in question:

https://www.genie.co.kr/detail/albumInfo?axnm=82315432

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Just spotted this

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm 99% sure this has never circulated before now (uploaded yesterday)

Interview with NIN members at Quart Festival (Norway) 2000. Charlie and Danny are speaking!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Oof. That bandana/sunglasses combo is not a good look for Tront.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    yeah but look how great he is in those few moments, signing cds and smiling. love the performance of terrible lie too. i wish i could jump right into that pit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Excellent disguise!

"Trent Reznor? No no no, my name is Guy Incognito."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I am unsure if this was posted. It is from 4 month ago but only has 4k views, so maybe not.

Page Hamilton talks about his relationship with TR (time stamp in video description).

Something interesting that comes up is that he visited TR and Dave Grohl in the studio (With Teeth), they we recording the cymbals separately from the rest of the kit. This makes sense since this method was used for Queens' Song for the Deaf which came out a few years prior. I remember watching or reading some interview in regards to recording the drums like that for the Queens album, and how much it irritated and stressed out the usually chill Dave.

I was just going to post this interview. I'm amazed that Page doesn't really know how his Fragile contributions were finally used.

"No, you don't" is an incredible and underrated song, balancing the friction between a distorted nightmare and a futuristic digital and relentless beat.

Hamilton's guitars really drive the song, escalating and pushing it to a clash between the synthetic and the organic. Haha. Am I overselling this?

I love the song. Still before its time. It's just a matter of time before it gets used in some epic Marvel-like trailer that will bring it to light.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hobochic View Post
    I'm amazed that Page doesn't really know how his Fragile contributions were finally used.

"No, you don't" is an incredible and underrated song, balancing the friction between a distorted nightmare and a futuristic digital and relentless beat.

Hamilton's guitars really drive the song, escalating and pushing it to a clash between the synthetic and the organic. Haha. Am I overselling this?
    Uh, Page isn't credited on this song- did I miss something?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by azad_ninja View Post
    Uh, Page isn't credited on this song- did I miss something?
    Apparently you did. Don’t worry, I wasn’t aware of this either.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    He is thanked in the album linear notes but without performance credit. Specific song (No, You Don't) was mentioned in contemporary mtv.com (I think) article.
    My theory is his part was either not used in the final mix or buried so deep it's not worth mentioning. (Page doesn't know either, according to the interview above). Why else no official credit?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I've been trying to figure out the Page Hamilton thing for years. There's an MTV article from 1998 where it says that he spent two days programming drums and loops, then there's an interview with someone else from 2002 where it mentions that he contributed guitar and he said that wasn't true. I've just updated the Page Hamilton page on the wiki, with more speculative info on this. I also changed the wording on the TF page to say "unconfirmed" instead of "uncredited."
    Last edited by piggy; 10-16-2021 at 04:30 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Oh look

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Oh sweet. Soon.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)